Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy

Moderators: jamaalstar21, infinite11285, BombsquadSammy, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid

User avatar
Optms
RealGM
Posts: 18,112
And1: 12,305
Joined: Jun 11, 2009
 

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#101 » by Optms » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:26 am

bovice wrote:
Optms wrote:
bovice wrote:people conflate influence with greatness.

curry is more influential than a lot of players that are actually better than him. harden, kd, cp3, kawhi are better #1 options than curry but curry has influenced the style of play more than them. been saying this.


What nonsense rambling is this?

Curry holds multiple 3 point records and will continue to set many more. He has completely shattered any arguments any and all arguments any player as the best shooer. His greatness was so apparent people were calling him the greatest shooter - And this came BEFORE his historical season in 2016, in which he was voted the MVP by unanimous votes on route to leading a team to 73 wins, eclipsing the legendary Bulls record.

Not any the players you named has ever reached the level of greatness Curry did as a primary option, much less win multiple MVP awards. Try again.


you don't understand basketball and I don't care to explain it. curry's style of play isn't an imposing one. he fluked his way to his first ring because everyone else was injured and kd carried him the other 2 times. those teams were not beating Lebron without kd. stop posting with emotion, my argument is a logical one.


No, it's you who doesn't understand basketball. How in the hell does someone "fluke" their way to a ring? Let me guess, he also fluked his way to back-to-back MVPs in an era with peak Lebron, KD and Kawhi, too? :crazy:
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
Posts: 18,439
And1: 10,198
Joined: Feb 12, 2010
Location: Somewhere in Boston
     

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#102 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:02 pm

News flash: Rob Parker is not a real journalist. He's a Skip/Shannon/Steven A Smith type- has an agenda and is known for saying bizarre stuff. That's how he's making a living.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
rtiff68
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,316
And1: 1,503
Joined: May 25, 2019

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#103 » by rtiff68 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:10 pm

Metallikid wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Carried them to what exactly? The picks good enough to get Klay and Dray?


oh yea, picking Dray in the 2nd round, and Klay 11th overall, such high picks, much wow, such kiss...just an enormous amount of talent that Steph played with.

and he's been carrying this team long before Kerr came and board and the Warriors were the Warriors...like 47 wins and a WC semis birth back in 12-13, 51 wins in 13-14 while taking the Big 3 Clips to a 7 game series single handedly.

and you're currently seeing one of the greatest carry jobs in the last decade, a team without him on the court which has the 7th worst offensive rating of all time, a team without him that won a whopping 15 games last season, is now fighting for PO positioning only because of him.

lol @ you guys acting like Steph, a generational player, one of the top 15 or 20 players of all time (you read that right) has ANYTHING to prove to you haters at this point. comical.


THE POINT IS HE DID NOTHING BEFORE THEM. WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR WARRIORS/CURRY FANS TO READ ENGLISH?

Like eight responses and nobody even cared to read what I was saying.

2009-2010: 26-56
2010-2011: 36-46
2011-2012: 23-43
2012-2013: 47-35 (1 playoff series win)
2013-2014: 51-31

That's what Curry did before he had all three of Kerr, Klay and Dray. Bupkis.



2009-2010: The Warriors were awful the year before, as they had been for the majority of the previous 20 years. LeBron’s Cavs went 35-47 his rookie year, so that’s reason
to criticize him too, right? Harden came off of the bench for 23mpg and shot 40% for 9ppg. He MuSt SuX ToO!! Curry was runner up for ROY, btw.

2010-2011: The team, which was still bad, struggled his 2nd year too.

2011-2012: Steph only started 23 games due to injury, bUt ThAt ReCoRd iS aLl HiS fAulT!

So, in what was essentially his 3rd season, he lead a team to the playoffs— a team that had made the playoffs ONCE IN THE PREVIOUS SEVENTEEN YEARS BEFORE THEY DRAFTED HIM— and made it to the 2nd round...with rookies starting at SF and C, 2nd year Klay averaging 16ppg on .422, and Dray barely playing.

