RJ Barrett shooting over 45% from 3 after 40+ games.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,072

Re: RJ Barrett shooting over 45% from 3 after 40+ games. 

Post#21 » by blueNorange » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:19 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:That's not how stats work unless your a fan. I can take some games he shot really well and say that it's likely not repeatable and drop his percentages too. Would that be fair?

SGA started out 13/44 in the first 7 games from three. If I remove those games then he shot 58/123 for 47% over 28 games instead of 41% over 35 games.

Like I said, RJ has improved and I like the kid. However, this isn't an objective way of presenting the argument.

how is 28 games the same as 40+

sounds like you're pretending to be an rj fan by trashing him, you choosing to take some games out now that's skewering.

this is last 40+ games and that includes the duds, and yet he's still shooting at an elite clip.

You've got to be kidding me, right? So you have a problem that I used 28 instead of 40 but its ok to use 40 instead of 53? How about we use the whole season and quit creating convenient breaks that fit a narrative. I didn't say that 28 was the same as 40. I said I can do the same thing if I want to cut and paste portions of the season.

if you're asking help to understand if there's a difference between using 1/3 of a seasons production vs 1/2 of a seasons production.

then my buddy, yes. there's a huge difference. half is more than a third. :lol:
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,201

Post#22 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:21 pm

blueNorange wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
blueNorange wrote:how is 28 games the same as 40+

sounds like you're pretending to be an rj fan by trashing him, you choosing to take some games out now that's skewering.

this is last 40+ games and that includes the duds, and yet he's still shooting at an elite clip.

You've got to be kidding me, right? So you have a problem that I used 28 instead of 40 but its ok to use 40 instead of 53? How about we use the whole season and quit creating convenient breaks that fit a narrative. I didn't say that 28 was the same as 40. I said I can do the same thing if I want to cut and paste portions of the season.

if you're asking help to understand if there's a difference between using 1/3 of a seasons production vs 1/2 of a seasons production.

So more is better as long as it’s not too much to include the whole season? Gotcha.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,791

Post#23 » by JJ_PR » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:23 pm

Good player. Julius Randle's presence is a big reason why his development has taken a big step forward.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,072

Post#24 » by blueNorange » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:23 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:You've got to be kidding me, right? So you have a problem that I used 28 instead of 40 but its ok to use 40 instead of 53? How about we use the whole season and quit creating convenient breaks that fit a narrative. I didn't say that 28 was the same as 40. I said I can do the same thing if I want to cut and paste portions of the season.

So more is better as long as it’s not too much to include the whole season? Gotcha.

yes more does show more consistency.

that's the goal, to be consistent.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
benjamink15
Pro Prospect
And1: 903

Post#25 » by benjamink15 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:25 pm

Why's it hard to just accept and acknowledge that he's balling?

Good for RJ. He was **** on last year and the beginning of this year. He's going to be a star. He has the size, athleticism and now his shooting is showing. Very good OP you're absolutely right. An improved handle and some go-to moves and he's going to be a superstar.
RandlesCornrows
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,610

Post#26 » by RandlesCornrows » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:28 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:You've got to be kidding me, right? So you have a problem that I used 28 instead of 40 but its ok to use 40 instead of 53? How about we use the whole season and quit creating convenient breaks that fit a narrative. I didn't say that 28 was the same as 40. I said I can do the same thing if I want to cut and paste portions of the season.

For a developing 20 year old, his rough start was just a rough start. In fact it shows more that he’s shooting 46% after 41 games within 53 games, it shows he doesn’t let a slump get him down. He’s developing and the fact that he is shooting near 50% shows this is who he’s becoming, and like how one poster has pointed out, within those 41 games, he’s had some poor games and his numbers are still great. He’ll be a 40% 3 points shooter throughout his career. He’s not only becoming a good 3 point shooter, he’s becoming an elite 3 point shooter. And we know this because we watch him every single game since his NBA debut. We’re not just being biased homers, every time RJ shoots from 3, you feel it goes in.
RandlesCornrows
Bench Warmer

Post#27 » by RandlesCornrows » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:32 pm

benjamink15 wrote:Why's it hard to just accept and acknowledge that he's balling?

Good for RJ. He was **** on last year and the beginning of this year. He's going to be a star. He has the size, athleticism and now his shooting is showing. Very good OP you're absolutely right. An improved handle and some go-to moves and he's going to be a superstar.
Most people don’t like the Knicks being relevant. You’d think the media would be showcasing his talent. ESPN actually swapped out the BOS/NYK game a few days ago, it’s pretty damn funny at this point.

Anyway I know Knicks & Raptor fans love RJ :D glad he’s making Canada proud!
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,591

Post#28 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:33 pm

Here’s the thing, ya RJ didn’t look good last year and looked really bad to start this year.

But we are talking about a 20 year old that has put together a 41 game stretch where he is averaging 18/5/3 on 48/46/75 shooting with good defense. I think that’s a solid sized sample to start thinking he maybe progressing and showing some legit promise.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,618

Post#29 » by KembaWalker » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:34 pm

theres nothing realgmers hate more than a young player they made fun of in the past making them look dumb. they will fight it to the grave
RandlesCornrows
Bench Warmer

Post#30 » by RandlesCornrows » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:39 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Here’s the thing, ya RJ didn’t look good this year and looked really bad to start this year.

