Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players

Moderators: jamaalstar21, infinite11285, BombsquadSammy, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid

magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 3,010
And1: 871
Joined: Jun 22, 2005
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#41 » by magee » Yesterday 3:43 pm

Rudy Gobert mentioned that he still didn't have his sense of smell about three months after testing positive.

*Article for reference.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/nba/2020/6/28/21306087/rudy-gobert-covid-19-coronavirus-side-effects-symptoms-2020-nba-season-restart
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 25,566
And1: 11,181
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#42 » by dhsilv2 » Yesterday 3:52 pm

magee wrote:Rudy Gobert mentioned that he still didn't have his sense of smell about three months after testing positive.

*Article for reference.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/nba/2020/6/28/21306087/rudy-gobert-covid-19-coronavirus-side-effects-symptoms-2020-nba-season-restart


It's insane how long that is taking to come back for some.



I'm pretty sure Scott is STILL 2 months after this video struggling to fully recover.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 43,762
And1: 12,611
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Cali
   

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#43 » by Doctor MJ » Yesterday 4:15 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Among Celtics who caught COVID-19:

-- Jayson Tatum is stil taking an inhaler before games.
-- Evan Fournier says he's mentally slow, and struggles with his depth perception.
-- Tristan Thompson, Robert Williams, Romeo Langford and Marcus Smart, to my knowledge, say none of that stuff.

What do your guys report?

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/5/3/22416679/evan-fourniers-performance-is-bigger-than-basketball-boston-celtics-portland-trail-blazers-covid-19


Well, someone in my family now has a chronic life-threading blood clotting condition after having Covid. She's older, since I know people will care about that, but it's noteworthy to me because she actually had a quite mild case of Covid.

Me personally I'm fortunate that I never had, and hopefully never will now that I'm vaccinated.
Hey: With what's going on in the world, my fuse is shorter than it used to be, and it's leading my lose my cool and then go on self-imposed breaks from things (such as RealGM). Please try to keep it civil, and I'll be looking to do the same.
User avatar
ItsDanger
General Manager
Posts: 8,650
And1: 5,384
Joined: Nov 01, 2008

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#44 » by ItsDanger » Yesterday 4:27 pm

Several million people (maybe 3-8M depending on frequency) are on blood thinners. At some point, they are new to blood thinners. Keep that in mind when discussing covid. The extrapolation of these connections has reached absurdity.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
sllubwoc
Freshman
Posts: 83
And1: 98
Joined: Dec 08, 2020

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#45 » by sllubwoc » Yesterday 4:28 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Among Celtics who caught COVID-19:

-- Jayson Tatum is stil taking an inhaler before games.
-- Evan Fournier says he's mentally slow, and struggles with his depth perception.
-- Tristan Thompson, Robert Williams, Romeo Langford and Marcus Smart, to my knowledge, say none of that stuff.

What do your guys report?

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/5/3/22416679/evan-fourniers-performance-is-bigger-than-basketball-boston-celtics-portland-trail-blazers-covid-19


Well, someone in my family now has a chronic life-threading blood clotting condition after having Covid. She's older, since I know people will care about that, but it's noteworthy to me because she actually had a quite mild case of Covid.

Me personally I'm fortunate that I never had, and hopefully never will now that I'm vaccinated.


You should be safe from Covid-19. What I'm very interested in, is what Covid-20,21,23 ect, ect are going to do to people who aren't allowing mother nature take its course on their bodies. Masks, hiding inside, doing everything humanly possible to not get any type of sickness. Guess that will be another interesting thing to watch out for down the road. I already got Covid 19 and I'm assuming I'll probably get the next one next flu season. I'll be a living test dummy for you guys. :lol:
celtics543
Veteran
Posts: 2,767
And1: 2,440
Joined: Dec 29, 2004
       

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#46 » by celtics543 » Yesterday 5:08 pm

sllubwoc wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Among Celtics who caught COVID-19:

-- Jayson Tatum is stil taking an inhaler before games.
-- Evan Fournier says he's mentally slow, and struggles with his depth perception.
-- Tristan Thompson, Robert Williams, Romeo Langford and Marcus Smart, to my knowledge, say none of that stuff.

What do your guys report?

