Will the Lakers/Sixers/Heat regret not trading for Lowry?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Will the Lakers/Sixers/Heat regret not trading for Lowry? 

Post#41 » by LloydFree » Mon May 3, 2021 1:34 pm

socal74 wrote:Cmon Raps fan nobody in LA gives a **** about Lowry. Move on. Sounds more like yall regret not getting anything for him.

Neither team gives a **** about Lowry. That trade deadline foolishness was nothing but podcast fodder about nothing. Nobody was giving up anything for him.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,470

Post#42 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 3, 2021 1:35 pm

I feel like the Lakers didn't really have pieces the Raptors would've wanted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,992

Post#43 » by Duffman100 » Mon May 3, 2021 1:45 pm

durden_tyler wrote:The Raptors are regretting not trading Kyle Lowry.

For what? What was the offer that was actually worth it for the Raptors?
Kingdibs19
Starter
And1: 3,674

Post#44 » by Kingdibs19 » Mon May 3, 2021 1:48 pm

The Raptors should regret getting nothing in return for Lowry, even a sign and trade is obviously not going to net as great a return. Raptors fans are delusional to think they were better off holding on to him for pride? Or spite? I don’t get it.

Lakers should regret not trading for him. He brings so many things they need. 3 point shooting, creating his own shot, creating for others when Lebron sits, leadership, outstanding defence. These are all things he does better than Shroeder. The fact that Pelinka was unwilling to let go of an unproven 20 yr old THT for a proven stud to pair with an aging Lebron and a fragile AD is ridiculous. If this deal was really on the table then Laker fans are delusional to think they were better off standing pat.

This starting 5 would be deadly in the playoffs:
Lowry
Caruso or Ben McLemore or Wes
Lebron
Davis
Drummond

Fingers should be pointed at all franchises involved to be fair.
KembaWalker wrote:If you think you need a gun to answer the door, you probably shouldn’t answer the door. Call the police

Re: innocent ex military Roger Fortson gunned down by police at his own house
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#45 » by matt6715 » Mon May 3, 2021 2:07 pm

Raptors are the losers on his failed deal. Lowry blowing up their tank and then walking at the end of the year for nothing in return. Even expirings and a future pick or two would be better asset management than letting him win you an extra 5 games this season and then bounce.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,073

Post#46 » by Sixerscan » Mon May 3, 2021 2:29 pm

I don't really get where the Raptors got Lowry's valuation that they were apparently asking for. Look at what they gave up for Gasol two years prior. Other teams don't care about Lowry's place in Raptors history any more than the Raptors cared about Gasol's place in Grizzlies history.

It's hard to rebuild when you keep losing good players for nothing the way the Raptors have in recent years. If they don't salvage something out of a Lowry S+T that's 5 of the top 7 guys from their title team they didn't get any value for. Other guys were out of their control, but that makes getting value in the situations you do have control even more important, and I think the Raptors overplayed their hand here.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,875

Post#47 » by Jadoogar » Mon May 3, 2021 2:29 pm

Phreak50 wrote:If the rumours were true and the Lakers declined sending THT, they will regret it.

Firstly, he is not very good. Secondly, when your team has an ageing LeBron and an often-injured AD, you do whatever you can to be in win now mode.

THT has got real "cavs won't trade JJ Hickson for Amare" vibes
However, Lakers would have had to give up real rotation pieces in addition to THT to make the salaries work.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,132

Post#48 » by Lockdown504090 » Mon May 3, 2021 2:38 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:The Raptors are regretting not trading Kyle Lowry.

For what? What was the offer that was actually worth it for the Raptors?

I would say, the raptors can simply sign and trade him so he can go to a contender I wouldnt mind bev as an expiring and whoever they draft with their pick this year as compensation and salary matching to give him a 20 million dollar deal.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,539

Post#49 » by Rapcity_11 » Mon May 3, 2021 2:43 pm

Sixerscan wrote:I don't really get where the Raptors got Lowry's valuation that they were apparently asking for. Look at what they gave up for Gasol two years prior. Other teams don't care about Lowry's place in Raptors history any more than the Raptors cared about Gasol's place in Grizzlies history.

It's hard to rebuild when you keep losing good players for nothing the way the Raptors have in recent years. If they don't salvage something out of a Lowry S+T that's 5 of the top 7 guys from their title team they didn't get any value for. Other guys were out of their control, but that makes getting value in the situations you do have control even more important, and I think the Raptors overplayed their hand here.

They got a freaking title out of it. But I guess they should have traded Kawhi/Green during 2019 to ensure they wouldn't walk for nothing?
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,702

Post#50 » by rzzzzz » Mon May 3, 2021 2:49 pm

I got nothing against Toronto looking to rebuild and Kyle looking to compete for another title. But I sure wouldn’t mind seeing Kyle stay put for a nice two year contract and retire playing for the franchise where he had admirable success.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#51 » by Sixerscan » Mon May 3, 2021 2:51 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:I don't really get where the Raptors got Lowry's valuation that they were apparently asking for. Look at what they gave up for Gasol two years prior. Other teams don't care about Lowry's place in Raptors history any more than the Raptors cared about Gasol's place in Grizzlies history.

They got a freaking title out of it. But I guess they should have traded Kawhi/Green during 2019 to ensure they wouldn't walk for nothing?

