Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy

Moderators: jamaalstar21, infinite11285, BombsquadSammy, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid

User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 48,048
And1: 54,656
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#81 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:00 am

Metallikid wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
More special pleading. He deserved awards he didn't get. :cry: He was injured so those years don't count. :cry:

You're the one arguing that Curry is transcendent. I just showed you what transcendent looks like. You want to argue Curry is the 20th-30th best player of all time and is just elite, then your argument will be a lot more reasonable.

If you want to keep going down the list of best all time players I bet I get pretty far before I find a player with a worse resume in their first five years than Stephen Curry, and that's a FACT.


no special pleading, I'm letting you how ridiculous it is to base your argument an all-star game appearances, and that despite not getting an all-star nod, he was still beasting and deserved one of the national media at the time was paying attention. it's pretty straight forward.

and Curry is transcendent, that's pretty indisputable by any bar of measure, only unanimous MVP ever, only 1 of 9 players ever to win multiple MVPs and multiple rings, the GOAT shooter, will go down as a top 15-20 player of all time...that doesn't mean he's as good as LeBron and Jordan. :lol:

i'll ask you a 3rd time...which season specifically should have done more? that's 3 times you've failed to answer...if you don't answer in your next post I'm going to assume you have nothing.


That's literally the definition of special pleading. You've been doing it this whole time.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/special-pleading

It's outcome based. It doesn't matter what excuse you want to drone on about. He didn't have good enough team success to win multiple playoff rounds and he didn't have good enough individual success to garner awards in those years.

You're the kind of guy who after Curry retires you'll never knock him for a lack of counting stats because, 'he was injured so many years.'


you said he only made 1 all-star appearance, I'm telling you it's irrelevant given he was obviously an all-star caliber player earlier than he got recognition for it...if your entire argument is based of baseless media driven awards have it, but no one is gonna take it seriously.

and thanks again for not answering the question, it's pretty obvious now that you had nothing to begin with (other than, lol, all star appearances).
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
Kobe187
Junior
Posts: 486
And1: 499
Joined: Jun 08, 2019

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#82 » by Kobe187 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:18 am

Some posters saying that Curry can’t elevate mediocre teams like Harden and company could, it’s due to his team first basketball approach. He’s not an iso player and feeds off of team play, if his team is poor his game will suffer, but if his team plays well, he will really shine and vastly improve his team. Without a doubt the greatest shooter in NBA history, he revolutionized the way the game is played, that’s transcendence.
DB23
Sophomore
Posts: 181
And1: 121
Joined: Jun 10, 2018

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#83 » by DB23 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:55 am

Metallikid wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
THE POINT IS HE DID NOTHING BEFORE THEM. WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR WARRIORS/CURRY FANS TO READ ENGLISH?

Like eight responses and nobody even cared to read what I was saying.

2009-2010: 26-56
2010-2011: 36-46
2011-2012: 23-43
2012-2013: 47-35 (1 playoff series win)
2013-2014: 51-31

That's what Curry did before he had all three of Kerr, Klay and Dray. Bupkis.


2009 - rookie
2010 - 22 years old
2011 - played in only 26 games
2012 - 47 wins and WC semis
2013 - 51 wins and a 7-game series against the Cp3/Blake/DJ Clippers
2014 - RING
2015 - 73 win season and a finals appearance
2016 - RING
2017 - RING
2018 - finals appearance and took YOUR raptors to 6 games single handedly
2019 - hurt, teams goes wins a whopping 15 games without
2020 - comes back and takes that same 15 win team to on a PO push

so your entire point is that Curry didn't do anything his first 3 years while he was battling ankle injuries the entire time while being drafted into a franchise that had been a door mop for FOUR decades?

congratulations, we're all in awe of this level of analysis. :lol:


Congratulations, you brought 2015-2020 into a conversation that was literally and explicitly about about 2010-2014.

Curry stans would be hilarious if they weren't so sad.

Take the L and move on.


You are embarrassing yourself in this thread my friend.

I think both points are clear for people to see.

Steph’s career the first few years is impressive. Sure, it’s not lebron or Jordan but I don’t think anyone is arguing that.

What myself and most curry fans object to, is being lumped in with lillard or harden (and in some cases claiming he is worse) who he has repeatedly owned over the past decade (and I love dame). With or without KD.
Metallikid
RealGM
Posts: 10,085
And1: 9,376
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#84 » by Metallikid » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:02 am

DB23 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
2009 - rookie
2010 - 22 years old
2011 - played in only 26 games
2012 - 47 wins and WC semis
2013 - 51 wins and a 7-game series against the Cp3/Blake/DJ Clippers
2014 - RING
2015 - 73 win season and a finals appearance
2016 - RING
2017 - RING
2018 - finals appearance and took YOUR raptors to 6 games single handedly
2019 - hurt, teams goes wins a whopping 15 games without
2020 - comes back and takes that same 15 win team to on a PO push

so your entire point is that Curry didn't do anything his first 3 years while he was battling ankle injuries the entire time while being drafted into a franchise that had been a door mop for FOUR decades?

congratulations, we're all in awe of this level of analysis. :lol:


Congratulations, you brought 2015-2020 into a conversation that was literally and explicitly about about 2010-2014.

