Ant-Man ain't it

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid, jamaalstar21, infinite11285, ken6199, BombsquadSammy

Quentin
Rookie
Posts: 1,200
And1: 902
Joined: Dec 18, 2006

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#161 » by Quentin » Mon Feb 1, 2021 7:56 pm

Assists don't mean a thing when the guys your passing to can't hit a wide open layup or 3 pointer.
User avatar
Ron Swanson
RealGM
Posts: 16,053
And1: 12,088
Joined: May 15, 2013

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#162 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Feb 1, 2021 8:21 pm

I'm not gonna pretend that I've watched him a bunch, but it's my absolute favorite when people substitute actual meaningful basketball analysis with things like "he's just low IQ" and, "he just doesn't have good feel" when we're talking about a 19-year old kid. As if that tells us anything other than that, idk, he's probably not Lebron James, I guess.

:dontknow:
Ambrose
Veteran
Posts: 2,501
And1: 2,151
Joined: Jul 05, 2014

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#163 » by Ambrose » Mon Feb 1, 2021 8:47 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
Quentin wrote:A lot of crow will be eaten in this thread. Last night showed how good this kid is going to be....despite having to overcome the Timberwolves organization. I was wowed.


Highly unlikely. A three game hot streak from deep isn't indicative of his actual ability.


Has very little to do with a three game hot streak from deep. How about you watch the Wolves games before giving your opinion?

bisme37 wrote:I love how there are 8 pages here full of people acting like they watch Timberwolves games.


Lots of :clown: in this thread, can't wait to quote them all at some point in the future when Ant becomes a star.


I'll get right on that. Can't wait to be quoted. :lol:
User avatar
jamaalstar21
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 3,300
And1: 5,986
Joined: Jul 21, 2016
 

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#164 » by jamaalstar21 » Mon Feb 1, 2021 9:09 pm

I'm optimistic about the Ant Man. He's not a great basketball player right now, but he is the physical beast people hoped he would be. Pretty awful roster situation for him. He's forced to be a small forward since we don't have ANY and we have 200 guards. Everyone wants to dribble, and no one wants to do much off-ball.

People saying Waiters and stuff like that really aren't noticing how big and explosive this boy is. Physically, he's a broader Dwyane Wade, a more explosive Tyreke Evans; way more than a Waiters, Eric Gordon type.

The potential is strong in this one. Whether that results in him becoming an all-star level player in the West remains to be seen.
The411
Senior
Posts: 545
And1: 344
Joined: Dec 06, 2014
         

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#165 » by The411 » Mon Feb 1, 2021 9:34 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I'm not gonna pretend that I've watched him a bunch, but it's my absolute favorite when people substitute actual meaningful basketball analysis with things like "he's just low IQ" and, "he just doesn't have good feel" when we're talking about a 19-year old kid. As if that tells us anything other than that, idk, he's probably not Lebron James, I guess.

:dontknow:


The issue I have is that his shooting mechanics are poor. Certainly guys can improve on their shooting, but there is a ceiling as one isn't going to become Steph Curry simply by living in the gym.

He's a top tier athlete but I don't think it's unreasonable to question his ability to shoot. He's a volume type scorer and those tend not to do well if their efficiency is too low.
Quentin
Rookie
Posts: 1,200
And1: 902
Joined: Dec 18, 2006

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#166 » by Quentin » Mon Feb 1, 2021 9:42 pm

The411 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:I'm not gonna pretend that I've watched him a bunch, but it's my absolute favorite when people substitute actual meaningful basketball analysis with things like "he's just low IQ" and, "he just doesn't have good feel" when we're talking about a 19-year old kid. As if that tells us anything other than that, idk, he's probably not Lebron James, I guess.

:dontknow:


The issue I have is that his shooting mechanics are poor. Certainly guys can improve on their shooting, but there is a ceiling as one isn't going to become Steph Curry simply by living in the gym.

He's a top tier athlete but I don't think it's unreasonable to question his ability to shoot. He's a volume type scorer and those tend not to do well if their efficiency is too low.


Umm, what?
The411
Senior
Posts: 545
And1: 344
Joined: Dec 06, 2014
         

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#167 » by The411 » Mon Feb 1, 2021 9:46 pm

Quentin wrote:
The411 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:I'm not gonna pretend that I've watched him a bunch, but it's my absolute favorite when people substitute actual meaningful basketball analysis with things like "he's just low IQ" and, "he just doesn't have good feel" when we're talking about a 19-year old kid. As if that tells us anything other than that, idk, he's probably not Lebron James, I guess.

