Joel Embiid is Eligible For MVP if he Plays 70% of His Teams Games.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,232

Re: Joel Embiid is Eligible For MVP if he Plays 70% of His Teams Games. 

Post#41 » by eyeatoma » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:34 pm

Harry Garris wrote:I think that a guy missing 30% or more of the season like Embiid will should only be disregarded if he's clearly better than the guy in second place. But Jokic and Embiid are basically tied in terms of impact. They are having equally amazing seasons. So in that case you have to take the guy who's played way more basketball.

Why the guy who has played more basketball has his team as an above average team, but the Nuggets aren't elite. The sixers are. And don't tell me that the Nuggets are only behind the sixers by 3 games. The sixers are also behind the Jazz by three games for top seed in the league.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#42 » by xdrta+ » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:49 pm

JimmyPlopper wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
JimmyPlopper wrote:
You can vote for inelligible players if you want to throw away your vote or make some kind of symbolic statement. You just can't win the award (even if you got the votes) unless you meet the eligibility requirements

Can anyone point to any rule that says that a player has to play a certain amount of minutes to be eligible to win MVP. Because Ive never heard of any before and searching right now, I cant find any evidence at all that shows there is a minimum requirement for the MVP.

You're right there probably isn't any formal requirements. I just wanted to poke hole in the idea that getting a vote meant that you are eligible to be selected. People vote for their own dog for mayor in some cases lol

Except you haven't poked a hole in anything with your silly analogy. The claim was there is a rule about 70% of games played. Obviously false.
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,557

Post#43 » by JimmyPlopper » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:58 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
JimmyPlopper wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Can anyone point to any rule that says that a player has to play a certain amount of minutes to be eligible to win MVP. Because Ive never heard of any before and searching right now, I cant find any evidence at all that shows there is a minimum requirement for the MVP.

You're right there probably isn't any formal requirements. I just wanted to poke hole in the idea that getting a vote meant that you are eligible to be selected. People vote for their own dog for mayor in some cases lol

Except you haven't poked a hole in anything with your silly analogy. The claim was there is a rule about 70% of games played. Obviously false.

I just needed to pointed out that your "evidence" of Lebron getting a vote isn't actually evidence at all. Whether there is a rule or not, that certainly isn't evidence.
you can't kill me - i was born dead
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#44 » by LloydFree » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:01 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:I think that a guy missing 30% or more of the season like Embiid will should only be disregarded if he's clearly better than the guy in second place. But Jokic and Embiid are basically tied in terms of impact. They are having equally amazing seasons. So in that case you have to take the guy who's played way more basketball.

Why the guy who has played more basketball has his team as an above average team, but the Nuggets aren't elite. The sixers are. And don't tell me that the Nuggets are only behind the sixers by 3 games. The sixers are also behind the Jazz by three games for top seed in the league.

And though Embiid has played 18 less games, he's only down 6 wins to the Joker. Joker is 36-20, while Embiid is 30-8.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,491

Post#45 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:15 pm

bballfan1three3 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:Heard this last night, he can only miss 4 more games to remain eligible as an mvp hopeful. I had no clue this was a rule but if he plays 54 out of 72 he can clearly win MVP especially if his team is in 1st place. Oh and he now has overtaken Jokic as the NBA’s leader in PER.

For those of you who thought he wasn’t eligible, well it turns out this a legit rule.

I don't know why you think there are eligibility "rules." There are no criteria for MVP. Sportswriters and broadcasters vote based on their own dispositions. It may be customary to not vote for someone who has less than a certain amount of games, but there are certainly no "legit" rules.

Actually there are. Just like if someone plays one game gets hot then injured and ends the season with a 85% shooting rate they are not the league leader, you have to play at least 2/3 or 1/2 the season. Like right now there are bench players with better shooting totals than the league leaders but bc they have only played a handful of games but the nba doesn't count them as eligible when you search for best shooters.

This analogy doesn't make sense.

Game/Minute minimums exist only for rate stats - PPG, FG%, etc. When you're talking about something that gets accumulated over as many games as you play, like value, there's absolutely no reason to be thinking in these terms.

People are trying to say "Like Walton!", but Walton didn't win because he broke some threshold, he won because he was drastically more valuable than everyone else in a way that Embiid certainly isn't right now. (I would say Embiid has tougher competition to be clear.)
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!

Return to The General Board