Is Chet Holmgren going to be like a 7 foot Durant?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,112

Re: Is Chet Holmgren going to be like a 7 foot Durant? 

Post#21 » by JB2 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:25 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Why do good recruits go to Gonzaga instead of going to places with
great weather and nightlife like U. Miami or Pepperdine?

Because they're 17.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,361

Post#22 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:28 pm

raptor jesus wrote:I'm still somewhat skeptical. There's a long list of "next KD" guys who looked the part in high school and far much less so in college e.g. Perry Jones, Thon Maker. I'm rooting for him tho, because the idea of a superstar athlete named "Chet" is funny to me.

Chet Walker might have words with you bro.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#23 » by kamaze » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:28 pm

Doubt it. KD should get more props so many players model their game like him. Especially if they're a big man.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#24 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:29 pm

packforfreedom wrote:Kevin Durant already is a 7 foot Durant

Wasn't he given a legit measurement of 6-9.5 or 6-10 just last year or the year before?
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,795

Post#25 » by Upperclass » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:31 pm

He doesnt play like KD imo. Plays more like KG
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,705

Post#26 » by Up-And-Coming » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:33 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Why do good recruits go to Gonzaga instead of going to places with great weather and nightlife like U. Miami or Pepperdine?

University of Miami, FSU, UCLA, ASU are all fairly good-great basketball programs w/ great weather and nightlife. SDSU as well.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,455

Post#27 » by Big J » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:35 pm

Upperclass wrote:He doesnt play like KD imo. Plays more like KG

KG didn't have this boy's handle. He's also doing step back 3's. Dude looks like a beast in the BALLISLIFE vids.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,224

Post#28 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:38 pm

Dirkish on O, KGish on D, but still a lot of development for him body wise to really say, but stylistically those guys more than KD
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,455

Post#29 » by Big J » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:42 pm

clyde21 wrote:

Dirkish on O, KGish on D, but still a lot of development for him body wise to really say, but stylistically those guys more than KD

I can not recall a single time Dirk dribbled the full length of the court and dunked. I'm sure it happened, but Chet does that on the regs.
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,461

Post#30 » by AbeVigodaLive » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:42 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:I think it's a bit too much to put '7 ft KD' expectations on him but I watched like a 10-15 minute video on him and was fairly impressed. I wouldn't be too surprised if he were like a top 15 player in college as a freshman and became a star in the nba. I think him staying at college at least a couple years would be a good thing. Physically he's not really close to ready for the nba.

1. Yes. Comparing high school kids to All Time great HOF players is sort of a fruitless exercise.

2. If this kid is a legit top 15 college player as a freshman, he'll be a top draft pick. Why risk anything going back to school when he can just turn pro and start collecting $10M paychecks... but with better development, nutritionists, strength trainers, et al helping him?
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#31 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:45 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:I think it's a bit too much to put '7 ft KD' expectations on him but I watched like a 10-15 minute video on him and was fairly impressed. I wouldn't be too surprised if he were like a top 15 player in college as a freshman and became a star in the nba. I think him staying at college at least a couple years would be a good thing. Physically he's not really close to ready for the nba.

1. Yes. Comparing high school kids to All Time great HOF players is sort of a fruitless exercise.

2. If this kid is a legit top 15 college player as a freshman, he'll be a top draft pick. Why risk anything going back to school when he can just turn pro and start collecting $10M paychecks... but with better development, nutritionists, strength trainers, et al helping him?

It can work out. Sometimes it doesn't though. I mean granted I grew up in a time where all the best college players stayed in college for at least 3 years before they moved on and even Shaq who was obviously one of the most physically developed college players ever stayed 3 years then Duncan after him stayed 4 years. Sometimes though when guys aren't ready for the nba they get benched and never really fully blossom which I hate to see.
GregOden
Starter
And1: 2,500

Post#32 » by GregOden » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:46 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:

Wasn't he given a legit measurement of 6-9.5 or 6-10 just last year or the year before?

Yeah but KD has no neck. He's just like DeAndre Jordan whose also 6'9 3/4 and 7'6 wingspan but their shoulders are so high that it's just the top of their head that's not quite 7'0 :lol:

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,224

Post#33 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:48 pm

Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I can not recall a single time Dirk dribbled the full length of the court and dunked. I'm sure it happened, but Chet does that on the regs.

yea he's got more of a full court game than Dirk but half court sets scoring wide a lot of his shot making is Dirk like.

anyway there are some real freaks coming out recently
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,705

Post#34 » by Up-And-Coming » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:49 pm

GregOden wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:

Yeah but KD has no neck. He's just like DeAndre Jordan whose also 6'9 3/4 and 7'6 wingspan but their shoulders are so high that it's just the top of their head that's not quite 7'0 :lol:

Marc Gasol was also officially listed at 6'11" last season. Safe to assume the majority of their heights were inflated by 1-2 inches.
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,461

Post#35 » by AbeVigodaLive » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:49 pm

Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Holmgren's high school plays legit competition throughout the season... but because it's a private school and enrollment is lower... they go into the state tournament each season playing against a lower level of competition.

Holmgren's team won the state tournament this season... winning the championship game 80 - 29.

The point is that while I've seen Holmgren go coast-to-coast against legit AAU teams, I think it would be pretty funny watching him play vs. 2nd and 3rd tier high school kids. Even a young raw Dirk could do some crazy things...
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,382

Post#36 » by Scalabrine » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:49 pm

...Came here to say this.
Go Knicks!
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,397

Post#37 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:51 pm

I realize Dirk played a long time and finished up as the mummy, but he spent basically all of his 20's ripping boards and taking it the length of the court. Go back and look at some early 00's Mavs games. He was a very athletic player--even played a fair bit of SF under Nellie.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#38 » by KuruptedCav » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:52 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Why do good recruits go to Gonzaga instead of going to places with great weather and nightlife like U. Miami or Pepperdine?

Not everything is about weather and nightlife. Less accessible to outside influence, culture, coaching, education quality, and environment are equally so...

I’d contend that Lonnie Walker would have been a top-10 pick if he went to Gonzaga or Marquette instead of University of Miami FL.

Bruce Brown, Dewan Hernandez, etc. didnt improve their stock at the U. Not to pick on them, or the school. But, I think they’d have developed better at Zaga.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Bologna Smasher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,182

Post#39 » by Bologna Smasher » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:54 pm

I'm not completely sold on Holmgren yet. I'm waiting to see how he does against better competition and players closer to his size before jumping to any conclusions. Right now he reminds me a lot of Pau Gasol before he entered the NBA.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,878

Post#40 » by basketballRob » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:57 pm

Didn't he used to coach the Packers?

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Return to The General Board