Gobert = MVP?

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid, jamaalstar21, infinite11285, ken6199, BombsquadSammy

Is Rudy Gobert a legit MVP candidate?

Yes
42
33%
No
86
67%
 
Total votes: 128

Cope
Ballboy
Posts: 31
And1: 11
Joined: Feb 02, 2019

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#61 » by Cope » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:19 am

BallinBug wrote:
Nate505 wrote:
BallinBug wrote:No, he is not. Let's get real, no player averaging less than 25 ppg should even be considered as a candidate. All he does is defend and rebound, he's a very good role player, but thats it.

Yeah, the best player on the best team in the NBA is just a very good role player.

Sure.


If you're averaging less than 20 points you're a role player. This dude is averaging 14 lol. Like I said all he brings is defense, rebounding and a winning playstyle, but the dude is still a 14 ppg guy. He's no mvp, not even a star.


:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
User avatar
CallMeKahn
Rookie
Posts: 1,073
And1: 715
Joined: Feb 17, 2013
   

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#62 » by CallMeKahn » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:21 am

BallinBug wrote:
Nate505 wrote:
BallinBug wrote:No, he is not. Let's get real, no player averaging less than 25 ppg should even be considered as a candidate. All he does is defend and rebound, he's a very good role player, but thats it.

Yeah, the best player on the best team in the NBA is just a very good role player.

Sure.


If you're averaging less than 20 points you're a role player. This dude is averaging 14 lol. Like I said all he brings is defense, rebounding and a winning playstyle, but the dude is still a 14 ppg guy. He's no mvp, not even a star.


:lol: :clown: Bloody hell.
Jiminy Glick wrote:Ball is more valuable than Paul. He will improve drastically next season.

:o
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
Posts: 6,451
And1: 9,949
Joined: Jan 05, 2013
     

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#63 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:48 am

BallinBug wrote:
Nate505 wrote:
BallinBug wrote:No, he is not. Let's get real, no player averaging less than 25 ppg should even be considered as a candidate. All he does is defend and rebound, he's a very good role player, but thats it.

Yeah, the best player on the best team in the NBA is just a very good role player.

Sure.


If you're averaging less than 20 points you're a role player. This dude is averaging 14 lol. Like I said all he brings is defense, rebounding and a winning playstyle, but the dude is still a 14 ppg guy. He's no mvp, not even a star.


That's so dumb.

I hope you know that even a player like Tim Duncan averaged under 20 points a lot of times as well. And that's just one example I'm giving you.
User avatar
dakomish23
RealGM
Posts: 42,473
And1: 27,953
Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Location: Empire State
     

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#64 » by dakomish23 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:50 am

Found Arnovitz screen name
:lol: :lol: :lol:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128
Ballerhogger
RealGM
Posts: 28,345
And1: 7,852
Joined: Jul 06, 2014
       

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#65 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:10 am

He’s going fest on Wednesday he might have some mvp headlines lol
User avatar
GSP
RealGM
Posts: 12,238
And1: 6,595
Joined: Dec 12, 2011
     

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#66 » by GSP » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:43 am

He's a candidate in the sense he should easily be in top 10 Mvp rankings maybe as high as 5 by the end if he and Utah keep this up all season but he's not a candidate in that he's not a threat to actually receive 1st place votes which is largely what decides Mvp in 99% of cases so it's tough to say
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 16,100
And1: 11,684
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#67 » by 70sFan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:38 am

Of course he's MVP candidate. I'd probably have Embiid and James over him, but he's excellenr choice.

I said it a month ago - with 20 ppg average, Gobert would be seen as one of the best players in the league. That's how basketball fans think - they can't overcome scoring appeal and look at actual impact.

Gobert is by far the best player on the best team in the league. He has huge impact (look at his impact stats and on/off) and he anchors 2nd best defense in the league with mediocre defenders like Mitchel, Bogdanovic and Clarckson playing big minutes. He's clearly the best defensive player in the league for 5 straight seasons and yet, people cry that his contract is too big because he averages "only" 14 ppg.

I though General Board is better than that...
User avatar
GSP
RealGM
Posts: 12,238
And1: 6,595
Joined: Dec 12, 2011
     

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#68 » by GSP » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:43 am

70sFan wrote:Of course he's MVP candidate. I'd probably have Embiid and James over him, but he's excellenr choice.

I said it a month ago - with 20 ppg average, Gobert would be seen as one of the best players in the league. That's how basketball fans think - they can't overcome scoring appeal and look at actual impact.

