OKC is a disgrace

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,798

Re: OKC is a disgrace 

Post#341 » by XtremeDunkz » Tue May 11, 2021 8:11 pm

ciueli wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:
ciueli wrote:
The problem is that OKC following the same process that Philadelphia did in order to get multiple stars via the draft. It makes a mockery of the competitive spirit of the league, it makes the sport unwatchable when there a team decides it's not even going to try to win games. If you don't understand why this is detrimental to the league and the sport as a whole, it's just willful ignorance on your part.

No need to get personal. Reasonable people can disagree about tanking.

The way I see it is that OKC is giving up 2-3 years of competitiveness in exchange for 7-10 years of competitiveness. That was the story the first time around. And I don't see anything wrong with that.

Look at teams like CLE, MIN, SAC, ORL. Are those really better alternatives? Not to me.

The thing you're not factoring in is the impact on the league as a whole. Maybe you don't care about your team losing tons of games for 3+ years, but fans of other teams have to watch their team play your team. It's bad enough when one team does it, can you imagine how unwatchable the NBA would become if more than about 2-3 teams were doing the same thing simultaneously?

In the NBA there is something of a gentleman's agreement that teams won't do this, that every year each team will do its best to be competitive, at least until it's clear that the playoffs are out of reach due to injury, player regression, poor coaching, or lack of talent. You can argue that it's in a single team's best interest to implement an intentional multi-year tank job (I think even that is debatable because it's a path that fraught with randomness) but it will never be in the best interests of the league as a whole which is why there were a lot of unhappy owners the last time a team resorted to it (the "Process" 76ers).
Lol okay. Whats better for the NBA ratings? The Embiid/Simmons 76ers? Or 12 years of the Andre Miller/Andre Iguadala 76ers? 3 years of calculated tanking made the franchise infinitely more marketable for the league than they've ever been since that 2001 run. Stop it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
IronflagNZ
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#342 » by IronflagNZ » Tue May 11, 2021 8:20 pm

People need to realise that its more than just obtaining best draft pick with a tank these days.

Giving a bunch of g-leaguers and young guys playing time and see what they can unearth is another part of it. Look at the gems Philly uncovered during their tank... Covington, Wood, McConnell, Grant - all guys that might not have had an opportunity at all if Philly didn't give them time.

We are seeing this with guys like Kenrich Williams and Ty Jerome, even Mo Brown looked like poor mans Wilt for a split second :lol:
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,281

Post#343 » by ciueli » Tue May 11, 2021 8:26 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:
ciueli wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:No need to get personal. Reasonable people can disagree about tanking.

The way I see it is that OKC is giving up 2-3 years of competitiveness in exchange for 7-10 years of competitiveness. That was the story the first time around. And I don't see anything wrong with that.

Look at teams like CLE, MIN, SAC, ORL. Are those really better alternatives? Not to me.

The thing you're not factoring in is the impact on the league as a whole. Maybe you don't care about your team losing tons of games for 3+ years, but fans of other teams have to watch their team play your team. It's bad enough when one team does it, can you imagine how unwatchable the NBA would become if more than about 2-3 teams were doing the same thing simultaneously?

In the NBA there is something of a gentleman's agreement that teams won't do this, that every year each team will do its best to be competitive, at least until it's clear that the playoffs are out of reach due to injury, player regression, poor coaching, or lack of talent. You can argue that it's in a single team's best interest to implement an intentional multi-year tank job (I think even that is debatable because it's a path that fraught with randomness) but it will never be in the best interests of the league as a whole which is why there were a lot of unhappy owners the last time a team resorted to it (the "Process" 76ers).
Lol okay. Whats better for the NBA ratings? The Embiid/Simmons 76ers? Or 12 years of the Andre Miller/Andre Iguadala 76ers? 3 years of calculated tanking made the franchise infinitely more marketable for the league than they've ever been since that 2001 run. Stop it.

Yes, they made your franchise more marketable eventually, but not the NBA as a whole. For every team that gets multiple perennial All-Stars in the draft, there's another franchise that doesn't get an All-Star, and in order to accomplish this your franchise went through 4 years of being garbage, including a 10 win season. It shouldn't be surprising that I don't want to see a repeat of this with the OKC Thunder over the next 4 years.