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/5/3/22416679/evan-fourniers-performance-is-bigger-than-basketball-boston-celtics-portland-trail-blazers-covid-19


Well, someone in my family now has a chronic life-threading blood clotting condition after having Covid. She's older, since I know people will care about that, but it's noteworthy to me because she actually had a quite mild case of Covid.

Me personally I'm fortunate that I never had, and hopefully never will now that I'm vaccinated.


You should be safe from Covid-19. What I'm very interested in, is what Covid-20,21,23 ect, ect are going to do to people who aren't allowing mother nature take its course on their bodies. Masks, hiding inside, doing everything humanly possible to not get any type of sickness. Guess that will be another interesting thing to watch out for down the road. I already got Covid 19 and I'm assuming I'll probably get the next one next flu season. I'll be a living test dummy for you guys. :lol:


I'll ignore the fact that you don't seem to understand what the 19 in Covid-19 stands for and go along with this flawed thinking for a minute. Wouldn't that mean people have already had COVID 1 - 18 and they would have theoretically been better adapted to fight off COVID-19? How come this one was worse?

It's not a flu. NBA players don't take months to recover from the flu. I get what you're saying about building natural immunity but some viruses are different. The plague or the flu of 1918 for example. Natural immunity is great and people should build up theirs but there are times when natural immunity isn't enough. You can make the grand scale statement that it's how natural selection works and scientifically speaking you're correct but in real life those are people's friends and family that are dying.
perempe20
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,332
And1: 684
Joined: Aug 20, 2015
 

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#47 » by perempe20 » Yesterday 5:13 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:-- Jayson Tatum is stil taking an inhaler before games.

what substance does he use?
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,092
And1: 35,283
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#48 » by The Comedian » Yesterday 5:39 pm

Tatum had the worst shooting month of his career post Covid, but ever since the all star break, he’s pretty much looked like his normal self.

27 PPG on a 59% TS in the 10 games pre Covid.
24 PPG on a 53% TS in the 21 games post Covid.
28 PPG on a 62% TS in the 28 games after the all star break.
User avatar
ItsDanger
General Manager
Posts: 8,650
And1: 5,384
Joined: Nov 01, 2008

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#49 » by ItsDanger » Yesterday 5:42 pm

sllubwoc wrote:
You should be safe from Covid-19. What I'm very interested in, is what Covid-20,21,23 ect, ect are going to do to people who aren't allowing mother nature take its course on their bodies. Masks, hiding inside, doing everything humanly possible to not get any type of sickness. Guess that will be another interesting thing to watch out for down the road. I already got Covid 19 and I'm assuming I'll probably get the next one next flu season. I'll be a living test dummy for you guys. :lol:

An even more interesting outcome will be the impact of influenza in the coming seasons after these preventative measures taken this past year.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
HabsAndDubs
Sophomore
Posts: 192
And1: 144
Joined: Jan 09, 2020

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#50 » by HabsAndDubs » Yesterday 5:47 pm

Draymond Green started the season off really slow, and Wiseman got COVID too and looked all sorts of lost and outmatched during long stretches of the season. Could be some different factors there, but it should be alarming to everyone that some of the fittest people in the country are experiencing serious lingering effects from this.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 50,004
And1: 10,496
Joined: Jun 23, 2001
   

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#51 » by BBallFreak » Yesterday 7:29 pm

sllubwoc wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Among Celtics who caught COVID-19:

-- Jayson Tatum is stil taking an inhaler before games.
-- Evan Fournier says he's mentally slow, and struggles with his depth perception.
-- Tristan Thompson, Robert Williams, Romeo Langford and Marcus Smart, to my knowledge, say none of that stuff.

What do your guys report?

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/5/3/22416679/evan-fourniers-performance-is-bigger-than-basketball-boston-celtics-portland-trail-blazers-covid-19


Well, someone in my family now has a chronic life-threading blood clotting condition after having Covid. She's older, since I know people will care about that, but it's noteworthy to me because she actually had a quite mild case of Covid.

Me personally I'm fortunate that I never had, and hopefully never will now that I'm vaccinated.


