Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career?

Moderators: jamaalstar21, infinite11285, BombsquadSammy, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid

spanishninja
Veteran
Posts: 2,599
And1: 1,651
Joined: Jan 07, 2014
 

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#41 » by spanishninja » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:36 am

Those Clipper teams didnt play enough defense. These Suns are serious about defense.
DirtyDez wrote:
Lost92Bricks wrote:This team is easily better than any of the Clippers teams.


The 13-14’ Clippers were 2nd in Net and SRS despite Paul missing games. They lost to the KD-Russ Thunder.


Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
spanishninja
Veteran
Posts: 2,599
And1: 1,651
Joined: Jan 07, 2014
 

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#42 » by spanishninja » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:38 am

Uh, my guy, Crowder was in the FINALS last year and even Torrey Craig was in the WCF against the Lakers.
dygaction wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
dygaction wrote:
They could be but I don't think any team is afraid of meeting them the first round.

I think most teams wouldn't want to meet them in the first round. This isn't the Suns of 2 seasons ago.

vs. Teams Over .500 19 6 76.0


Trust me, when you can choose among healthy Lakers, Nuggets, Jazz, Clippers, and Suns, the choice is simple. A 6'0, 35 yr old, injury prone CP3 is the only player on the team with mention-worthy playoff experience.


Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Dupp
RealGM
Posts: 108,154
And1: 61,341
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Jay Z’s lap
 

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#43 » by Dupp » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:38 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
Dupp wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Being deeper than 8-9 is worthless in the playoffs.



Not necessary. But being deeper also doesn’t mean better. It just depends. Teams like 11 Dallas, 14 spurs went pretty deep into their rotation. Maybe 16 warriors too? Sure there’s heaps.


Generally 8-9 is normal but if you have the talent I don’t think it’s worthless.


Warriors went 8 deep in 2016 with in guys missing games a few guys like Clark, Ezeili and Speights got some time on the court. I'm not really sure that was all that needed though.

14 spurs went 9 unless you count the random minutes bonner got.

11 mavs went 9 deep and really that was it. Not really anyone else to consider.

But yeah, you're not wrong that it's nice to have more depth but in terms of actual impact, it's really not needed without injuries or if you had some realize nicely specialized players (what we used to call role players).



I’m almost certain mavs went 10 or 11 deep. Meaning all those guys made an impact in one playoff series. Obviously the finals the rotation tightened.

Guess I was wrong about the other too. They were more guesses though.

It just doesn’t happen much because it’s hard to have that many contributors on a good team salary wise and having ok players being ok with not getting a huge role.
Neato wrote:I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone for being a neato
User avatar
Mrakar
Junior
Posts: 496
And1: 302
Joined: Sep 01, 2010

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#44 » by Mrakar » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:50 am

That 2018 Rockets team should have championship so you have to go with them if you count overall talent.
This Suns team is deep but they lack playoff expirience and that will show in playoffs, wait for it.
User avatar
Mister Ze
RealGM
Posts: 12,217
And1: 21,600
Joined: Jul 01, 2011
 

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#45 » by Mister Ze » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:04 am

Let's see how good Booker and Ayton perform in the playoffs. I think they could get to the semis at least.

The Suns will likely play the Lakers/Clippers in the 2nd round the way the standings look, if they get past them then the argument is certainly there.
SunsLyf3
Senior
Posts: 612
And1: 438
Joined: Jan 27, 2019
     

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#46 » by SunsLyf3 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:11 am

spanishninja wrote:Uh, my guy, Crowder was in the FINALS last year and even Torrey Craig was in the WCF against the Lakers.
dygaction wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:I think most teams wouldn't want to meet them in the first round. This isn't the Suns of 2 seasons ago.

vs. Teams Over .500 19 6 76.0


Trust me, when you can choose among healthy Lakers, Nuggets, Jazz, Clippers, and Suns, the choice is simple. A 6'0, 35 yr old, injury prone CP3 is the only player on the team with mention-worthy playoff experience.


Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app

Saric had a nice 10 game run in the post season with the 6ers before being shipped to Minny. Was averagin 32 mpg, 17 ppg, 7 rpg, 3apg and 38% from 3.
SunsLyf3
Senior
Posts: 612
And1: 438
Joined: Jan 27, 2019
     

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#47 » by SunsLyf3 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:13 am

Metallikid wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Doesn't mean a single thing for players like Booker and Ayton who have never played a playoff game let alone a Game 7 of the second round or a conference finals game.

It does for players like Craig, Saric, Crowder and CP3 who are key rotation players(cp3 a star) and have experienced lengthy runs before.


