Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid, jamaalstar21, infinite11285, ken6199, BombsquadSammy

User avatar
Celts17Pride
RealGM
Posts: 47,627
And1: 35,740
Joined: Nov 27, 2005

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#101 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:43 pm

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
jpengland wrote:Be foolish not to gauge the market.

GMs gauge the market on everyone. It's their job. I'm sure the Mavs have gauged the market on Luka. Not that the Mavs would ever consider trading Luka ever but they like to know how other teams value players. It's what they do.



Na. They never gauged the market on Luka. The last thing Dallas would ever want is for some reason or another a story be leaked about how Dallas gauged interest on Luka.

That would be the beginning of the end for Luka in Dallas.

Respectfully disagree. It's their job to know the market.
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 60,670
And1: 53,754
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: 403 Minutes in the Bay
   

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#102 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:46 pm

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
jpengland wrote:Be foolish not to gauge the market.

GMs gauge the market on everyone. It's their job. I'm sure the Mavs have gauged the market on Luka. Not that the Mavs would ever consider trading Luka ever but they like to know how other teams value players. It's what they do.



Na. They never gauged the market on Luka. The last thing Dallas would ever want is for some reason or another a story be leaked about how Dallas gauged interest on Luka.

That would be the beginning of the end for Luka in Dallas.


And you wouldn't have to gauge it. If Luka was available, teams would back up the truck. Zero chance Dallas has made a single outgoing call on Luka, and any inbound calls were quickly shut down.
ThunderBolt wrote:Some of you guys need understand that not every play is a prophetic vision of the player's career trajectory.

Tor_Raps
General Manager
Posts: 8,082
And1: 11,239
Joined: Oct 14, 2018

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#103 » by Tor_Raps » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 pm

We'll give you Lowry for him.
Zenzibar
Analyst
Posts: 3,214
And1: 2,675
Joined: Jan 10, 2019
         

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#104 » by Zenzibar » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 pm

urgal wrote:
DaGawd wrote:Image

Janis bout to request a trade

What's Dennis Smith up to these days?


Not sure but I know what Walt Perrin and his scouting staff is doing. Prepping for the loaded 2021 NBA draft:

11 Pelicans Jalen Johnson PF – Duke – HT: 6-8 – WT: 215 – WING: 6-10 1/2 – Fr – Johnson has left the Duke program to focus on getting healthy and training for the draft. This is a big disappointment, especially after he missed his senior year of high school. He’s a special talent but there are some orange flags starting to come up. Tobias Harris

#12 Knicks (from Mavs) James Bouknight SG – UConn – HT: 6-4 – WT: 175 – WING: NA – So – A long, wiry athlete with big time leaping ability and a good shooting touch. Has a sweet pull-up game. He’s back in action after missing a few weeks with an elbow injury. Derek Anderson

13 Kings Corey Kispert SF – Gonzaga – HT: 6-7 – WT: 220 – WING: NA – Sr – Lives behind the 3pt line and has a great shooting stroke and is rounding out the rest of his game. Martell Webster, Joe Harris
OrangeBlueSkies
Veteran
Posts: 2,798
And1: 1,774
Joined: Jul 22, 2013

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#105 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:GMs gauge the market on everyone. It's their job. I'm sure the Mavs have gauged the market on Luka. Not that the Mavs would ever consider trading Luka ever but they like to know how other teams value players. It's what they do.



Na. They never gauged the market on Luka. The last thing Dallas would ever want is for some reason or another a story be leaked about how Dallas gauged interest on Luka.

That would be the beginning of the end for Luka in Dallas.

Respectfully disagree. It's their job to know the market.



Yeah. There’s no one on the market the equates to Luka, so there’s no market to know.


You gauge interest on your unknowns ... not on your 21/22 year old all star phenom who was a top 5 MVP candidate last season.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 46,649
And1: 52,283
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#106 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:48 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:We'll give you Lowry for him.


that's actually a solid deal im pickin up what you're puttin down
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE

HOLD THE LINE.
Apse4
Freshman
Posts: 96
And1: 73
Joined: Jun 29, 2019

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#107 » by Apse4 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:49 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:GMs gauge the market on everyone. It's their job. I'm sure the Mavs have gauged the market on Luka. Not that the Mavs would ever consider trading Luka ever but they like to know how other teams value players. It's what they do.



Na. They never gauged the market on Luka. The last thing Dallas would ever want is for some reason or another a story be leaked about how Dallas gauged interest on Luka.

That would be the beginning of the end for Luka in Dallas.


And you wouldn't have to gauge it. If Luka was available, teams would back up the truck. Zero chance Dallas has made a single outgoing call on Luka, and any inbound calls were quickly shut down.


