Ant-Man is it

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,220

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#61 » by brutalitops » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:41 am

Big J wrote:Did Wolves not learn their lessons from JR Rider & Wiggins fam? This dude is a legit bum, no cap. Should be lit in the dunk contest tho.

I give this thread a 0.5/10, nowhere you've said why he's a bum, Why it was a bad pick, Your performance is worse then Edwards lazily chucking flat footed 3's

For Edwards, Ild still take him pick 1, He has had a horrific shooting stretch, Where his form is getting lazy, which tells me he's not engaged

Which is correct, He's currently a 19 year old, 6'3" rookie playing the PF spot at times

His shot when he's engaged is good, His physicality is amazing for a young player, Rookie's get stuff all contact calls, Put him on the line for obvious fouls he see's the ball though the hoop. Im really suprised Sanders hasnt blown up to get the ref's attention at this.

Still raw, handles looks good in flashes which is more then JR Rider/Wiggins ever showed, As he can at least get to his spot

Im happy with him, Unfortunately our team's a mess, Throw Lamelo in our team where we have D'lo/Rubio/Malik who need the ball, Jordan McLaughlan whos funnily enough one of our best 5 players who also needs the ball, Where the hell does Ant man get to learn with ball in hand? Hes being a spot up shooter in offense, and guarding guys who he's giving up about 20 pounds and 6 inches of height
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#62 » by DroseReturnChi » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:57 am

Big J wrote:Did Wolves not learn their lessons from JR Rider & Wiggins fam? This dude is a legit bum, no cap. Should be lit in the dunk contest tho.

i mean wolves think these type of knuckleheads are so talented they will ignore intangibles like worth ethic.
Another guy thats hates basketball but do it as a living for 10million dollars. Another bust who will retire as soon as his rookie contract expires.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#63 » by NoZoLakers » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:02 am

jbk1234 wrote:I absolutely would've traded out of No. 1 last draft and not worried about what sports pundits said about the return. It was pretty clear the didn't have anyone rated that high.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
maybe no one wanted to trade up to #1, couldlve said same thing during Bennet #1 draft
Midw35t
Senior
And1: 564

Post#64 » by Midw35t » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:29 pm

brutalitops wrote:

I give this thread a 0.5/10, nowhere you've said why he's a bum, Why it was a bad pick, Your performance is worse then Edwards lazily chucking flat footed 3's

For Edwards, Ild still take him pick 1, He has had a horrific shooting stretch, Where his form is getting lazy, which tells me he's not engaged

Which is correct, He's currently a 19 year old, 6'3" rookie playing the PF spot at times

His shot when he's engaged is good, His physicality is amazing for a young player, Rookie's get stuff all contact calls, Put him on the line for obvious fouls he see's the ball though the hoop. Im really suprised Sanders hasnt blown up to get the ref's attention at this.

Still raw, handles looks good in flashes which is more then JR Rider/Wiggins ever showed, As he can at least get to his spot

Im happy with him, Unfortunately our team's a mess, Throw Lamelo in our team where we have D'lo/Rubio/Malik who need the ball, Jordan McLaughlan whos funnily enough one of our best 5 players who also needs the ball, Where the hell does Ant man get to learn with ball in hand? Hes being a spot up shooter in offense, and guarding guys who he's giving up about 20 pounds and 6 inches of height

Assuming there were no trade out options, Wiseman should have been the pick.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,571

Post#65 » by Harry Garris » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:33 pm

Meliorus wrote:He had horrible efficiency in college and has horrible efficiency in NBA. IF you can't even perform better against inferior competition, you're just unable to score efficiently at the next level. Was a bust from the start.

Yeah and we know this because a player has never improved their offensive efficiency before. It is truly an impossible task and cannot be done. This is why drafting players is so easy because if they can shoot in college it translates to the NBA and if they can't then they will never learn how. There are no exceptions to this rule. Also I'm smarter than most NBA GMs.

