Who's more athletic: David Robinson or Dwight Howard?

Moderators: jamaalstar21, -Sammy-, infinite11285, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid

More athletic

Dwight Howard
33%
David Robinson
67%

Total votes: 145

Cavsfansince84
General Manager
And1: 6,421

Re: Who's more athletic: David Robinson or Dwight Howard? 

Post#61 » by Cavsfansince84 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:44 am

OKCfanSinceSGA wrote:Correct if me if I’m wrong but wasn’t DRob considered soft? Like his reputation. Not a mental midget like Dwight but physically not exactly a guy to seek out much contact in the paint etc. I grew up with the general sentiment being that he was more of a finesse guy in reputation. Am I thinking of someone else?

There was definitely a criticism of him being sort of soft. As in too nice and not having the competitive fire of an MJ or Hakeem. Not willing to step up and carry the offense in the playoffs. That criticism was absolutely there.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 13,351

Post#62 » by 70sFan » Thu Apr 1, 2021 7:55 am

Robinson was taller, faster, quicker, more coordinated and more nimble.

Dwight was heavier, stronger and had higher vertical leap.

I'd give Admiral edge because of how fast and quick he was at his height. He simply had more functional athleticism in basketball sense than Dwight. Both are among the most athletic players ever.

Also, I've seen many exaggarations in this thread.

Robinson was strong (especially with upper body), but he was also quite lean and he weighed around 240 lbs in his prime. He wasn't a gigantic bruiser some people believe, his game was built around quickness and explosiveness. It's true that it's impossible to measure strength on basketball court, but I don't think it's unreasonable to call Dwight stronger.

Dwight was powerfully built, but calling him 300 lbs at his peak is way off. To my knowledge, he never went past 280 lbs. Keep in mind that he was only 6'9 without the shoes, so he's not even close to the tallest centers in the league. His prime weight was usually described as 270 lbs and I think it's fair - he started hos career at 240 lbs and 30 lbs of muscle is a lot. People don't realize that 270 lbs for a 6'9 basketball player is a huge frame, especially for someone like Dwight who has small lower body.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,209
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#63 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:02 am

Dwight jumps higher, but Robinson is just a lot longer and more fluid and coordinated. Dwight looks awkward trying to do anything but jump straight up in the air. Some of the moves Robinson can make weaving to the basket with the ball are things Dwight can only dream of.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,432

Post#64 » by GYK » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:14 am

Coordination with and without the ball is certainly in DRob favor but so is coordination of Westbrook or Rose compared to Lebron or Jordan. He’s more of oversized forward than a big. Dwight still might be faster. I think he’s the fastest center around but with no times hard to say. I think he’s also the better lateral mover. Obviously stronger and a greater leaper and might be the best.
I put DRob as a stronger yet less coordinated KG.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 15,650

Post#65 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Apr 1, 2021 9:10 am

BombsquadSammy wrote:If you haven't watched both players' careers in real time, there's only so much insight you can bring to this discussion; highlights only get you so far, and observing a weak point in a player's basketball at some random point in his career (i.e. one or both guys having problems in the paint) doesn't do that much to inform a discussion on athleticism.

It's intriguing to me that so many folks in this thread have strong opinions on the strength comparison despite the fact that it can't be quantified in any meaningful way.

Shaq and Isiah Thomas are probably equal in strength - we can't quantify otherwise! Obviously we can observe from what we see and make an educated guess on who is stronger.

Howard is heavier, more muscular, has a lower center of gravity and plays a much more physical style than David Robinson. It's not 100% verified, but there is observable evidence that he is probably a stronger player(or uses it in a more functional way). Doesn't exactly mean Robinson was a weakling or he is a worse athlete.
Hussien Fatal
Starter
And1: 706

Post#66 » by Hussien Fatal » Thu Apr 1, 2021 11:32 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:Dwight probably explodes off 2 feet a little better than Robinson. But overall, Robinson. Faster, quicker, more fluid and flexible. All of this in a significantly taller body.

Dwight seems stronger to me though.

Dwight stronger than Robinson? Im not seeing that at all.

Dwight is one of the strongest NBA players ever. Only behind Shaq and wilt. Robinson was chiseled but Dwights shoulders are much wider and his upper body seems to just be stronger the way he moves bigs. Robinson was more finesse than power. Dwight was raw power in his prime and eve still today he’s stronger than almost every player today.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,034

Post#67 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:14 pm

Hussien Fatal wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:Dwight seems stronger to me though.

Dwight is one of the strongest NBA players ever. Only behind Shaq and wilt. Robinson was chiseled but Dwights shoulders are much wider and his upper body seems to just be stronger the way he moves bigs. Robinson was more finesse than power. Dwight was raw power in his prime and eve still today he’s stronger than almost every player today.

