Just curious.....(empty stats/ Steph&Zion)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,247

Re: Just curious.....(empty stats/ Steph&Zion) 

Post#21 » by xdrta+ » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:09 pm

GYK wrote:If the player is liked they aren’t empty. Possibility of actual analysis to why they are losing is applied. Possibly not as everyone else might just get the shaft. Either way people recognize greatness if they are liked.(being liked is huge. you can be worse and seen in such great lights simply because of favoritism).

If they aren’t liked they are empty. Pretty simple.

Not liked by whom? I see a lot of people on here that don't like like Curry, they claim a lot of flaws for him, but empty stats never seems to be one of them.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Post#22 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:19 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:I never accused anyone of having empty stats but I see it here a lot.
What I dont get is why Steph and Zions stats are not considered empty as their teams reside in 9th and 11th place, respectively.

You're working backwards rather than forwards.

While it's fine to note stuff like this as the start of a query about a player, you shouldn't have any confidence that an observation like this says anything about what a player's impact is.

In the case of Curry this year, you're talking about a situation where his team is 13 points better with him out there than without despite the fact the team has purposefully played most of the year forcing Curry to play with two guys who should be on the bench based on their ability to actually play valuable minutes, but who were getting run based on their potential (Wiseman, Oubre). That's as much proof of impact as you should ever need when looking for evidence that the world's best shooter is having impact.

In the case of Zion, the label of "empty stats" makes more sense, because I do think he's considerably less valuable than his box score would indicate. But still, the question is more about "Why?". On offense, the team legit does pretty dang well when he's on the court so I think it's important to say that while Zion may not be as offensively valuable as his stats indicate, he's still a clear cut positive, and there's good reason to think his impact will keep improving as he masters more little things.

Defense on the other hand is a concern, specifically because Zion's a guy who is naturally slotted into play as the 4 or the 5, and guys in those position generally carry the defense. Zion lacks great defensive instincts, spends more of his energy on offense, and while he can jump high, his relatively short stature means he's still got to *get* up and get back down.

Last note. So far as I'm award, the best all-in-one stat on the market right now is bball-index's LEBRON stat. While no all-in-one stat should be treated as gospel, this is a stat in the +/- family and thus has at least a rational claim as a proxy for impact.

https://www.bball-index.com/2020-21-lebron-data/

If we look at the rankings by Wins Added, it's worth noting that Curry ranks 6th and Zion ranks 11th. For Curry this is actually a bit low, though clearly still fantastic. For Zion, it's frankly awesome, and indicates that we are seeing signs that Zion is having significant impact even he still lags behind older, savvier superstars.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
BrooklynDynasty
Pro Prospect
And1: 692

Post#23 » by BrooklynDynasty » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:22 pm

zion and steph by definition can't have empty stats because their field goal percentage is so high on a ton of shots
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,078

Post#24 » by Lockdown504090 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:27 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:I don't know how age or the past plays a part. I swear ta gawd I don't, lol.

I'm OCD on being consistent. I'd think the same way others are judged, these two would be as well.

Its measureable, but its more of a watching thing to me. For example ill use Kevin durant because hes a very good one. The scouting report on KD was far more comfortable going back to his left hand. so memphis takes TA and gives him the task of making durant uncomfortable so he only goes left and we can pretictably load up on his left side and get better contests going in that direction.

Just skim through the first couple minutes, it shows enough.
;ab_channel=LockdownDefense

You can go watch his points for example.... he doesnt want to go right because of the pressure

Kevin durant didnt have a fun time and calls TA the best defender he faced because of this.

Fast forward to 2016 vs the warriors, you can see they try the same thing but he quickly adjusts and starts going right. more often becuase hes worked on going that way.

Again dont watch the whole thing, not necessary.
;ab_channel=GD%27sLatestHighlights

to me, an offense centric player stops being a empty stats guy when they can either adjust for this type of scheming( a simple example) or if what they do is so unstoppable the player can just keep doing it( shaq, lillard spamming deep 3s).

Zion is maybe an empty stats guy because he can be stopped still. only kinda though. and he isnt really a defender.

Steph is not because he has a variety of ways to kill you. he just cant take every shot and the teams offense is not good enough outside of them doing steph things right now.
BodieB
Veteran
And1: 3,340

Post#25 » by BodieB » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:30 pm

Steph is on a crap team and they're still pretty competitive so he's good. People are too easy on Zion though, they have talent on that team.
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,896

Post#26 » by Plossum » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:30 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
Statlanta wrote:The line is blurry and I credit the OP for thinking about it.

We used to call Tyreke Evans, Jamal Crawford, Monta Ellis, Brandon Jennings, Kevin Martin, Tony Wroten empty stats for not making the playoffs.

Even guys like Kevin Love and Nikola Vucevic months after a year long carry job still get hit with the label yet Steph and Zion don't.

I believe the media is biased.

Thanks bro. The first frigging thing I said is I don't use that term yet the steph lovers came for me, lol.

I hate the empty stat amd stat padder comments buy wanted to know the criteria

There are great stats available these days (RAPM, on/off numbers) that help us measure a player's impact.

So if a player has strong raw stats (ppg, rpg, apg, good FG% etc) and also strong impact numbers (i.e. how this raw production impacts the game and ultimately winning) you can safely conclude that player is very impactful. This is Steph.