/s
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#66 » by Lalouie » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:40 pm

going back and listening to some old scouting, no one ackowledged how badly this guy was shooting in college. they never touched on it once.

they like his athleticism, his agressiveness, and his body. they calculated an investment based on his limited experience in organized ball. the phrase i kept hearing was he's never had good coaching. essentially they were implying he was a neophyte. based on that and his hops, they projected. it was the worst excuse for drafting a #3 i've ever heard. usually it's "he's 7' and you can't teach height". antman is just a guard!!! in other words they overthUnk him and convinced themselves he was worth the pick. similarly and conversely they outhought themselves on wiseman as he was pretty much the only top player who was amply criticized
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,817

Post#67 » by HotelVitale » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:43 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:He has the athleticism of a young Wade.
He picked up Bball late. He's a player I'd wait for 3-4 years in the NBA system before calling a bust.
Then no1 should have drafted him and let him play in college for 3-4 years. Theres alot of guys drafted purely on physical ability and bust our of the league where if maybe if they did stay in college longer they would end up having a better chance at a long and successful NBA career. Now honestly if i knew I was going to get drafted high im taking my money and running. So it ees wat it ees.

Think you're misunderstanding or being too loose with 'physical ability' here. Edwards doesn't just have pogo-stick athleticism or freakish length and speed or something, the athleticism that's so tantalizing is already wrapped up in a ton of full-on NBA-level bball skills. He has great gather and finish moves, the ability to absorb and finish through contact, a compact stepback jumper, etc. He really does have all the tools a Dwyane Wade or D Mitchell does.

The problem with him as a prospect and now is that he doesn't quite seem interested in putting it together and competing, and he comes and goes so so much in games. His shooting might not be great ever but even if he could just go to work driving he should be really good, and there's something holding him back there. He's always been a risky prospect because of that, but it's important to keep in mind that a) he's not like many 'raw' players of the past and b) this was a really weird year for top prospects. He wouldn't have gone top-4 many years, but at the same time any scout would tell you it's well within the realm of possibility that he becomes an all-NBA guy.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#68 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:53 pm

For the majority here that doesn't watch him but comments that he's a bust based on stats.

5/14 fg% 2/7 for 3, 6/6 FTs, Wolves were +9 when he was in. Yeah, not efficient, but a lot of the things he does look good and promising.

The only thing he doesn't do well right now is hit shots, but his form looks good, fis ft% looks good, his decisions look good, he just can't make a lot of shots that I'm sure he's gonna make in half a year or a year, or year and a half, at some point not that far in the future I'm sure.

Picked up basketball late, is 19. Stop making these dumb threads about 19 year olds with a month and a half of nba career.
Quentin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,205

Post#69 » by Quentin » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:06 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:

For the majority here that doesn't watch him but comments that he's a bust here based on stats.

5/14 fg% 2/7 for 3, 6/6 FTs, Wolves were +9 when he was in. Yeah, not efficient, but a lot of the things he does look good and promising.

The only thing he doesn't do well right now is hit shots, but his form looks good, fis ft% looks good, his decisions look good, he just can't make a lot of shots that I'm sure he's gonna make in half a year or a year, or year and a half, at some point not that far in the future I'm sure.

Picked up basketball late, is 19. Stop making these dumb threads about 19 year olds with a month and a half of nba career.

I'll say this much, he has been driving it to the hoop often. The refs almost never gave him a foul call (2 trips to the line over the previous 6 games before last night). Last night they finally gave him some justice.
I hang out here and mnrubecentral
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,505

Post#70 » by The Laker Kid » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:07 pm

Sofia wrote:Surely I'm not the only one who saw the thread and thought "Who the **** is Ant Man?"

I don’t know who is “ant man” either, but I’m a casual fan, so no surprise there. Ant... Anthony Tolliver?
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#71 » by Meliorus » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:40 am

Harry Garris wrote:
Meliorus wrote:He had horrible efficiency in college and has horrible efficiency in NBA. IF you can't even perform better against inferior competition, you're just unable to score efficiently at the next level. Was a bust from the start.

Yeah and we know this because a player has never improved their offensive efficiency before. It is truly an impossible task and cannot be done. This is why drafting players is so easy because if they can shoot in college it translates to the NBA and if they can't then they will never learn how. There are no exceptions to this rule. Also I'm smarter than most NBA GMs.

/s

There are no examples of guys with horrible efficiency to become good in the NBA. There are examples of guys who had good efficiency who are busts, that's normal and unpredictable. However, if you can't even shoot 40% fg in college (Cole Anthony, Anthony Edwards), you really expect to do it against longer, more atheltic NBA defenders? Give me a break.