:dontknow:


The issue I have is that his shooting mechanics are poor. Certainly guys can improve on their shooting, but there is a ceiling as one isn't going to become Steph Curry simply by living in the gym.

He's a top tier athlete but I don't think it's unreasonable to question his ability to shoot. He's a volume type scorer and those tend not to do well if their efficiency is too low.


Umm, what?


His shooting mechanics are poor.
Lockdown504090
Veteran
Posts: 2,941
And1: 2,647
Joined: Nov 24, 2015
         

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#168 » by Lockdown504090 » Mon Feb 1, 2021 9:47 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:I'm optimistic about the Ant Man. He's not a great basketball player right now, but he is the physical beast people hoped he would be. Pretty awful roster situation for him. He's forced to be a small forward since we don't have ANY and we have 200 guards. Everyone wants to dribble, and no one wants to do much off-ball.

People saying Waiters and stuff like that really aren't noticing how big and explosive this boy is. Physically, he's a broader Dwyane Wade, a more explosive Tyreke Evans; way more than a Waiters, Eric Gordon type.

The potential is strong in this one. Whether that results in him becoming an all-star level player in the West remains to be seen.

he literally is the bigger version of clippers eric gordon, i like that comparison.
Big J
Senior
Posts: 590
And1: 802
Joined: May 26, 2020

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#169 » by Big J » Mon Feb 1, 2021 9:59 pm

Just listen to an interview with Wiseman vs an interview with Ant. It's like night and day. They both have a ways to go on the court, but I question whether Ant has what it takes upstairs to ever be great.
User avatar
jamaalstar21
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 3,300
And1: 5,986
Joined: Jul 21, 2016
 

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#170 » by jamaalstar21 » Mon Feb 1, 2021 10:16 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:I'm optimistic about the Ant Man. He's not a great basketball player right now, but he is the physical beast people hoped he would be. Pretty awful roster situation for him. He's forced to be a small forward since we don't have ANY and we have 200 guards. Everyone wants to dribble, and no one wants to do much off-ball.

People saying Waiters and stuff like that really aren't noticing how big and explosive this boy is. Physically, he's a broader Dwyane Wade, a more explosive Tyreke Evans; way more than a Waiters, Eric Gordon type.

The potential is strong in this one. Whether that results in him becoming an all-star level player in the West remains to be seen.

he literally is the bigger version of clippers eric gordon, i like that comparison.


Clippers Eric Gordon had more game though. Before injuries got him, I legit thought he was going to be a top 3 shooting guard in the NBA. Shot the 3-ball, drew fouls, dunked on guys heads, had some pick and roll chops. He wasn't an immediate good defender, but I thought he was going to be solid in his prime. He had a decent comeback to become a very impactful player in Houston, but he's definitely a player who had his prime taken away by the injury gods.

Edwards is a little more raw, especially dribbling and shooting the ball. Size wise... Gordon was drafted at 6'3.25 in shoes, 6'9" wingspan, 222lbs. 40 inch vert(!). I don't have a trusted measurement on Edwards. I've heard him listed from 6'4-6'6" in shoes, 6'10" wingpsan., 230lbs.
BadWolf
General Manager
Posts: 7,767
And1: 2,175
Joined: Jun 06, 2006

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#171 » by BadWolf » Mon Feb 1, 2021 10:28 pm

The411 wrote:
Quentin wrote:
The411 wrote:
The issue I have is that his shooting mechanics are poor. Certainly guys can improve on their shooting, but there is a ceiling as one isn't going to become Steph Curry simply by living in the gym.

He's a top tier athlete but I don't think it's unreasonable to question his ability to shoot. He's a volume type scorer and those tend not to do well if their efficiency is too low.


Umm, what?


His shooting mechanics are poor.


I thnk his shooting form is very nice.
I also think his eurostep is elite. Ok, will be elite.
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,784
And1: 4,607
Joined: Jan 19, 2014
Location: Perth, Western Australia
 

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#172 » by Alonzo_Morning » Mon Feb 1, 2021 10:30 pm

The411 wrote:
Quentin wrote:
The411 wrote:
The issue I have is that his shooting mechanics are poor. Certainly guys can improve on their shooting, but there is a ceiling as one isn't going to become Steph Curry simply by living in the gym.

He's a top tier athlete but I don't think it's unreasonable to question his ability to shoot. He's a volume type scorer and those tend not to do well if their efficiency is too low.


Umm, what?


His shooting mechanics are poor.


