Kevin O'Connor: Oladipo Still Hopes He Ends Up In Miami

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Re: Kevin O'Connor: Oladipo Still Hopes He Ends Up In Miami 

Post#21 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:51 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:Why is it Victor Oladipo now feels like he can pick his destination?

He’s almost a free agent ?
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Post#22 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:53 pm

Metallikid wrote:
dans1230 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Honestly I'm pretty disappointed at what they decided to take. After all the bullshitting they chose not to take Simmons, the swaps are likely very little to zero value, and Philly had a greater chance of imploding and having actually good picks later on.

I think the point of the Oladipo move was for Hou to make another move to get more assets for him. I think they are looking to tank and try to convert some of the firsts they traded away back to them because they were protected.
IMO the Brooklyn situation is much more likely to implode than if he went to Philly.

LeVert was worth more than Oladipo; Houston did it because he's a FA so either they get to bring him back cheap since he hasn't had a great season, or they let him walk and save money. They're letting themselves be flexible. In all likelihood they'll be a middling team until Wall comes off the books, but there's a slight chance that if they re-sign Oladipo for, let's just say, less than 25 mil/per, then there's a small chance a Wall/Oladipo/Wood core becomes a West playoff team and then they try to swing for the fences by moving all those picks and like Eric Gordon for a star to have them compete with. They might even be able to absorb someone like Drummond or Love from Cleveland in exchange for more picks.

Disaster of moves from Houston.. Levert is worth 17m/season. He would of killed it on HOU
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#23 » by dirkforpres » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:57 pm

Shocker that he doesn’t see a future in Houston
FIRE JASON KIDD
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#24 » by Soulyss » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:57 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:Why is it Victor Oladipo now feels like he can pick his destination?

He will be a UFA this off-season right? so... He kind of can to some extent (even though it likely won't be Miami).
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#25 » by Patsfan1081 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:02 pm

Metallikid wrote:
Up-And-Coming wrote:Ya, I honestly can see him leave Houston and sign elsewhere in the summer. This Harden trade was more for salary relief in expiring contracts and future picks.

Honestly I'm pretty disappointed at what they decided to take. After all the bullshitting they chose not to take Simmons, the swaps are likely very little to zero value, and Philly had a greater chance of imploding and having actually good picks later on.

I don’t know, that’s like eight years of picks. KD and Harden aren’t young anymore and Kyries a head case, I wouldn’t be surprised if all three decide to leave in two years. We’re saying the same thing as we did after the KG/Pierce trade.
gmoney411
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,821

Post#26 » by gmoney411 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:06 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Up-And-Coming wrote:Ya, I honestly can see him leave Houston and sign elsewhere in the summer. This Harden trade was more for salary relief in expiring contracts and future picks.

I don’t know, that’s like eight years of picks. KD and Harden aren’t young anymore and Kyries a head case, I wouldn’t be surprised if all three decide to leave in two years. We’re saying the same thing as we did after the KG/Pierce trade.

People saying the picks are low 20s don't realize how hard it is to be good for a 7 year stretch. All 3 players will likely be retired by the time the last pick swap conveys. The Rockets very likely get multiple lottery picks if they keep all the picks and swaps.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#27 » by Metallikid » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:50 pm

gmoney411 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:

People saying the picks are low 20s don't realize how hard it is to be good for a 7 year stretch. All 3 players will likely be retired by the time the last pick swap conveys. The Rockets very likely get multiple lottery picks if they keep all the picks and swaps.

Or they stay until they all retire. The formed this Big 3 together, I think they're going to stick it out. (Kyrie might retire early tho)
gmoney411
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,821

Post#28 » by gmoney411 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:14 pm

Metallikid wrote:
gmoney411 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:

Or they stay until they all retire. The formed this Big 3 together, I think they're going to stick it out. (Kyrie might retire early tho)

They'd have to all retire old. KD and Harden will be 38 and 37 in 27. Most guys aren't LeBron and are able to stay good past the age of 34. Plus they are going to have to win soon or get close to it. If there are no finals trips before next off-season when they are all FAs it will be hard to sell them on staying is my guess.
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,091

Post#29 » by art_tatum » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:21 pm

Pythagoras wrote:
art_tatum wrote:
ChuckChilly wrote:This guy had one really good season and it made him think he was a superstar. Amazing.

Even then he chucked his team out of the playoffs. Indiana could've beat the cavs in game 7 and 6? If he didn't chuck and brick like 4 straight shots in the final minutes.

He's never been efficient, im not high on oladipo. Respect his swag tho haha

This is a bit of revisionist history. Oladipo was probably a top 15 player in the 17-18 season. And he absolutely played well in that Cle-Ind series, while delivering a very strong overall performance in game 7. Ind lost that series because Lebron went thermonuclear destroyer in that final game.

