Who would you rather have for next 5 years, Embiid or Jokic?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Embiid
18%
Jokic
82%

Total votes: 103

dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#1 » by dygaction » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:03 am

Let's put MVP aside, say build a team around. Embiid for his two way play, or Jokic for his offense and durability?
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,954

Re: Who would you rather have for next 5 years, Embiid or Jokic? 

Post#2 » by Optms » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:05 am

If both remained healthy and I had a guarantee, Embiid easily. Having that defensive anchor pays big time in the playoffs as I saw with AD. Its invaluable.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,886

Post#3 » by tmorgan » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:09 am

If my goal is a title, with no other knowledge of players I have or anything else, the answer is Embiid.

That said, we’d surely average more wins per season with Jokic, as Joel is going to miss a lot of time. He might even miss whole seasons. Still, Embiid, with his fairly unstoppable game inside the line and far superior defense, is the biggest ceiling raiser, and that’s going to lead to a greater average number of titles, injuries or not.

Now if you add that I get front row seats to all the games and have to attend, I might pick Jokic anyway. So fun to watch.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#4 » by dygaction » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:19 am

Optms wrote:If both remained healthy and I had a guarantee, Embiid easily. Having that defensive anchor pays big time in the playoffs as I saw with AD. Its invaluable.

no, based on what you know and existing data right now.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,954

Post#5 » by Optms » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:23 am

dygaction wrote:
Optms wrote:If both remained healthy and I had a guarantee, Embiid easily. Having that defensive anchor pays big time in the playoffs as I saw with AD. Its invaluable.

no, based on what you know and existing data right now.

Probably Jokic then but its close. Because in my mind I view Embiid as the more valuable player to a title team.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,856

Post#6 » by Dutchball97 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:23 am

Embiid has been decent but not amazing in the play-offs, while Jokic has been lights out whenever he plays in the post-season. Untill Embiid starts stepping his play up in the play-offs I don't see this as much of a discussion.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,886

Post#7 » by tmorgan » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:26 am

Dutchball97 wrote:Embiid has been decent but not amazing in the play-offs, while Jokic has been lights out whenever he plays in the post-season. Untill Embiid starts stepping his play up in the play-offs I don't see this as much of a discussion.

Not sure that’s really fair to Embiid with all the weird ass rosters he’s been on in Philly. I’m assuming we know nothing else about the roster and Embiid isn’t saddled with a co-star that won’t shoot and not enough reliable outside shooters most years.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,856

Post#8 » by Dutchball97 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:36 am

tmorgan wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:Embiid has been decent but not amazing in the play-offs, while Jokic has been lights out whenever he plays in the post-season. Untill Embiid starts stepping his play up in the play-offs I don't see this as much of a discussion.

Not sure that’s really fair to Embiid with all the weird ass rosters he’s been on in Philly. I’m assuming we know nothing else about the roster and Embiid isn’t saddled with a co-star that won’t shoot and not enough reliable outside shooters most years.

I don't think that is much of an argument. Jokic had no semblance of perimeter defense on his team last year and still somehow beat the Jazz AND Clippers.

Embiid in 17/18: ranks worse than Saric, McConnell and Simmons.
Embiid in 18/19: ranks worse than Butler, Harris and Simmons.
Embiid in 19/20: finally the best player on his own team but doesn't say much in a first round sweep.

Even known play-off chokers like Dame and PG13 are more reliable and consistent in the post-season than Embiid as of now, while Jokic is already among the best play-off performers in the league.
USWAY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,140

Post#9 » by USWAY » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:44 am

I mean, in theory you'd rather have the guy who's top two in ORPM @ center, shouldering the load offensively, but still maintains elite defense with a top 10 DRPM @ the posistion. Over the guy who's #1 ORPM, shouldering the load offensively but has a negative DRPM and ranks 57th @ the posistion.

Yet, this feels like another one of those threads where we talk about Embiid's injuries. Because it's tough to take him with his track record there.You worry about how long his window is
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,180

Post#10 » by Statlanta » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:45 am

Jokic. The way Embiid gets his foul calls I don’t see him holding up for my championship run in 5 years.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#11 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:03 am

I voted Jokic and not just because he's a Nugget. My biggest reason is because Embiid has trouble staying off the injured list. He seems to miss around 25% of their games. If one of those injuries is in the playoffs ...
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,971

Post#12 » by p0peye » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:13 am

We're talkking about _next_ 5 years. This is where injuries and diminishing athleticism start determining performance. Easily Jokic.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#13 » by FinnTheHuman » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:50 am

The way I see it, there's no way to slow Jokic down meaningfully in the post-season, while there is a way to slow Embiid down meaningfully. If you put a big enough body on Embiid, suddenly he can't move the guy that easily like he's moving these fake centers with no size that the starting lineups in the league are full of. And then you don't have to foul him, and the refs don't have to give him all these absurd amounts of calls. Also, you can double him with less negative consequences because he sucks at passing out of them. I think Embiid is the biggest benefactor of the current state of the Center position where you can get away with having less size against anybody except Philly basically. Eastern contenders are gonna stockpile some big bodies to slow him down.

