As a Jokic Homer tonight I Watched Embiid for the First Time Seriously

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,074
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: As a Jokic Homer tonight I Watched Embiid for the First Time Seriously 

Post#81 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:22 am

TTP wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Joel’s only weakness is thst some games he wants to prove he can shoot and dribble and other useless things instead of just overpowering people inside. It might be good for his health long term though.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

This argument was better in past years when he wasn't shooting elite percentages from mid-range. It's not like he's settling for inefficient shots early in the shot clock frequently - he's constantly passing up wide open 3s early in the clock for something better. He uses the mid-range well to setup his drives and draw fouls. Defenders have no idea whether he's going to drive to the rim or pull up for a jumper.

He's shooting 47.3% from 10-16 ft and 57.0% from 16 ft to the 3PT line. That's Dirk-like mid-range efficiency.

He absolutely can shoot and dribble this year - his faceup game is arguably the biggest reason for his transformation into a completely unstoppable force. Posting up more would arguably make him even less efficient, drain more stamina, and put him in worse position to defend transition.

Maybe. He takes more shots from 3-10, and 10-16 than any other spot on the floor, and still averages more turnovers than assists despite being a pretty decent passer and ball handler. I feel like he still gets caught being cute with the ball too much sometimes.

He’s still my MVP if not for games missed this season. I’m super high on his development this year.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#82 » by TTP » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:56 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:
TTP wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Joel’s only weakness is thst some games he wants to prove he can shoot and dribble and other useless things instead of just overpowering people inside. It might be good for his health long term though.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

This argument was better in past years when he wasn't shooting elite percentages from mid-range. It's not like he's settling for inefficient shots early in the shot clock frequently - he's constantly passing up wide open 3s early in the clock for something better. He uses the mid-range well to setup his drives and draw fouls. Defenders have no idea whether he's going to drive to the rim or pull up for a jumper.

He's shooting 47.3% from 10-16 ft and 57.0% from 16 ft to the 3PT line. That's Dirk-like mid-range efficiency.

He absolutely can shoot and dribble this year - his faceup game is arguably the biggest reason for his transformation into a completely unstoppable force. Posting up more would arguably make him even less efficient, drain more stamina, and put him in worse position to defend transition.

Maybe. He takes more shots from 3-10, and 10-16 than any other spot on the floor, and still averages more turnovers than assists despite being a pretty decent passer and ball handler. I feel like he still gets caught being cute with the ball too much sometimes.

He’s still my MVP if not for games missed this season. I’m super high on his development this year.

I think assists are underrated in Embiid's case because he gets a lot of hockey assists when he draws a double, passes out, and the ball is swung around the perimeter to the opposite side. He doesn't get credit for an assist on those, but it's obviously super valuable in our offense and he's the one creating the separation for whichever shooter ends up getting the open shot. He's handling doubles a lot better this year. His turnover rate is down substantially from where it was when he came into the league.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,324

Post#83 » by CoP » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:01 am

Embiid is an absolute beast this season, best he's ever been. If he hadn't missed those games, he would be the lock for MVP. Even missing them it's close.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#84 » by Black Mage » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:06 am

Dupp wrote:
Black Mage wrote:I won't fault you for your argument, but you also forget Embiid anchors the defense while ALSO doing all of that offensively. Jokic can't even pretend to be able to carry water on both ends. Embiid should win it.

Embiid anchors the bench 30% of the time. He shouldn’t come Close to winning it.

Welp, since Embiid plays both offense and defense that makes him twice the player of Jokic who is a one trick pony. Jokic should have to play twice as many games to match up to the effort Embiid puts in! 8-)
NADALalot
Senior
And1: 352

Post#85 » by NADALalot » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:00 pm

Black Mage wrote:I won't fault you for your argument, but you also forget Embiid anchors the defense while ALSO doing all of that offensively. Jokic can't even pretend to be able to carry water on both ends. Embiid should win it.

Philly conceded only 102.8ppg in the 10 game stretch that Embiid missed.
Whereas on the season, Philly are conceding 108.4ppg.
Philly would be an elite defensive team with or without Embiid.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,331

Post#86 » by Infinite Llamas » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:52 pm

I’m honestly just happy that there is a debate for best center in the NBA again. And not only best center, but arguably who has been the best in the league this year.

I’m a Jokic fanboy but I have nothing but respect for Embiid and I think the man is a monster. I also have high regards for Gobert and it’s a shame that some people foolishly believe that Mitchell has any leg to stand on as the best player of that team. It wouldn’t shock me if the stupid media gave more votes to Mitchell than they did Gobert.

