Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam?

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid, jamaalstar21, infinite11285, ken6199, BombsquadSammy

Marrrcuss
Pro Prospect
Posts: 940
And1: 618
Joined: Oct 23, 2020
     

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#101 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:17 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:I'm just glad NBA fandom is sophisticated enough that we know the exact definition of "superteam"...


I always thought if you had 2 of the 7 best players in the world, that would make for a pretty super team. Today I learned it doesn't make for a superteam. That space is vital. :D

I'll also admit that I thought teams should always try and form the best teams they could. Still a bit confused why getting multiple superstars is a bad thing.


I didnt get the memo about 2 of the best 7. Has that been confirmed? :lol:

Ive seen it said 3 top players, two of which came in free agency, lol.

The bench has never seemed to matter, nor the 4th and 5th starters. Its really specific. :wink:
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 60,687
And1: 53,786
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: 403 Minutes in the Bay
   

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#102 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:20 pm

Marrrcuss wrote: I didnt get the memo about 2 of the best 7. Has that been confirmed? :lol:
:


I mean I hope everyone will concede Lebron(trolls aside) so then yeah I guess its debate where AD falls in.

Giannis
Embiid
Jokic
Dame
Kawhi
Giannis
Steph

Is he worse than all of those guys? Possible I guess and if so then not top 7.

And yes I know I'm treating this topic with more seriousness than it warrants and I apologize for that. Being too earnest is one of my flaws.
ThunderBolt wrote:Some of you guys need understand that not every play is a prophetic vision of the player's career trajectory.

Marrrcuss
Pro Prospect
Posts: 940
And1: 618
Joined: Oct 23, 2020
     

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#103 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:24 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote: I didnt get the memo about 2 of the best 7. Has that been confirmed? :lol:
:


I mean I hope everyone will concede Lebron(trolls aside) so then yeah I guess its debate where AD falls in.

Giannis
Embiid
Jokic
Dame
Kawhi
Giannis
Steph

Is he worse than all of those guys? Possible I guess and if so then not top 7.

And yes I know I'm treating this topic with more seriousness than it warrants and I apologize for that. Being too earnest is one of my flaws.


Its better than just having a shade joust.

Anyway, i think the top 8 to 10 players are interchangeable depending on the matchups. LeBron hasnt looked top 5 against the clippers in hardly any of the games the past 2 years.
AD cant guard Giannis (was there a reason you named him twice?)
Kawhi didnt do his best against Denver, and so on.
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 60,687
And1: 53,786
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: 403 Minutes in the Bay
   

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#104 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:26 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:AD cant guard Giannis (was there a reason you named him twice?)


2x reigning MVP who is also reigning DPOY get 2 mentions. Thems the rules.

No, I think I thought about including Luka but decided he wasn't quite on the level with those more veteran guys and ended up sliding Giannis in his spot.

Luckily with Lebron my list still totaled 7. :D
ThunderBolt wrote:Some of you guys need understand that not every play is a prophetic vision of the player's career trajectory.

User avatar
KyRo23
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,499
And1: 3,799
Joined: May 07, 2017
   

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#105 » by KyRo23 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:27 pm

Sign5 wrote:Unbelievable. I was literally just hearing from Bron stans how this is Lebron's most well rounded team two weeks. Now all of a sudden they're incompetent? Ridiculous.


Who did you hear this from? Maybe 2 weeks into the season lol most Laker fans have been saying this current Lakers team has sucked for the past month.
Marrrcuss
Pro Prospect
Posts: 940
And1: 618
Joined: Oct 23, 2020
     

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#106 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:30 pm

KyRo23 wrote:
Sign5 wrote:Unbelievable. I was literally just hearing from Bron stans how this is Lebron's most well rounded team two weeks. Now all of a sudden they're incompetent? Ridiculous.


Who did you hear this from? Maybe 2 weeks into the season lol most Laker fans have been saying this current Lakers team has sucked for the past month.


This is his best supporting cast. I stand by that.

But now 2 of the top 3 players are out and everyone has amnesia.

