Gobert = MVP?

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid, jamaalstar21, infinite11285, ken6199, BombsquadSammy

Is Rudy Gobert a legit MVP candidate?

Yes
42
33%
No
86
67%
 
Total votes: 128

durantbird
Sophomore
Posts: 224
And1: 36
Joined: Nov 30, 2019

Gobert = MVP? 

Post#1 » by durantbird » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:22 pm

Is Rudy Gobert a legit MVP candidate?
Some smartguy
Junior
Posts: 298
And1: 154
Joined: Oct 26, 2020
 

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#2 » by Some smartguy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:24 pm

No.
MindState
Pro Prospect
Posts: 965
And1: 1,304
Joined: Jul 05, 2018

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#3 » by MindState » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:25 pm

Numbers arent good enough.
User avatar
eminence
General Manager
Posts: 8,678
And1: 5,322
Joined: Mar 07, 2015
 

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#4 » by eminence » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:25 pm

Yes.

I'd have him 5th right now (behind Jokic/LeBron/Embiid/Kawhi).
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
'19-'20 2nd of 17
Some smartguy
Junior
Posts: 298
And1: 154
Joined: Oct 26, 2020
 

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#5 » by Some smartguy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:26 pm

Offence is a part of basketball, and Gobert is only elite defensively, which matters less in the MVP race.
User avatar
Woodsanity
RealGM
Posts: 10,501
And1: 4,203
Joined: Mar 30, 2012
 

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#6 » by Woodsanity » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:31 pm

Not a serious contender but he should be higher up than Mitchell for anyone who knows anything.
twix2500 wrote:If Lebron went to NY and Melo to Miami, Melo would have a trophy and Lebron would not.

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:The more I watch basketball, the more I realize that Kobe, in his absolute prime (2006-2008), was a top 2 player of all-time, only second to Jordan.
Johnny Tomala
Rookie
Posts: 1,029
And1: 774
Joined: May 04, 2017
     

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#7 » by Johnny Tomala » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:31 pm

Nope. Player with no offensive game has 0 chance of being a MVP.
User avatar
Balls Deep
Sophomore
Posts: 157
And1: 258
Joined: Jun 11, 2019

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#8 » by Balls Deep » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:34 pm

Gobert is one of those NBA players that's there just because of size/length. Those kinds of players should never win an MVP.
gabri3l3
Junior
Posts: 273
And1: 289
Joined: Jun 25, 2015
   

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#9 » by gabri3l3 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:40 pm

Balls Deep wrote:Gobert is one of those NBA players that's there just because of size/length. Those kinds of players should never win an MVP.


we've seen a lot of players with similar size and length but nowhere near the same impact Gobert has. Dumb post.
User avatar
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
Posts: 13,008
And1: 23,759
Joined: Jun 10, 2013
       

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#10 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:43 pm

Some smartguy wrote:No.


Image
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Image
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 42,628
And1: 22,571
Joined: Jun 29, 2006
       

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#11 » by loserX » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:46 pm

There is a contingent of fans who say that the MVP should be the best player on the winningest team.

Right now, that is Rudy Gobert.

For the record I am not one of those people :D I think he should be getting more buzz than he currently is, which is zero, but I wouldn't vote for him, no.
The_Hater
RealGM
Posts: 80,116
And1: 34,675
Joined: May 23, 2001
     

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#12 » by The_Hater » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:49 pm

Gobert is probably 9th or 10th on my fake ballot. Although I did listen to Kevin Arnovitz the other day and he had him 3rd.

Still, I would put his odds of winning the award at virtually zero.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.


April 14th, 2019.
Wigginstime
Rookie
Posts: 1,227
And1: 1,324
Joined: May 06, 2006

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#13 » by Wigginstime » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:50 pm

Prior to 1970 this was possible. Several players won MVPs with minimal scoring. Since 1970 only two players have won MVP averaging less than 20ppg - Bill Walton and Steve Nash.