You should be safe from Covid-19. What I'm very interested in, is what Covid-20,21,23 ect, ect are going to do to people who aren't allowing mother nature take its course on their bodies. Masks, hiding inside, doing everything humanly possible to not get any type of sickness. Guess that will be another interesting thing to watch out for down the road. I already got Covid 19 and I'm assuming I'll probably get the next one next flu season. I'll be a living test dummy for you guys. :lol:

Well, why bother with the polio vaccine, then? Mumps? Measles? Rubella? Got diabetes? Screw insulin! Cancer? Forget surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy. A heart condition? Don't bother getting a pacemaker. Let's just let natural selection take its course!

I had COVID, as well. For me, it was minor. My best friend had it. He was in the hospital for a month on oxygen and had extreme difficulty even speaking. Had multiple seizures and almost died, twice. When they sent him home (and they sent him home earlier than they should because he still needed the oxygen, but they needed the bed more) he had nerve damage in both his hands and feet. Months later, he's still foggy-headed and fatigued. His wife, who is pregnant, had to be hooked up to a heart monitor because they weren't sure if the virus had damaged the organ.

One of my closest friends from high school and her husband got the virus. He recovered. She didn't. Ended up on a ventilator for a month before finally succumbing. Then, a few weeks after she died, he had a massive heart attack and died. COVID destroyed his heart.

I'm 44 years old. These are real people around my age. Too young to suffer like that. Too young to die. COVID isn't a freaking cold! Yes, it's likely you'll live through it, and thank goodness for that, but you may not, and you may never be the same even if you do. Stop being so flippant. COVID is real and it's serious...
Shock Defeat
General Manager
Posts: 7,884
And1: 13,687
Joined: Aug 30, 2012
       

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#52 » by Shock Defeat » Yesterday 8:11 pm

HabsAndDubs wrote:Draymond Green started the season off really slow, and Wiseman got COVID too and looked all sorts of lost and outmatched during long stretches of the season. Could be some different factors there, but it should be alarming to everyone that some of the fittest people in the country are experiencing serious lingering effects from this.

It is alarming, but I can't believe people were saying it's just like the flu last year. Heck, some people still say that it's like the flu now.
User avatar
MadDogSHWA
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,899
And1: 3,085
Joined: Nov 17, 2004

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#53 » by MadDogSHWA » Yesterday 8:16 pm

751 Americans died yesterday from COVID.
'Bury' Trent JR

Image
HabsAndDubs
Sophomore
Posts: 192
And1: 144
Joined: Jan 09, 2020

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#54 » by HabsAndDubs » Yesterday 8:27 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:
HabsAndDubs wrote:Draymond Green started the season off really slow, and Wiseman got COVID too and looked all sorts of lost and outmatched during long stretches of the season. Could be some different factors there, but it should be alarming to everyone that some of the fittest people in the country are experiencing serious lingering effects from this.

It is alarming, but I can't believe people were saying it's just like the flu last year. Heck, some people still say that it's like the flu now.

Yeah, people are absolute bozos. There are athletes healthier than any of us here who have been completely wiped out because of this and people are still BSing about the “99.99997% of people recover!!”. Like yeah okay your fat ass that doesn’t leave your couch is going to be fine, while Jayson Tatum struggles to breathe properly? Lol ok
nikster
General Manager
Posts: 8,048
And1: 6,596
Joined: Sep 08, 2013

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#55 » by nikster » Yesterday 8:33 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
sllubwoc wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Well, someone in my family now has a chronic life-threading blood clotting condition after having Covid. She's older, since I know people will care about that, but it's noteworthy to me because she actually had a quite mild case of Covid.

Me personally I'm fortunate that I never had, and hopefully never will now that I'm vaccinated.


You should be safe from Covid-19. What I'm very interested in, is what Covid-20,21,23 ect, ect are going to do to people who aren't allowing mother nature take its course on their bodies. Masks, hiding inside, doing everything humanly possible to not get any type of sickness. Guess that will be another interesting thing to watch out for down the road. I already got Covid 19 and I'm assuming I'll probably get the next one next flu season. I'll be a living test dummy for you guys. :lol:

Well, why bother with the polio vaccine, then? Mumps? Measles? Rubella? Got diabetes? Screw insulin! Cancer? Forget surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy. A heart condition? Don't bother getting a pacemaker. Let's just let natural selection take its course!

