what is about this Damian Jones dude

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,720

what is about this Damian Jones dude 

Post#1 » by TinmanZBoy » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:35 am

This is his third team of this season, seems dude can not hold on a roaster, but surprisingly, he has been starting for Lakers and Kings this season... not mention a couple of season ago was starting for Champ Warriors...
what's about this cameo starter thing with him
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,109

Re: what is about this Damian Jones dude 

Post#2 » by art_tatum » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:43 am

Athletic, extremely quick jump/2nd jump.

Dumb basketball IQ though.
Also was injured early i think
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,594

Post#3 » by dc » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:46 am

He's an athletic big with an NBA body but just isn't that great of a basketball player. Looks great dunking in the layup line and he can throw some a few down during the game, but overall he's just not great at 5 on 5 NBA basketball. Nice kid and all, but he's likely a career fringe player.

Best case scenario for him is he works on his game and eventually finds a Dedmon like role in the future, but that's kind of being optimistic.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,594

Post#4 » by dc » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:47 am

art_tatum wrote:Athletic, extremely quick jump/2nd jump.

He's torn his pec twice. Once during the NBA combine and another time during the middle of a season. I think that did impede him, but again, he's just not a very good player at the NBA level.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,720

Post#5 » by TinmanZBoy » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:48 am

in current Kings, why not just start whiteside... I don't understand this cameo starter thing, only play 5 minutes, probably gone for the rest of the game..
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#6 » by Dr Aki » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:50 am

just an athlete, not a basketballer
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,082

Post#7 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:32 am

If you're good enough to start on those teams then you should be able to stick around. Don't get how you can go from starting to not being considered as a top 15 player.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#8 » by The_Hater » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:35 am

TinmanZBoy wrote:This is his third team of this season, seems dude can not hold on a roaster, but surprisingly, he has been starting for Lakers and Kings this season... not mention a couple of season ago was starting for Champ Warriors...
what's about this cameo starter thing with him

Cameo starters are often used to make sure the better player behind them doesn’t get in early foul trouble. And sometime they’re used so the bench rotation remains intact.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater

Post#9 » by The_Hater » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:44 am

Tor_Raps wrote:If you're good enough to start on those teams then you should be able to stick around. Don't get how you can go from starting to not being considered as a top 15 player.

Contract status. Age. Potential. How they performed, and maybe they’re just a short term Injury replacement.

It might also be safe to say that Jones isnt better than Holmes and Whiteside in Sacramento and wasn’t better then Harrell, Gasol and now Drummond with LAL.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,082

Post#10 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:49 am

The_Hater wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:If you're good enough to start on those teams then you should be able to stick around. Don't get how you can go from starting to not being considered as a top 15 player.

Contract status. Age. Potential. How they performed, and maybe they’re just a short term Injury replacement.

It might also be safe to say that Jones isnt better than Holmes and Whiteside in Sacramento and wasn’t better then Harrell, Gasol and now Drummond with LAL.

Agree with that but I mean he should be able to stick around as the 3rd center in those cases. Being a starter to being waived right away seems extreme. Like there aren't 14 guys better to play those minutes?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#11 » by clyde21 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:52 am

dude is a great athlete, but bbiq is very, very low...hated watching him play because you can tell he has all the physical talent but just doesn't have a bball mind at all.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#12 » by Warriors Analyst » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:56 am

Jones is not smart at all. He racks up blocks and counting stats because even when he makes mistakes, there's a chance he's quick enough to recover. But he's a very dumb player.
The_Hater

Post#13 » by The_Hater » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:12 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Agree with that but I mean he should be able to stick around as the 3rd center in those cases. Being a starter to being waived right away seems extreme. Like there aren't 14 guys better to play those minutes?

Depends who the current 3rd Center is, the contract status of that 3rd Center, the potential of that 3rd Center or if the team even wants to keep a 3rd Center in their roster.

I don’t think there’s ever been a situation where a team cut Jones and that fanbase was surprised or upset. He’s a fringe NBAer.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,216

Post#14 » by lambchop » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:55 am

Seems like the kind of player that could play in the euroleague for 3 seasons and then come back and be a rotational piece
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
VancouverRaps
Head Coach
And1: 12,852

Post#15 » by VancouverRaps » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:09 am

lambchop wrote:Seems like the kind of player that could play in the euroleague for 3 seasons and then come back and be a rotational piece

I feel like some of these kinds of guys would benefit greatly from playing in Europe where passing/fundamentals seem to be more focused on. Helps make them more well rounded players instead of bouncing between 10 day contracts and the g-league and trying to make the NBA based on athleticism/hustle alone. Obviously some guys are just limited due to having less natural abilities/instincts so there's only so much they can improve on when it comes to weaknesses.
We the Champs
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,142

Post#16 » by Chandan » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:12 am

name is too close to damon jones.
imagine someone named adolth Hilter would have trouble with jobs.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,685

Post#17 » by Up-And-Coming » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:27 am

lambchop wrote:Seems like the kind of player that could play in the euroleague for 3 seasons and then come back and be a rotational piece

He has the talent. He can pull a Whiteside and develop in the G League or elsewhere like you said and come back to the NBA. Hassan even cracked an All Star nod which is very impressive
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#18 » by sacking123 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:16 am

You are thinking of Marvin Bagley.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,336

Post#19 » by _qubik » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:09 pm

aka learn to play basketball to be more than a pogo stick
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,257

Post#20 » by heezyo2o » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:15 pm

Only got time on the lakers because of injury

Return to The General Board