Will Curry finish in the top 5 MVP voting?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Will Curry finish in the top 5 MVP voting?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:01 am

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 69

Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,517

Re: Will Curry finish in the top 5 MVP voting? 

Post#41 » by Michael Lucky » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:53 am

Embiid, Jokic, and Giannis are above Steph. I would place Steph 4th. I finish my top 5 with Doncic. The rest of the big names like Durant, Harden, Lebron have all missed too many games for me to include them.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,796

Post#42 » by michaelm » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:55 am

WarriorGM wrote:
dygaction wrote:
JN61 wrote:
Stop it. Blazers need playmaker. Curry is not that. He is all time scorer but not as good playmaker as Lillard what Blazers actually need.

What are you smoking? They have similar average 6.6apg and Curry peaked at 8.7 vs. Lillard's 8.0. Curry had three seasons per 100 poss >11 assists, but Lillard had none. The only reason Curry is not averaging more is because he is all time great in playing off the ball as well. Repeating 100 times does not make Lillard a better playmaker than Curry.

JN61 has become one of the most regular posting Curry haters around here. The others have pulled back because they want to preserve some semblance of credibility but, having and1'd Pharmcat's introductory post to the "Stephen Curry has been totally exposed" thread, he's decided there's not much more to lose on that front and to go all-in on the outrageousness.

The contention Lillard is a better playmaker is hysterical. Curry is not only a better playmaker than Lillard by far, Curry is arguably the greatest playmaker of all-time.

It is not hysterical because Lillard is also a great player. Not as good as Curry imo, and little evidence for him being so unless something which seems quite unlikely currently happens in the rest of this season. If he gets the Blazers to the play-offs and takes them some distance once there that will be fairly significant achievement.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,694

Post#43 » by WarriorGM » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:11 pm

michaelm wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
dygaction wrote:
What are you smoking? They have similar average 6.6apg and Curry peaked at 8.7 vs. Lillard's 8.0. Curry had three seasons per 100 poss >11 assists, but Lillard had none. The only reason Curry is not averaging more is because he is all time great in playing off the ball as well. Repeating 100 times does not make Lillard a better playmaker than Curry.

JN61 has become one of the most regular posting Curry haters around here. The others have pulled back because they want to preserve some semblance of credibility but, having and1'd Pharmcat's introductory post to the "Stephen Curry has been totally exposed" thread, he's decided there's not much more to lose on that front and to go all-in on the outrageousness.

The contention Lillard is a better playmaker is hysterical. Curry is not only a better playmaker than Lillard by far, Curry is arguably the greatest playmaker of all-time.

It is not hysterical because Lillard is also a great player. Not as good as Curry imo, and little evidence for him being so unless something which seems quite unlikely currently happens in the rest of this season. If he gets the Blazers to the play-offs and takes them some distance once there that will be fairly significant achievement.

Not sure what point you're addressing here. Is Lillard a great player? Sure. But as great as he is, a comparison with Curry is a borderline affront to Curry. Would you say comparing DeMar DeRozan or Kyle Lowry to LeBron James is a fair comparison? Because that's arguably the kind of gap we're talking about.

This is a favorite tactic of those who are trying to deny Curry's greatness. Curry deniers always attempt to compare him with players that while great, aren't quite as accomplished as he is in the hope of diminishing Curry by association. There's no reason to indulge them.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,978

Post#44 » by Optms » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:25 pm

He's been top 5 all year. The fact that he's carrying a bottom 3 team to playoff contention in the loaded West is insane. No other player is more valuable to their team success.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#45 » by michaelm » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:27 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
michaelm wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

Not sure what point you're addressing here. Is Lillard a great player? Sure. But as great as he is, a comparison with Curry is a borderline affront to Curry. Would you say comparing DeMar DeRozan or Kyle Lowry to LeBron James is a fair comparison? Because that's arguably the kind of gap we're talking about.

I just don't like to rubbish other great players, you clearly do. Lillard has done a good carry job with an injury hit team this year, and is better than DeRozan or Lowry, again imo. Lebron is a red herring as you must know.

Sure, the argument about Curry not being a good playmaker because his off ball skills are such as to demand utilisation is specious, like the repeated argument by one particular poster that Curry should not be regarded as the all time best shooter because he does not take enough long 2 point shots, an inefficient shot compared to other options he usually has.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#46 » by WarriorGM » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:34 pm

michaelm wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
michaelm wrote:It is not hysterical because Lillard is also a great player. Not as good as Curry imo, and little evidence for him being so unless something which seems quite unlikely currently happens in the rest of this season. If he gets the Blazers to the play-offs and takes them some distance once there that will be fairly significant achievement.

I just don't like to rubbish other great players, you clearly do. Lillard has done a good carry job with an injury hit team this year, and is better than DeRozan or Lowry, again imo. Lebron is a red herring as you must know.

Sure, the argument about Curry not being a good playmaker because his off ball skills are such as to demand utilisation is specious, like the repeated argument by one particular poster that Curry should not be regarded as the all time best shooter because he does not take enough long 2 point shots, an inefficient shot compared to other options he usually has.

Please explain how I am rubbishing Lillard. The record simply indicates that Curry is that good. Why that isn't obvious to you you'll have to explain especially given the parallel I am drawing.

If my comparison of DeRozan or Lowry to LeBron is a red herring then that would equally apply to a comparison of Lillard to Curry —which was my original point.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#47 » by michaelm » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:52 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
michaelm wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

Please explain how I am rubbishing Lillard. The record simply indicates that Curry is that good. Why that isn't obvious to you you'll have to explain especially given the parallel I am drawing.

If my comparison of DeRozan or Lowry to LeBron is a red herring then that would equally apply to a comparison of Lillard to Curry —which was my original point.