Yes, it does, but when two of your best three have not been seasoned at all yet, you have no chance of winning the title. And I mean none. I don't even think they have a 10% chance to make the WCF. I would put more trust in the Blazers.


Yeah and Chris Paul is old and the best the Suns will do is a play in game. Heard it before.
dygaction
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,466
And1: 710
Joined: Sep 20, 2015
 

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#48 » by dygaction » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:26 am

spanishninja wrote:Uh, my guy, Crowder was in the FINALS last year and even Torrey Craig was in the WCF against the Lakers.
dygaction wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:I think most teams wouldn't want to meet them in the first round. This isn't the Suns of 2 seasons ago.

vs. Teams Over .500 19 6 76.0


Trust me, when you can choose among healthy Lakers, Nuggets, Jazz, Clippers, and Suns, the choice is simple. A 6'0, 35 yr old, injury prone CP3 is the only player on the team with mention-worthy playoff experience.


Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app


Good catch Crowder. If Torrey Craig is the third person to mention, it is not a good sign :D ...
Lost92Bricks
Starter
Posts: 2,149
And1: 2,048
Joined: Jul 16, 2013

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#49 » by Lost92Bricks » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:30 am

DirtyDez wrote:The 13-14’ Clippers were 2nd in Net and SRS despite Paul missing games. They lost to the KD-Russ Thunder.

Clippers had no volume scorer, no defenders, below average bench.
benson13
Pro Prospect
Posts: 760
And1: 692
Joined: Feb 01, 2017
     

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#50 » by benson13 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:30 am

Best supporting cast for CP3? Maybe. If you discount 2018 when he was part of a supporting cast.
User avatar
Dr Aki
RealGM
Posts: 30,188
And1: 19,989
Joined: Mar 03, 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
   

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#51 » by Dr Aki » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:32 am

No, and I doubt they get as far as 2018 Houston
Image
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 25,291
And1: 11,028
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#52 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:52 am

Dupp wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Dupp wrote:

Not necessary. But being deeper also doesn’t mean better. It just depends. Teams like 11 Dallas, 14 spurs went pretty deep into their rotation. Maybe 16 warriors too? Sure there’s heaps.


Generally 8-9 is normal but if you have the talent I don’t think it’s worthless.


Warriors went 8 deep in 2016 with in guys missing games a few guys like Clark, Ezeili and Speights got some time on the court. I'm not really sure that was all that needed though.

14 spurs went 9 unless you count the random minutes bonner got.

11 mavs went 9 deep and really that was it. Not really anyone else to consider.

But yeah, you're not wrong that it's nice to have more depth but in terms of actual impact, it's really not needed without injuries or if you had some realize nicely specialized players (what we used to call role players).



I’m almost certain mavs went 10 or 11 deep. Meaning all those guys made an impact in one playoff series. Obviously the finals the rotation tightened.

Guess I was wrong about the other too. They were more guesses though.

It just doesn’t happen much because it’s hard to have that many contributors on a good team salary wise and having ok players being ok with not getting a huge role.


Mavs played 12 guys in the playoffs that year period.

Hayword played 18 of 21 games and 15.3 minutes, so we could count him as the 9th man.

Ian Mahinmi - 6 games 5.5 minutes per game

Brian Cardinal - 9 games 6.1 per game

Corey Brewer - 6 games 3.8 per game

Those are your other 3 guys who played at all. 10 deep? What? I guess brewer had one good game and it was in a tough series vs the lakers? But that's kinda stretching it isn't it?
Dutchball97
Starter
Posts: 2,166
And1: 1,882
Joined: Mar 28, 2020
 

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#53 » by Dutchball97 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:56 am

I don't think Booker and Ayton are as good as advertised.
Metallikid
RealGM
Posts: 10,085
And1: 9,376
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#54 » by Metallikid » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:57 am

SunsLyf3 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:It does for players like Craig, Saric, Crowder and CP3 who are key rotation players(cp3 a star) and have experienced lengthy runs before.


Yes, it does, but when two of your best three have not been seasoned at all yet, you have no chance of winning the title. And I mean none. I don't even think they have a 10% chance to make the WCF. I would put more trust in the Blazers.


Yeah and Chris Paul is old and the best the Suns will do is a play in game. Heard it before.


I didn't say that. They could make the second round. They could make it a series. But they're not winning the title.
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 25,291
And1: 11,028
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#55 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:57 am

SunsLyf3 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:It does for players like Craig, Saric, Crowder and CP3 who are key rotation players(cp3 a star) and have experienced lengthy runs before.


