NBA MVP Discussion '20-'21, Part 2 (Poll created 21 March '21)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who be's the MVPs?

Giannis Antetokounmpo
10%
Steph Curry
9%
Luka Doncic
4%
Joel Embiid
6%
James Harden
6%
LeBron James
2%
Nikola Jokic
54%
Kawhi Leonard
1%
Damian Lillard
2%
Some other guy (tell us who!)
5%

Total votes: 572

donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,177

Re: NBA MVP Discussion '20-'21, Part 2 (Poll created 21 March '21) 

Post#41 » by donnieme » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:31 pm

asero wrote:48 games to qualify right? Lebron only has 41 so far.

48 to qualify seems low. That's a third of the season missed in an already shortened season. More like 48 games and you're disqualified. Other candidates having 2 more months of MVP play is significant
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,564

Post#42 » by Bob8 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:33 pm

NADALalot wrote:Doncic has no chance, because you have to be a winner to win the MVP, and Dallas are lost.
With the Clippers and Lakers falling, looks like Denver will get to 3rd place in the next couple of weeks.
But Denver can lose to anyone, so they won't get a stranglehold on 3rd place, just have a good chance.
And I doubt they'll reach the top 2, unless Utah continue to fall.
Chris Paul will make sure Phoenix finish #1, and he's the real most valuable player if we disregard stats.
If voter fatigue is not a problem, Giannis is the safest bet, because Milwaukee are very consistent and have a very good chance at finishing top 2.
But if voter fatigue is a problem then Jokic has the edge.

Mavs are only 2.5 games behind Denver, have won tie-breaker against Denver and have the easiest remaining schedule in Nba.

http://www.tankathon.com/remaining_schedule_strength
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#43 » by SeniorWalker » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:58 pm

BoatsNZones wrote:CP3 is a cute off path name to say but no, the man is in his twilight seasons and while still highly effective/important, he is not close to MVP caliber. I could make a case that Mikal Bridges is nearly equal to their team success.

Again, the MVP is Jokic. Has been all season. I have no idea how or why this mans generational season is being so undervalued.

Jokic deserves lots of praise and I would say he is the clear frontrunner at this point but the reason why he is seemingly 'undervalued' is because the nuggets are not a top 2 team. If he were doing this with the nuggets having one of the best records in basketball, he'd have been the overwhelming favorite all season. Similar to giannis last year, he was far ahead of the field in every category, including winning, so it was never really close.

The race is 'close' only because of that. There's really nothing else to it.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#44 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:42 pm

luka has mvp chance 2.5 games back and the nuggets find ways to lose the pelicans
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,812

Post#45 » by GSP » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:15 pm

Odds

Jokic -110
Bron +600
Embiid +600
Giannis +650
Luka +1100
Harden +1100
Dame +1100
Steph +1800
Kawhi +3000

Commanding lead for Nikola this is the first time all season someone has been a minus favorite to win Mvp
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,190

Post#46 » by Mickey8 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:03 pm

Stop mention Jokic name in the MVP race, these are the "experts" who are voting for that award . The sad state of the sport broadcasting and journalism .

;ab_channel=Ho%C3%A0ngT%E1%BB%AD2K
Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#47 » by Mickey8 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:11 pm

NADALalot wrote:Doncic has no chance, because you have to be a winner to win the MVP, and Dallas are lost.
With the Clippers and Lakers falling, looks like Denver will get to 3rd place in the next couple of weeks.
But Denver can lose to anyone, so they won't get a stranglehold on 3rd place, just have a good chance.
And I doubt they'll reach the top 2, unless Utah continue to fall.
Chris Paul will make sure Phoenix finish #1, and he's the real most valuable player if we disregard stats.
If voter fatigue is not a problem, Giannis is the safest bet, because Milwaukee are very consistent and have a very good chance at finishing top 2.
But if voter fatigue is a problem then Jokic has the edge.

He should be in the conversation, Dallas have the winning record, its not that they are lottery team and they could improve their standing in the Western Conference. Why people are acting like the season is over after every game teams play out :roll: And I don't know why somebody's team have to be the top seed in the Conference so the player on that team can be considered as the leading candidate for an award. Embiid is the great player but the Sixers are still winning the games with him being out, its not that they are complete trash , take Jokic and Doncic out from their teams for the extended period of time , I think both teams would have a hard time making the post season.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,812

Post#48 » by GSP » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:19 pm

Mickey8 wrote:Stop mention Jokic name in the MVP race, these are the "experts" who are voting for that award . The sad state of the sport broadcasting and journalism .

Nick Wright doesn't have an Mvp vote lol I don't think anyone on that panel does
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,577

Post#49 » by KGtabake » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:07 pm

Mickey8 wrote:Stop mention Jokic name in the MVP race, these are the "experts" who are voting for that award . The sad state of the sport broadcasting and journalism .

Don't pay any attention to guys like these, skip bayless, Stephen a smith, kellerman etc etc

Giannis won two seasons in the row easily because the ones who do vote(guys like lowe for example) actually watch the games and have no agenda. Ofc there's always someone like Rachel Nichols but it's minority.
Niko has to stay healthy and Denver to finish in the top4. Don't worry mate :wink:
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
TheFire
Senior
And1: 914

Post#50 » by TheFire » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:46 pm

Ridiculous. I made a thread about the American sports media disrespecting Jokic this season and this is further proof. Funny how that clown Marshall dismisses Jokic because nuggets lost to pelicans but had nothing to say about Harden’s awful performance vs Magic.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Post#51 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:51 pm

TheFire wrote:

Ridiculous. I made a thread about the American sports media disrespecting Jokic this season and this is further proof. Funny how that clown Marshall dismisses Jokic because nuggets lost to pelicans but had nothing to say about Harden’s awful performance vs Magic.

