Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,452

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#141 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:07 am

Galloisdaman wrote:While I think Durant is the better player Curry is only current player to make my "dream team". That is the team I would want if I had to pick a team to play with each other not the best players.

C- Drob
PF-Duncan
SF-Bird
SG-Jordan
PG-Curry

Curry over Magic because I would want his lights out shooting for all the wide open shots he would get from the other 4 guys.

You want 3 power forwards on a team... (though if we had to pick Duncan is the center, Robinson the power forward, and bird the other power forward). And Curry is of course a shooting guard so we have two of them with Bird maybe the point power foward?
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#142 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:08 am

Memories wrote:I both agree and disagree.

Curry did change the game as we know it today. The dude is going to go down as the greatest shooter of all time, and will go down as such for quite a while.

However, the dude couldn't even win a Finals MVP over a 6th man who was also out of his prime in 2015. And is clearly an inferior player in the playoffs compared to the regular season. So on the biggest stage, he often had teammates that simply outshined him.

Kevin Durant, as much hate as he gets on a personal level, he was, is, and will always be the better and more transcendent talent. Kevin Durant is the human living cheat code on a Basketball court. Curry as great as he is, can be stopped and is more limited than even a Durant after his Achilles/ACL injuries.

Bird under preformed just as much as curry. Voters just didnt' did something stupid and given 6th men the finals MVP when they had zero real case...
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,792

Post#143 » by michaelm » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:09 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:We have so many weird-ass debates in American sports. Stuff like the GOAT or Top 10 lists are one thing. But whether or not, say, particular teams qualify as "dynasties" has always struck me as so pointless. Or whether or not a player is "transcendent." I don't know if this kind of arbitrary and useless labeling happens anywhere else in the world.

I also have no idea why people pay so much attention to people like this, Smith, Bayless, etc. None of these guys believe half the sh*t they say. They're just trying to provoke responses, and unfortunately, as you can see by this thread, it works.

Eh, we could get into real politics where there are some weird topics. We could get into economic politics where things get worse. We could get into conspiracy theory where things get so crazy you wonder how humanity is still alive.

They are my favourite 2 players, and while I agree with you in general KD was the guy to have to specifically combat LeBron.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#144 » by michaelm » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:10 am

Double
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#145 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:11 am

michaelm wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:We have so many weird-ass debates in American sports. Stuff like the GOAT or Top 10 lists are one thing. But whether or not, say, particular teams qualify as "dynasties" has always struck me as so pointless. Or whether or not a player is "transcendent." I don't know if this kind of arbitrary and useless labeling happens anywhere else in the world.

I also have no idea why people pay so much attention to people like this, Smith, Bayless, etc. None of these guys believe half the sh*t they say. They're just trying to provoke responses, and unfortunately, as you can see by this thread, it works.

Eh, we could get into real politics where there are some weird topics. We could get into economic politics where things get worse. We could get into conspiracy theory where things get so crazy you wonder how humanity is still alive.

They are my favourite 2 players, and while I agree with you in general KD was the guy to have to specifically combat LeBron.

Good for him? It's an 82 game season with a 20+ game playoffs. What you do against lebron doesn't mean much imo. It might mean more than most other things but it's still a tiny sample and should be seen as that. Throw in Curry was the reason KD got to play lebron straight up and Curry already made KD's job vs lebron 20% easier.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#146 » by michaelm » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:27 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
michaelm wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Good for him? It's an 82 game season with a 20+ game playoffs. What you do against lebron doesn't mean much imo. It might mean more than most other things but it's still a tiny sample and should be seen as that. Throw in Curry was the reason KD got to play lebron straight up and Curry already made KD's job vs lebron 20% easier.

Don’t disagree with any of that, indeed Curry was more important in getting GSW to those finals against LeBron/the Cavs imo as well as yours. He did address their only deficiency, as an iso option if the movement game wasn’t working/Curry’s and Klay’s shots weren’t on, particularly with Curry and Green as playmakers, and it is hard to conceive a better option to punish a team trying to double or triple team Curry.
DB23
Junior
And1: 393

Post#147 » by DB23 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:52 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
Robinson, Dirk and Durant were better than Curry. The rest I agree with you on.

I'll never understand this KD over Curry stuff. They played on the same team and it imo was unquestionable that Curry was better. Every metric and algorithm with them on or off the court clearly showed this and the eye test was just as clear. It's so hard to compare guys from different eras and on different teams. But we saw these two in their prime together and it wasn't questionable who was better in terms of making their team better.

I have curry edging KD.