And if we're talking about the 76ers specifically, in 2011-2012 your team had the following players on roster:
Andre Iguodala
Nikola Vučević
Lou Williams
Thaddeus Young
Jrue Holiday

That's a pretty good collection of talent had those players been kept over the course of a decade or so, that would even be a decent team now. It's not like your team would have been mediocre for a decade with those guys as the core.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,798

Post#344 » by XtremeDunkz » Tue May 11, 2021 8:37 pm

ciueli wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:
ciueli wrote:

Yes, they made your franchise more marketable eventually, but not the NBA as a whole. For every team that gets multiple perennial All-Stars in the draft, there's another franchise that doesn't get an All-Star, and in order to accomplish this your franchise went through 4 years of being garbage, including a 10 win season. It shouldn't be surprising that I don't want to see a repeat of this with the OKC Thunder over the next 4 years.

And if we're talking about the 76ers specifically, in 2011-2012 your team had the following players on roster:
Andre Iguodala
Nikola Vučević
Lou Williams
Thaddeus Young
Jrue Holiday

That's a pretty good collection of talent had those players been kept over the course of a decade or so, that would even be a decent team now. It's not like your team would have been mediocre for a decade with those guys as the core.

Bruh.... I'm done lol. This doesn't even deserve a response.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
ciueli
Analyst

Post#345 » by ciueli » Tue May 11, 2021 8:48 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:
ciueli wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:Lol okay. Whats better for the NBA ratings? The Embiid/Simmons 76ers? Or 12 years of the Andre Miller/Andre Iguadala 76ers? 3 years of calculated tanking made the franchise infinitely more marketable for the league than they've ever been since that 2001 run. Stop it.

Andre Iguodala
Nikola Vučević
Lou Williams
Thaddeus Young
Jrue Holiday

Sure, I get it - like all fans you're incredibly selfish and don't care if the league has to suffer a half-decade of your team being unwatchable if it increases your chances of getting stars in the draft. It was all worth in your eyes, even if the rest of us had to suffer. By the way, the 76ers are almost completely responsible for the league voting to change the draft odds to disincentivize this type of multi-year tanking so I guess we have to thank them for something.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#346 » by cjmcallist » Wed May 12, 2021 3:07 am

ciueli wrote:The thing you're not factoring in is the impact on the league as a whole. Maybe you don't care about your team losing tons of games for 3+ years, but fans of other teams have to watch their team play your team. It's bad enough when one team does it, can you imagine how unwatchable the NBA would become if more than about 2-3 teams were doing the same thing simultaneously?

The NBA has had multiple unwatchable teams playing poorly every year for a while. That hasn’t seemed to decrease the popularity of the NBA thus far (as evidenced by continued growth of franchise values, among other things).

In fact - I would argue that these poorly managed teams are far worse for the league than a well managed team losing on purpose. I think that’s been proven true over the last decade.

Finally, your statement in bold is incorrect. It appears to be how you want the league to work, not how it actually works. But, please show me where you got this information on a “gentleman’s agreement” and I’ll gladly stand corrected.
ciueli
Analyst

Post#347 » by ciueli » Wed May 12, 2021 3:15 am

cjmcallist wrote:
ciueli wrote:The thing you're not factoring in is the impact on the league as a whole. Maybe you don't care about your team losing tons of games for 3+ years, but fans of other teams have to watch their team play your team. It's bad enough when one team does it, can you imagine how unwatchable the NBA would become if more than about 2-3 teams were doing the same thing simultaneously?

The NBA has had multiple unwatchable teams playing poorly every year for a while. That hasn’t seemed to decrease the popularity of the NBA thus far (as evidenced by continued growth of franchise values, among other things).

In fact - I would argue that these poorly managed teams are far worse for the league than a well managed team losing on purpose. I think that’s been proven true over the last decade.

Finally, your statement in bold is incorrect. It appears to be how you want the league to work, not how it actually works. But, please show me where you got this information on a “gentleman’s agreement” and I’ll gladly stand corrected.

The proof is that Adam Silver, NBA commissioner, had to get involved with the situation in Philadelphia. The entire league knew what was going on and there's no question that Adam made it clear to them that what they were doing was not ok, thus Adam foisting Bryan Colangelo on them. I'm sure if your team's tank job goes on too long you'll be hearing rumblings from other teams in the league and Adam will be paying a visit to OKC.

