Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

turnaroundJ
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,315

Re: Can we stop with the narrative that Lebron's Lakers are a superteam? 

Post#81 » by turnaroundJ » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:52 pm

No I don't think they're a superteam. Miami Big 3 definitely was and no excuses. I think two superstars and an average set of roleplayers isn't necessarily a superteam. I'd say the 2017 Cavs steamroll this year's Lakers, and win in 6 vs last year's.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#82 » by Danny1616 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:52 pm

Or maybe Lebron is just not as good he was at his peak where he could literally carry a team to 50 wins.

Also, maybe Anthony Davis is an MVP caliber who is just as important as Lebron at this stage of their careers.

The fact is that the Lakers last year were the only team with two legitimate MVP caliber players.

Kawhi is an MVP caliber player but George is more of a top 10-15 player.

Jokic is MVP caliber but Murray is top 30.

Butler is top 10-15 at best and Bam is top 20.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#83 » by JN61 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:53 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:I still dont know the definition of super team except it ties in to lebron.

If the 4th and 5th starters suck and the bench sucks, calling it a super "TEAM" is dumb af.

Lets just admit its a term to shade LeBron and move on with our lives.

Lakers have the best bench in the league...
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#84 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:54 pm

Jkam31 wrote:It’s that time huh

literally like clockwork it's so predictable now
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,398

Post#85 » by AbeVigodaLive » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:56 pm

I'm just glad NBA fandom is sophisticated enough that we know the exact definition of "superteam"...
MindState
Veteran
And1: 3,467

Post#86 » by MindState » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:57 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:No because Lebron stans will use that narrative then to make case for Lebron being GOAT. He still playing with f MVP candidate and top 5 player on a league.

And seems now for Lebron stans he needs more help. How about some help in Chicago to Zach Lavine so he can make case for MVP instead being likely possibly not selected for All-Star game at all where his next best player is Thaddeus Young. Or how about some help to Lillard who is basically keeping Blazers 3 games away from Lakers with that roster.

AD is not a top 5 player, nowhere close. Stop the misinformation please.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,769

Post#87 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:01 pm

JN61 wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:I still dont know the definition of super team except it ties in to lebron.

If the 4th and 5th starters suck and the bench sucks, calling it a super "TEAM" is dumb af.

I was referring to the Heat teams.

Does this laker team fit the "super team" criteria? I mean the same people say lebron sucks so how is it a super team if the main guy sucks?
And you say they have the best bench in the league? Man, i heard Montrezl was a bad signing and Kuz sucked. At this point, im just confused, lol
JN61
RealGM

Post#88 » by JN61 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:01 pm

MindState wrote:
TheFinishSniper wrote:No because Lebron stans will use that narrative then to make case for Lebron being GOAT. He still playing with f MVP candidate and top 5 player on a league.

And seems now for Lebron stans he needs more help. How about some help in Chicago to Zach Lavine so he can make case for MVP instead being likely possibly not selected for All-Star game at all where his next best player is Thaddeus Young. Or how about some help to Lillard who is basically keeping Blazers 3 games away from Lakers with that roster.

AD is not a top 5 player, nowhere close. Stop the misinformation please.

I'm sure they would also accept meager top 10 player in the league who is also top 10 defensive player in the league.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
JN61
RealGM

Post#89 » by JN61 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:09 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
JN61 wrote:

Does this laker team fit the "super team" criteria? I mean the same people say lebron sucks so how is it a super team if the main guy sucks?
And you say they have the best bench in the league? Man, i heard Montrezl was a bad signing and Kuz sucked. At this point, im just confused, lol

Even in miami they usually had better than average NBA team bench (usually around 9-12) while having 3 all-stars... So cry me a river.

Nobody says Lebron sucks. Just that he's not the best player in the league. If you have 2 top 10 players in the league and one that alone goes on a losing streak, who is supposed top 5 player in the league, you have to point finger at him... Instead of blaming literally everyone around him... Like the point of this thread is, shift the blame. Lebron last night 2/10 from 3 point line, 8 turnovers, choke from ft line and choke from 3 point line, recipe to lose. When does this man and his fans take the responsibility instead of blame others?

Lillard and Curry are doing better with far lesser supporting casts... Portland has the worst bench in the league...
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,769

Post#90 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:22 pm

JN61 wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:
JN61 wrote:

Even in miami they usually had better than average NBA team bench (usually around 9-12) while having 3 all-stars... So cry me a river.

Nobody says Lebron sucks. Just that he's not the best player in the league. If you have 2 top 10 players in the league and one that alone goes on a losing streak, who is supposed top 5 player in the league, you have to point finger at him... Instead of blaming literally everyone around him... Like the point of this thread is, shift the blame. Lebron last night 2/10 from 3 point line, 8 turnovers, choke from ft line and choke from 3 point line, recipe to lose. When does this man and his fans take the responsibility instead of blame others?

