Biggest ego-to-talent ratios in NBA history?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Re: Biggest ego-to-talent ratios in NBA history? 

Post#121 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:30 pm

Optms wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
drchaos wrote:
Kyrie is one of the most talented players the league has ever seen.

Whatever you think about his ego there have got to be some players with swelled heads nowhere near his level of ability.

Derek Coleman was a headcase but undeniably talented as well.

Kyrie is very talented, but he’s still not nearly as good as he thinks either. Which was my point. Cavs and Celtic fans figured it out in time but Nets fans are still in the defend Kyrie mode.

Amd that obvious sense of entitlement, ‘I’m a superstar so I’m just going to take the next few games off’ and multiple other examples all go back to his inflated ego. He thinks he’s better than everyone else both as a player and as a person. He’s a narcissist.

Kyrie's ego's so big, I don't even think he even ranks himself as a player. I really truly believe he sees himself as a generational personality type of figure within the game, a generational type figure within the 21st-century culture. His ego is bigger than the game can hold. :lol:

Kyrie's ego can't be confined by the Earth. It flows over the edges, in a purple waterfall that smells like sage.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,832

Post#122 » by Beethoven » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:31 pm

Optms wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
drchaos wrote:
Kyrie is one of the most talented players the league has ever seen.

Whatever you think about his ego there have got to be some players with swelled heads nowhere near his level of ability.

Derek Coleman was a headcase but undeniably talented as well.

Kyrie is very talented, but he’s still not nearly as good as he thinks either. Which was my point. Cavs and Celtic fans figured it out in time but Nets fans are still in the defend Kyrie mode.

Amd that obvious sense of entitlement, ‘I’m a superstar so I’m just going to take the next few games off’ and multiple other examples all go back to his inflated ego. He thinks he’s better than everyone else both as a player and as a person. He’s a narcissist.

Kyrie's ego's so big, I don't even think he even ranks himself as a player. I really truly believe he sees himself as a generational personality type of figure within the game, a generational type figure within the 21st-century culture. His ego is bigger than the game can hold. :lol:

oh i can totally see him officially changing his name to just "Kyrie" . or "King" or some social justice reference term. Or just have some symbol like Prince did one time.

oh the net fans definitely are still in defend-Kyrie mode. It'll change after July.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,440

Post#123 » by Big J » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:48 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:Hedo Turkoglu

Don't see it. Hedo was pretty talented player.

His post-career behavior is awful, but I don't recall anything too bad when he was playing.

He did seem to fall off a cliff as he aged and changed teams, but lots of guys do that.

Hedo was a freaking bad ass. Plus the guy had humongous balls. He hit so many clutch shots during that finals run the Magic made.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,036

Post#124 » by Capn'O » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:49 am

Hezonja, Jimmer, and Waiters are obvious winners.

"Chuck Morris" Almond is another one.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,036

Post#125 » by Capn'O » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:50 am

GI_Slow wrote:Shabazz Muhammad maybe? turns down 4yr 40 million after posting this beautiful stat: "Among 462 qualified players in 2015–16, Muhammad ranked 461st in ESPN's "Defensive Real Plus-Minus" statistic, ahead of only J.J. Barea".

Reported for trolling Texas Chuck
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Joshuan3
Senior
And1: 178

Post#126 » by Joshuan3 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:54 am

Ben Gordon
Reverend X
Freshman
And1: 103

Post#127 » by Reverend X » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:29 am

Carlos Boozer
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#128 » by LesGrossman » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:07 am

Technically not an NBA player but...theres a guy who would come off the bench in his hood's recreational 3rd league while thinking and claiming he'd beat MJ 1on1. Can it become any worse? Of course talking about LaVar Ball.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
kobe24_818
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#129 » by kobe24_818 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:11 am

Smush parker
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,134

Post#130 » by Hellcrooner » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:10 am

Cubbies2120 wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:Allen iverson.
He felt entitled to take far too many shots and had too much of an ego for what his actual talent was.

You could apply this same statement to Kobe for the last 3 years of his career after his injury.