Actually, who am I kidding. The NBA doesn't really care about a tiny market like OKC, I'm sure they are 100% fine with your team being terrible for the foreseeable future. They only cared about Philadelphia because they are a major market. My sincere apologies.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#348 » by cjmcallist » Wed May 12, 2021 1:54 pm

ciueli wrote:The proof is that Adam Silver, NBA commissioner, had to get involved with the situation in Philadelphia. The entire league knew what was going on and there's no question that Adam made it clear to them that what they were doing was not ok, thus Adam foisting Bryan Colangelo on them. I'm sure if your team's tank job goes on too long you'll be hearing rumblings from other teams in the league and Adam will be paying a visit to OKC.

Actually, who am I kidding. The NBA doesn't really care about a tiny market like OKC, I'm sure they are 100% fine with your team being terrible for the foreseeable future. They only cared about Philadelphia because they are a major market. My sincere apologies.

Well, I tried. Like I said before - reasonable people can disagree. When you're interested in having a level-headed discussion on the merits of small market team building, please come back. Until then, these posters summed it up well.

XtremeDunkz wrote:Bruh.... I'm done lol. This doesn't even deserve a response.

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:You guys don’t even think half of this stuff you just want to get into an argument.

Edit: format
bballfan1three3
Senior
And1: 761

Post#349 » by bballfan1three3 » Wed May 12, 2021 4:18 pm

ciueli wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:
ciueli wrote:

Andre Iguodala
Nikola Vučević
Lou Williams
Thaddeus Young
Jrue Holiday

Sure, I get it - like all fans you're incredibly selfish and don't care if the league has to suffer a half-decade of your team being unwatchable if it increases your chances of getting stars in the draft. It was all worth in your eyes, even if the rest of us had to suffer. By the way, the 76ers are almost completely responsible for the league voting to change the draft odds to disincentivize this type of multi-year tanking so I guess we have to thank them for something.

Are you seriously trying to guilt trip someone over their team being good. I don't think thats gonna work, I absolutely want the league to suffer for my team to win, how could you not, sports are a zero-sum game there is only 1 champion and mathematically the league average must be 0.500 so why not would someone want their team to be good
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#350 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed May 12, 2021 4:29 pm

They are doing exactly what they should, play the young guys and try out G-League players to hopefully find a diamond in the rough.

Would they be smarter to sign Isaiah Thomas at age 32 and let him throw up 25ppg, take time from the youngsters, hurt the tank and not build any long term chemistry with the young guys who will be around for a while?

OKC is balancing out their cinderella story from last year. This is the tank year, next season they are in the play-in. SGA's talent is too good to have them truly bottom out so take the L for half a season, hope for 2 top picks and get back to the 19/20 scrappy, underdog culture. Then once the talent marinates, perennial HCA team at the least.
HabsAndDubs
Senior
And1: 489

Post#351 » by HabsAndDubs » Wed May 12, 2021 5:03 pm

ciueli wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:
ciueli wrote:

Andre Iguodala
Nikola Vučević
Lou Williams
Thaddeus Young
Jrue Holiday

This is the definition of a mediocre team. Vuk has proven that he can be the #1 option on at best, an 8 seed, Jrue Holiday as the second option led New Orleans to pretty much nothing, Iguodala, Lou Will and Thad Young are all bench guys. Not a single sixers fan would prefer this to the Embiid/Simmons sixers, and not a single person who watches basketball would enjoy watching this team vs what Philly was actually able to assemble.

Anyways, as a fan of a team that just beat OKC by like 50 over two nights, I don’t think that most other fans care if their team is playing a tanking team. Would rather cruise through OKC and get to watch their young guys scrap together a win than watching the same teams be mediocre for a decade because “it’s the right way to do things”.

Hockey does this. I guarantee you that watching a team finish 8-10 in their division for 7 straight years does nothing for anyone/
ciueli
Analyst

Post#352 » by ciueli » Wed May 12, 2021 5:38 pm

cjmcallist wrote:Well, I tried. Like I said before - reasonable people can disagree. When you're interested in having a level-headed discussion on the merits of small market team building, please come back. Until then, these posters summed it up well.

Let's just remember that what started this discussion was OKC fans trying to defend their team by lumping other teams in with them, pushing the narrative that there is nothing wrong with instituting a multi-year tank job because there are a bunch of other teams tanking.