Then they made the playoffs again. Then won a title. Then 73 games and made the Finals.

I can read English just fine— it’s your non-existent “point” that is “bupkis.” You’re trying to spin the facts to say he “did nothing before Kerr, Klay, and Draymond,” which isn’t true, especially when you compare his early career to some other stars while taking into context the situations they were all drafted into.

Here’s another way to look at your “nothing before Klay, Dray” comment: no disrespect to those guys, because I love them, but how many superstars have had a two year run like 2015-2016 where their 2nd and 3rd best players were worse than those guys?

It’s not a terribly long list.
DB23
Sophomore
Posts: 181
And1: 121
Joined: Jun 10, 2018

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#104 » by DB23 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:13 pm

Optms wrote:
bovice wrote:
Optms wrote:
What nonsense rambling is this?

Curry holds multiple 3 point records and will continue to set many more. He has completely shattered any arguments any and all arguments any player as the best shooer. His greatness was so apparent people were calling him the greatest shooter - And this came BEFORE his historical season in 2016, in which he was voted the MVP by unanimous votes on route to leading a team to 73 wins, eclipsing the legendary Bulls record.

Not any the players you named has ever reached the level of greatness Curry did as a primary option, much less win multiple MVP awards. Try again.


you don't understand basketball and I don't care to explain it. curry's style of play isn't an imposing one. he fluked his way to his first ring because everyone else was injured and kd carried him the other 2 times. those teams were not beating Lebron without kd. stop posting with emotion, my argument is a logical one.


No, it's you who doesn't understand basketball. How in the hell does someone "fluke" their way to a ring? Let me guess, he also fluked his way to back-to-back MVPs in an era with peak Lebron, KD and Kawhi, too? :crazy:


This is basically the crux of the disagreement. Some people feel intuitively or by the eye test that curry can’t be better than KD or harden etc

This is despite all the accolades and stats that back his greatness up.

They look at the fact that he is the single most efficient volume scorer in nba history and it doesn’t gel with the fact that he’s scrawny and can’t do things physically that KD can do. It’s hard for some people to comprehend. This is despite the fact that he’s beaten many of these guys including KD head to head with equal supporting casts.

It’s the same with his playoff performance reputation, he has 1-2 bad games in big moments and some people are willing to ignore the body of evidence that gives him a top ten all time playoff scoring average. He’s held to a totally different standard to other superstars and all time talent. Lebron missed the playoffs with the lakers and of course it’s not lebron. But curry misses the playoffs in his second year and people act like it invalidates his whole career.

The haters have a hard time accepting the stats, accolades and accomplishments because they can’t understand how someone without the otherworldly athletic ability could be dominating the game like he does.

Which leaves you with the above, no real argument made, just empty phrases like fluke etc
WarriorGM
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,804
And1: 1,842
Joined: Aug 19, 2017

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#105 » by WarriorGM » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:16 pm

Kobe187 wrote:Some posters saying that Curry can’t elevate mediocre teams like Harden and company could, it’s due to his team first basketball approach. He’s not an iso player and feeds off of team play, if his team is poor his game will suffer, but if his team plays well, he will really shine and vastly improve his team. Without a doubt the greatest shooter in NBA history, he revolutionized the way the game is played, that’s transcendence.


Curry elevates teams better than Harden. When did Harden do that better?

bovice wrote:people conflate influence with greatness.

curry is more influential than a lot of players that are actually better than him. harden, kd, cp3, kawhi are better #1 options than curry but curry has influenced the style of play more than them. been saying this.


Yeah we saw Curry beat Harden, CP3 and KD—the first two playing together and the latter playing with the following year's MVP Westbrook—but they're better than him. It seems you have a condition that makes you conclude the opposite of what the logical conclusion would be.
WarriorGM
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,804
And1: 1,842
Joined: Aug 19, 2017

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#106 » by WarriorGM » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:30 pm

Optms wrote:
bovice wrote:
Optms wrote:
What nonsense rambling is this?