I objected to the the word hysterical. Curry speaks for himself anyway, he doesn't need you all over every thread on this and the GSW board in your self appointed role as judge of the the fervor of other Curry fans.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#48 » by michaelm » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:53 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
michaelm wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

I objected to the the word hysterical. Curry speaks for himself anyway, he doesn't need you all over every thread on this and the GSW board in your self appointed role as judge of the fervor of other Curry fans.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#49 » by WarriorGM » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:04 pm

michaelm wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
michaelm wrote:I just don't like to rubbish other great players, you clearly do. Lillard has done a good carry job with an injury hit team this year, and is better than DeRozan or Lowry, again imo. Lebron is a red herring as you must know.

I objected to the the word hysterical. Curry speaks for himself anyway, he doesn't need you all over every thread on this and the GSW board in your self appointed role as judge of the fervor of other Curry fans.

I speak for myself. I do not pretend to speak for Curry. Nor do I pretend to speak for the other Warriors fans around here. If you think I'm trying to speak for you maybe it's because you are too silent even given all your words.

You have still not explained why my comparison is not apt.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,849

Post#50 » by Marrrcuss » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:11 pm

This is the first year winning doesn't matter, huh
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,694

Post#51 » by Roger Murdock » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:00 pm

He should be second Embiid has been amazing but he’s played half his teams minutes and their win % with him is the same as without him. Incredible season and all that but he’s not added enough wins to get MVP IMO

There’s no question if you took the best player off each team and had them play which teams record drops the hardest. This is a 12-16 win team and the worst in the NBA without Steph and an average team with him. That’s basically the definition of value. Then you add in that he’s arguably been the best overall player this season. Top 5 is a no brainer.
BFitzMoney
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#52 » by BFitzMoney » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:07 pm

JN61 wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
LarsV8 wrote:
Anyone with an above .500 record.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet Steph still haunts you with his game 6 decimation in Houston.

Oh yes because we should just hand out MVPs to players with sub .500 records... Where are standards today..

Absolutely nobody in this thread is saying Curry should come in first place for voting. But to disregard what the man is doing because his team is trash makes me think he hurt your feelings by thrashing your team in the past.
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,450

Post#53 » by AbeVigodaLive » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:08 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:This is the first year winning doesn't matter, huh

Not exactly.

It's been since Barkley in 1988 on a 36 - 46 team that a top 5 finisher has been from a losing team. Kevin Love came the closest since... finishing 6th while on a 26 - 40 team in 2012.

Many players, however, have finished in the top 5 on 42 or 43 win teams, most recently when Wade came in 3rd on a 43-39 team and Bryant came in 3rd on a 42-40 team.

With just how crazy this season is... and with several key MVP candidates missing significant games due to injury and/or tanking while demanding a trade... I think Curry justifies his place in the top 5 if he and the Warriors can continue what they're doing and hover at .500 or above.

It helps that he's not just having a great season. He's having a historically great season.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,603

Post#54 » by Bergmaniac » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:21 pm

He should, but a lot of the MVP voters aren't the sharpest tools in the drawer and are obsessed with team record while ignoring all the other factors so there is a good chance it won't happen.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#55 » by TTP » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:22 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:He should be second Embiid has been amazing but he’s played half his teams minutes and their win % with him is the same as without him. Incredible season and all that but he’s not added enough wins to get MVP IMO

There’s no question if you took the best player off each team and had them play which teams record drops the hardest. This is a 12-16 win team and the worst in the NBA without Steph and an average team with him. That’s basically the definition of value. Then you add in that he’s arguably been the best overall player this season. Top 5 is a no brainer.

What at the bolded? The Sixers are 30-8 with Embiid and 9-9 without Embiid. They literally go from a 41 win pace without Embiid to a 65 win pace with Embiid.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#56 » by The_Hater » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:31 pm

He will be if they get back over .500, especially with all the superstar injuries, but I can’t remember the last time a player from a sub-500 team was top 5.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#57 » by The_Hater » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:32 pm

TTP wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:He should be second Embiid has been amazing but he’s played half his teams minutes and their win % with him is the same as without him. Incredible season and all that but he’s not added enough wins to get MVP IMO

What at the bolded? The Sixers are 30-8 with Embiid and 9-9 without Embiid. They literally go from a 41 win pace without Embiid to a 65 win pace with Embiid.

Lol. Doing 30 seconds of research would have helped him out on that one.....
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,694

Post#58 » by Roger Murdock » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:34 pm

TTP wrote:

Wow I was way wrong. I googled ‘sizers record without Embiid’ and found a post from a few weeks ago that said 7-3 and I didn’t dive in much deeper.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#59 » by lars_rosenberg » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:38 pm

clyde21 wrote:Steph ORPM is at 10.53...2nd place in ORPM is Dame at 6.57...

to show how insane this is...the difference between Steph and Dame in ORPM is equal to the difference between Dame and the #37 player in ORPM (Ja)...this doesn't even make sense.
Absolutely amazing for a player that was "totally exposed".
AntMo22
Ballboy
And1: 26

Post#60 » by AntMo22 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:39 pm

JN61 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
LarsV8 wrote:better not

other than Jokic/Embiid who should be ahead of Steph?

LeBron, Lillard, Giannis, Harden, possibly Paul.

Lakers w/o bron: 7-9
Blazers w/o lillard: 3-0
Bucks w/o Giannis: 5-4
Nets w/o Harden : 5-3 (only after trade)
Suns w/o CP3: 1-0
Warriors w/o Steph: 1-7
Coxy wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:I've said this in many Monta/Bogut based trades in the past... but for the Bucks to consider trading Andrew to GS, we have to be talking Steph Curry, not Monta.

Fine.

Curry/Biedrins for Bogut/Filler. Done and done.

Return to The General Board