[SHAMS] Lamarcus Aldridge announces he is retiring....

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Jeremy Lin 7
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,263

Re: [SHAMS] Lamarcus Aldridge announces he is retiring.... 

Post#121 » by Jeremy Lin 7 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:17 pm

SMH at posters who are making jokes. Heart conditions are no joke

Watching Aldridge in his prime was a pleasure. He had a great career and nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone knew he'll turnaround his right shoulder for a fadeaway and yet it'll still be money.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#122 » by MotownMadness » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:17 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Do people here who had near death experience we scared of that, because I feel thats my disconnect from mentally healthy person, I dont get that, I had few near death experienced, inflicted one myself, but I was never scared, I am super scared for my love ones, but not myself, but I have strong depression.
I am not saying I would play through heart problem, cause I wouldn't, I am just asking are people get scared by that?

While it's a bit off topic, I deal with varying degrees of depression and while I am scared of dying in calm moments, when things happen like flying off the highway straight into a tree... I was completely calm. Which is probably why I didn't even get whiplash from it.

So I think maybe it'd be a little different from an unexpected near death expeirence to put yourself into a life risking situation for no real reason other than clout chasing.

But I can relate to you exactly and feel similar about it, also with loved ones and hate that some have died.

Mental disorders like mine makes no sense. I have a lot of phobias, but I feel like I am not afraid of dying at all, which you would think would make person fearless and maybe even sociophatic, but no, I am afraid of everything in life other than not having it, I have social phobia, and if unknown number ever calls me, I get so scared, I have huge phobia of talking with people especially over phone, but I had trauma that almost killed me, and I wasnt afraid at all, whatsoever. I am very suicidal person, but I just too chicken to go through with it you know, I just afraid of the process, not the part where you dont exist anymore, if I was American and maybe had access to guns, maybe I would have done it cause its easiest way, but maybe I just think that because I dont have a gun. Sorry for derailing the topic though.

Damn bro, I feel you though as a suffer from being anti social or some sort of social anxiety and massive depression. Never thought about suicide but also could careless if I died except for the fact I have kids.

Do you take benzos? I'm on 3 a day with my depression meds and can usually stay calm without flipping out on someone. Mental Illness sucks though bad.
makubesu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,781

Post#123 » by makubesu » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:17 pm

Basketball reference gives him a 50% shot at the hall, but I think his reputation isn’t good enough even for those odds. I loved watching him play though, I hope he lives a long and happy post-nba life.
Yeggo Poleggo
Rookie
And1: 1,244

Post#124 » by Yeggo Poleggo » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:17 pm

LMA was a bad dude, but Ill always remember him and the BRoy Blazers.

Wishing you peace and happiness in retirement, LMA.
World's biggest Kobe Bryant fan.

levon wrote:this board: "THT's negative value"

this board after he's traded: "I like THT, and he's so young! stupid Lakers let another one go"

literally every Lakers young player in the last 7 years
NADALalot
Senior
And1: 352

Post#125 » by NADALalot » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:19 pm

Impressive finish to his career, career-highs in 5 categories since joining Brooklyn:
52.1% field
80% treys
100% free-throws
2.6 assists
2.2 blocks
LeMasta
Veteran
And1: 2,194

Post#126 » by LeMasta » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:23 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Do people here who had near death experience we scared of that, because I feel thats my disconnect from mentally healthy person, I dont get that, I had few near death experienced, inflicted one myself, but I was never scared, I am super scared for my love ones, but not myself, but I have strong depression.
I am not saying I would play through heart problem, cause I wouldn't, I am just asking are people get scared by that?

Look up heart arrhythmia. Now imagine being a professional athlete where you're expected to play at a high level and stay in peak condition at all times. If anything it's impressive he made it so far.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,399

Post#127 » by Infinite Llamas » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:24 pm

It’s definitely very serious and no joking matter.

Crazy that his career ended 49 points short of 20k.

Hope he gets this fixed and lives a long and happy life.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#128 » by Ballings7 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:25 pm

Aldridge has an enlarged heart from what I remember, and had incidents in isolation with Portland and also SA.

Best for him to just end it now and get his full diagnosis so he can find a solution for more stability.

He had a really nice career, and really enjoyed him... special scorer and underrated IMO, also was a respectable defender from what I saw.. his playoff success is put too much on him and not enough against the collection of teammates as well.

Ballerhogger wrote:
Homer38 wrote:Good decision ... The health is more important

The question is if he is a future HOF?

nope i dont think so . good career but no

He'll make the HOF... 7-time all star between two franchises, and multi-season 20PPG scorer.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Biff
Starter
And1: 1,185

Post#129 » by Biff » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:25 pm

Wasn't expecting to hear this news today. What a bummer for LaMarcus but I'm glad he made this decision rather than risk a Reggie Lewis type situation. Retiring before you want to sucks but it's a hell of a lot better than dying young. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
MavfanAus
Analyst
And1: 2,302

Post#130 » by MavfanAus » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:26 pm

I can only speak for myself with my condition, and I can say when I have a flare up, my fear isn't death, it's the actual feeling of your heart racing a mile an hour and palpitating as if it's stopped and started hundreds of times in a short period of time. It's not "painful" but it's quite scary and very uncomfortable when it feels like your heart stops and starts (where as it's skipping a beat, often times over and over in a short period of time). It's not an anxiety thing though which you may be referring to. Fear of death doesn't cross my mind with it. Originally the first time I had it, I feared death. I wasn't educated and thought I was having a heart attack.

