RJ Barrett shooting over 45% from 3 after 40+ games.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

RandlesCornrows
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,603

RJ Barrett shooting over 45% from 3 after 40+ games. 

Post#1 » by RandlesCornrows » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:22 pm

The kid was pretty brutal after his first 10 games, still I never gave up on him, I can’t believe he was labeled a bust and people wanted him in the g league. His ability to shoot after last season struggles seriously shows this kid is developing at a rapid pace. As well as his FT% taking a big jump.

With his bully ball game at 20 years old, now with his ability to shoot the lights out the ball. The kid looks to be near Jimmy Butlers level when Jimmy Butler wasn’t even at this level until he was 25.

If he can tighten up his handles and work on a post game, which he has so much time to develop. He can he a super star player.

It’s crazy to me how disrespected he is by the media. RJ is the perfect player to be showing to the world.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Re: RJ Barrett shooting over 45% from 3 after 40+ games. 

Post#2 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:42 pm

bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,236

Post#3 » by gavran » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:59 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:He's shooting 38% after 53 games.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barrerj01.html

You didn't even read the first sentence of the OP, didn't you?
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#4 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:07 pm

Read on Twitter

He's good at basketball.
RandlesCornrows
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by RandlesCornrows » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:11 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

He's good at basketball.
he’s very good at basketball :nod:
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:20 pm

gavran wrote:

Yes I did. I just don't see the point in skewing sample sizes. I like RJ and he has is improved but let's look at the entire context. I don't think there is anything unfair about including his actual stats on the season. I do think it's obvious he's improved. People labeling him a bust were just trolling knick fans.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#7 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:25 pm

I know many don’t think it’s close still, but the RJ vs Ja debate should be heating up.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,063

Post#8 » by Lockdown504090 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:25 pm

Last thread about him I said that it wasn’t good enough, even though he was shooting well outta one corner and scoring at a decent rate. This is why. I have all star expectations of RJ, even at this age. Dude is a helluva player
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,292

Post#9 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:26 pm

Near Jimmy Butler level while he still has a negative bpm?
RandlesCornrows
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by RandlesCornrows » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:45 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:Near Jimmy Butler level while he still has a negative bpm?
The whole Elfrid Payton being a starter playing 30 minutes is a major reason for that. Anytime Quickley is in his +\- is great. RJ at 20 is already a very good defensive player
RandlesCornrows
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by RandlesCornrows » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:46 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
gavran wrote:

Yes I did. I just don't see the point in skewing sample sizes. I like RJ and he has is improved but let's look at the entire context. I don't think there is anything unfair about including his actual stats on the season. I do think it's obvious he's improved. People labeling him a bust were just trolling knick fans.
40 games is practically the entire season for shooting just 4% below 50%. That’s more than a “skewing” sample sizes here lmao.

He started off poor so that was the small sample size of him being a poor shooter.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#12 » by JonFromVA » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:07 pm

RandlesCornrows wrote:It’s crazy to me how disrespected he is by the media. RJ is the perfect player to be showing to the world.

It's worth noting that 98.6% of his 3pters have been assisted, and his TS% is still down around 53% because he doesn't shoot 3's in high enough volume and is missing too many short-range 2's.

He's making solid progress, but I'm not sure what you expect out of the media. Expectations are high for the 3rd pick in the draft, so he's not going to benefit from the Linsanity effect.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#13 » by blueNorange » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:10 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
gavran wrote:

Yes I did. I just don't see the point in skewing sample sizes. I like RJ and he has is improved but let's look at the entire context. I don't think there is anything unfair about includiyoung his actual stats on the season. I do think it's obvious he's improved. People labeling him a bust were just trolling knick fans.

38% from three is still great ....
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:12 pm

RandlesCornrows wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
gavran wrote:

40 games is practically the entire season for shooting just 4% below 50%. That’s more than a “skewing” sample sizes here lmao.

He started off poor so that was the small sample size of him being a poor shooter.

That's not how stats work unless your a fan. I can take some games he shot really well and say that it's likely not repeatable and drop his percentages too. Would that be fair?

SGA started out 13/44 in the first 7 games from three. If I remove those games then he shot 58/123 for 47% over 28 games instead of 41% over 35 games.

Like I said, RJ has improved and I like the kid. However, this isn't an objective way of presenting the argument.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#15 » by blueNorange » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:12 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:Near Jimmy Butler level while he still has a negative bpm?

1. he really started off rough
2. he plays mostly on the court with elfrid payton and whenever that happens there's zero spacing and the offense is just hope randle has a hot hand.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#16 » by blueNorange » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:14 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
RandlesCornrows wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Yes I did. I just don't see the point in skewing sample sizes. I like RJ and he has is improved but let's look at the entire context. I don't think there is anything unfair about including his actual stats on the season. I do think it's obvious he's improved. People labeling him a bust were just trolling knick fans.

That's not how stats work unless your a fan. I can take some games he shot really well and say that it's likely not repeatable and drop his percentages too. Would that be fair?

SGA started out 13/44 in the first 7 games from three. If I remove those games then he shot 58/123 for 47% over 28 games instead of 41% over 35 games.

Like I said, RJ has improved and I like the kid. However, this isn't an objective way of presenting the argument.

how is 28 games the same as 40+

sounds like you're pretending to be an rj fan by trashing him, you choosing to take some games out now that's skewering.

this is last 40+ games and that includes the duds, and yet he's still shooting at an elite clip.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:14 pm

blueNorange wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
gavran wrote:

Yes I did. I just don't see the point in skewing sample sizes. I like RJ and he has is improved but let's look at the entire context. I don't think there is anything unfair about includiyoung his actual stats on the season. I do think it's obvious he's improved. People labeling him a bust were just trolling knick fans.

It's a little better than league average which is currently at 36.7%. It's a great improvement for RJ if it holds up.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:16 pm

blueNorange wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
RandlesCornrows wrote:40 games is practically the entire season for shooting just 4% below 50%. That’s more than a “skewing” sample sizes here lmao.

how is 28 games the same as 40+

sounds like you're pretending to be an rj fan by trashing him, you choosing to take some games out now that's skewering.

this is last 40+ games and that includes the duds, and yet he's still shooting at an elite clip.

You've got to be kidding me, right? So you have a problem that I used 28 instead of 40 but its ok to use 40 instead of 53? How about we use the whole season and quit creating convenient breaks that fit a narrative. I didn't say that 28 was the same as 40. I said I can do the same thing if I want to cut and paste portions of the season.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#19 » by blueNorange » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:16 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Yes I did. I just don't see the point in skewing sample sizes. I like RJ and he has is improved but let's look at the entire context. I don't think there is anything unfair about includiyoung his actual stats on the season. I do think it's obvious he's improved. People labeling him a bust were just trolling knick fans.

It's a little better than league average which is currently at 36.7%. It's a great improvement for RJ if it holds up.

lol

and just like that, your true colors are shown. :lol:

we get it, you think rj barrett shouldn't be talked about as much even though nobody expected this.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:19 pm

blueNorange wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
blueNorange wrote:38% from three is still great ....

lol

and just like that, your true colors are shown. :lol:

we get it, you think rj barrett shouldn't be talked about as much even though nobody expected this.

So league average isn't 36.7 this year? You disagree that 38.2 isn't significantly higher than 36.7? My true colors involve 3rd grade math. RJ is improved. Just take the whole sample size and lets wait and see. You're trying to pick and battle that doesn't exist.

Return to The General Board