My top 3 MVP are
1 Jokic
2 Embiid
3 Gobert

This is like the 90’s all over again with Dream, Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing all over again with centers dominating. I love it.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,407

Post#87 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:30 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:Embiid is a great player for sure, but he gets a lot of illegitimate calls. Jokic doesn't tend to get as favorable a whistle. Embiid is the better defensive player, but Jokic is a better all around offensive player.
He is the most physical player in the NBA
The others are Giannis and Zion. You're going to be marching to the line.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I don’t watch all of the sixers games but he shot about 8 free throws he didn’t deserve last night while PG couldn’t buy a call even though they were hacking and holding him all night long
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#88 » by MotownMadness » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:33 pm

Embiid is the MVP but he doesn't deserve it in my opinion due to sitting out games.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,180

Post#89 » by Mickey8 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:35 pm

You are not Jokic fan, the title of the thread is saying so much about you already.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,122

Post#90 » by eyeatoma » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:49 pm

Mickey8 wrote:You are not Jokic fan, the title of the thread is saying so much about you already.

Lol wait what? SInce when do we not appreciate other players? I didn't realize being a fan of one players means that you can't appreciate the qualities/abilities/talent of others.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,180

Post#91 » by Mickey8 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:55 pm

As soon you start the thread I this or that , that person is lying. I don't care if somebody admire this or that player. Just don't come up with threads like , as homer or the fan of , blah blah blah, you are fake :lol:
bballfan1three3
Senior
And1: 762

Post#92 » by bballfan1three3 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:40 pm

Black Mage wrote:
Dupp wrote:

Embiid anchors the bench 30% of the time. He shouldn’t come Close to winning it.

Welp, since Embiid plays both offense and defense that makes him twice the player of Jokic who is a one trick pony. Jokic should have to play twice as many games to match up to the effort Embiid puts in! 8-)

Not really, jokic still almost leads the league in steals he isnt Mason plumlee out there but yeah he isnt known for chasedown blocks or acrobatic defensive plays above the rim, more quick steals twice a game that force the opponent to hesitate a bit in the paint
bballfan1three3
Senior
And1: 762

Post#93 » by bballfan1three3 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:53 pm

Mickey8 wrote:You are not Jokic fan, the title of the thread is saying so much about you already.

Ti mluvish srpskii yazik? Yeah ok buddy
HEKTOR
Veteran
And1: 1,323

Post#94 » by HEKTOR » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:42 pm

bballfan1three3 wrote:

Ti mluvish srpskii yazik? Yeah ok buddy

Turkish?
gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Post#95 » by gorz » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:24 pm

Sgt Major wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Sgt Major wrote:Philly has been winning without Embiid. Without Jokic, the Nuggets would be at the bottom of the west.

Embiid has missed the games vs:

DEN x2
UTA
NYK
MIL
LAL
LAC
MEM x2

That's too many missed games vs playoff teams.

LOL, the Nuggets fans are starting to get desperate now, they can see the writing on the wall.

Why would any Nuggets fan be desperate? Jokic is leading the polls by a landslide, everyone knows he's winning this. We're just chit-chatting for the sake of chit-chatting, nothing else.

And this coming from a guy who spends hours and hours posting irrelevant information trying to picture Embiid as the MVP is hilarious.

If this is true..this is highway robbery. Had Embiid put up exact numbers but sixers were meddling 5th or 6th seed that's one thing or had Jokic put up his exact numbers while carrying Denver nuggets to a #1 seed than you could say this is runaway mvp.. Embiid has been great from the beginning of season to now while jokic started off the season slow and only picked it up as season progressed. They gave luka the rookie of year over Trae for exact reason despite Trae finishing the season stronger than luka bc luka was consistently good from start to finish. I hope the nba doesn't do Embiid dirty like that.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,485

Post#96 » by Pelly24 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:11 pm

Jokic is every bit as good or better than Embiid. He's not even in a system that completely maximizes him yet. Jokic is like a LeBron/Harden/Bird kind of player.
Message Boar
Veteran
And1: 1,688

Post#97 » by Message Boar » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:41 pm

Let me preface this by saying that I think Jokic should win the MVP handily if season carries on without any dramatic unexpected twists.

But it's been kind of amusing watching Nuggets fans' sphincters tighten as they feel there's a chance the voters might go back to Embiid. With Murray out, they know their chances at a title are slim to none. So a Joker MVP = their title this year, and it sounds like they're starting to feel there's a chance -however small- that it might slip through their fingers. The meltdown if it happens is gonna be insane, lol.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#98 » by eyeatoma » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:44 pm

Message Boar wrote:Let me preface this by saying that I think Jokic should win the MVP handily if season carries on without any dramatic unexpected twists.

But it's been kind of amusing watching Nuggets fans' sphincters tighten as they feel there's a chance the voters might go back to Embiid. With Murray out, they know their chances at a title are slim to none. So a Joker MVP = their title this year, and it sounds like they're starting to feel there's a chance -however small- that it might slip through their fingers. The meltdown if it happens is gonna be insane, lol.

It's been enjoyable to watch.
Sharkboy242
Veteran
And1: 3,813

Post#99 » by Sharkboy242 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:47 pm

Message Boar wrote:Let me preface this by saying that I think Jokic should win the MVP handily if season carries on without any dramatic unexpected twists.

Yeah its so funny that Murray got hurt haha

everyone's laughing.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#100 » by eyeatoma » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:55 pm

Sharkboy242 wrote:

Yeah its so funny that Murray got hurt haha

everyone's laughing.

Did he say that? Stop being so sensitive.

Return to The General Board