Curry stans would be hilarious if they weren't so sad.

Take the L and move on.


You are embarrassing yourself in this thread my friend.

I think both points are clear for people to see.

Steph’s career the first few years is impressive. Sure, it’s not lebron or Jordan but I don’t think anyone is arguing that.

What myself and most curry fans object to, is being lumped in with lillard or harden (and in some cases claiming he is worse) who he has repeatedly owned over the past decade (and I love dame). With or without KD.


No I've had a pretty solid case the whole way. Steph's great, no doubt, but he's not what you guys make him out to be.
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *
User avatar
baldur
Head Coach
Posts: 7,367
And1: 8,299
Joined: Jul 12, 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
     

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#85 » by baldur » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:39 am

The guy changed the basketball dramatically. That's phenomenal and remarkable enough.
Dutchball97
Starter
Posts: 2,166
And1: 1,882
Joined: Mar 28, 2020
 

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#86 » by Dutchball97 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:50 am

Metallikid wrote:
DB23 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Congratulations, you brought 2015-2020 into a conversation that was literally and explicitly about about 2010-2014.

Curry stans would be hilarious if they weren't so sad.

Take the L and move on.


You are embarrassing yourself in this thread my friend.

I think both points are clear for people to see.

Steph’s career the first few years is impressive. Sure, it’s not lebron or Jordan but I don’t think anyone is arguing that.

What myself and most curry fans object to, is being lumped in with lillard or harden (and in some cases claiming he is worse) who he has repeatedly owned over the past decade (and I love dame). With or without KD.


No I've had a pretty solid case the whole way. Steph's great, no doubt, but he's not what you guys make him out to be.


You're getting into online screaming matches because others here don't share the same unreasonable hate for Curry as you have. It is honestly pretty embarrassing.
Metallikid
RealGM
Posts: 10,085
And1: 9,376
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#87 » by Metallikid » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:55 am

Dutchball97 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
DB23 wrote:
You are embarrassing yourself in this thread my friend.

I think both points are clear for people to see.

Steph’s career the first few years is impressive. Sure, it’s not lebron or Jordan but I don’t think anyone is arguing that.

What myself and most curry fans object to, is being lumped in with lillard or harden (and in some cases claiming he is worse) who he has repeatedly owned over the past decade (and I love dame). With or without KD.


No I've had a pretty solid case the whole way. Steph's great, no doubt, but he's not what you guys make him out to be.


You're getting into online screaming matches because others here don't share the same unreasonable hate for Curry as you have. It is honestly pretty embarrassing.


Like seven or eight people reflexively responded to things I didn't even say because they were so defensive about Curry being criticized, but you can think what you like. I'll take objective results.
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *
Dutchball97
Starter
Posts: 2,166
And1: 1,882
Joined: Mar 28, 2020
 

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#88 » by Dutchball97 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:00 am

Metallikid wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
No I've had a pretty solid case the whole way. Steph's great, no doubt, but he's not what you guys make him out to be.


You're getting into online screaming matches because others here don't share the same unreasonable hate for Curry as you have. It is honestly pretty embarrassing.


Like seven or eight people reflexively responded to things I didn't even say because they were so defensive about Curry being criticized, but you can think what you like. I'll take objective results.


At some point when everyone is going against you on something it might be time to realize maybe you're not the one genius in a sea of idiots.

You keep going on about how Curry wasn't a star right away and how you think he wouldn't have won in 17 and 18 without KD. Why? Are you so insecure about others not evaluating players exactly the same as you?
User avatar
lonzo_pelota
Analyst
Posts: 3,468
And1: 4,668
Joined: Jul 28, 2017
   

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#89 » by lonzo_pelota » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:11 am

rob parker is the mascot for cornballs
brutalitops
Analyst
Posts: 3,474
And1: 4,177
Joined: Feb 20, 2014
Location: Perth, Australia
     

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#90 » by brutalitops » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:16 am

Rob Parker should stick to making bad NFL comments, rather then horrific NBA ones
bovice
Junior
Posts: 288
And1: 339
Joined: Oct 26, 2012

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#91 » by bovice » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:39 am

people conflate influence with greatness.

curry is more influential than a lot of players that are actually better than him. harden, kd, cp3, kawhi are better #1 options than curry but curry has influenced the style of play more than them. been saying this.
Metallikid
RealGM
Posts: 10,085
And1: 9,376
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#92 » by Metallikid » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:56 am

Dutchball97 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:
You're getting into online screaming matches because others here don't share the same unreasonable hate for Curry as you have. It is honestly pretty embarrassing.