Curry holds multiple 3 point records and will continue to set many more. He has completely shattered any arguments any and all arguments any player as the best shooer. His greatness was so apparent people were calling him the greatest shooter - And this came BEFORE his historical season in 2016, in which he was voted the MVP by unanimous votes on route to leading a team to 73 wins, eclipsing the legendary Bulls record.

Not any the players you named has ever reached the level of greatness Curry did as a primary option, much less win multiple MVP awards. Try again.


you don't understand basketball and I don't care to explain it. curry's style of play isn't an imposing one. he fluked his way to his first ring because everyone else was injured and kd carried him the other 2 times. those teams were not beating Lebron without kd. stop posting with emotion, my argument is a logical one.


No, it's you who doesn't understand basketball. How in the hell does someone "fluke" their way to a ring? Let me guess, he also fluked his way to back-to-back MVPs in an era with peak Lebron, KD and Kawhi, too? :crazy:


He fluked his way to five consecutive finals coming from the Western Conference. Am I using the word "fluke" right? Can someone check?
WarriorGM
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,804
And1: 1,842
Joined: Aug 19, 2017

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#107 » by WarriorGM » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:40 pm

Metallikid wrote:That's literally the definition of special pleading. You've been doing it this whole time.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/special-pleading

It's outcome based. It doesn't matter what excuse you want to drone on about. He didn't have good enough team success to win multiple playoff rounds and he didn't have good enough individual success to garner awards in those years.

I'm sorry, I don't think he's transcendent. The unanimous MVP is his signature achievement, I give him a lot of credit for that, but I think he is truly a product of his era and not the other way around.


What kind of drivel is this? One learns new sophistry everyday!

It's outcome based? Well what else should conclusions be based on if not outcomes? Usain Bolt sets the 100m dash world record time. Expert says he's not really the fastest man on earth [for reasons]. Is contesting the "expert" based on the world record time "special pleading"?

I have another fallacy for you to look up: appeal to authority.
User avatar
jamaalstar21
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 3,603
And1: 6,734
Joined: Jul 21, 2016
 

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#108 » by jamaalstar21 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:46 pm

Big ups to all the realgm users who go out there and do the work of finding bad takes and bringing them here for us all to discuss.
User avatar
Message Boar
Junior
Posts: 490
And1: 462
Joined: Apr 07, 2019
Location: The Netherlands
       

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#109 » by Message Boar » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:49 pm

Who is Rob Parker and why should I care what he thinks?
LakersNavy
Freshman
Posts: 51
And1: 33
Joined: Dec 12, 2020

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#110 » by LakersNavy » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:04 pm

Rob Parker is a clown whose admitted to being contrarian solely for clicks and attention. I don't think he even genuinely believes the things he says.

He literally said "you're not gonna last in this business if you just go along with what everybody else does, save that for the beat writers. You've gotta find an angle to get people talking."

That's all he's doing. Throwing out hot takes to get people riled up.
Metallikid
RealGM
Posts: 10,085
And1: 9,376
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#111 » by Metallikid » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:08 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
Metallikid wrote:That's literally the definition of special pleading. You've been doing it this whole time.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/special-pleading

It's outcome based. It doesn't matter what excuse you want to drone on about. He didn't have good enough team success to win multiple playoff rounds and he didn't have good enough individual success to garner awards in those years.

I'm sorry, I don't think he's transcendent. The unanimous MVP is his signature achievement, I give him a lot of credit for that, but I think he is truly a product of his era and not the other way around.


What kind of drivel is this? One learns new sophistry everyday!

It's outcome based? Well what else should conclusions be based on if not outcomes? Usain Bolt sets the 100m dash world record time. Expert says he's not really the fastest man on earth [for reasons]. Is contesting the "expert" based on the world record time "special pleading"?

I have another fallacy for you to look up: appeal to authority.