Every time when Luka come back from off season they are making calls. To fitness gym.
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 60,670
And1: 53,754
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: 403 Minutes in the Bay
   

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#108 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:52 pm

Apse4 wrote:Every time when Luka come back from off season they are making calls. To fitness gym.



haha cuz he's fat, get it? get it? :roll:
ThunderBolt wrote:Some of you guys need understand that not every play is a prophetic vision of the player's career trajectory.

boogiezen
Sophomore
Posts: 111
And1: 65
Joined: Aug 27, 2020

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#109 » by boogiezen » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:53 pm

Sucks for Dallas. KP when healthy is one of the most talented players out there.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
urgal
Rookie
Posts: 1,081
And1: 1,510
Joined: Aug 17, 2012
 

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#110 » by urgal » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:53 pm

Zenzibar wrote:Not sure but I know what Walt Perrin and his scouting staff is doing. Prepping for the loaded 2021 NBA draft:

11 Pelicans Jalen Johnson PF – Duke – HT: 6-8 – WT: 215 – WING: 6-10 1/2 – Fr – Johnson has left the Duke program to focus on getting healthy and training for the draft. This is a big disappointment, especially after he missed his senior year of high school. He’s a special talent but there are some orange flags starting to come up. Tobias Harris

#12 Knicks (from Mavs) James Bouknight SG – UConn – HT: 6-4 – WT: 175 – WING: NA – So – A long, wiry athlete with big time leaping ability and a good shooting touch. Has a sweet pull-up game. He’s back in action after missing a few weeks with an elbow injury. Derek Anderson

13 Kings Corey Kispert SF – Gonzaga – HT: 6-7 – WT: 220 – WING: NA – Sr – Lives behind the 3pt line and has a great shooting stroke and is rounding out the rest of his game. Martell Webster, Joe Harris

You didn't nail one single one of your last 25 lottery picks (which is why you're still reliant on them). What makes you optimistic about this one?

But I'm rooting for you. I hope another Kevin Knox is in store for you.
User avatar
Phish Tank
RealGM
Posts: 17,578
And1: 10,407
Joined: Nov 09, 2004
Location: Your Timepiece
   

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#111 » by Phish Tank » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:55 pm

Even the biggest Kristaps hater like myself is shocked that his mobility has taken a HUGE decline after the meniscus injury. Makes you wonder how severe that tear was. Ironically, he's somehow figured to shoot a lot better this season as he's traded long 2s and some silly 3s for more dunks and short distance shots. This could also be an effect of playing in a bit more garbage time - so we gotta analyze the stats in close vs. blowout games.

Problem for Dallas is that they didn't spend max dollars on a spot up shooter who can play some P&R. They gave KP max money to be Luka's Robin and a defensive anchor. He was - at one point - able to switch on the perimeter, back when he was a lot more mobile. Now he's not mobile on defense and that's a huge liability. His athleticism often compensated for a lack of fundamentals on the defensive end. Now he's exposed on defense. Dallas won't be successful if they can't play defense and if KP's hurt.

KP already has accumulated near a baker's dozen of lower leg injuries. This back injury also flared up once or twice in NY. Lifespan of 7'3+ bigs isn't great in the NBA.
Image

BAF- Houston Rockets:
PG: Fox/Cory Joseph/Cassius Winston
SG: Huerter/Romeo/Monk
SF: Deni/Hunter
PF: PJ Washington/Sekou
C: Jalen Smith/Jaxson Hayes/Smailagic

Inactive: Willy
Jabroni Lames
Starter
Posts: 2,076
And1: 2,411
Joined: Apr 08, 2018

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#112 » by Jabroni Lames » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:56 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:We'll give you Lowry for him.


Dallas gets: Lowry + Norm Powell
Toronto gets: Zinger + (one of Dwight Powell, Richardson, Johnson or Kleber) OR (DFS+Burke)
Zenzibar
Analyst
Posts: 3,214
And1: 2,675
Joined: Jan 10, 2019
         

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#113 » by Zenzibar » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:57 pm

urgal wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:Not sure but I know what Walt Perrin and his scouting staff is doing. Prepping for the loaded 2021 NBA draft:

11 Pelicans Jalen Johnson PF – Duke – HT: 6-8 – WT: 215 – WING: 6-10 1/2 – Fr – Johnson has left the Duke program to focus on getting healthy and training for the draft. This is a big disappointment, especially after he missed his senior year of high school. He’s a special talent but there are some orange flags starting to come up. Tobias Harris

#12 Knicks (from Mavs) James Bouknight SG – UConn – HT: 6-4 – WT: 175 – WING: NA – So – A long, wiry athlete with big time leaping ability and a good shooting touch. Has a sweet pull-up game. He’s back in action after missing a few weeks with an elbow injury. Derek Anderson

13 Kings Corey Kispert SF – Gonzaga – HT: 6-7 – WT: 220 – WING: NA – Sr – Lives behind the 3pt line and has a great shooting stroke and is rounding out the rest of his game. Martell Webster, Joe Harris

You didn't nail one single one of your last 25 lottery picks (which is why you're still reliant on them). What makes you optimistic about this one?