I don't think so
Quentin
Rookie
Posts: 1,200
And1: 902
Joined: Dec 18, 2006

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#173 » by Quentin » Mon Feb 1, 2021 10:32 pm

Alonzo_Morning wrote:
The411 wrote:
Quentin wrote:
Umm, what?


His shooting mechanics are poor.


I don't think so


He has a sweet jumper and great mechanics. Maybe the guy was thinking his shot selection is poor? That I agree with...but it's improving.
Lockdown504090
Veteran
Posts: 2,941
And1: 2,647
Joined: Nov 24, 2015
         

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#174 » by Lockdown504090 » Mon Feb 1, 2021 10:37 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:I'm optimistic about the Ant Man. He's not a great basketball player right now, but he is the physical beast people hoped he would be. Pretty awful roster situation for him. He's forced to be a small forward since we don't have ANY and we have 200 guards. Everyone wants to dribble, and no one wants to do much off-ball.

People saying Waiters and stuff like that really aren't noticing how big and explosive this boy is. Physically, he's a broader Dwyane Wade, a more explosive Tyreke Evans; way more than a Waiters, Eric Gordon type.

The potential is strong in this one. Whether that results in him becoming an all-star level player in the West remains to be seen.

he literally is the bigger version of clippers eric gordon, i like that comparison.


Clippers Eric Gordon had more game though. Before injuries got him, I legit thought he was going to be a top 3 shooting guard in the NBA. Shot the 3-ball, drew fouls, dunked on guys heads, had some pick and roll chops. He wasn't an immediate good defender, but I thought he was going to be solid in his prime. He had a decent comeback to become a very impactful player in Houston, but he's definitely a player who had his prime taken away by the injury gods.

Edwards is a little more raw, especially dribbling and shooting the ball. Size wise... Gordon was drafted at 6'3.25 in shoes, 6'9" wingspan, 222lbs. 40 inch vert(!). I don't have a trusted measurement on Edwards. I've heard him listed from 6'4-6'6" in shoes, 6'10" wingpsan., 230lbs.

edwards is skilled hes just a dumbass, and i'm not sure if he thinks its a problem or wants to change that rn.
Quentin
Rookie
Posts: 1,200
And1: 902
Joined: Dec 18, 2006

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#175 » by Quentin » Mon Feb 1, 2021 10:41 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:he literally is the bigger version of clippers eric gordon, i like that comparison.


Clippers Eric Gordon had more game though. Before injuries got him, I legit thought he was going to be a top 3 shooting guard in the NBA. Shot the 3-ball, drew fouls, dunked on guys heads, had some pick and roll chops. He wasn't an immediate good defender, but I thought he was going to be solid in his prime. He had a decent comeback to become a very impactful player in Houston, but he's definitely a player who had his prime taken away by the injury gods.

Edwards is a little more raw, especially dribbling and shooting the ball. Size wise... Gordon was drafted at 6'3.25 in shoes, 6'9" wingspan, 222lbs. 40 inch vert(!). I don't have a trusted measurement on Edwards. I've heard him listed from 6'4-6'6" in shoes, 6'10" wingpsan., 230lbs.

edwards is skilled hes just a dumbass, and i'm not sure if he thinks its a problem or wants to change that rn.


How is he a dumbass?
User avatar
DoubleLintendre
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,250
And1: 8,567
Joined: Jul 15, 2012
 

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#176 » by DoubleLintendre » Mon Feb 1, 2021 10:45 pm

All I know about the kid is that his athletic ability is off the charts. I jumped out my seat at this unexpected dunk vs the Warriors



Can't say much for his head, but his physical body is a natural.
FinnTheHuman
Analyst
Posts: 3,427
And1: 2,264
Joined: Nov 22, 2012
   

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#177 » by FinnTheHuman » Mon Feb 1, 2021 11:02 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Yeah.. I've watched quite a few Wolves games this year (in chunks, not watching the whole thing) and I definitely dont feel like he's decent in every aspect of the game. Maybe relative to him being a raw prospect? The playmaking and rebounding especially. Shooting/scoring I'm not that worried about, but everything else, felt like he needed a lot of work. But like I said, watching him against CLE, that looked very different to me, and definite reasons for optimism going forward. I didnt see last 2 so I can't really speak to those 2, if it was an incremental climb the past 3 games or if it just came outta nowhere


His passing is what's been the brightest aspect of his game during his slump, the fact that you're saying that his playmaking especially worried you is what reveals that you haven't been watching, which is expected of a non-Wolves fan, but then it is also expected to listen to the Wolves fans on this matter instead of sharing uninformed opinions.