You're not following my conversation. I said it's outcome based because the person I was talking to kept saying things like, "Curry deserved this award this year even though he didn't get it." Meaning when it comes to being a transcendent player, one of the 20 best of all time, it doesn't matter what the reason was you did get it, only the outcome matters. I know my fallacies very well. I don't know what authority you think I'm appealing to. All these Curry stans love using the appeal to popularity though.
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *
chrisab123
General Manager
Posts: 9,777
And1: 6,024
Joined: Jul 07, 2012
         

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#112 » by chrisab123 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:09 pm

I wonder if he still thinks Brady is the luckiest of all time....
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 48,048
And1: 54,658
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#113 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:44 pm

JN61 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
JN61 wrote:He has done nothing without top tier talent. And when he has it other people in his own team have outplayed him on the highest stage. This year going to fight for the playoff spot without top 5 supporting cast.


lol, he led a **** Mark Jackson team to 51 wins on own, and took what was super team lob city to 7 games in the playoffs, also on his own. a lot of revisionist history going in your posts in the Curry threads, I'm noticing.

So he did nothing.


what should he have done? walk us thru the season.
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
flow
Starter
Posts: 2,434
And1: 1,549
Joined: Feb 18, 2016

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#114 » by flow » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:55 pm

Pharmcat wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:Well, Rob Parker is wrong, just like he is with 99% of the nonsense he spouts.


Can't think of anyone who is often more wrong than him, maybe Whitlock


Max on Brady? :dontknow:


Funny you should mention Brady. Because for years now, Rob Parker has been trashing Tom Brady more than any media member I know. And Brady keeps making him look like a complete fool.

.
User avatar
Galloisdaman
Analyst
Posts: 3,212
And1: 1,807
Joined: Mar 17, 2011

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#115 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:04 pm

Durant was the better taller more important player BUT that does not mean Curry was not great. Durant is A plus tier . Curry is in a slightly lower tier like A minus.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Marrrcuss
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,345
And1: 953
Joined: Oct 23, 2020
     

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#116 » by Marrrcuss » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:07 pm

Leave harden all the way out of this. He has taken utter trash and made them playoff contenders since Houston. No one made a million excuses for him every day. In fact. i wish i knew why the media had it in for him like they do. His style hasnt always been fun to watch but he is dominant. Curry on those same teams would be lottery bound.
Metallikid
RealGM
Posts: 10,085
And1: 9,376
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#117 » by Metallikid » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:14 pm

DB23 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
DB23 wrote:
You are embarrassing yourself in this thread my friend.

I think both points are clear for people to see.

Steph’s career the first few years is impressive. Sure, it’s not lebron or Jordan but I don’t think anyone is arguing that.

What myself and most curry fans object to, is being lumped in with lillard or harden (and in some cases claiming he is worse) who he has repeatedly owned over the past decade (and I love dame). With or without KD.


No I've had a pretty solid case the whole way. Steph's great, no doubt, but he's not what you guys make him out to be.


Which to me is a top 15 all time guy and 2nd best pg all time. If he wins another ring then he’s in the top 10 imo.

So how far off are we?

I have no problem saying he isn’t as good as lebron or Jordan although you could say he’s had just as big an impact on the game.


We're quite far off.

I've always been someone who really valued the older eras, defense, and longevity. I don't value rings as much as others. Barring something crazy he's not going to win another ring. The vast majority of the Steph Curry story has already been written. He's a player who was a product of his era and fit it perfectly. He had a top ten all-time offensive peak. His unanimous MVP is his signature achievement and it's one of the very best single seasons ever, but he'll always be remembered as someone who, when there were times when he could have made his legacy much greater, failed. He was never outstanding enough to be Finals MVP, and I do take marks off for the fact that without KD we really don't know how those two years play out. He's not going to have very good counting stats or career awards compared to others in the top 30. He has never done anything at an elite level other than shooting. His defense is meh. I have never felt he was a particularly good leader.

I have him around 25th-30th right now; I acknowledge it's much more arguable towards the end of my list that's why I gave a range.

In No Order.