Mainly because I think KD is a reluctant team player, preference is iso ball and it ultimately doesn’t lead to as much team success. He also seems reluctant to be really coached. It’s a shame because imo he has top 3 all time talent but these things really hold him back.

No better example than the 2016 okc - warriors series. Similar level of supporting cast and Curry got the better of him. For some reason Curry doesn’t get enough credit for that series, that okc team was stacked.
bovice
Pro Prospect
And1: 895

Post#148 » by bovice » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:57 am

DB23 wrote:
bovice wrote:
DB23 wrote:
This is basically the crux of the disagreement. Some people feel intuitively or by the eye test that curry can’t be better than KD or harden etc

This is despite all the accolades and stats that back his greatness up.

They look at the fact that he is the single most efficient volume scorer in nba history and it doesn’t gel with the fact that he’s scrawny and can’t do things physically that KD can do. It’s hard for some people to comprehend. This is despite the fact that he’s beaten many of these guys including KD head to head with equal supporting casts.

It’s the same with his playoff performance reputation, he has 1-2 bad games in big moments and some people are willing to ignore the body of evidence that gives him a top ten all time playoff scoring average. He’s held to a totally different standard to other superstars and all time talent. Lebron missed the playoffs with the lakers and of course it’s not lebron. But curry misses the playoffs in his second year and people act like it invalidates his whole career.

The haters have a hard time accepting the stats, accolades and accomplishments because they can’t understand how someone without the otherworldly athletic ability could be dominating the game like he does.

Which leaves you with the above, no real argument made, just empty phrases like fluke etc

I mean you don't have to take my word for it. you'll see steph struggle to make it past the first round for the rest of his career. just watch. if your only weapon is a jump shot, that's not reliable enough to carry a team in the playoffs. steph plays great in the regular season because defenses aren't as tough and his legs stay fresh. you take away any of the other players I listed's best weapon and they can beat you in other ways.

I’m not sure what you mean. His jump shot has already carried a team to a championship. You’re basically stating he can’t do something he’s already demonstrated.

every teams best perimeter defender was injured in that run. jrue, Tony Allen, pbev. it was a fluke and he hasn't been able to replicate it without kd. name another time in history where the best player on a championship team only really had a jumper. Kobe could post up. steph has no post up game. he's not getting around people like westbrook or dwade could.

it. was. a. fluke.

again, history will prove I am right, you'll just have to wait if you don't believe.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#149 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 9:08 am

michaelm wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
michaelm wrote:They are my favourite 2 players, and while I agree with you in general KD was the guy to have to specifically combat LeBron.

Don’t disagree with any of that, indeed Curry was more important in getting GSW to those finals against LeBron/the Cavs imo as well as yours. He did address their only deficiency, as an iso option if the movement game wasn’t working/Curry’s and Klay’s shots weren’t on, particularly with Curry and Green as playmakers, and it is hard to conceive a better option to punish a team trying to double or triple team Curry.

Well we can I hope all agree KD was right, going to the warriors was the best basketball move he could do, as he said himself. But the better player was Curry. KD was effectively the role player with klay dray and curry as the system when the team was at their best. And they mixed in KD as the "system" at times to take advantage of his game with two god level shooters. Teams defended the non KD system to a fault and made the KD system overly great.

But all of this was the result of Curry being Curry. But none of that other stuff works on a thinner bench and no quality scorer option...KD just happend to be the mvp level choice vs most teams looking at a C+ guy,.
DB23
Junior

Post#150 » by DB23 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 9:10 am

bovice wrote:
DB23 wrote:
bovice wrote:
I mean you don't have to take my word for it. you'll see steph struggle to make it past the first round for the rest of his career. just watch. if your only weapon is a jump shot, that's not reliable enough to carry a team in the playoffs. steph plays great in the regular season because defenses aren't as tough and his legs stay fresh. you take away any of the other players I listed's best weapon and they can beat you in other ways.

I’m not sure what you mean. His jump shot has already carried a team to a championship. You’re basically stating he can’t do something he’s already demonstrated.

every teams best perimeter defender was injured in that run. jrue, Tony Allen, pbev. it was a fluke and he hasn't been able to replicate it without kd. name another time in history where the best player on a championship team only really had a jumper. Kobe could post up. steph has no post up game. he's not getting around people like westbrook or dwade could.

it. was. a. fluke.

again, history will prove I am right, you'll just have to wait if you don't believe.

No need to wait, he’s already done it.

As I already said, you don’t have an argument. If you wish to close your eyes then that is your choice. There is a mountain of evidence that he has won and contended without KD. With KD they were perhaps the greatest team of all time.