Like seven or eight people reflexively responded to things I didn't even say because they were so defensive about Curry being criticized, but you can think what you like. I'll take objective results.


At some point when everyone is going against you on something it might be time to realize maybe you're not the one genius in a sea of idiots.

You keep going on about how Curry wasn't a star right away and how you think he wouldn't have won in 17 and 18 without KD. Why? Are you so insecure about others not evaluating players exactly the same as you?


If I had once believed that I sure as hell don't anymore.

I never actually said he wouldn't have won in 17 and 18, again, if you have to put words in my mouth are you really making that great an argument?

They absolutely had a chance those years, but without KD I feel like the odds are most likely that they split 17 and 18 but that's just the most likely scenario, not the only one.

He wasn't a star off the bat, that really hurts his case for being a top 20 player all time. I don't know what transcendent means to you in these terms.
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *
JN61
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,555
And1: 3,547
Joined: Jan 07, 2018
 

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#93 » by JN61 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:06 am

clyde21 wrote:
JN61 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:lol, Steph continues to be one of the most underrated superstars ever, it's insane how much hate he gets despite everything he's done with or without top tier talent, it's ridiculous. dude carried a sorry franchise on his back before Kerr, before KD, before Dray and Klay. gtfo ROB.

He has done nothing without top tier talent. And when he has it other people in his own team have outplayed him on the highest stage. This year going to fight for the playoff spot without top 5 supporting cast.


lol, he led a **** Mark Jackson team to 51 wins on own, and took what was super team lob city to 7 games in the playoffs, also on his own. a lot of revisionist history going in your posts in the Curry threads, I'm noticing.

So he did nothing.
Dutchball97
Starter
Posts: 2,166
And1: 1,882
Joined: Mar 28, 2020
 

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#94 » by Dutchball97 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:12 am

Metallikid wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Like seven or eight people reflexively responded to things I didn't even say because they were so defensive about Curry being criticized, but you can think what you like. I'll take objective results.


At some point when everyone is going against you on something it might be time to realize maybe you're not the one genius in a sea of idiots.

You keep going on about how Curry wasn't a star right away and how you think he wouldn't have won in 17 and 18 without KD. Why? Are you so insecure about others not evaluating players exactly the same as you?


If I had once believed that I sure as hell don't anymore.

I never actually said he wouldn't have won in 17 and 18, again, if you have to put words in my mouth are you really making that great an argument?

They absolutely had a chance those years, but without KD I feel like the odds are most likely that they split 17 and 18 but that's just the most likely scenario, not the only one.

He wasn't a star off the bat, that really hurts his case for being a top 20 player all time. I don't know what transcendent means to you in these terms.


Curry was a good player right away but I agree it took a couple seasons for him to become a star. I'd say the 12/13 season was his first real star level season when he had 23/4/7/2 along with 11.2 WS and 5.6 VORP. He didn't make the All-Star game untill the next year but it'd be arbitrary to cut off a really good season along those lines.

I'm just unsure why you're so keen to disqualify Curry from the All-Time discussion based on this. Is Giannis going to be unable to become top 20 ever no matter what else he does in his career as well? What about Kawhi? Nash wasn't even that good untill his late 20s and he's still in the conversation for top 20 despite not even coming close to what Curry achieved in his career. Bird was 23 in his rookie season and is universally seen as top 10, yet Curry can't even make top 20 because he was 24 in his first good season? Karl Malone made his first All-Star game at 24 but you could even argue he didn't really become a high level player untill the next season and once again you're looking at a guy that's universally seen as a top 20 player.

Transcendent to me doesn't mean that you have to be an MVP candidate at 18 years old, to me it means that you played at an elite level for a substantial amount of years.
LouisLitt
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,687
And1: 2,953
Joined: Jul 12, 2014
     

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#95 » by LouisLitt » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:40 am

Never thought I'd partially agree with Rob Parker, but here I am.
DB23
Sophomore
Posts: 181
And1: 121
Joined: Jun 10, 2018

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#96 » by DB23 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:46 am

Metallikid wrote:
DB23 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Congratulations, you brought 2015-2020 into a conversation that was literally and explicitly about about 2010-2014.

Curry stans would be hilarious if they weren't so sad.

Take the L and move on.


You are embarrassing yourself in this thread my friend.

I think both points are clear for people to see.