Bob Pettit
Bob Cousy
Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Moses Malone
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Michael Jordan
Karl Malone
Tim Duncan
LeBron James
Kevin Durant
Kobe Bryant
Shaquille O'Neal
Hakeem Olajuwon
Dirk Nowitzki
Kevin Garnett
Julius Erving
Jerry West
Oscar Robertson
David Robinson
Rick Barry
Elgin Baylor
Scottie Pippen
Chris Paul
John Stockton

If Harden wins a ring as #1a/1b I'd have him ahead of Curry too.
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *
DB23
Sophomore
Posts: 181
And1: 121
Joined: Jun 10, 2018

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#118 » by DB23 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:36 pm

Metallikid wrote:
DB23 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
No I've had a pretty solid case the whole way. Steph's great, no doubt, but he's not what you guys make him out to be.


Which to me is a top 15 all time guy and 2nd best pg all time. If he wins another ring then he’s in the top 10 imo.

So how far off are we?

I have no problem saying he isn’t as good as lebron or Jordan although you could say he’s had just as big an impact on the game.


We're quite far off.

I've always been someone who really valued the older eras, defense, and longevity. I don't value rings as much as others. Barring something crazy he's not going to win another ring. The vast majority of the Steph Curry story has already been written. He's a player who was a product of his era and fit it perfectly and had an all-time great offensive peak. His unanimous MVP is his signature achievement and it's one of the very best single seasons ever, but he'll always be remembered as someone who, when there were times when he could have made his legacy much greater, failed. He was never outstanding enough to be Finals MVP, and I do take marks off for the fact that without KD we really don't know how those two years play out. He's not going to have very good counting stats or career awards compared to others in the top 30. He has never done anything at an elite level other than scoring. His defense is meh. I have never felt he was a particularly good leader.

I have him around 25th-30th right now; I acknowledge it's much more arguable towards the end of my list that's why I gave a range.

In No Order.

Bob Pettit
Bob Cousy
Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Moses Malone
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Michael Jordan
Karl Malone
Tim Duncan
LeBron James
Kevin Durant
Kobe Bryant
Shaquille O'Neal
Hakeem Olajuwon
Dirk Nowitzki
Kevin Garnett
Julius Erving
Jerry West
Oscar Robertson
David Robinson
Rick Barry
Elgin Baylor
Scottie Pippen
Chris Paul
John Stockton

If Harden wins a ring as #1a/1b I'd have him ahead of Curry too.


Ok I can respect that opinion but to me it feels like you have penalized curry for what you are about to give harden credit for. I also get that he has fallen short in some moments but you could say the same thing for everyone on your list, in some cases far more egregious bad performances.

I couldn’t comment on some of the guys before the 80s as I just haven’t seen them (Cousy, petit etc) but I just don’t see how cp3, Stockton, pippen, Robinson can be considered better... for sure 5-10 after that are arguable like nowistki, Durant,Garnett and fair enough people have different opinions.

In terms of leadership, there are different styles. Personally think he should have reigned in draymond more but he leads by example, always 100% effort on both sides and plays the game the right way. Again, many on your list have leadership shortcomings.

I think where we differ though is I don’t think he is a product of the era. I think his style is the era, he broke the mould and ushered in the 3pt era.

I would also say I think he has kind of killed off the traditional PG role. Almost everyone emerging is in his mould.

If he stays on the warriors then maybe the story is done, personally think it would be fantastic to see him on a good but not stacked team make a run and see where it goes.
Peregrine01
Starter
Posts: 2,471
And1: 2,140
Joined: Sep 12, 2012

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player 

Post#119 » by Peregrine01 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:40 pm

Pharmcat wrote:
SNPA wrote:Oh well Rob Parker said it so....(no one knows who that is or cares).



how do you not know who Rob Parker is? He gave us one of the funniest moments on first take ever :lol:



Wow. Wtf?
Ambrose
Veteran
Posts: 2,556
And1: 2,212
Joined: Jul 05, 2014

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#120 » by Ambrose » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:46 pm

Rob Parker is a dumber Skip Bayless with some shades of Jason Whitlock to him. He's one of the worst sports media people out there along with Shaq and Dan LeBatard.

Return to The General Board