Literally every game thread and every post-match analysis on the Wolves board during Ant's cold shooting streak pointed out his passing as the silver lining in the whole mess, so you don't have to believe me, just go and check those threads. Reading the defense and reacting appropriately has been his most consistent skill so far, and it's probably the best proof that his bbiq is pretty high, and bbiq is the best indicator of the ability to improve.




Again... I disagree.

Edwards has had some next-level passing moments... but those have been blips. In fact, after an early four-assist performance where Edwards made some shockingly clever passes, Saunders went out of his way to mention his passing publicly.

Edwards proceeded to take 40 shots over the next two games (15 - 40 fg) with only 2 assists.

Most NBA players can pass to some degree. Some can pass better than others. Some are athletic enough to put themselves and teammates in great spots for those passes.

But they have to be willing to actually pass. There have been moments where Edwards seemed very unwilling to share the ball. In fact, he had a negative TO/A ratio until last night.

Again, maybe last night is more the norm than the anomaly. Only time will tell.


If the sample is small enough, context matters more. He was hitting guys with nice passes in that 40 fg/2 asst period, but they were literally bricking everything. Isn't a surprise when you're playing on an offensively least talented bench unit in the league.
User avatar
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 53,315
And1: 14,917
Joined: Jul 16, 2006
Location: Parts Unknown
   

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#178 » by FNQ » Mon Feb 1, 2021 11:33 pm

Quentin wrote:
Alonzo_Morning wrote:
The411 wrote:
His shooting mechanics are poor.


I don't think so


He has a sweet jumper and great mechanics. Maybe the guy was thinking his shot selection is poor? That I agree with...but it's improving.


Yeah if by bad mechanics you mean results, yes, his mechanics have not been great

Havent seen any issue with form that's noticeable, and honestly what really matters is that if he's missing, its somewhat consistent. Like same release point, same form, same issue with the shot (typically on the mark left/right, but off on distance).

Take Wiggins - his form is fine, but he'll bounce a few long shots off heel of the rim off to one side, and thats when you think "Ok, so he's not going to be an elite shooter". I dont think Ant has elite shooting in his future, but can he be a mid 30s+ 3pt shooter? I dont see why not at this point
gorz
Rookie
Posts: 1,150
And1: 934
Joined: Apr 03, 2018

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#179 » by gorz » Mon Feb 1, 2021 11:46 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:I'm optimistic about the Ant Man. He's not a great basketball player right now, but he is the physical beast people hoped he would be. Pretty awful roster situation for him. He's forced to be a small forward since we don't have ANY and we have 200 guards. Everyone wants to dribble, and no one wants to do much off-ball.

People saying Waiters and stuff like that really aren't noticing how big and explosive this boy is. Physically, he's a broader Dwyane Wade, a more explosive Tyreke Evans; way more than a Waiters, Eric Gordon type.

The potential is strong in this one. Whether that results in him becoming an all-star level player in the West remains to be seen.

he literally is the bigger version of clippers eric gordon, i like that comparison.


Clippers Eric Gordon had more game though. Before injuries got him, I legit thought he was going to be a top 3 shooting guard in the NBA. Shot the 3-ball, drew fouls, dunked on guys heads, had some pick and roll chops. He wasn't an immediate good defender, but I thought he was going to be solid in his prime. He had a decent comeback to become a very impactful player in Houston, but he's definitely a player who had his prime taken away by the injury gods.

Edwards is a little more raw, especially dribbling and shooting the ball. Size wise... Gordon was drafted at 6'3.25 in shoes, 6'9" wingspan, 222lbs. 40 inch vert(!). I don't have a trusted measurement on Edwards. I've heard him listed from 6'4-6'6" in shoes, 6'10" wingpsan., 230lbs.



Eric Gordon before the injury was really nice..he was like a bigger stronger Ben Gordon with tight handles and nice jumpshot he played much bigger than his size. Calling edwards raw is bit misleading Edwards is pretty skilled himself he has good handles and range but his jumpshot is little bit more streaky than Eric. I think the thing I like the most about edwards is his physicality not afraid to drive in there and use his body to go right at the bigs at the basket. Hes also pretty shifty not just a north south guy off the dribble.
Time for Change
Pro Prospect
Posts: 914
And1: 180
Joined: Mar 23, 2008
Location: Bay Area, California

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#180 » by Time for Change » Tue Feb 2, 2021 1:47 am

Historically there has never been a great player who was the worst player in the league at one point, no matter how raw or young. However Brandon Ingram is finally becoming the exception to that rule, looking like a legit allstar, so there is a slim chance Edwards will put it together.

Return to The General Board