Steph puts the ball in the bucket at the most efficient rate of all time. He doesn’t need to post up to do it but you can keep living in the 90s if you wish.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#151 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 9:10 am

DB23 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
Robinson, Dirk and Durant were better than Curry. The rest I agree with you on.

I'll never understand this KD over Curry stuff. They played on the same team and it imo was unquestionable that Curry was better. Every metric and algorithm with them on or off the court clearly showed this and the eye test was just as clear. It's so hard to compare guys from different eras and on different teams. But we saw these two in their prime together and it wasn't questionable who was better in terms of making their team better.

I have curry edging KD.

Mainly because I think KD is a reluctant team player, preference is iso ball and it ultimately doesn’t lead to as much team success. He also seems reluctant to be really coached. It’s a shame because imo he has top 3 all time talent but these things really hold him back.

No better example than the 2016 okc - warriors series. Similar level of supporting cast and Curry got the better of him. For some reason Curry doesn’t get enough credit for that series, that okc team was stacked.

That's a lot of words for, defenses focus more on curry and make the game easier for others and curry gets that and knows how to move without the ball to help that. And he also can score when they make a hair of a mistake and he can exploit that too. Oh and he's a top 20 player just in iso maybe ever. Win win win win.....
Pantsman
Veteran
And1: 3,733

Post#152 » by Pantsman » Fri Apr 9, 2021 9:24 am

People still listen to that whiny voiced fool?
xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,370

Post#153 » by xinxin » Fri Apr 9, 2021 10:14 am

One of the most annoying media personalities ever..

I swear FS gave him a job just to annoy its audience ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#154 » by WarriorGM » Fri Apr 9, 2021 10:47 am

bovice wrote:
DB23 wrote:
bovice wrote:

it. was. a. fluke.

The inanity of this post is beyond belief. I'm losing count of the ways there are to skewer it.

Is it easier to face a team that is missing its best perimeter defender for some games but has a First Team All-NBA player? Or does a team having its best perimeter defender trump having a First Team All-NBA player? Or maybe you are going to say you'd rather have a team have its best perimeter defender than having the previous MVP and the succeeding MVP playing simultaneously? Apparently having a perimeter defender is more important for a team than having First Team All-NBAers and MVP candidates. Only Curry can cause people to go off the deep end and come up with such insane theories.

History has already proved you're wrong. After 2015 he went to the finals 4 more times. You could pick nearly any other player in NBA history and they wouldn't have as much evidence backing them up as Curry does regarding his inevitability. I could even contend LeBron's championship runs are flukier than Curry's even though he has more of them because they happened in the Eastern Conference.

History will only end up proving you right when civilization collapses and nearly all records are lost except miraculously your mad ravings.
bovice
Pro Prospect

Post#155 » by bovice » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:53 am

DB23 wrote:
bovice wrote:
DB23 wrote:

it. was. a. fluke.

As I already said, you don’t have an argument. If you wish to close your eyes then that is your choice. There is a mountain of evidence that he has won and contended without KD. With KD they were perhaps the greatest team of all time.

Steph puts the ball in the bucket at the most efficient rate of all time. He doesn’t need to post up to do it but you can keep living in the 90s if you wish.

I'll enjoy watching steph consistently be a 7th-10th seed in the west for the rest of his career :)
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#156 » by WarriorGM » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:11 pm

bovice wrote:
DB23 wrote:
bovice wrote:

it. was. a. fluke.

I'll enjoy watching steph consistently be a 7th-10th seed in the west for the rest of his career :)

The tell in your comment is that you'll still be watching him regardless.
bovice
Pro Prospect

Post#157 » by bovice » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:31 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
bovice wrote:
DB23 wrote:

I mean I watch like 10 minutes of regular season basketball a month. I'll be peeping the standings from time to time. :D
DB23
Junior

Post#158 » by DB23 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:20 pm

bovice wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
bovice wrote:

I mean I watch like 10 minutes of regular season basketball a month. I'll be peeping the standings from time to time. :D

That explains your hot takes :lol:

Enjoy.
bovice
Pro Prospect

Post#159 » by bovice » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:28 pm

DB23 wrote:
bovice wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

Enjoy.

whatever helps you sleep at night kiddo. have a good one
DB23
Junior

Post#160 » by DB23 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:43 pm

bovice wrote:
DB23 wrote:
bovice wrote:

Enjoy.

whatever helps you sleep at night kiddo. have a good one

No offense meant my friend.

Just thought it was a bit odd you seemed to have really strong opinions about something you don’t watch but each to their own.

Return to The General Board