Dipo has had his career derailed by injuries as much as anything else, but he’s still a really good player who can probably help a contender.

I'm sure they wouldn't have been in that position without dipo, but I just remember the final couple mins in game 7. He kept going one on one without looking for teammates or running a play. But I guess he had the right to do it as the main guy.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,893

Post#30 » by Shock Defeat » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:35 pm

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
dans1230 wrote:I think the point of the Oladipo move was for Hou to make another move to get more assets for him. I think they are looking to tank and try to convert some of the firsts they traded away back to them because they were protected.
IMO the Brooklyn situation is much more likely to implode than if he went to Philly.

LeVert was worth more than Oladipo; Houston did it because he's a FA so either they get to bring him back cheap since he hasn't had a great season, or they let him walk and save money. They're letting themselves be flexible. In all likelihood they'll be a middling team until Wall comes off the books, but there's a slight chance that if they re-sign Oladipo for, let's just say, less than 25 mil/per, then there's a small chance a Wall/Oladipo/Wood core becomes a West playoff team and then they try to swing for the fences by moving all those picks and like Eric Gordon for a star to have them compete with. They might even be able to absorb someone like Drummond or Love from Cleveland in exchange for more picks.

Disaster of moves from Houston.. Levert is worth 17m/season. He would of killed it on HOU

Levert is not a needle moving player, maybe he helps the Rockets win a few more games but for what? By the time that the Rockets might have accumulated enough assets to contend again, Levert will be a free agent. He does not help the Rockets win a championship.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#31 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:37 pm

art_tatum wrote:
ChuckChilly wrote:This guy had one really good season and it made him think he was a superstar. Amazing.

Even then he chucked his team out of the playoffs. Indiana could've beat the cavs in game 7 and 6? If he didn't chuck and brick like 4 straight shots in the final minutes.

He's never been efficient, im not high on oladipo. Respect his swag tho haha

Thats silly.

The Pacers wouldn't have been in that series in the first place if it weren't for Oladipo.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#32 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:39 pm

Metallikid wrote: they get to bring him back cheap since he hasn't had a great season

Like.....what?

Do ya'll even watch him play?

He's averaging 20/6/4/2, playing good defense, and has hit some clutch shots.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#33 » by Metallikid » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:19 am

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
Metallikid wrote: they get to bring him back cheap since he hasn't had a great season

Like.....what?

Do ya'll even watch him play?

He's averaging 20/6/4/2, playing good defense, and has hit some clutch shots.

My bad, I hadn't heard that yet it's been all Sabonis. I figured he'd been disappointing. He's not very efficient usually.
Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,277

Post#34 » by Hoop Hunter » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:06 am

Victor's first season with the Pacers was amazing. He was around 24, 5, 5. Hit so many clutch shots and won games. Would just take over when needed. He had a better season than PG13 ever had with the Pacers. Took LeBron to 7 games, if the foul and goaltend had of been called in the final minute, Pacers would have most likely won series.

Flash forward to now, Victor is not the same player. He has looked A LOT better than last season though. He is currently only the 3rd or 4th best player on the team and wanting max money. He's not a Max player. Not sure if he'll ever be an all star game again.

Thrilled to get LeVert for Vic. I don't think the Nets would have swapped players straight up. LeVert is a similar player with similar stats this season, but younger, 2 inches taller, under contract for less money, plus a 2nd round pick. Did I say I was thrilled!
kombayn
Assistant Coach
And1: 746

Post#35 » by kombayn » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:12 am

The trade still hasn't gone through with the Pacers & Rockets. Are they trying to move Oladipo to a different team?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#36 » by Wizop » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:40 pm

kombayn wrote:The trade still hasn't gone through with the Pacers & Rockets. Are they trying to move Oladipo to a different team?
It is a separate trade and can't be made until after the Harden trade is finalized. Player physicals are still in process.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
kombayn
Assistant Coach
And1: 746

Post#37 » by kombayn » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:51 pm

Wizop wrote:
kombayn wrote:The trade still hasn't gone through with the Pacers & Rockets. Are they trying to move Oladipo to a different team?
It is a separate trade and can't be made until after the Harden trade is finalized. Player physicals are still in process.

Sent from my phone.

Oh ok! That makes sense. I don't think the Rockets will be that bad if they gel. Christian Wood is going to make everyone better around him with all the attention he'll command. They could always swing Oladipo to a different team at the deadline.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#38 » by celtxman » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:23 pm

It feels like once again Charlotte is in the mix. Houston looking to tank gets assets for Oladipo and Cody Zeller from Charlotte. Zeller is also expiring so Houston can get more assets for teams gearing up for free agency after the season. Why would Oladipo stay in Charlotte? Money from Charlotte's Bird rights that he couldn't get even from Miami.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."

Return to The General Board