Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players

Moderators: jamaalstar21, infinite11285, BombsquadSammy, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid

Metallikid
RealGM
Posts: 10,502
And1: 9,765
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#61 » by Metallikid » Tue May 4, 2021 9:48 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:751 Americans died yesterday from COVID.


Approximately 7,500 people die everyday in the United States. What is your point?

You know almost twice as many people who have died from Covid total, died from Tobacco in Canada just in 2020?

"Tobacco use continues to be the leading preventable cause of premature death in Canada. While tobacco use has decreased, a significant number of Canadians still use tobacco and cigarette smoking kills 45,000 Canadians each year."

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/publications/healthy-living/canada-tobacco-strategy/overview-canada-tobacco-strategy.html

I never heard anyone saying we should ban cigarettes permanently over the strain smokers put on our medical system and ICUs.

We never justified crushing human rights over deaths from second hand smoke.

Almost everyone in here has lost all sense of priority, proportionality, and rationality.

Maybe if cigarette smoke destroys health systems like what’s happening in India right now, then we should ban smoking.


In India the death rate is dropping significantly and their death rate was already one of the lowest in the world.

They have a crisis in India because their medical system was underfunded, because they have done very little preventative care between when Covid is diagnosed and when they come in for emergency treatment, because they didn't stockpile any oxygen despite their incredibly large population, because they didn't pursue any anti-obesity or anti-vitamin D deficiency strategy from the beginning, and most of all because they all CHOSE to take the risk of being in public and many chose to take the risk of meeting up for Holi which was in March, as well as other religious festivals in April, as well as huge political events across the country because of their upcoming election. That is their human right. People must be allowed to have control of their lives and be left alone to exercise our human rights. Death is an unavoidable part of life, and human rights supersede any individual's life. They are for everyone, forever.
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 28,917
And1: 15,799
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#62 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue May 4, 2021 9:53 pm

perempe20 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:-- Jayson Tatum is stil taking an inhaler before games.

what substance does he use?


I'm not aware of that having been disclosed.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
Posts: 7,892
And1: 13,691
Joined: Aug 30, 2012
       

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#63 » by Shock Defeat » Tue May 4, 2021 10:17 pm

Metallikid wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Approximately 7,500 people die everyday in the United States. What is your point?

You know almost twice as many people who have died from Covid total, died from Tobacco in Canada just in 2020?

"Tobacco use continues to be the leading preventable cause of premature death in Canada. While tobacco use has decreased, a significant number of Canadians still use tobacco and cigarette smoking kills 45,000 Canadians each year."

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/publications/healthy-living/canada-tobacco-strategy/overview-canada-tobacco-strategy.html

I never heard anyone saying we should ban cigarettes permanently over the strain smokers put on our medical system and ICUs.

We never justified crushing human rights over deaths from second hand smoke.

Almost everyone in here has lost all sense of priority, proportionality, and rationality.

Maybe if cigarette smoke destroys health systems like what’s happening in India right now, then we should ban smoking.


In India the death rate is dropping significantly and their death rate was already one of the lowest in the world.

They have a crisis in India because their medical system was underfunded, because they have done very little preventative care between when Covid is diagnosed and when they come in for emergency treatment, because they didn't stockpile any oxygen despite their incredibly large population, because they didn't pursue any anti-obesity or anti-vitamin D deficiency strategy from the beginning, and most of all because they all CHOSE to take the risk of being in public and many chose to take the risk of meeting up for Holi which was in March, as well as other religious festivals in April, as well as huge political events across the country because of their upcoming election. That is their human right. People must be allowed to have control of their lives and be left alone to exercise our human rights. Death is an unavoidable part of life, and human rights supersede any individual's life. They are for everyone, forever.

India's death rate is undercounted, but I guess you have your agenda so no surprise that you fail to mention that.