Gobert is by far the best player on the best team in the league. He has huge impact (look at his impact stats and on/off) and he anchors 2nd best defense in the league with mediocre defenders like Mitchel, Bogdanovic and Clarckson playing big minutes. He's clearly the best defensive player in the league for 5 straight seasons and yet, people cry that his contract is too big because he averages "only" 14 ppg.

I though General Board is better than that...


Seems disingenuous to say he anchors the 2nd best defense in the league with those mediocre defenders playing big minutes (and Bojan is decent) when Ingles, Royce, Conley and Favors are all great defenders. And Conley being healthy this season at least compared to last year, and getting Favors back were the biggest reasons theyre as strong as they are on defense. Obviously Rudys their best defender and should win Dpoy at this rate but the Jazz with the same roster minus Favors were 13th in defense last season
User avatar
AussieBuck
RealGM
Posts: 37,853
And1: 13,818
Joined: May 10, 2006
Location: saveourbucks.com
 

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#69 » by AussieBuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:53 am

He'll probably get more votes than 2014 Tim Duncan so I guess that's something.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.


#FreeChuck
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 16,100
And1: 11,684
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#70 » by 70sFan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:58 am

GSP wrote:
70sFan wrote:Of course he's MVP candidate. I'd probably have Embiid and James over him, but he's excellenr choice.

I said it a month ago - with 20 ppg average, Gobert would be seen as one of the best players in the league. That's how basketball fans think - they can't overcome scoring appeal and look at actual impact.

Gobert is by far the best player on the best team in the league. He has huge impact (look at his impact stats and on/off) and he anchors 2nd best defense in the league with mediocre defenders like Mitchel, Bogdanovic and Clarckson playing big minutes. He's clearly the best defensive player in the league for 5 straight seasons and yet, people cry that his contract is too big because he averages "only" 14 ppg.

I though General Board is better than that...


Seems disingenuous to say he anchors the 2nd best defense in the league with those mediocre defenders playing big minutes (and Bojan is decent) when Ingles, Royce, Conley and Favors are all great defenders. And Conley being healthy this season at least compared to last year, and getting Favors back were the biggest reasons theyre as strong as they are on defense. Obviously Rudys their best defender and should win Dpoy at this rate but the Jazz with the same roster minus Favors were 13th in defense last season

Only Conley has positive defensive on/off among mentioned players. Ingles is good defender, but he plays less minutes than ever. Royce is great, I can give you that. Favors is old and Jazz are mediocre defensively with him on the court, calling Favors a great defender in 2021 is a big stretch.

The Jazz were also worse offensively last season with the same roster - is it also because of Favors? It doesn't work that way, Gobert plays better than ever this season.
User avatar
GSP
RealGM
Posts: 12,238
And1: 6,595
Joined: Dec 12, 2011
     

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#71 » by GSP » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:07 am

70sFan wrote:
GSP wrote:
70sFan wrote:Of course he's MVP candidate. I'd probably have Embiid and James over him, but he's excellenr choice.

I said it a month ago - with 20 ppg average, Gobert would be seen as one of the best players in the league. That's how basketball fans think - they can't overcome scoring appeal and look at actual impact.

Gobert is by far the best player on the best team in the league. He has huge impact (look at his impact stats and on/off) and he anchors 2nd best defense in the league with mediocre defenders like Mitchel, Bogdanovic and Clarckson playing big minutes. He's clearly the best defensive player in the league for 5 straight seasons and yet, people cry that his contract is too big because he averages "only" 14 ppg.

I though General Board is better than that...


Seems disingenuous to say he anchors the 2nd best defense in the league with those mediocre defenders playing big minutes (and Bojan is decent) when Ingles, Royce, Conley and Favors are all great defenders. And Conley being healthy this season at least compared to last year, and getting Favors back were the biggest reasons theyre as strong as they are on defense. Obviously Rudys their best defender and should win Dpoy at this rate but the Jazz with the same roster minus Favors were 13th in defense last season

Only Conley has positive defensive on/off among mentioned players. Ingles is good defender, but he plays less minutes than ever. Royce is great, I can give you that. Favors is old and Jazz are mediocre defensively with him on the court, calling Favors a great defender in 2021 is a big stretch.

The Jazz were also worse offensively last season with the same roster - is it also because of Favors? It doesn't work that way, Gobert plays better than ever this season.