Now you're no longer interested in defending this concept, you suddenly want to have a "level-headed discussion on the merits of small market team building". Ok, how about this. Your team has a bunch of cap space for the offseason and a mountain of assets. Are you going to spend any of it in an attempt to get better? I think we both the answer for the next few year is "no, not until we get a star in the draft by being bad".
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,052

Post#353 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed May 12, 2021 5:59 pm

ciueli wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:Well, I tried. Like I said before - reasonable people can disagree. When you're interested in having a level-headed discussion on the merits of small market team building, please come back. Until then, these posters summed it up well.

Let's just remember that what started this discussion was OKC fans trying to defend their team by lumping other teams in with them, pushing the narrative that there is nothing wrong with instituting a multi-year tank job because there are a bunch of other teams tanking.

Now you're no longer interested in defending this concept, you suddenly want to have a "level-headed discussion on the merits of small market team building". Ok, how about this. Your team has a bunch of cap space for the offseason and a mountain of assets. Are you going to spend any of it in an attempt to get better? I think we both the answer for the next few year is "no, not until we get a star in the draft by being bad".

It’s not a multi year tank though they likely flip the switch this offseason and last year they were the 4 seed. It’s a masterclass in a quick rebuild and most of the arguments against are bad faith.
ciueli
Analyst

Post#354 » by ciueli » Wed May 12, 2021 6:16 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
It’s not a multi year tank though they likely flip the switch this offseason and last year they were the 4 seed. It’s a masterclass in a quick rebuild and most of the arguments against are bad faith.

Shai is about the one good player left on the team. How is OKC making the playoffs next season? The only reason the team was in the playoffs the previous season was Chris Paul (MVP candidate this year) and veterans like Steven Adams, Danilo Gallinari, and Dennis Schröder.

I mean, next season Shai could be one of the oldest players on OKC at the age of 23 (outside Horford who is at the end of his career and apparently isn't even allowed to play for OKC). That doesn't sound like a team that's going to make big waves in a strong Western Conference.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#355 » by Spens1 » Thu May 13, 2021 1:43 pm

Maybe the NBA should introduce pro-rel, would get rid of tanking at least when teams are facing down relegation into the g-league at least. Teams get rewarded far too generously for being as bad as they are and generally that is why you see teams doing stuff like this.

The Thunder know they're going to be bad so why go out and try when they can use the next few seasons cycling through g-league talent, trying to find gems whilst using their million and one draft picks to get a competitive roster or at least use the assets to trade for talent that can get them to the championship eventually.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#356 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu May 13, 2021 2:13 pm

OKC sitting in Suggs position right now. Tank is looking pretty good.
Stickmann
Freshman
And1: 61

Post#357 » by Stickmann » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:10 am

1bigfan13 wrote:
Stickmann wrote:
1bigfan13 wrote:
Don't put it past him. This generation of players are perfectly content leaving money on the table just to play at a preferred location.

If KAT and fox didn’t do it playing behind an absolute monstrosity of franchises I don’t see how Sga would. You’re delusional if he’s giving up like 50 million dollars. Like so delusional

There are examples to support my argument as well. Porzingis didn't want to extend with the Knicks. Pretty much forced their hand to trade him.

But yeah, I'm delusional for even suggesting that it's a possibility. :noway:

Hahahahaahah
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect
And1: 817

Post#358 » by 1bigfan13 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:05 am

Stickmann wrote:
1bigfan13 wrote:
Stickmann wrote:
If KAT and fox didn’t do it playing behind an absolute monstrosity of franchises I don’t see how Sga would. You’re delusional if he’s giving up like 50 million dollars. Like so delusional

There are examples to support my argument as well. Porzingis didn't want to extend with the Knicks. Pretty much forced their hand to trade him.

But yeah, I'm delusional for even suggesting that it's a possibility. :noway:

Hahahahaahah

Did I say he was definitely going to turn down the contract?

I just said I wouldn't put it past him given the mindset of a lot of modern day players.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,674

Post#359 » by Pointgod » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:12 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:OKC sitting in Suggs position right now. Tank is looking pretty good.

Damn only to end up with Josh Giddey
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#360 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:15 am

Pointgod wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:OKC sitting in Suggs position right now. Tank is looking pretty good.

Damn only to end up with Josh Giddey

I log on just to find you paying rent by searching my old posts. I don’t think you even like basketball, I think you just like to troll. But in the offchance that you do, remember that my team’s GM is better than yours, and it’s about how well you play your hand.

Return to The General Board