Lillard and Curry are doing better with far lesser supporting casts... Portland has the worst bench in the league...

Why the absolute fugg would i cry? What would i have to be unhappy about?

Anyway, go back and look at those teams and tell me their benches were above average. Last year was the first year his benches didnt lose ground with him out....well, they actually did but not at the alarming rates of his past teams.

If his teams have always been so great, why do they all suck with him off the floor?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,562

Post#91 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:23 pm

"It Was Someone Else's Fault": The Career of Lebron James, and why he didn't win more rings.

Foreword by Brian Windhorst and Rich Paul
The4thHorseman
Head Coach
And1: 4,494

Post#92 » by The4thHorseman » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:43 pm

killmongrel wrote:
blackstar wrote:
killmongrel wrote: Again, you're saying it had nothing to do with the original argument yet you're the one who brought it up. Don't get mad at me that I refuted your claim.

And once again, there is no official qualification for a super team. But it can be argued that if a team has two super stars AND a roster that if full of good role players that equal to good depth, that makes for a good argument for a super team.

As for LBJ and this angle that he's now 36 year old, well, that 36 year old was leading in the MVP race in the opinions of a lot of people where one of the candidates, Curry, is having an amazing season as well with numbers that were close to his MVP years. So it's safe to say this 36 year old ain't exactly washed yet.

Ever heard of the exception to the rule? Limits in math? Just because there's an exception doesn't make the rule wrong. Congrats though young blood, you must be patting yourself on the back. Btw, Jason Terry in my book was a star.

You said this iteration of LBJ was the GOAT. If he isn't then what validity is there to your argument? There have been tons of teams in the past with two superstars. The Thunder for instance.
You seem so butthurt that I refuted your claim. And yes, of course Jason Terry was a star. Right. Hehe.

Also, I didn't say this version of LBJ is as good as his younger self. Just saying that playing the 36 year old angle is kind of weak when he was/is leading the MVP race in a lot of people's opinions.

And if people want to make the argument that Thunder team was a super team, let them. I'd love to hear why. All I'm arguing is that this Lakers team is.

2012 KD made All-NBA while achieving his 3rd consecutive scoring title

Westbrook was All-NBA

Harden was the current 6 man of the year award winner

Ibaka made the All-defensive team, lead the league in blocked shots and was runner-up for DPOY

They rolled through veteran teams like Dallas (4-0) the Lakers (4-1) and the Spurs (4-2) in route to thE finals.
The4thHorseman
Head Coach
And1: 4,494

Post#93 » by The4thHorseman » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:49 pm

JN61 wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:
JN61 wrote:

Even in miami they usually had better than average NBA team bench (usually around 9-12) while having 3 all-stars

2011 Heat bench was better than average????

:lol: :lol:
Sign5
Head Coach
And1: 9,644

Post#94 » by Sign5 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:52 pm

Unbelievable. I was literally just hearing from Bron stans how this is Lebron's most well rounded team two weeks ago. Now all of a sudden they're incompetent? Ridiculous.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,702

Post#95 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:54 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:I'm just glad NBA fandom is sophisticated enough that we know the exact definition of "superteam"...

I always thought if you had 2 of the 7 best players in the world, that would make for a pretty super team. Today I learned it doesn't make for a superteam. That space is vital. :D

I'll also admit that I thought teams should always try and form the best teams they could. Still a bit confused why getting multiple superstars is a bad thing.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,572

Post#96 » by Capn'O » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:01 pm

At full strength, they are a super team.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,398

Post#97 » by AbeVigodaLive » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:01 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:I'm just glad NBA fandom is sophisticated enough that we know the exact definition of "superteam"...

I always thought if you had 2 of the 7 best players in the world, that would make for a pretty super team. Today I learned it doesn't make for a superteam. That space is vital. :D

The manifesto clearly states it's 3 players of the top 17 or 4 of the top 22 or 2 of the top 3 or 9 of the top 6.

You gotta do your research, chief.
MINDKCUF
Senior
And1: 577

Post#98 » by MINDKCUF » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:05 pm

when you have 2 of the top 5 players and the 2 best 6th men in bball -(harrell and schroeder) plus a cast of good vets playing for less than they are worth i think you have a superteam.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,702

Post#99 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:12 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote: 9 of the top 6.

Damn Abe. Going with the refs in the Lakers pocket thing eh?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#100 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:13 pm

Super team or not, the lakers sans lebron are an extremely good supporting cast. You have multiple guys BESIDES lebron that can average around 19-20ppg or more..You have easily an elite bench. Its not like odds are against lebron or the lakers this season, what's the point of this post? I don't care how elite a team is, you take out the second and third leading scorer and they will struggle.

Return to The General Board