Btw, your logic is dumb. Do I have a human right to drive 60 in a school zone? No because it's illegal and it's a danger to some kids lives. Laws exist for a reason.
User avatar
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 17,800
And1: 21,139
Joined: Sep 07, 2010

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#64 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue May 4, 2021 10:20 pm

Metallikid wrote:
HabsAndDubs wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:It is alarming, but I can't believe people were saying it's just like the flu last year. Heck, some people still say that it's like the flu now.

Yeah, people are absolute bozos. There are athletes healthier than any of us here who have been completely wiped out because of this and people are still BSing about the “99.99997% of people recover!!”. Like yeah okay your fat ass that doesn’t leave your couch is going to be fine, while Jayson Tatum struggles to breathe properly? Lol ok


Almost my entire American family had it, more than 10 people. All of them overweight, some severely. Nobody had anything other than mild flu-like symptoms and after a month no one has reported any additional fatigue.

If you're going to use anecdotes you should realize there are a lot more about people getting it and being completely fine in a short period of time with no lingering effects whatsoever.

But instead you're going to choose whichever piece of evidence that triggers a fear response instead.


Your anecdotes don't change the fact that elite pro athletes have had trouble returning to play at a normal level over a significant period of time. These examples should be noted as they arise to study the long term effects.
nikster
General Manager
Posts: 8,051
And1: 6,598
Joined: Sep 08, 2013

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#65 » by nikster » Tue May 4, 2021 10:21 pm

Metallikid wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:751 Americans died yesterday from COVID.


Approximately 7,500 people die everyday in the United States. What is your point?

You know almost twice as many people who have died from Covid total, died from Tobacco in Canada just in 2020?

"Tobacco use continues to be the leading preventable cause of premature death in Canada. While tobacco use has decreased, a significant number of Canadians still use tobacco and cigarette smoking kills 45,000 Canadians each year."

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/publications/healthy-living/canada-tobacco-strategy/overview-canada-tobacco-strategy.html

I never heard anyone saying we should ban cigarettes permanently over the strain smokers put on our medical system and ICUs.

We never justified crushing human rights over deaths from second hand smoke.

Almost everyone in here has lost all sense of priority, proportionality, and rationality.

Ontario has almost 50% of its ICU capacity to a virus we haven't heard of a year and a half ago. The system is designed to just deal with a typical year. It isn't capable of dealing with these sudden spikes in demand.
HabsAndDubs
Sophomore
Posts: 197
And1: 147
Joined: Jan 09, 2020

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#66 » by HabsAndDubs » Tue May 4, 2021 10:23 pm

Metallikid wrote:
HabsAndDubs wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:It is alarming, but I can't believe people were saying it's just like the flu last year. Heck, some people still say that it's like the flu now.

Yeah, people are absolute bozos. There are athletes healthier than any of us here who have been completely wiped out because of this and people are still BSing about the “99.99997% of people recover!!”. Like yeah okay your fat ass that doesn’t leave your couch is going to be fine, while Jayson Tatum struggles to breathe properly? Lol ok


Almost my entire American family had it, more than 10 people. All of them overweight, some severely. Nobody had anything other than mild flu-like symptoms and after a month no one has reported any additional fatigue.

If you're going to use anecdotes you should realize there are a lot more about people getting it and being completely fine in a short period of time with no lingering effects whatsoever.

But instead you're going to choose whichever piece of evidence that triggers a fear response instead.

Your anecdote is not relevant at all. If professional athletes at the peak of their physical health are getting nasty lingering effects, it could happen to you. Your family was lucky, but this is not the case for everyone.
nikster
General Manager
Posts: 8,051
And1: 6,598
Joined: Sep 08, 2013

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#67 » by nikster » Tue May 4, 2021 10:29 pm

Metallikid wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Approximately 7,500 people die everyday in the United States. What is your point?

You know almost twice as many people who have died from Covid total, died from Tobacco in Canada just in 2020?

"Tobacco use continues to be the leading preventable cause of premature death in Canada. While tobacco use has decreased, a significant number of Canadians still use tobacco and cigarette smoking kills 45,000 Canadians each year."