Signed
~Bron stan (certified)
SAKURABA216
Starter
Posts: 2,022
And1: 688
Joined: Aug 02, 2006
   

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#107 » by SAKURABA216 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:42 pm

How is a team with Lebron and AD not a superteam? Not to mention they added guys like Schroeder, Montrez (reigning 6th man of the year), and Marc Gasol without really giving up anything. They also have the best young superstar, who is bound to be signed to a 20 million dollar contract next year, in THT.

This isn't a superteam? Lebron was voted as the #1 best player in the NBA and AD #2 by ESPN. Even if you are dismissive of ESPN's rankings they are both undisputed top 5 players. Just because the Nets have 3 superstars does not mean that you can't have a superteam with only 2 and a bunch of better than average players. If any 2 of KD/Kawhi/Giannis linked up and had a stacked supporting cast they would also be considered a superteam.

You need to reset what your definition of a superteam is. It isn't the team with the most superstars, but also takes into account the quality and fit of the superstars joining together. Lebron and AD definitely are a superteam.
User avatar
NUCKER101
Head Coach
Posts: 6,174
And1: 11,136
Joined: Oct 31, 2013
   

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#108 » by NUCKER101 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:45 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote: I didnt get the memo about 2 of the best 7. Has that been confirmed? :lol:
:


I mean I hope everyone will concede Lebron(trolls aside) so then yeah I guess its debate where AD falls in.

Giannis
Embiid
Jokic
Dame
Kawhi
Giannis
Steph

Is he worse than all of those guys? Possible I guess and if so then not top 7.

And yes I know I'm treating this topic with more seriousness than it warrants and I apologize for that. Being too earnest is one of my flaws.


After the bubble, I saw him on a lot of people's top 5 lists, gotta love recency bias
We the Champs
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 60,687
And1: 53,786
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: 403 Minutes in the Bay
   

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#109 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 pm

not sure what's recency bias either way. AD absolutely is in the conversation as a top 5ish player. Maybe he's not quite there, but he absolutely belongs in the conversation.
ThunderBolt wrote:Some of you guys need understand that not every play is a prophetic vision of the player's career trajectory.

Ugalde
Veteran
Posts: 2,673
And1: 1,491
Joined: Jul 20, 2010
Location: Schenectady, NY
       

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#110 » by Ugalde » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:55 pm

i mean two top 5 guys on one team is pretty super
politics
rtiff68
Rookie
Posts: 1,130
And1: 1,261
Joined: May 25, 2019

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#111 » by rtiff68 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:58 pm

I always find it interesting when people argue over something subjective (like the definition of a "super team") as if there was one objective answer.
Marrrcuss
Pro Prospect
Posts: 940
And1: 618
Joined: Oct 23, 2020
     

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#112 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:00 pm

Ugalde wrote:i mean two top 5 guys on one team is pretty super


That makes the 80s lakers and the 90s bulls super teams.
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 17,006
And1: 10,180
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#113 » by yosemiteben » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:07 pm

As a Charlotte Hornets fan, I'm super interested in reading a debate about whether a team with LeBron and AD is good enough to be a super team or not. Truly hard times over there in LA, hope they get through this.
MindState
Pro Prospect
Posts: 955
And1: 1,295
Joined: Jul 05, 2018

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#114 » by MindState » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:09 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:not sure what's recency bias either way. AD absolutely is in the conversation as a top 5ish player. Maybe he's not quite there, but he absolutely belongs in the conversation.


No he isnt.

LeBron
KD
Curry
Harden
Giannis
Kawhi
Embiid
Jokic
Lillard

All of these players are clearly better and have also been the clear #1 option on their team and have had playoff/regular season success.

AD had no playoff success prior to joining LeBron during a summer league type season, and is a clear #2 option on his team. Hes also putting up garbage numbers. 22 and 8 in todays explosive climate is blow average for a star player.

