Who would be the best #1 option for the knicks next season

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,483

Re: Who would be the best #1 option for the knicks next season 

Post#21 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:04 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:Lets say all the superstars were free agents, Who do you think works best with the coach they have and key players they currently have?

Julius randle is balling TF out right now, but I dont think hes necesarily a good fit with a guy like say kawhi as an example.

I'll put it this way:

Randle is the first actual good thing the Knicks have had going in a long time, and he's clearly a guy built to be a #1 option rather than a sidekick. So to me, you're making the choice of whether to continue to build around Randle and what he's helped create in NY, or you're just looking to keep burning down the Knicks roster every year until an A-list superstar shows up.

And of course, if you can get that A-list superstar, you want that. But the Knicks turned to Randle precisely because all the A-list superstars with options decided to stay the hell away from the Knicks, so the big risk here is that you end up burning down all that's been built only to have another superstar say "Wait, why the hell would I want to join the franchise that treats their guys like crap and sucks every year?"

Were I the Knicks, I'd be very, very hesitant to act like we're too good for Randle.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#22 » by zimpy27 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:08 pm

Not a star yet but Edwards feels like an NY guy with his attitude and fit in a Thibs system
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,689

Post#23 » by Peregrine01 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:11 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:Lets say all the superstars were free agents, Who do you think works best with the coach they have and key players they currently have?

Julius randle is balling TF out right now, but I dont think hes necesarily a good fit with a guy like say kawhi as an example.

I'll put it this way:

Randle is the first actual good thing the Knicks have had going in a long time, and he's clearly a guy built to be a #1 option rather than a sidekick. So to me, you're making the choice of whether to continue to build around Randle and what he's helped create in NY, or you're just looking to keep burning down the Knicks roster every year until an A-list superstar shows up.

And of course, if you can get that A-list superstar, you want that. But the Knicks turned to Randle precisely because all the A-list superstars with options decided to stay the hell away from the Knicks, so the big risk here is that you end up burning down all that's been built only to have another superstar say "Wait, why the hell would I want to join the franchise that treats their guys like crap and sucks every year?"

Were I the Knicks, I'd be very, very hesitant to act like we're too good for Randle.

Why do you feel this way? To me, Randle seems a lot more fit to be a 2nd option. He's being asked to create a lot, which he isn't good at, but he's been very effective in situations playing off of others, such as in spot-up and as a roll-man.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,483

Post#24 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:32 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

I'll put it this way:

Why do you feel this way? To me, Randle seems a lot more fit to be a 2nd option. He's being asked to create a lot, which he isn't good at, but he's been very effective in situations playing off of others, such as in spot-up and as a roll-man.

You may know better than me, but to me this is a guy who has always been a 1st option guy. He was a first option in college, he emerged as the clear best 1st option on the pre-LeBron Lakers, and now he's an all-star as a first option in New York.

If what you're saying is that he can play P&R with a guard, I'm not saying that's crazy, but I don't think there should be any expectation that if you bring in a volume scorer you should expect Randle to be a great fit next to him.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,196

Post#25 » by kenwood3333 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:33 pm

Jimmy Butler
RandlesCornrows
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,610

Post#26 » by RandlesCornrows » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:53 pm

I really want Kawhi