I had COVID, as well. For me, it was minor. My best friend had it. He was in the hospital for a month on oxygen and had extreme difficulty even speaking. Had multiple seizures and almost died, twice. When they sent him home (and they sent him home earlier than they should because he still needed the oxygen, but they needed the bed more) he had nerve damage in both his hands and feet. Months later, he's still foggy-headed and fatigued. His wife, who is pregnant, had to be hooked up to a heart monitor because they weren't sure if the virus had damaged the organ.

One of my closest friends from high school and her husband got the virus. He recovered. She didn't. Ended up on a ventilator for a month before finally succumbing. Then, a few weeks after she died, he had a massive heart attack and died. COVID destroyed his heart.

I'm 44 years old. These are real people around my age. Too young to suffer like that. Too young to die. COVID isn't a freaking cold! Yes, it's likely you'll live through it, and thank goodness for that, but you may not, and you may never be the same even if you do. Stop being so flippant. COVID is real and it's serious...

Yup, it seems like a lot of these anti-vaxxers are just anti medicine/science in general. But many of these people will still rush to an hospital in an emergency to put their lives in the hands of the same doctors telling them to get vaccinated
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 43,762
And1: 12,611
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Cali
   

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#56 » by Doctor MJ » Yesterday 9:03 pm

sllubwoc wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Among Celtics who caught COVID-19:

-- Jayson Tatum is stil taking an inhaler before games.
-- Evan Fournier says he's mentally slow, and struggles with his depth perception.
-- Tristan Thompson, Robert Williams, Romeo Langford and Marcus Smart, to my knowledge, say none of that stuff.

What do your guys report?

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/5/3/22416679/evan-fourniers-performance-is-bigger-than-basketball-boston-celtics-portland-trail-blazers-covid-19


Well, someone in my family now has a chronic life-threading blood clotting condition after having Covid. She's older, since I know people will care about that, but it's noteworthy to me because she actually had a quite mild case of Covid.

Me personally I'm fortunate that I never had, and hopefully never will now that I'm vaccinated.


You should be safe from Covid-19. What I'm very interested in, is what Covid-20,21,23 ect, ect are going to do to people who aren't allowing mother nature take its course on their bodies. Masks, hiding inside, doing everything humanly possible to not get any type of sickness. Guess that will be another interesting thing to watch out for down the road. I already got Covid 19 and I'm assuming I'll probably get the next one next flu season. I'll be a living test dummy for you guys. :lol:


Hmm. I don't think you understand how the human immune system works.

The entire thing about vaccines is that they are simply piggy backing on what our body's immune system already does. The word "vaccine" means "cow", a reference to cowpox, because it was noted that those who'd had cowpox were better able to fight off smallpox, so people were exposed to cowpox to allow the immune system to build the antibodies that would allow it to fight of smallpox.

This puts it in a very different category from antibiotics which are trying to kill the disease so your immune system doesn't have to.

All this to say: There's every reason to think that if you and I had comparably effective immune systems before, mine is now stronger because I got the vaccine. There's literally no reason to think of this as a situation where I'm keeping my immune system from getting stronger because of the reliance on the vaccine.

To be clear: I'm not saying that nothing bad could possibly ever happen to someone who gets the vaccine. There are many unknowns. But fundamentally, getting a vaccine is a bit analogous to practicing basketball before you play a real game to gain skill at playing basketball.

Re: should be safe from Covid-19 but what about Covid-20. I'm going to assume you're saying this a bit tongue in cheek, but to be clear, while I think the vaccines available are the best thing to get to protect you from Covid-19 and all future variants of the disease, I don't consider anything to be a sure thing.

This is something new, and the intuition we have based on the flu is problematic when looking at a new disease.
Hey: With what's going on in the world, my fuse is shorter than it used to be, and it's leading my lose my cool and then go on self-imposed breaks from things (such as RealGM). Please try to keep it civil, and I'll be looking to do the same.
Metallikid
RealGM
Posts: 10,385
And1: 9,634
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#57 » by Metallikid » Yesterday 9:03 pm

celtics543 wrote:
sllubwoc wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Well, someone in my family now has a chronic life-threading blood clotting condition after having Covid. She's older, since I know people will care about that, but it's noteworthy to me because she actually had a quite mild case of Covid.