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/publications/healthy-living/canada-tobacco-strategy/overview-canada-tobacco-strategy.html

I never heard anyone saying we should ban cigarettes permanently over the strain smokers put on our medical system and ICUs.

We never justified crushing human rights over deaths from second hand smoke.

Almost everyone in here has lost all sense of priority, proportionality, and rationality.

Maybe if cigarette smoke destroys health systems like what’s happening in India right now, then we should ban smoking.


In India the death rate is dropping significantly and their death rate was already one of the lowest in the world.

They have a crisis in India because their medical system was underfunded, because they have done very little preventative care between when Covid is diagnosed and when they come in for emergency treatment, because they didn't stockpile any oxygen despite their incredibly large population, because they didn't pursue any anti-obesity or anti-vitamin D deficiency strategy from the beginning, and most of all because they all CHOSE to take the risk of being in public and many chose to take the risk of meeting up for Holi which was in March, as well as other religious festivals in April, as well as huge political events across the country because of their upcoming election. That is their human right. People must be allowed to have control of their lives and be left alone to exercise our human rights. Death is an unavoidable part of life, and human rights supersede any individual's life. They are for everyone, forever.

Did you just suggest an anti obesity program would have been the right move for the Indian government... How out of touch are you? That is an incredibly difficult undertaking, expensive, unlikely to be successful and even if it were would have minimal effect on these waves.
Metallikid
RealGM
Posts: 10,502
And1: 9,765
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#68 » by Metallikid » Tue May 4, 2021 10:44 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:Maybe if cigarette smoke destroys health systems like what’s happening in India right now, then we should ban smoking.


In India the death rate is dropping significantly and their death rate was already one of the lowest in the world.

They have a crisis in India because their medical system was underfunded, because they have done very little preventative care between when Covid is diagnosed and when they come in for emergency treatment, because they didn't stockpile any oxygen despite their incredibly large population, because they didn't pursue any anti-obesity or anti-vitamin D deficiency strategy from the beginning, and most of all because they all CHOSE to take the risk of being in public and many chose to take the risk of meeting up for Holi which was in March, as well as other religious festivals in April, as well as huge political events across the country because of their upcoming election. That is their human right. People must be allowed to have control of their lives and be left alone to exercise our human rights. Death is an unavoidable part of life, and human rights supersede any individual's life. They are for everyone, forever.

India's death rate is undercounted, but I guess you have your agenda so no surprise that you fail to mention that.

Btw, your logic is dumb. Do I have a human right to drive 60 in a school zone? No because it's illegal and it's a danger to some kids lives. Laws exist for a reason.


Of course deaths are undercounted, but cases are much more greatly undercounted. It's much easier to miss a case than it is a death. That's called logic. So in fact the CFR is likely well below what even the stats show, meaning Covid in India is below 1% CFR. It's responses like that that show that you are being guided by fear and not facts and science.

Also, like a lot of people these days, you are confusing privileges with human rights. Driving is a privilege. Freedom of Assembly is a human right. About as big a difference as there could be.
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *
Metallikid
RealGM
Posts: 10,502
And1: 9,765
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#69 » by Metallikid » Tue May 4, 2021 10:47 pm

HabsAndDubs wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
HabsAndDubs wrote:Yeah, people are absolute bozos. There are athletes healthier than any of us here who have been completely wiped out because of this and people are still BSing about the “99.99997% of people recover!!”. Like yeah okay your fat ass that doesn’t leave your couch is going to be fine, while Jayson Tatum struggles to breathe properly? Lol ok


Almost my entire American family had it, more than 10 people. All of them overweight, some severely. Nobody had anything other than mild flu-like symptoms and after a month no one has reported any additional fatigue.

If you're going to use anecdotes you should realize there are a lot more about people getting it and being completely fine in a short period of time with no lingering effects whatsoever.

But instead you're going to choose whichever piece of evidence that triggers a fear response instead.