But I'm rooting for you. I hope another Kevin Knox is in store for you.


We did hit it right on Porzingis, oh, wait nevermind.
Tor_Raps
General Manager
Posts: 8,082
And1: 11,239
Joined: Oct 14, 2018

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#114 » by Tor_Raps » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:01 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:We'll give you Lowry for him.


Dallas gets: Lowry + Norm Powell
Toronto gets: Zinger + (one of Dwight Powell, Richardson, Johnson or Kleber) OR (DFS+Burke)


Probably wouldn't include Norman Powell in the deal. He's been too important for us and someone I'd like to keep as part of our core.
urgal
Rookie
Posts: 1,081
And1: 1,510
Joined: Aug 17, 2012
 

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#115 » by urgal » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:04 pm

Zenzibar wrote:We did hit it right on Porzingis, oh, wait nevermind.

Thanks for agreeing with me then. Again don't really know why you're looking forward to the draft then but whatever.
NY2k1
Starter
Posts: 2,053
And1: 461
Joined: Dec 21, 2011

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#116 » by NY2k1 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:04 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:
clyde21 wrote:lol no way the Warriors are giving up a top 5 pick potentially for zinger at this point never gonna happen


ok gl winning with wiggs and rookie wiseman with a expiring 3 yr window. just win 1 more and rebuild. you had your run.
I dont mind the warriors imploding with all of them injured but wasting Steph's prime yrs is just blasphemous.
Just trade the trio for better deserving teams instead of holding them hostage.


No one would trade a potential top 5 pick for KP lol.
NY2k1
Starter
Posts: 2,053
And1: 461
Joined: Dec 21, 2011

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#117 » by NY2k1 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:05 pm

Swish1906 wrote:And Cuban told the Athletic that the reports are bull. But keep on giving trash reporters with BS sources their necessary clicks. Since they need clicks not to get laid off


I mean, it could be bull, but Mark Cuban isn't gonna confirm this even if true.
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 60,670
And1: 53,754
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: 403 Minutes in the Bay
   

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#118 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:08 pm

NY2k1 wrote:
Swish1906 wrote:And Cuban told the Athletic that the reports are bull. But keep on giving trash reporters with BS sources their necessary clicks. Since they need clicks not to get laid off


I mean, it could be bull, but Mark Cuban isn't gonna confirm this even if true.


Yeah it could be made up but the denial is worthless. Cuban is never going to say oh yeah we've been shopping him but nobody wants him so....
ThunderBolt wrote:Some of you guys need understand that not every play is a prophetic vision of the player's career trajectory.

Swish1906
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,271
And1: 6,416
Joined: Apr 09, 2019
 

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#119 » by Swish1906 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:14 pm

NY2k1 wrote:
Swish1906 wrote:And Cuban told the Athletic that the reports are bull. But keep on giving trash reporters with BS sources their necessary clicks. Since they need clicks not to get laid off


I mean, it could be bull, but Mark Cuban isn't gonna confirm this even if true.


Then Marc Stein would tweet about it. Or Shams or Woj. They dont. Thats all you need to know. Stein is best regarding Mavs and the other two league wide.

But no, this pretty big rumour gets out by some small bleacher report guys. Guys who are getting laid off if they dont produce enough clicks.

There are a handful great sources in the league. I really dont know why anyone would listen to other ones
OrangeBlueSkies
Veteran
Posts: 2,798
And1: 1,774
Joined: Jul 22, 2013

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#120 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:14 pm

urgal wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:Not sure but I know what Walt Perrin and his scouting staff is doing. Prepping for the loaded 2021 NBA draft:

11 Pelicans Jalen Johnson PF – Duke – HT: 6-8 – WT: 215 – WING: 6-10 1/2 – Fr – Johnson has left the Duke program to focus on getting healthy and training for the draft. This is a big disappointment, especially after he missed his senior year of high school. He’s a special talent but there are some orange flags starting to come up. Tobias Harris

#12 Knicks (from Mavs) James Bouknight SG – UConn – HT: 6-4 – WT: 175 – WING: NA – So – A long, wiry athlete with big time leaping ability and a good shooting touch. Has a sweet pull-up game. He’s back in action after missing a few weeks with an elbow injury. Derek Anderson

13 Kings Corey Kispert SF – Gonzaga – HT: 6-7 – WT: 220 – WING: NA – Sr – Lives behind the 3pt line and has a great shooting stroke and is rounding out the rest of his game. Martell Webster, Joe Harris

You didn't nail one single one of your last 25 lottery picks (which is why you're still reliant on them). What makes you optimistic about this one?

But I'm rooting for you. I hope another Kevin Knox is in store for you.



Not worried about the Mavs pick. That’s just an asset. And we have seen wilder things happen, that pick can stay around 12 or even be lower in the lottery.

We may have not nailed our picks up until this past draft. There’s a new regime in town in case you had not noticed, and they aren’t here just for the paychecks.

Return to The General Board