Think Embiid is gonna have the same fate as Harden in the playoffs, the calls will disappear and the production will be down compared to the regular season as soon as he runs onto a good enough 1 on 1 defensive center.

So no, I don't take Jokic just because he's more durable, I take him because he's unguardable in any circumstance, unlike Embiid.
brettski
Analyst
And1: 1,731

Post#14 » by brettski » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:05 am

I would vote Embiid because the refs gift him fouls. He's a protected species.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Mark my words....Gooden will be this year's teams MVP. Watch and see.....

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1139340&start=15&p=29252753&view=show#p29252753
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#15 » by DCasey91 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:21 am

I truely believe Jokic’s championship equity is super highly questionable (non rim protection big is asking for trouble especially in any circumstance).

Whereas Embiid has the hallmark of a dominate big who hasn’t even had a real quality pg or sg.
(Raptors bench had vanvleet,ibaka, Powell,og etc, the starters wasn’t the problem, Ben kept Leonard from doing game 1 for all of the games and Siakam wasn’t great, our bench was worst in comp bad, Raptors bench had 8-9 starter lvl players, lit us up.)

As long as the scoring rate is high with Embiid you have a monster two way player that anchors your teams defense.

So in essence having 2-3 legitimate shots at the pie provided the team is supposed to be what an NBA team should be or one that’s an offensive savant but is the Steve Nash of Centers?
Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,384

Post#16 » by Hussien Fatal » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:05 pm

tmorgan wrote:If my goal is a title, with no other knowledge of players I have or anything else, the answer is Embiid.

That said, we’d surely average more wins per season with Jokic, as Joel is going to miss a lot of time. He might even miss whole seasons. Still, Embiid, with his fairly unstoppable game inside the line and far superior defense, is the biggest ceiling raiser, and that’s going to lead to a greater average number of titles, injuries or not.

Now if you add that I get front row seats to all the games and have to attend, I might pick Jokic anyway. So fun to watch.

Lol not by many wins at all, despite missing 18 more games than Jokic, Joel only has 6 less wins.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Joel has as many wins as Jokic by seasons end.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,384

Post#17 » by Hussien Fatal » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:11 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:The way I see it, there's no way to slow Jokic down meaningfully in the post-season, while there is a way to slow Embiid down meaningfully. If you put a big enough body on Embiid, suddenly he can't move the guy that easily like he's moving these fake centers with no size that the starting lineups in the league are full of. And then you don't have to foul him, and the refs don't have to give him all these absurd amounts of calls. Also, you can double him with less negative consequences because he sucks at passing out of them. I think Embiid is the biggest benefactor of the current state of the Center position where you can get away with having less size against anybody except Philly basically. Eastern contenders are gonna stockpile some big bodies to slow him down.

Think Embiid is gonna have the same fate as Harden in the playoffs, the calls will disappear and the production will be down compared to the regular season as soon as he runs onto a good enough 1 on 1 defensive center.

So no, I don't take Jokic just because he's more durable, I take him because he's unguardable in any circumstance, unlike Embiid.

Lol look at Joel’s stats from last postseason. I shutter at the thought of him finally having a competent coaching staff heading into the post season.

As long as Jokic remains a non factor on defense or until they pair him with a defensive anchor, Denver will never be a true contender. Jokic is a hell of an offensive player but there are two sides to the ball. For example Dirk didn’t win anything until Dallas was smart enough to get a DPOTY center to play along side him.

If Jokic is incapable of playing power forward then they need a defensive savant at that position to be considered a true contender.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Kvothe22
Junior
And1: 378

Post#18 » by Kvothe22 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:52 pm

There is a bih difference between guys Like KD, Embiid etc VS guys Like Jokic, James, Doncic..

Can u guess whats the main difference ?
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,785

Post#19 » by RoyceDa59 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:01 pm

Jokic easily.
Go Raps!!
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#20 » by Sharcm1 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:56 pm

I went with Jokic. I feel like his offensive game is more polished and he’s a better teammate as far as passing and getting his team involved. Yes defense matters and I understand jokic doesn’t really play good defense. But I think embid’s defense is overrated. I’ve watched him play. I think as a team Philly are better defenders and that helps Embid a lot. And I don’t like his attitude. Jokic is the better player in my mind and I would start with him. Embid has a nice offensive game but a lot of his points come off free throws and idk why but a lot of those calls are kinda bs.

Return to The General Board