It's not about being inefficient in college, it's about being historically inefficient in college. Like literally in the 1st or 2nd percentile. Complete trash.
h4rrison
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,102

Post#72 » by h4rrison » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:59 am

JimmyPlopper wrote:
DroseReturnChi wrote:
He picked up Bball late.
He's a player I'd wait for 3-4 years in the NBA system before calling a bust.

he doesnt even like ball and prefers football. whats the point of wasting a top 5 pick on him?

Michael Jordan seemed to like baseball a whole lot. I wouldn't have minded drafting him though.

Jordan said baseball was always his second favorite sport and he only pursued it for his father who loved baseball over basketball. Whereas Edwards admitted football is his preferred sport.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#73 » by Da ThRONe » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:00 am

This has been the worse year to be a rookie. No summer league truncated preseason. These young men didn't even get a full college season. Let's pump the brakes on calling these guys out after 18% of the season.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,367

Post#74 » by Ambrose » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:05 am

Capn'O wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
Capn'O wrote:We have this conversation annually. Most one and done rookies come in with talent but without the ability to do anything consistently and contribute towards winning. Particularly any that anticipate scoring at volume early on. Advanced metrics were BRUTAL towards RJ Barrett last year. His play lately suggests he'll be challenging for All Star berths as early as next season.

This year's class didn't even get a summer league or full training camp. Rawer players are getting slammed by this. Another twenty games in and we'll likely start to see what guys like Edwards are capable of. As a talent, he reminds me of Mitch Richmond. That's a very high outcome for him though, which would be highly contingent on him exhibiting a passion for the game.

No, it really doesn't.

His Jan splits of 19/7/3.5 with good defense on 53% TS would put him into consideration right now had he done the same in December.

That's not an all star.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,977

Post#75 » by tmorgan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:30 am

Not a good year to be picking first. Don’t really blame Minny for trying. Things can change — if Edwards cares enough. We shall see.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,571

Post#76 » by Harry Garris » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:40 am

Meliorus wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:

/s

There are no examples of guys with horrible efficiency to become good in the NBA. There are examples of guys who had good efficiency who are busts, that's normal and unpredictable. However, if you can't even shoot 40% fg in college (Cole Anthony, Anthony Edwards), you really expect to do it against longer, more atheltic NBA defenders? Give me a break.

It's not about being inefficient in college, it's about being historically inefficient in college. Like literally in the 1st or 2nd percentile. Complete trash.

First of all I sincerely doubt that that's true. Secondly, Anthony Edwards' inefficiency is less about his shot and more about his shot selection. He takes some of the dumbest and worse quality shots I've ever seen on a regular basis. If he was exclusively taking open threes in rythmn he'd be a much better shooter.

And if he wants to stick around in the NBA long term he'll have to improve his shot selection so I'm sure it will happen. Just don't write guys off 15 games into their careers, especially when there is an easily explainable reason why they've been struggling that wouldn't be very difficult to fix.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,767

Post#77 » by Jadoogar » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:43 am

DroseReturnChi wrote:
He picked up Bball late.
He's a player I'd wait for 3-4 years in the NBA system before calling a bust.

he doesnt even like ball and prefers football. whats the point of wasting a top 5 pick on him?

I don't think he should have been #1 pick but lots of players prefer football. Dwade said the exact same thing in college.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,079

Post#78 » by MrBigShot » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:03 am

Brandon Ingram averaged 8ppg on 36% shooting pre all star break his rookie season.

Give the kid some time, he's got really great physical tools.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#79 » by LesGrossman » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:16 am

MrBigShot wrote:Brandon Ingram averaged 8ppg on 36% shooting pre all star break his rookie season.

Give the kid some time, he's got really great physical tools.

I just watched a documentary on Dirk that reminded me of his early years. He was awful, weak and got pushed around a lot. Both he and Nash, watching them, one couldnt not possibly predict where they would end up - both being MVP's.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Post#80 » by AbeVigodaLive » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:52 am

His past 4 games:

15 - 56 fg in only 97 minutes... but only 4 assists in those 97 minutes... and 9 rebounds and 8 TOs.

You know when you play pickup with guys who are fairly new to the game and don't know how to play hoops... so they end up shooting it almost every time because that's really the only option that's open for them and the rim is the only thing not moving on them?

That's sorta like the Anthony Edwards Experience right now.

Return to The General Board