Yes, it does, but when two of your best three have not been seasoned at all yet, you have no chance of winning the title. And I mean none. I don't even think they have a 10% chance to make the WCF. I would put more trust in the Blazers.


Yeah and Chris Paul is old and the best the Suns will do is a play in game. Heard it before.


There are as many of us rooting for Chris Paul to succeed as there are those that for some reason dislike him. I think you're getting defensive for no reason. This team doesn't on paper look like the right kind of team to do well in the playoffs. We'll get to see the actual results soon enough.
User avatar
Dupp
RealGM
Posts: 108,154
And1: 61,341
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Jay Z’s lap
 

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#56 » by Dupp » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:02 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
Dupp wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Warriors went 8 deep in 2016 with in guys missing games a few guys like Clark, Ezeili and Speights got some time on the court. I'm not really sure that was all that needed though.

14 spurs went 9 unless you count the random minutes bonner got.

11 mavs went 9 deep and really that was it. Not really anyone else to consider.

But yeah, you're not wrong that it's nice to have more depth but in terms of actual impact, it's really not needed without injuries or if you had some realize nicely specialized players (what we used to call role players).



I’m almost certain mavs went 10 or 11 deep. Meaning all those guys made an impact in one playoff series. Obviously the finals the rotation tightened.

Guess I was wrong about the other too. They were more guesses though.

It just doesn’t happen much because it’s hard to have that many contributors on a good team salary wise and having ok players being ok with not getting a huge role.


Mavs played 12 guys in the playoffs that year period.

Hayword played 18 of 21 games and 15.3 minutes, so we could count him as the 9th man.

Ian Mahinmi - 6 games 5.5 minutes per game

Brian Cardinal - 9 games 6.1 per game

Corey Brewer - 6 games 3.8 per game

Those are your other 3 guys who played at all. 10 deep? What? I guess brewer had one good game and it was in a tough series vs the lakers? But that's kinda stretching it isn't it?


Hayword definitely was a very valuable backup.



Th other guy i was thinking of was Cardinal i think. Thought he had a good series but maybe it was just a good game or two that stuck in my mind. Ah well.
Neato wrote:I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone for being a neato
DCasey91
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,377
And1: 677
Joined: Dec 15, 2020
   

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#57 » by DCasey91 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:10 am

Rockets had a huge top end (Harden)

But for me the Suns are arguably the most balanced team in the NBA all are above average to elite in their starting positions. Good depth too

It’s a very well constructed team (how did the Suns manage that? they were the laughing stock of the NBA like two seasons ago lol). Sports goes quick.

Surely the Wolves can use this blueprint to some sort of success.

The West is stacked to the hills, whoever gets out I’m rating their playoff run very very highly.
I mean if Doncic overperforms here it’s super duper impressive imo.


Jazz
Suns
Clippers
Nuggets
Blazers
Lakers
Trail Blazers
Mavs

All healthy (Nurk, Cj, Ad, LBJ, Zingis doesn’t breakdown again all back) that top 7 there’s no freebies there at all. Playoffs are going to be wild
User avatar
lars_rosenberg
Analyst
Posts: 3,134
And1: 2,629
Joined: Aug 15, 2014
 

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#58 » by lars_rosenberg » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:55 am

I would say it's the second best after the first Rockets year. This Phoenix team is very deep, but overall talent was better with Harden and Capela. Also CP was younger.
Phoenix is a really impressive team this season, but I doubt they'll make it to the finals: it would be the first playoff run for basically everybody in the team except for CP3 and inexperience will bite them when they face seasoned teams like the Lakers, the Nuggets or even Utah.
jsierra1985
Junior
Posts: 409
And1: 475
Joined: Nov 07, 2017
     

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#59 » by jsierra1985 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:20 am

Optms wrote:
Lost92Bricks wrote:This team is easily better than any of the Clippers teams.


Those Cippers team were second round fodder. This Suns team looks like first round fodder. If there was an overachieving award, they'd get it handedly.



These are my favorite comments.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
Posts: 37,767
And1: 17,489
Joined: Jun 23, 2004
Location: NBA Fan
 

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#60 » by og15 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:08 pm

17-18 Rockets would be the contender here, but compared to New Orleans and LAC, easily and not even close.

Clippers always had holes on the wing and quality bench players. The Hornets were not deep at all, their best season, Janero Pargo was their 6th man.

If he was like 28-30 right now, it would be more interesting, but as well as he's playing, he still doesn't have the same level as even just three years ago.

Return to The General Board