The worst part is they are doing a disservice to the nba as a whole by playing down the international guys. These talking head idiots are such a disgrace.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Re: NBA MVP Discussion '20-'21, Part 2 (Poll created 21 March '21)) 

Post#52 » by LesGrossman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:30 am

chaimer wrote:Guys tell me when dEnVerS EaSy sChedule kicks in, because they just lost again.

Everybody agrees that Westbrook winning in 2017 was a mistake. Jokic winning as a 5-6th seed would look the same..

You still havent gotten over your hero's exit from the MVP discussion? :lol:

Jokic has a historical season. Bandwagoners can talk nonsense as much as they like, they dont have a vote in this. If Embiid is out and Harden doesnt do miracles, its Jokic's MVP to lose and rightfully so. Simply the most complete player.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#53 » by LesGrossman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:39 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
TheFire wrote:

The worst part is they are doing a disservice to the nba as a whole by playing down the international guys. These talking head idiots are such a disgrace.

They are not playing down the international guys, because Giannis is an international guy. They openly disrespect the white guy who looks slightly overweight and undefined because he does not fit their stereotype.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Post#54 » by Cavsfansince84 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:42 am

LesGrossman wrote:They are not playing down the international guys, because Giannis is an international guy. They openly disrespect the white guy who looks slightly overweight and undefined because he does not fit their stereotype.

I'm not saying all Int'l guys because I'm aware that Giannis is Euro but I do think Jokic being Euro is part of it.
greekbuck34
RealGM
And1: 11,638

Post#55 » by greekbuck34 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:53 am

If you think Jokic is being disrespected wait for him to actually get his team to a top 2 spot. Last season Giannis had everything, the stats, the top spot, DPOY defense the best PER of all time and the media were trying till the end to swift this in favour of Lebron who also had a two way monster in AD.
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: I think that we will do worse than last season and that Giannis is now just a mere all star. All because we switched from Bud to Griffin.
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#56 » by SeniorWalker » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:57 am

greekbuck34 wrote:If you think Jokic is being disrespected wait for him to actually get his team to a top 2 spot. Last season Giannis had everything, the stats, the top spot, DPOY defense the best PER of all time and the media were trying till the end to swift this in favour of Lebron who also had a two way monster in AD.

This. People talking about his whiteness are ridiculous. Winning records have always played a huge part in the award, only the rarest cases has it not. This is a close race because the Nuggets are a 5th seed, thats it. All the rest of it is really unnecessary.
I would bet anything that if Jokic had a top seed with his current stats, we'd be arguing about him winning unanimously or not.

Steve Nash won back to back and there were definitely players who had arguments over him and were clearly better individual players in those years.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#57 » by Dupp » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:18 am

Nuggets are trending in the right direction (8 of last 10).

Team record will factor though, as always. Voters may be more lenient though given the covid stuff. But Jokic not getting the right level of media respect is a legit concern. He wasnt talked about at all in regards to mvp last season and he should have been.

I think the playoff exposure would have done him good though.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,180

Post#58 » by dygaction » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:53 am

Dupp wrote:Nuggets are trending in the right direction (8 of last 10).

Team record will factor though, as always. Voters may be more lenient though given the covid stuff. But Jokic not getting the right level of media respect is a legit concern. He wasnt talked about at all in regards to mvp last season and he should have been.

I think the playoff exposure would have done him good though.

They do not talk about anything else except Lakers and Nets. Even when both LeBron and AD out, they still cover Lakers and how they should trade instead of other upcoming teams.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#59 » by psimanic1 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:02 pm

Lakers and Nets will bring them money, not Denver, not Jokic. Most of the Jokic fans are probably watching illegal streams, even Denver fans as there are issues with legal streams I think for Denver people.. To start just with that, it doesnt put money in NBA pockets
Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#60 » by Mickey8 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:13 pm

SeniorWalker wrote:
greekbuck34 wrote:If you think Jokic is being disrespected wait for him to actually get his team to a top 2 spot. Last season Giannis had everything, the stats, the top spot, DPOY defense the best PER of all time and the media were trying till the end to swift this in favour of Lebron who also had a two way monster in AD.

This. People talking about his whiteness are ridiculous. Winning records have always played a huge part in the award, only the rarest cases has it not. This is a close race because the Nuggets are a 5th seed, thats it. All the rest of it is really unnecessary.
I would bet anything that if Jokic had a top seed with his current stats, we'd be arguing about him winning unanimously or not.

Steve Nash won back to back and there were definitely players who had arguments over him and were clearly better individual players in those years.

Wrong :banghead: The Nuggets are like three games below third seat in a very competitive West Conference and they are making out like Denver is out of the play off's and there are still plenty of games left to play . Just look at that bone head ex football player, he said , Jokic lost to Pelicans he's out of the race , I bet he can't name five players on Denver Nuggets without using search engine :lol: Yet they are hyping players who have formed the super team,SAS was promoting Irving as the MVP candidate, the player who has quit on his own team earlier and have missed chunk of the season already . Those talking heads, are not doing any analysis , about teams injuries , what teams have been through this season. They are just hyping specific players, whatever they are assigned from the top to talk about, whole media is like that weather is the sports or the politics, pure trash.

Return to The General Board