To put it in perspective, he averaged the same # of shots per game in 2013 (shot 46.3% from field) as he did in 2015 (shot 37.3% from field). His ego didn't let him shoot less despite him having clearly fallen off as a player from a few years prior.

yeah .
probably.
you took me for a kobe stan?
too bad for you.
Im not.

neverthless Kobes skills where closer to his ego than iversons to his.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Onlytimewilltel
Veteran
And1: 3,413

Post#131 » by Onlytimewilltel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:41 am

The_Hater wrote:If we’re going to mention star players too, Kyrie needs to be included. His level of self entitlement is something I’ve never seen before in the NBA.

Pierce and Shaq have unfortunately both taken their extra large egos to the broadcast booth with very negative results.

At least Shaq sort of has a right, being an all time great. Pierce was much more cringy as he was a solid player but not a top 10 guy like Shaq. And yea, I think Shaq is horrible on TV and needs to go lol so not addressing that. Just that this is ego compared to talent. Shaq had the talent. That’s all.
NBA FAN 4 life
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#132 » by NBA FAN 4 life » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:04 am

eddie house celebrated every 3pt like a game winner
Onlytimewilltel
Veteran

Post#133 » by Onlytimewilltel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:33 am

Tim Lehrbach wrote:
Beethoven wrote:Charles Oakley wasn't really talented was a fake tough guy and biggest ego

Well, tbh, there are quite a few rough 'n tumble 90s players who belong here. Buncha dudes who thought they could scrap and therefore thought that made them something. Like wtf was Andrew DeClercq doing in the NBA?

Starting alongside prime T-Mac? Lol

No wonder
The dude was being called second round virgin
Onlytimewilltel
Veteran

Post#134 » by Onlytimewilltel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:37 am

Wallace_Wallace wrote:Star player wise, Carmelo Anthony refused to entertain the idea that he might be in the 2nd unit. Always complaining about his player ranking when it's usually justified. He feels very entitled overall.

That’s a good one. “Who me? Off the bench?? Eyoo P, they want me to come off the bench!!!!l “

Loser
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,507

Post#135 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:45 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:Ricky 'I thought they brought LeBron in to give me the ball' Davis. Isaiah Thomas(the newer one just to clear up any confusion). Paul Pierce even though he's probably a top 50 player of all time(the whole 2 minutes where whoever it was read off all of Wade's accomplishments and compared them to Pierce while he just sits there and says nothing is some of the greatest reality tv comedy of all time). There were a lot of guys in that 1995-2010 era who belong in a thread like this.

Actually original IT is a great one as an exec...
Onlytimewilltel
Veteran

Post#136 » by Onlytimewilltel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:45 am

gottamakeit wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:Hedo Turkoglu

His post-career behavior is awful, but I don't recall anything too bad when he was playing.

He did seem to fall off a cliff as he aged and changed teams, but lots of guys do that.

What post career behavior?
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,507

Post#137 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:46 am

JN61 wrote:Steve Francis gotta be up there.

Dude did have two top 10 VORP years, and I think the old calculation was higher.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#138 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:48 am

Onlytimewilltel wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:

What post career behavior?

Vociferously supporting his country's evil dictator.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Onlytimewilltel
Veteran

Post#139 » by Onlytimewilltel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:50 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
JN61 wrote:Steve Francis gotta be up there.

Dude did have two top 10 VORP years, and I think the old calculation was higher.

Yea prime Francis was pretty damn good.
HollowEarth
Starter
And1: 2,071

Post#140 » by HollowEarth » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:33 am

turnaroundJ wrote:Forget scrubs. Among stars, I present Mr. Paul Pierce. A great man once said, "They don't love you like that."

Paul Pierce wasn't as good as Paul Pierce thought, but it's normal for all stars to have big egos. That kind of confidence is almost a prerequisite for that level of success. Pierce was a 10x All Star, 4x All NBA, 4x top 10 in win shares, a Finals MVP, and for a while arguably the most skilled player in the game.

Return to The General Board