Steph’s career the first few years is impressive. Sure, it’s not lebron or Jordan but I don’t think anyone is arguing that.

What myself and most curry fans object to, is being lumped in with lillard or harden (and in some cases claiming he is worse) who he has repeatedly owned over the past decade (and I love dame). With or without KD.


No I've had a pretty solid case the whole way. Steph's great, no doubt, but he's not what you guys make him out to be.


Which to me is a top 15 all time guy and 2nd best pg all time. If he wins another ring then he’s in the top 10 imo.

So how far off are we?

I have no problem saying he isn’t as good as lebron or Jordan although you could say he’s had just as big an impact on the game.
nfmos
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,558
And1: 2,014
Joined: Jan 13, 2005
       

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#97 » by nfmos » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:56 am

It seems like everyone is forgetting that when Steph got to the team, it was Monta’s team and Monta pretty much was against the pairing from the start and led Steph in usage and fg attempts the first 3 years. The team never was Curry’s until they traded Monta to establish this as Steph’s team once and for all. Also, Curry had lots of ankle injuries and had to have ankle surgeries at the end of his second and third seasons, so it wasn’t like he was at his strongest yet. The fourth year when it was finally his team, they won 47, beat the Nuggets and put a little scare in the Spurs even tho Steph reinjured his ankle in that series, and we kind of went from there.

It’s a pretty dumb argument to hold Curry’s first few years against him without looking at context.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
User avatar
Optms
RealGM
Posts: 18,110
And1: 12,305
Joined: Jun 11, 2009
 

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#98 » by Optms » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:15 am

bovice wrote:people conflate influence with greatness.

curry is more influential than a lot of players that are actually better than him. harden, kd, cp3, kawhi are better #1 options than curry but curry has influenced the style of play more than them. been saying this.


What nonsense rambling is this?

Curry holds multiple 3 point records and will continue to set many more. He has completely shattered any arguments any and all arguments any player as the best shooer. His greatness was so apparent people were calling him the greatest shooter - And this came BEFORE his historical season in 2016, in which he was voted the MVP by unanimous votes on route to leading a team to 73 wins, eclipsing the legendary Bulls record.

Not any the players you named has ever reached the level of greatness Curry did as a primary option, much less win multiple MVP awards. Try again.
bovice
Junior
Posts: 288
And1: 339
Joined: Oct 26, 2012

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#99 » by bovice » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:22 am

Optms wrote:
bovice wrote:people conflate influence with greatness.

curry is more influential than a lot of players that are actually better than him. harden, kd, cp3, kawhi are better #1 options than curry but curry has influenced the style of play more than them. been saying this.


What nonsense rambling is this?

Curry holds multiple 3 point records and will continue to set many more. He has completely shattered any arguments any and all arguments any player as the best shooer. His greatness was so apparent people were calling him the greatest shooter - And this came BEFORE his historical season in 2016, in which he was voted the MVP by unanimous votes on route to leading a team to 73 wins, eclipsing the legendary Bulls record.

Not any the players you named has ever reached the level of greatness Curry did as a primary option, much less win multiple MVP awards. Try again.


you don't understand basketball and I don't care to explain it. curry's style of play isn't an imposing one. he fluked his way to his first ring because everyone else was injured and kd carried him the other 2 times. those teams were not beating Lebron without kd. stop posting with emotion, my argument is a logical one.
User avatar
Optms
RealGM
Posts: 18,110
And1: 12,305
Joined: Jun 11, 2009
 

Re: Rob Parker: Curry NOT a transcendent player, NOT that guy 

Post#100 » by Optms » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:26 am

bovice wrote:
Optms wrote:
bovice wrote:people conflate influence with greatness.

curry is more influential than a lot of players that are actually better than him. harden, kd, cp3, kawhi are better #1 options than curry but curry has influenced the style of play more than them. been saying this.


What nonsense rambling is this?

Curry holds multiple 3 point records and will continue to set many more. He has completely shattered any arguments any and all arguments any player as the best shooer. His greatness was so apparent people were calling him the greatest shooter - And this came BEFORE his historical season in 2016, in which he was voted the MVP by unanimous votes on route to leading a team to 73 wins, eclipsing the legendary Bulls record.

Not any the players you named has ever reached the level of greatness Curry did as a primary option, much less win multiple MVP awards. Try again.


you don't understand basketball and I don't care to explain it. curry's style of play isn't an imposing one. he fluked his way to his first ring because everyone else was injured and kd carried him the other 2 times. those teams were not beating Lebron without kd. stop posting with emotion, my argument is a logical one.


No, it's you who doesn't understand basketball. How in the hell does someone "fluke" there way to a ring? Let me guess, he also fluked his way to back-to-back MVPs too? :crazy:

Return to The General Board