Your anecdote is not relevant at all. If professional athletes at the peak of their physical health are getting nasty lingering effects, it could happen to you. Your family was lucky, but this is not the case for everyone.


No, my family was not lucky. Jayson Tatum was unlucky, and framing it anyway other than such is beyond disingenuous.

My anecdote is not valid but Jayson Tatum's is. What kind of bull is that? My family members are morbidly obese and they're literally fine. Stop playing Chicken Little. The sky is not falling.
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *
Metallikid
RealGM
Posts: 10,502
And1: 9,765
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#70 » by Metallikid » Tue May 4, 2021 10:51 pm

nikster wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:751 Americans died yesterday from COVID.


Approximately 7,500 people die everyday in the United States. What is your point?

You know almost twice as many people who have died from Covid total, died from Tobacco in Canada just in 2020?

"Tobacco use continues to be the leading preventable cause of premature death in Canada. While tobacco use has decreased, a significant number of Canadians still use tobacco and cigarette smoking kills 45,000 Canadians each year."

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/publications/healthy-living/canada-tobacco-strategy/overview-canada-tobacco-strategy.html

I never heard anyone saying we should ban cigarettes permanently over the strain smokers put on our medical system and ICUs.

We never justified crushing human rights over deaths from second hand smoke.

Almost everyone in here has lost all sense of priority, proportionality, and rationality.

Ontario has almost 50% of its ICU capacity to a virus we haven't heard of a year and a half ago. The system is designed to just deal with a typical year. It isn't capable of dealing with these sudden spikes in demand.


Irrelevant. ICUs ran over capacity in many years prior to Covid. Nobody suggested human rights violating measures. To do so now that we know how much more we know about Covid is about nothing but control and keeping people afraid. The models experts offer are wrong again and again and again.

An underfunded medical system is no excuse to trample people's human rights. And sure as hell not when it's been underfunded on purpose.

"The report states that if the PC government doesn't first address the severe budget and capacity pressures currently facing Ontario hospitals, it may actually worsen the hallway healthcare problem it has promised to eliminate."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/ontario-hospitals-efficiency-healthcare-reform-1.5406753
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 25,621
And1: 11,213
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#71 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 4, 2021 10:52 pm

Metallikid wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:751 Americans died yesterday from COVID.


Approximately 7,500 people die everyday in the United States. What is your point?

You know almost twice as many people who have died from Covid total, died from Tobacco in Canada just in 2020?

"Tobacco use continues to be the leading preventable cause of premature death in Canada. While tobacco use has decreased, a significant number of Canadians still use tobacco and cigarette smoking kills 45,000 Canadians each year."

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/publications/healthy-living/canada-tobacco-strategy/overview-canada-tobacco-strategy.html

I never heard anyone saying we should ban cigarettes permanently over the strain smokers put on our medical system and ICUs.

We never justified crushing human rights over deaths from second hand smoke.

Almost everyone in here has lost all sense of priority, proportionality, and rationality.


I'm not sure there is anything ever that more money has been spent to prevent new consumers than smoking. And plenty of people would love to ban it. Lets not even get into how much more predictable the medical capacity is for smoking vs a new virus. Comparing smoking to covid is like telling Shaq to play like Curry.
User avatar
jamaalstar21
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 3,718
And1: 7,010
Joined: Jul 21, 2016
 

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#72 » by jamaalstar21 » Tue May 4, 2021 11:03 pm

Sorry to lock this everyone. I do think this is an important and valid thing to talk about, basketball-wise, especially in the wake of Fournier's recent comments. It's just that these are too much work for the mods. People have strong political views when it comes to covid, and some of you aren't shy about that. It results in dozens of reports for the mods to address (or choose to ignore). I'm just a moderator of a basketball forum, I can't keep 24/7 updated on what's useful information and what's harmful misinformation. It would be nice to have a basketball-ccentric conversation about how covid effects the NBA, but we all know that not all users are going to have an easy time keeping their politics out of it. I appreciate everyone posting in good faith.

Return to The General Board