Larry Bird has the same condition I do and that's one of the main causes as to why he had to retire. It's a very uncomfortable feeling and being a pro athlete, with your heart already beating at a high rate through exertion, I couldn't imagine dealing with it on the court.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,089

Post#131 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:34 pm

Glad I got to watch his whole career. he played with nothing but class and sportsmanship. Dude was a champion whether he has the hardware to show it or not. Never going to forget when he dominated dwight in 2014.
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,787

Post#132 » by Johnny Fontane » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:36 pm

From Brooklyn’s perspective, this could be a blessing in disguise. While Aldridge filled in nicely w/ Nets injuries, he was a turnstile defender and may have been hurt by a lot of key matchups in the playoffs

That said, Good on him for knowing when to hang it up

Always was a fan of him, and wanted him to get a ring, but still a stellar career at the end of the day
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,382

Post#133 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:37 pm

He did the right thing.

He got enough money to be set up for life, and his family as well.

Guy has had a HOF-worthy career, did his contribution to the history of the game. One of the best Portland players ever, maybe top 5 (Walton/Drexler/Lillard, etc - haven't put enough thought into it).

Should just enjoy the game from afar, enjoy his family life, and if needed, find another occupation, be it as a businessman, writer, commentator, anything that doesn't involve physical stress.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,318

Post#134 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:38 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:i'll never forget watching him torch the rockets in game 1 2014 first round. It was an absolutely spectacular offensive performance for a big man, he was hitting the craziest shots. feel old remembering magazine articles about him and daniel gibson dominating texas hs baskebtall...good luck LMA and stay healthy.

He was incredible in that series. My fav LMA moments.

Thanks for 15, big guy.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,856

Post#135 » by Duffman100 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:41 pm

Really great player. His presence will be missed. I hope he lives a long life after his retirement.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,253

Post#136 » by Statlanta » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:41 pm

The Nets are now below the healthy Lakers in my eyes. I don't know why he stole a Brooklyn NBA contract if he knew he had this condition
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
HabsAndDubs
Senior
And1: 489

Post#137 » by HabsAndDubs » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:42 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:
HabsAndDubs wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:agree to disagree . He wasnt apart of the championship run . I mean as player the rings is embodiment what you did for the team and your experience with the team . I wouldn't wanted be reminded i had to retire.

Toronto gave Drake a ring. Hope they give him one, cool souvenir to have long after your playing days.

A. thats joke kinda why did he get one? part owner?

quote="Raptaz"]
HabsAndDubs wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:agree to disagree . He wasnt apart of the championship run . I mean as player the rings is embodiment what you did for the team and your experience with the team . I wouldn't wanted be reminded i had to retire.

Toronto gave Drake a ring. Hope they give him one, cool souvenir to have long after your playing days.

they shouldnt have given him or superfan-nav a ring.

Players like JV didnt get one played half the season and was valuable in acquiring gasol.[/quote]

He got one because he’s their brand ambassador I think? Definitely the biggest factor in putting Toronto, and in turn the raptors on the map. He’s probably the biggest reason Toronto is considered a top market at this point.

Also, surprised JV didn’t get one- I thought they gave him one, though they should’ve
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#138 » by xdrta+ » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:43 pm

Statlanta wrote:The Nets are now below the healthy Lakers in my eyes. I don't know why he stole a Brooklyn NBA contract if he knew he had this condition

What did he steal, a half season minimum contract? If he knew about it, he could have kept the $7 million dollars he gave back to the Spurs.
bballfan1three3
Senior
And1: 763

Post#139 » by bballfan1three3 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:45 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
While it's a bit off topic, I deal with varying degrees of depression and while I am scared of dying in calm moments, when things happen like flying off the highway straight into a tree... I was completely calm. Which is probably why I didn't even get whiplash from it.

So I think maybe it'd be a little different from an unexpected near death expeirence to put yourself into a life risking situation for no real reason other than clout chasing.

But I can relate to you exactly and feel similar about it, also with loved ones and hate that some have died.

Mental disorders like mine makes no sense. I have a lot of phobias, but I feel like I am not afraid of dying at all, which you would think would make person fearless and maybe even sociophatic, but no, I am afraid of everything in life other than not having it, I have social phobia, and if unknown number ever calls me, I get so scared, I have huge phobia of talking with people especially over phone, but I had trauma that almost killed me, and I wasnt afraid at all, whatsoever. I am very suicidal person, but I just too chicken to go through with it you know, I just afraid of the process, not the part where you dont exist anymore, if I was American and maybe had access to guns, maybe I would have done it cause its easiest way, but maybe I just think that because I dont have a gun. Sorry for derailing the topic though.

Damn bro, I feel you though as a suffer from being anti social or some sort of social anxiety and massive depression. Never thought about suicide but also could careless if I died except for the fact I have kids.

Do you take benzos? I'm on 3 a day with my depression meds and can usually stay calm without flipping out on someone. Mental Illness sucks though bad.

You take 3 benzos a day? You know those things are worse than heroin and crack combined for your brain right? get that down to 1 or 2. I've met crackheads who wouldn't touch benzos with a 30 foot pole, but if it does help stay with it I guess
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,232

Post#140 » by EArl » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:47 pm

This came out of nowhere for me. Damn. I wish him the best.

Looks like the Nets center rotation just got thinner.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;

Return to The General Board