Jazz were worse offensively but not to the extent of the defensive difference. They also traded for Jordan Clarkson and their offense was alot better post trade. Favors is clearly still a really good defender. Maybe great is pushing it too far but hes absolutely still crucial to their defense. I highly doubt the Jazz are 2nd in defense if Tony Bradley is backing up Rudy again
BloodNinja
Veteran
Posts: 2,704
And1: 4,133
Joined: Mar 05, 2016

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#72 » by BloodNinja » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:09 am

Best player on best team. Sure why not.
mercgold3
General Manager
Posts: 9,638
And1: 3,306
Joined: Nov 21, 2013
   

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#73 » by mercgold3 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:39 am

Not MVP but DPOY is a lock once again for Rudy.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
Posts: 18,039
And1: 9,826
Joined: Feb 12, 2010
Location: Somewhere in Boston
     

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#74 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:41 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Some smartguy wrote:No.


Image


:lol:

On a serious note, if Rudy had developed legit offensive skillset, he might have an argument for a top 5 player, but he hasn't. His offensive skillset is being really tall, long and fairly agile for his size.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 16,100
And1: 11,684
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#75 » by 70sFan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:25 am

GSP wrote:Jazz were worse offensively but not to the extent of the defensive difference.

The difference on offense is BIGGER:

Offense: +1.7 -> +5.9
Defense: -0.7 -> -3.9

You also ignore the fact that Jazz had down RS in 2020, because they were consistently great before.


They also traded for Jordan Clarkson and their offense was alot better post trade.

It's true that Jazz got significantly better on offense in the second part of the season, but they still weren't on the level they are now.

Favors is clearly still a really good defender. Maybe great is pushing it too far but hes absolutely still crucial to their defense. I highly doubt the Jazz are 2nd in defense if Tony Bradley is backing up Rudy again

Jazz with Favors on the court are below average defensively - they post 112.1 DRtg with him. You're wrong on this part...
brutalitops
Analyst
Posts: 3,338
And1: 4,034
Joined: Feb 20, 2014
Location: Perth, Australia
     

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#76 » by brutalitops » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:41 am

ocelot17 wrote:Clint Capela is better and only makes about $15 million a year compared to gobert’s $40 million/year.

Gobert's on 25 M a year
Next year he will be on 35m

He's twice then player Capela is. Good grief the only thing you are correct on is being within 500k of Capela's salary
brutalitops
Analyst
Posts: 3,338
And1: 4,034
Joined: Feb 20, 2014
Location: Perth, Australia
     

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#77 » by brutalitops » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:48 am

He's Probably around top 7 in the MVP. I have Lebron/Embiid/Jokic/Kahwi/Curry/Lillard then Gobert

Doesn't help that Joel is also playing some fantastic defense while being a monster offensive player and Jokic is also dominating,

Gobert is currently the third best Center and it's not close, His ability to be so agile and such a good defender let the Jazz be ultra aggressive defending the 3 and have Gobert who can be guarding his man from 15 F out meet guys at the rim. He provides rim Protection and paint protection while being good enough to at least make the non shooting big not dare take that seemingly open 3. Clarkson couldnt get minutes because his horrid defense, Now all he has to do is make sure his Man isnt going to take an Open 3, if they blow through Clarkson like they usually do, You have Gobert in the paint waiting for you. The Jazz can run some pretty average defenders on the court and unless teams are going to post up on Clarkson/Ingles/Bogdan they cant exploit them like they would on any other team


He's a huge reason why the Jazz are fantastic at defending the 3, Also offensively a lot of the actions they play depend on Rudy screens, he's a lot better offensively then people give credit as he's an elite screener so he gets his guys open, It's not about hitting a jump hook 4 times a game, It's about getting Mitchell/Clarkson/Ingles/Conley easier shots.
JN61
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,012
And1: 3,062
Joined: Jan 07, 2018
 

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#78 » by JN61 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:51 am

No. He is getting carried on offense way more than Harden on defense.
giberish
RealGM
Posts: 13,197
And1: 3,488
Joined: Mar 30, 2006
Location: Whereever you go - there you are

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#79 » by giberish » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:41 am

Gobert's kind of the opposite of the type of player who might win an MVP while perhaps being the best player on a good team but not having the overall impact of the top few players in the league. Generally the better way to get an MVP like that is to be a high-usage scorer/limited defender on a team filled with high-quality defenders who are lower-usage offensive players. Being a high-impact defender but low-usage offensive player won't get that much recognition (though could still be top-5 if Utah finishes with the best record in the league).
frica
Senior
Posts: 551
And1: 229
Joined: May 03, 2018

Re: Gobert = MVP? 

Post#80 » by frica » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:10 pm

Gobert could be (easily) MVP in a weaker year. Embiid and Jokic are the clear favourites.

I think in 2011 Gobert would be MVP favourite.
In 2001 if he leads his team to the best record too.

And a strong candidate in 2 or 3 other years in the past 20 years.

If he improves further and Embiid/Jokic regress a little I think he could become favourite still. But I don't see that happening.

Return to The General Board