AD is in the 10-15 range.
Pelly24
Analyst
Posts: 3,287
And1: 2,243
Joined: Aug 02, 2016
     

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#115 » by Pelly24 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:09 pm

When you have two top 8 players and an elite, complementary supporting cast of two 6MOY candidates, two solid to good 3&D wings, a guy that could get 16 ppg a game and is versatile, a good backup guard who's big and can play defense, etc. yes you are definitely a super team. It is what it is, ppl can't change up now. The lakers are loaded. When Dennis gets back they'll be very good still. When AD gets back they should be back in the finals.
Marrrcuss
Pro Prospect
Posts: 940
And1: 618
Joined: Oct 23, 2020
     

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#116 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:17 pm

Pelly24 wrote:When you have two top 8 players and an elite, complementary supporting cast of two 6MOY candidates, two solid to good 3&D wings, a guy that could get 16 ppg a game and is versatile, a good backup guard who's big and can play defense, etc. yes you are definitely a super team. It is what it is, ppl can't change up now. The lakers are loaded. When Dennis gets back they'll be very good still. When AD gets back they should be back in the finals.


Shroeder is the 3rd best player and Many would say Montrezl is the 4th. That doesnt mean they are elite or that they are the best 3rd and 4th options in the league does it? I mean correct me if i am wrong.

You post was very complimentary though. not even laker fans think everyone is as good as you say. Seems they are only THAT good when folks want to minimize what LeBron is doing. Btw, who are the solid 3 and D wings?
User avatar
Lunartic
Veteran
Posts: 2,889
And1: 4,317
Joined: Nov 28, 2015

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#117 » by Lunartic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Why does the "narrative" bother you so much?

Having 2 top-5 players is pretty super.

Imagine if the Bulls traded Pippen for Hakeem, wouldn't we all consider that a superteam? Lebron is the GOAT according to some dullards, I imagine the GOAT playing with a top-5 player surrounded by a great cast of role players should be considered super.
Pelly24
Analyst
Posts: 3,287
And1: 2,243
Joined: Aug 02, 2016
     

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#118 » by Pelly24 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:26 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:When you have two top 8 players and an elite, complementary supporting cast of two 6MOY candidates, two solid to good 3&D wings, a guy that could get 16 ppg a game and is versatile, a good backup guard who's big and can play defense, etc. yes you are definitely a super team. It is what it is, ppl can't change up now. The lakers are loaded. When Dennis gets back they'll be very good still. When AD gets back they should be back in the finals.


Shroeder is the 3rd best player and Many would say Montrezl is the 4th. That doesnt mean they are elite or that they are the best 3rd and 4th options in the league does it? I mean correct me if i am wrong.

You post was very complimentary though. not even laker fans think everyone is as good as you say. Seems they are only THAT good when folks want to minimize what LeBron is doing. Btw, who are the solid 3 and D wings?


They don't have to be the best, but having two top 10 players and a very good supporting cast is a big deal. Aside from an athletic lob threat, which I think they'll likely get somehow, they've got no significant holes. Having third and fourth and fifth options that can average anywhere from 13-19 ppg is a big deal. Having multiple 3&D wings with vet experience is a big deal. Wes and KCP are generally solid. KCP's been good enough. Schroder been a little underwhelming on offense but he should pick it up.

To me, this is a better team than any of the 2015-2017 Cavs teams with Kyrie and Love, because their role players are very good defenders and they've got more guys that can score instead of being one-dimensional shooters. This Lakers team is stacked.
Marrrcuss
Pro Prospect
Posts: 940
And1: 618
Joined: Oct 23, 2020
     

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#119 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:34 pm

"Bother" is pretty inaccurate
"I see through the bullshyt" is right on the money.

The term is used so selectively and randomly that its apparent what the cause is. Sorry that im not THAT stupid to fall for it. I probably would have in my 20s though.
User avatar
KyRo23
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,499
And1: 3,799
Joined: May 07, 2017
   

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#120 » by KyRo23 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:40 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:
Sign5 wrote:Unbelievable. I was literally just hearing from Bron stans how this is Lebron's most well rounded team two weeks. Now all of a sudden they're incompetent? Ridiculous.


Who did you hear this from? Maybe 2 weeks into the season lol most Laker fans have been saying this current Lakers team has sucked for the past month.


This is his best supporting cast. I stand by that.

But now 2 of the top 3 players are out and everyone has amnesia.

Signed
~Bron stan (certified)


I agree on paper and healthy it is his best cast. I'm really just focusing on this "last two weeks" part. This team has not been whole the last two weeks, let alone the last month.

Return to The General Board