OKC is a disgrace

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

OKC is a disgrace 

Post#1 » by baldur » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:57 am

What kind of roster is that today?
Might as well not play the game at all?
How the hell are the 70 percent of the squad injured? I thought medical technologies have advanced?
Plus, how the hell are the broadcast companies paying billions of dollars for this kind of product?

Please discuss.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

Re: OKC is a disgrace 

Post#2 » by sashaturiaf » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:02 am

Welcome to the analytics/teamup era. Embrace it

Titles are won on phones and spreadsheets instead of the court
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,813

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:03 am

sashaturiaf wrote:Welcome to the analytics/teamup era. Embrace it

This is classic tanking and its been going on a long time. Blaming this on analytics or players finally gaining some power is rich. And wrong.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MINDKCUF
Senior
And1: 577

Post#4 » by MINDKCUF » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:08 am

okc tankers is the newest g-league team.
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#5 » by sashaturiaf » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:09 am

Texas Chuck wrote:

This is classic tanking and its been going on a long time. Blaming this on analytics or players finally gaining some power is rich. And wrong.

And what is the cause of blatant tanking. It's the advent of superteams that leaves the middle of the pack literally helpless. In that it is worse to be a 8 seed than the worst team in the league.

Hinkies and Prestis didn't exist in the 90s when more than 1-2 teams felt like they had a shot at a title
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#6 » by The_Hater » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:11 am

baldur wrote:What kind of roster is that today?
How the hell are the 70 percent of the squad injured? I thought medical technologies have advanced?
Plus, how the hell are the broadcast companies paying billions of dollars for this kind of product?

Please discuss.

Well they’ve also played well over their heads all season, I know about 18-25 other teams who can’t say that. They were picked by most to be one of the 2 worst teams im the league this season and right now they’re only 7th worst.

So while they play their young players to close out the season and have actually won games with them recently, I’m not sure I would call them a disgrace.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,813

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:12 am

sashaturiaf wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

And what is the cause of blatant tanking. It's the advent of superteams that leaves the middle of the pack literally helpless. In that it is worse to be a 8 seed than the worst team in the league.

Hinkies and Prestis didn't exist in the 90s when more than 1-2 teams felt like they had a shot at a title

Guess how San Antonio got David Robinson? It was the tank of all tanks.

It's okay to not be a historian of the game and to have only started following it recently. But please trust me that this didn't start with Hinkie. Not even close.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,592

Post#8 » by Son Goku 25 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:13 am

They are blatantly tanking, I hope NBA doesn't reward them.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#9 » by Black Mage » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:14 am

baldur wrote:What kind of roster is that today?

Please discuss.

I wouldn't throw stones too much. Your Lakers tanked just as hard and had just as bad win/loss as the Hinkie Sixers all so Lakers wouldn't lose a high pick which was owned by the Sixers. That tanking got the Lakers the assets to land AD.
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#10 » by sashaturiaf » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:14 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Guess how San Antonio got David Robinson? It was the tank of all tanks.

It's okay to not be a historian of the game and to have only started following it recently. But please trust me that this didn't start with Hinkie. Not even close.

You mean Tim Duncan right?that was a one time opportunistic tank since their franchise player got injured for the year.

Show me a 90s team that actively fielded the worst teams they can before the season even started, and stockpiled picks like Presti and Hinkie did

Lol at you chuck lecturing me about the history.of the game when you cant even get Robinson/Duncan right
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#11 » by The Moose » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:14 am

lol i was looking at their lineup the other day. In their 8 man rotation they play:
3 undrafted rookies and 1 undrafted player
2 2nd round picks
2 late first round picks who already were dropped by their draft team

has to be one of the rotations in the past 5 years
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#12 » by Black Mage » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:15 am

Son Goku 25 wrote:They are blatantly tanking, I hope NBA doesn't reward them.

Doubt you felt that way when the Lakers kept tanking and "magically" staying in the top 3 of the lottery so your pick didn't convey to the SIxers.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#13 » by MemphisX » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:18 am

sashaturiaf wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

What are you talking about? The amount of contenders has not changed in the NBA over the past 40 years. What Okc is doing is an affront to the league. Much worse than The Process. The Process was a team collecting picks, having a roster full of young guys and talent with legit injuries. The Thunder had a competitive team and decided to sit everyone.

I do not want to hear one person crying for Okc when SGA forces his way out of there at any time. Imagine if the Mavericks just sat Luka, KP and a couple of other starters all season just so they can draft a star to go with Luka.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#14 » by VDT » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:18 am

Presti is not an idiot. He knows that the higher the pick, the less time (on average) he will spent being a lottery team and the more likely he is to keep his job. If anything he should have done it earlier.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,245

Post#15 » by Statlanta » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:20 am

OKC actually tried to win most of the season and put a respectable product. The real disgrace is Houston
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#16 » by LakersSoul » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:21 am

Penalty for deliberate tanking would be justified and beautiful.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,442

Post#17 » by Big J » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:21 am

The stockpiling OKC is doing bothers me. They could easily cash a bunch of them in for a low end star and a couple of veteran role players and maybe make some noise in the playoffs. Instead they are taking the losers path and tanking for even more picks.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#18 » by Dupp » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:22 am

MemphisX wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

What are you talking about? The amount of contenders has not changed in the NBA over the past 40 years. What Okc is doing is an affront to the league. Much worse than The Process. The Process was a team collecting picks, having a roster full of young guys and talent with legit injuries. The Thunder had a competitive team and decided to sit everyone.

I do not want to hear one person crying for Okc when SGA forces his way out of there at any time. Imagine if the Mavericks just sat Luka, KP and a couple of other starters all season just so they can draft a star to go with Luka.

Yeah literally every year for ever there’s only like 2-4 contenders.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#19 » by Leslie Forman » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:22 am

You're right.

They should be in goddamn Seattle.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,240

Post#20 » by rapstarter » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:23 am

I guess it's easier to play a lineup like that when there's no crowd. That's not even an NBA squad.

Return to The General Board