Conversely, if a player has strong has strong raw stats but their impact numbers show they are having a low/neutral/negative impact overall, you can likely conclude this player's raw production is empty calories. Demar Derozan on the Raptors is a pretty solid example of this. He would consistently post strong raw numbers but when you drilled down into the data the Raps were actually better with him off the court.
#LockUpChuck
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,963

Post#27 » by Optms » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:33 pm

I'm convinced OP doesn't actually watch the games. Much less know who is on either team's rosters. Probably still thinks the Dubs still have Klay and KD. Has to be.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#28 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:43 pm

It’s almost like this is a team sport and no matter how well an individual plays, if their rosters are complete crap they still will struggle to win games consistently.
BIGJ1ER
Rookie
And1: 535

Post#29 » by BIGJ1ER » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:46 pm

High raw numbers but low impact stats usually imply empty stats, which neither steph or Zion have.

Guys like Derozan on the raptors, lavine, vucevic who seem to be putting up great raw numbers but then have impact stats that are nowhere near the level their raw numbers suggest are guys who I consider "empty" stat guys. Not to say these guys aren't good, but they're clearly not producing at the level their raw numbers would suggest. Guys like derozan can be contributed to a lack of 3 pt threat, low playmaking gravity (in his raptors days) and poor defence, which hurts his overall offensive and defensive impact on the court, and this always displayed itself in his on/off numbers, even though he was scoring fairly well and making tough shots, which impressed casual viewers and made people think he was better than he was. I actually think Derozan got his reputation boosted by 'Jordanism' - where the average fan looks for traits from legends to associate with greatness, and in Derozan's case he was making midrangers, was athletic, getting to the line and had nice footwork in the post, which resembled some of MJ's offensive game, and therefore concluded that he must be a great player.

Sorry I didn't mean this post to turn into a Raptors era Demar rant. Just trying to show how empty stats can come about.
Big Fan of / and (
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,811

Post#30 » by Marrrcuss » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:58 pm

Optms wrote:I'm convinced OP doesn't actually watch the games. Much less know who is on either team's rosters. Probably still thinks the Dubs still have Klay and KD. Has to be.

Maybe it's a you thing.

I told u I don't use the term yet u came for me anyway.

Secondly, none of the supporting stats I have seen a few people post separate first quarters from clutch times. But again, empty numbers seem like something haters use.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,437

Post#31 » by Big J » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:06 am

Because without Curry the Dubs would be the worst team in the league like they were last year when he got hurt. Also watch the games instead of being a blind hater. What Curry is doing this year is absolutely ridiculous.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#32 » by meekrab » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:07 am

"Empty stats" happens when your efficiency is league average or below and you just shoot a lot. Steph and Zion are way off the right end of the bell curve.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,875

Post#33 » by AussieCeltic » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:18 am

We used to call Tyreke Evans, Jamal Crawford, Monta Ellis, Brandon Jennings, Kevin Martin, Tony Wroten empty stats for not making the playoffs.

Even guys like Kevin Love and Nikola Vucevic months after a year long carry job still get hit with the label yet Steph and Zion don't.

Now show their efficiency ratings
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#34 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:34 am

meekrab wrote:"Empty stats" happens when your efficiency is league average or below and you just shoot a lot. Steph and Zion are way off the right end of the bell curve.

Not necessarily, a lot of players get called empty stats guys if they give up a ton on defense (this is more common with centers)
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by Marrrcuss » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:48 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
meekrab wrote:"Empty stats" happens when your efficiency is league average or below and you just shoot a lot. Steph and Zion are way off the right end of the bell curve.

Not necessarily, a lot of players get called empty stats guys if they give up a ton on defense (this is more common with centers)

I'd think empty stats are those that don't turn into wins, but I'm really starting to think it's skewed towards whether yall like the player or not.
Westbrook triple doubles have normally turned into wins but he's the main 'empty stat' guy, according to this board
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Post#36 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:53 am

Show me an inefficient player on a bad team with a high scoring average....that's empty stats.

An efficient player that is single handedly keeping his team in the playoff hunt....

no is empty :)
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by Marrrcuss » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:01 am

ILOVEIT wrote:Show me an inefficient player on a bad team with a high scoring average....that's empty stats.

An efficient player that is single handedly keeping his team in the playoff hunt....

no is empty :)

I will say I've never seen these type excuses or praise.
We clown Bron for not winning finals with scrub teams but praise Curry for being in playoff contention. Never seen this
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#38 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:06 am

Threads about curry having empty stats are pretty bad. Maybe read more threads if you think his stats are empty, and that he's not carrying that team.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#39 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:07 am

Marrrcuss wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

I'd think empty stats are those that don't turn into wins, but I'm really starting to think it's skewed towards whether yall like the player or not.
Westbrook triple doubles have normally turned into wins but he's the main 'empty stat' guy, according to this board

How often is he carrying his team when he fails to get triple doubles? I imagine his record is not so good then.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Post#40 » by Woodsanity » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:17 am

Marrrcuss wrote:

Thanks bro. The first frigging thing I said is I don't use that term yet the steph lovers came for me, lol.

I hate the empty stat amd stat padder comments buy wanted to know the criteria

Well Warriors were like 1-6 without Steph and loss 130 to 77 to the Raptors. Pretty much the opposite of empty stats.

Empty stats would be if Warriors had a decent record without Steph and with Steph playing their record does not improve.

In this case their team just sucks and its pretty clear.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.

Return to The General Board