Steve Nash did it averaging 15ppg in 2005 and most people were outraged that he won it. I seriously doubt Gobert can win MVP averaging 14ppg
scrabbarista
General Manager
Posts: 9,159
And1: 6,726
Joined: May 31, 2015
 

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#14 » by scrabbarista » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:51 pm

I had him 8th in 2017, 7th in 2019, and 6th in 2020. I have him 5th right now.

He's a great player, but I think the actual MVP Award (even in my formula, never mind among the voters) isn't realistic. He's not going to suddenly start averaging 20 points per game when he's at 14 or 15 every season. I voted no.

Also, the people saying he has "no offensive game..." are wrong. He's not a guy you give the ball to and get out of the way, of course, but there's a lot more to offense than that, especially for big guys.
KodiakBear
Sophomore
Posts: 216
And1: 233
Joined: Sep 23, 2020
   

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#15 » by KodiakBear » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:52 pm

He has a strong case. If people doubt his value, go look at the 2017-2018 Jazz team. Gobert played 55 games that year and with him were 37-18 and beat an OKC team with Westbrook, George and Melo on it in the first round. Without him they were one of the worst teams in the league that year.

Love Donovan, but if there was an injury that would derail the amazing season the Jazz are having it would be losing Gobert.
User avatar
ocelot17
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,837
And1: 2,758
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
Location: Houston, Tx
   

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#16 » by ocelot17 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:53 pm

Clint Capela is better and only makes about $15 million a year compared to gobert’s $40 million/year.
scrabbarista
General Manager
Posts: 9,159
And1: 6,726
Joined: May 31, 2015
 

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#17 » by scrabbarista » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:55 pm

Wigginstime wrote:Prior to 1970 this was possible. Several players won MVPs with minimal scoring. Since 1970 only two players have won MVP averaging less than 20ppg - Bill Walton and Steve Nash.

Steve Nash did it averaging 15ppg in 2005 and most people were outraged that he won it. I seriously doubt Govert can win MVP averaging 11ppg


Bruh, he's at 14.0 (his lowest in three seasons)! The internet has stats!
Wigginstime
Rookie
Posts: 1,227
And1: 1,324
Joined: May 06, 2006

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#18 » by Wigginstime » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:57 pm

scrabbarista wrote:
Wigginstime wrote:Prior to 1970 this was possible. Several players won MVPs with minimal scoring. Since 1970 only two players have won MVP averaging less than 20ppg - Bill Walton and Steve Nash.

Steve Nash did it averaging 15ppg in 2005 and most people were outraged that he won it. I seriously doubt Govert can win MVP averaging 11ppg


Bruh, he's at 14.0 (his lowest in three seasons)! The internet has stats!


Chill - it was a simple typo... 4 is right below the 1 on the keypad. I corrected it.
scrabbarista
General Manager
Posts: 9,159
And1: 6,726
Joined: May 31, 2015
 

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#19 » by scrabbarista » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:58 pm

Wigginstime wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
Wigginstime wrote:Prior to 1970 this was possible. Several players won MVPs with minimal scoring. Since 1970 only two players have won MVP averaging less than 20ppg - Bill Walton and Steve Nash.

Steve Nash did it averaging 15ppg in 2005 and most people were outraged that he won it. I seriously doubt Govert can win MVP averaging 11ppg


Bruh, he's at 14.0 (his lowest in three seasons)! The internet has stats!


Chill - it was a simple typo... 4 is right below the 1 on the keypad. I corrected it.


Fair enough, lol.
User avatar
lars_rosenberg
Veteran
Posts: 2,987
And1: 2,484
Joined: Aug 15, 2014
 

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#20 » by lars_rosenberg » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:59 pm

eminence wrote:Yes.

I'd have him 5th right now (behind Jokic/LeBron/Embiid/Kawhi).
Where is Steph?

Return to The General Board