But we are talking about a 20 year old that has put together a 41 game stretch where he is averaging 18/5/3 on 48/46/75 shooting with good defense. I think that’s a solid sized sample to start thinking he maybe progressing and showing some legit promise.
Exactly, he’s not exactly dominating, but he’s picking his spots. He’s not inefficient like he was in Duke and his rookie year. It shows he’s a very motivated, high IQ player. Once he develops his skills, he’ll start dominating. And he showed that last night he took over the game scoring 15 points in the 4th quarter and OT to win the game.

I want him to tighten his handles and work on in post. But I kinda hope he can be a pull up shooter from 3, similar to Harden. But it’ll make him a little inefficient. Just some thing to add to his game to make him a deadly 3 level scorer.

You can assume he’ll add those skills since he’s so damn young.
Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,628

Post#31 » by Buttah304 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:45 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
gavran wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:He's shooting 38% after 53 games.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barrerj01.html

You didn't even read the first sentence of the OP, didn't you?

Yes I did. I just don't see the point in skewing sample sizes. I like RJ and he has is improved but let's look at the entire context. I don't think there is anything unfair about including his actual stats on the season. I do think it's obvious he's improved. People labeling him a bust were just trolling knick fans.

He was simply making a point that it was over his last 40 games. No need to bring out basketball reference like your some savant.

If you referenced a stat about SGA I wouldn’t be sitting here dissecting it. He was just making a statement and you tried to be clever but failed in doing so. Congratulations.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,201

Post#32 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:16 pm

Buttah304 wrote:No need to bring out basketball reference like your some savant.

This made my day. Thank you.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,197

Post#33 » by rate_ » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:20 pm

Just going by the eye test, I just don't see star potential for RJ, even though his numbers are improving. I think he can be a legit 3 and D player with some north-south slashing ability, but he doesn't have an array of moves, or an advanced enough handle like a true star player.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,512

Post#34 » by Chanel Bomber » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:35 pm

RJ is gonna be great. The natural talent is there, the athleticism and the first step may be lacking but the strength is there, the work ethic is there and the mental approach is there.

Although I agree that it's convenient and misleading to just exclude his early season struggles from the sample size. They were as much part of who he is as his good streaks. He's a 38.2% 3P shooter, which is quite remarkable considering his shot looked broken at times last year.

I don't expect him to make the leap to stardom until year 4 or 5. Right now, he still needs a pick set for him to maneuver and get to his spots. He can't play ISO ball. But once he masters that, he's gonna be very hard to stop as a scoring/playmaking wing who also provides a lot of intangibles.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#35 » by whocares1 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:58 pm

benjamink15 wrote:Why's it hard to just accept and acknowledge that he's balling?

I think it’s some weird hatred for the Knicks that might stem from Knicks fans being pretentious for a long time while never having any actual success.

It’s crazy tho that people can’t praise a 20 year old kid who went from being a terrible free throw and 3 point shooter to an above average one in both areas in just one season. Even the other guy in the thread saying most of RJ’s threes are C&S, is another way of downplaying RJ’s progress.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#36 » by whocares1 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:01 pm

RandlesCornrows wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Here’s the thing, ya RJ didn’t look good this year and looked really bad to start this year.

Exactly, he’s not exactly dominating, but he’s picking his spots. He’s not inefficient like he was in Duke and his rookie year. It shows he’s a very motivated, high IQ player. Once he develops his skills, he’ll start dominating. And he showed that last night he took over the game scoring 15 points in the 4th quarter and OT to win the game.

I want him to tighten his handles and work on in post. But I kinda hope he can be a pull up shooter from 3, similar to Harden. But it’ll make him a little inefficient. Just some thing to add to his game to make him a deadly 3 level scorer.

You can assume he’ll add those skills since he’s so damn young.

If he’s going to be a star he needs that pull up three which I think he will.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,993

Post#37 » by anotherhomer » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:09 pm

Classic case of fans being overly excited and making their own fan base look bad

That said, he does seem promising, but is a work in progress
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,945

Post#38 » by Capn'O » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:25 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
gavran wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:He's shooting 38% after 53 games.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barrerj01.html

You didn't even read the first sentence of the OP, didn't you?

Yes I did. I just don't see the point in skewing sample sizes. I like RJ and he has is improved but let's look at the entire context. I don't think there is anything unfair about including his actual stats on the season. I do think it's obvious he's improved. People labeling him a bust were just trolling knick fans.

There's an argument that his more recent sample is a better indicator of what's to come. I don't know if he's a dead eye shooter like that but generally expect to see higher efficiency overall from him.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#39 » by Apz » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:35 pm

What actually did happen this seasons early start? So Rj had a bad shooting start, also luka shot like 10% from 3 x games in. Something to do with league starting earlier then expected?
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,232

Post#40 » by Dan Z » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:57 pm

I remember when many people on RealGM called him a bust. Ah memories...

Return to The General Board