Sorry I don't buy that. Eddy Curry used to muscle Dwight around.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 5,234

Post#68 » by Woodsanity » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:32 pm

All I know from reading this thread is a lot of people never watched D Rob play....
twix2500 wrote:If Lebron went to NY and Melo to Miami, Melo would have a trophy and Lebron would not.

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:The more I watch basketball, the more I realize that Kobe, in his absolute prime (2006-2008), was a top 2 player of all-time, only second to Jordan.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,209
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#69 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:11 pm

70sFan wrote:Robinson was taller, faster, quicker, more coordinated and more nimble.

I'd give Admiral edge because of how fast and quick he was at his height. He simply had more functional athleticism in basketball sense than Dwight. Both are among the most athletic players ever.

Robinson was strong (especially with upper body), but he was also quite lean and he weighed around 240 lbs in his prime. He wasn't a gigantic bruiser some people believe, his game was built around quickness and explosiveness. It's true that it's impossible to measure strength on basketball court, but I don't think it's unreasonable to call Dwight stronger.

Dwight was powerfully built, but calling him 300 lbs at his peak is way off. To my knowledge, he never went past 280 lbs. Keep in mind that he was only 6'9 without the shoes, so he's not even close to the tallest centers in the league. His prime weight was usually described as 270 lbs and I think it's fair - he started hos career at 240 lbs and 30 lbs of muscle is a lot. People don't realize that 270 lbs for a 6'9 basketball player is a huge frame, especially for someone like Dwight who has small lower body.

Great analysis. I think people here are very bad judges of size, height, weight, length, etc. I know it's a small gripe, but it's one of the things I'm always intrigued by. I assume you are as well, and are very well educated on the topic, comparing past players, and trying to get a good read on guys height/weight and such by using anecdotes mixed with actual measurements, etc.

Dwight is thicker IMO, but both had overrated basketball strength because they look so beefy from those big deltoids lol. Both were lacking in terms of lower body bulk and static strength there that would allow guys to post up more successfully.

I think there is just a lot of size/height here. Dwight looks like a big, muscular guy. Robinson looks like a true giant. I don't think he was 280+, but he's definitely more than the 240-250 that guys like Davis, Giannis, Durant etc are. He's both a thicker, more muscular guy, but he's just so tall and huge as well. I bet in his prime he was lighter than he appears, because he has a small(relative) lower body and he's like super low body fat for a guy with all that musculature, but I can't see him weighing less than KG and Duncan in their older days, who both were over 245.

This is a big big man, I know this isn't his prime, but his dimensions are just so big.

Spoiler:

Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Rastas
Sixth Man
And1: 790

Post#70 » by Rastas » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:10 pm

They both in the same tier , but if I had to pick 1 , probably Robinson.

Sent from my SM-G998B using RealGM mobile app
70sFan
RealGM

Post#71 » by 70sFan » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:56 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
70sFan wrote:Robinson was taller, faster, quicker, more coordinated and more nimble.

Great analysis. I think people here are very bad judges of size, height, weight, length, etc. I know it's a small gripe, but it's one of the things I'm always intrigued by. I assume you are as well, and are very well educated on the topic, comparing past players, and trying to get a good read on guys height/weight and such by using anecdotes mixed with actual measurements, etc.

Dwight is thicker IMO, but both had overrated basketball strength because they look so beefy from those big deltoids lol. Both were lacking in terms of lower body bulk and static strength there that would allow guys to post up more successfully.

I think there is just a lot of size/height here. Dwight looks like a big, muscular guy. Robinson looks like a true giant. I don't think he was 280+, but he's definitely more than the 240-250 that guys like Davis, Giannis, Durant etc are. He's both a thicker, more muscular guy, but he's just so tall and huge as well. I bet in his prime he was lighter than he appears, because he has a small(relative) lower body and he's like super low body fat for a guy with all that musculature, but I can't see him weighing less than KG and Duncan in their older days, who both were over 245.

This is a big big man, I know this isn't his prime, but his dimensions are just so big.

Spoiler:

Robinson was actually clearly bigger after injury. I've heard that he reached around 265 lbs in his later years, but he wasn't as big at his peak:

I've heard that he started his career at very light 230 lbs, then he bulked up to around 245-250 lbs at his peak and I believe that he was over 260 lbs in his older years. Sounds fair when you compare him to other true 7 footers during that time - he wasn't that big compared to them.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#72 » by 70sFan » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:56 pm

Hussien Fatal wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:Dwight seems stronger to me though.

Dwight was certainly strong, but he's not close to Artis Gilmore in that department. A-Train would move Dwight around like a ragdoll.

Return to The General Board