You misunderstood my last sentence. Obviously they had no control over Kawhi and so on, which makes getting something for Lowry even more important. Once he walks there are no tradeable assets on your roster that aren't already part of your core going forward, which is what teams generally use to jump start rebuilds. The Grizzlies for example are in a better spot right now because they chose to get something for Gasol and Conley, obviously the Celtics are an extreme example with Pierce and Garnett, we could go on...
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,893

Post#52 » by bebopdeluxe » Mon May 3, 2021 2:54 pm

Caped Crusader wrote:
Dominater wrote:The raptors will regret not getting something for him instead of just letting him walk for nothing
Nah. If he walks it's better than taking on the trash that was offered and handicapping us into negative assets.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

They could have gotten at least Maxey and a 1st round pick from the Sixers, with no salary extending beyond this season. Are you arguing that NOTHING is better than that?
HabsAndDubs
Senior
And1: 489

Post#53 » by HabsAndDubs » Mon May 3, 2021 2:58 pm

Eagle4 wrote:Will the heat regret not trading their 20 yr old prospect that showed signs of promise for a 35 year old vet that wouldn't put them over the top? I doubt it.

Some of you Raps fans are insufferable. Lowry "the greatest raptor ever, legend" blah blah but instead of wanting him to retire in a Raps jersey you get butthurt and some how feel so entitled to other teams trading their assets for guy who has <3 years left in the league(which aren't guaranteed to be as productive due to age and wear/tear). Truly delusional.

What’s this? Tyler Herro? If you’ve got a package in place to deal Herro + for Kyle Lowry, you personally drive Herro to the airport. Hell, I’d pack his bags for him and pay for his crib in Tampa. Miami as they are + Kyle Lowry probably wins the east.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#54 » by Rapcity_11 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:38 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

You misunderstood my last sentence. Obviously they had no control over Kawhi and so on, which makes getting something for Lowry even more important. Once he walks there are no tradeable assets on your roster that aren't already part of your core going forward, which is what teams generally use to jump start rebuilds. The Grizzlies for example are in a better spot right now because they chose to get something for Gasol and Conley, obviously the Celtics are an extreme example with Pierce and Garnett, we could go on...

From the reporting, it doesn't even seem like any team made an offer as good as JV/Wright. Which offer was out there to jump-start a "rebuild"?

The Celtics? Who let Kyrie, Horford & Hayward walk?
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#55 » by Rapcity_11 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:40 pm

Why do so many people think the Nets are unbeatable, when we have no idea if they're even going to be healthy?
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,474

Post#56 » by mademan » Mon May 3, 2021 3:42 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:
Caped Crusader wrote:
Dominater wrote:The raptors will regret not getting something for him instead of just letting him walk for nothing
Nah. If he walks it's better than taking on the trash that was offered and handicapping us into negative assets.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

They could have gotten at least Maxey and a 1st round pick from the Sixers, with no salary extending beyond this season. Are you arguing that NOTHING is better than that?

I've heard some reports that say that was offered, and then some reports that say it wasnt. I will say, if it was only Maxey or the 1st, im glad the raps didnt gift Lowry to them. Ditto on a Heats package centered around Robinson
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,474

Post#57 » by mademan » Mon May 3, 2021 3:43 pm

matt6715 wrote:Raptors are the losers on his failed deal. Lowry blowing up their tank and then walking at the end of the year for nothing in return. Even expirings and a future pick or two would be better asset management than letting him win you an extra 5 games this season and then bounce.

This is basically the only game Lowry got the Raps a win. Raps big winning streak that took them out of contention for top 5 came during his 'injury'.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#58 » by Sixerscan » Mon May 3, 2021 3:46 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

From the reporting, it doesn't even seem like any team made an offer as good as JV/Wright. Which offer was out there to jump-start a "rebuild"?

Val was months from unrestricted free agency I wouldn't say he had much more value than what is being reported for Lowry. I'm not saying you had some crazy good offer out there in fact my point is the Raptors needed to get something out of Lowry rather than losing him for nothing if they don't work a decent S+T this summer.

Yes the Celtics have also recently left guys walk for nothing and they've gone from a title contender to a 7 seed with very little of value on their roster beyond what they got from the Pierce/KG trade.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#59 » by Rapcity_11 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:49 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Val was months from unrestricted free agency I wouldn't say he had much more value than what is being reported for Lowry. I'm not saying you had some crazy good offer out there in fact my point is the Raptors needed to get something out of Lowry rather than losing him for nothing if they don't work a decent S+T this summer.

Yes the Celtics have also recently left guys walk for nothing and they've gone from a title contender to a 7 seed with very little of value on their roster beyond what they got from the Pierce/KG trade.

Bird-rights have significant value.

You realize the Raptors can re-sign Lowry right?
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,992

Post#60 » by Duffman100 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:50 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

But the question is what was the offer for Lowry? Any of the offers that were rumoured were all garbage players that did nothing and would have done nothing for the squad.

KCP and Schroeder?
Olynyk and Dennis Robinson (FA)?
Green and Mike Scott?

I agree that Thybulle, Maxey and 2 1sts was too large of an ask.

But there is also an organizational reputation that has to be considered here. You show that you're willing to buckle and deal Lowry for nothing, then that marks you as a team that will eventually cave. Raptors aren't just going to give away a top 30ish player for nothing...

Return to The General Board