Me personally I'm fortunate that I never had, and hopefully never will now that I'm vaccinated.


You should be safe from Covid-19. What I'm very interested in, is what Covid-20,21,23 ect, ect are going to do to people who aren't allowing mother nature take its course on their bodies. Masks, hiding inside, doing everything humanly possible to not get any type of sickness. Guess that will be another interesting thing to watch out for down the road. I already got Covid 19 and I'm assuming I'll probably get the next one next flu season. I'll be a living test dummy for you guys. :lol:


I'll ignore the fact that you don't seem to understand what the 19 in Covid-19 stands for and go along with this flawed thinking for a minute. Wouldn't that mean people have already had COVID 1 - 18 and they would have theoretically been better adapted to fight off COVID-19? How come this one was worse?

It's not a flu. NBA players don't take months to recover from the flu. I get what you're saying about building natural immunity but some viruses are different. The plague or the flu of 1918 for example. Natural immunity is great and people should build up theirs but there are times when natural immunity isn't enough. You can make the grand scale statement that it's how natural selection works and scientifically speaking you're correct but in real life those are people's friends and family that are dying.


Covid is much closer to the flu than it is to either Smallpox or the Spanish Flu. Saying it is like those diseases is not only a blatant lie, but outright fearmongering. Go look at the death rates. Follow the science.
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *
Metallikid
RealGM
Posts: 10,385
And1: 9,634
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#58 » by Metallikid » Yesterday 9:09 pm

HabsAndDubs wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:
HabsAndDubs wrote:Draymond Green started the season off really slow, and Wiseman got COVID too and looked all sorts of lost and outmatched during long stretches of the season. Could be some different factors there, but it should be alarming to everyone that some of the fittest people in the country are experiencing serious lingering effects from this.

It is alarming, but I can't believe people were saying it's just like the flu last year. Heck, some people still say that it's like the flu now.

Yeah, people are absolute bozos. There are athletes healthier than any of us here who have been completely wiped out because of this and people are still BSing about the “99.99997% of people recover!!”. Like yeah okay your fat ass that doesn’t leave your couch is going to be fine, while Jayson Tatum struggles to breathe properly? Lol ok


Almost my entire American family had it, more than 10 people. All of them overweight, some severely. Nobody had anything other than mild flu-like symptoms and after a month no one has reported any additional fatigue.

If you're going to use anecdotes you should realize there are a lot more about people getting it and being completely fine in a short period of time with no lingering effects whatsoever.

But instead you're going to choose whichever piece of evidence that triggers a fear response instead.
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *
Metallikid
RealGM
Posts: 10,385
And1: 9,634
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#59 » by Metallikid » Yesterday 9:21 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:751 Americans died yesterday from COVID.


Approximately 7,500 people die everyday in the United States. What is your point?

You know almost twice as many people who have died from Covid total, died from Tobacco in Canada just in 2020?

"Tobacco use continues to be the leading preventable cause of premature death in Canada. While tobacco use has decreased, a significant number of Canadians still use tobacco and cigarette smoking kills 45,000 Canadians each year."

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/publications/healthy-living/canada-tobacco-strategy/overview-canada-tobacco-strategy.html

I never heard anyone saying we should ban cigarettes permanently over the strain smokers put on our medical system and ICUs.

We never justified crushing human rights over deaths from second hand smoke.

Almost everyone in here has lost all sense of priority, proportionality, and rationality.
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *
Shock Defeat
General Manager
Posts: 7,884
And1: 13,687
Joined: Aug 30, 2012
       

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#60 » by Shock Defeat » Yesterday 9:29 pm

Metallikid wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:751 Americans died yesterday from COVID.


Approximately 7,500 people die everyday in the United States. What is your point?

You know almost twice as many people who have died from Covid total, died from Tobacco in Canada just in 2020?

"Tobacco use continues to be the leading preventable cause of premature death in Canada. While tobacco use has decreased, a significant number of Canadians still use tobacco and cigarette smoking kills 45,000 Canadians each year."

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/publications/healthy-living/canada-tobacco-strategy/overview-canada-tobacco-strategy.html

I never heard anyone saying we should ban cigarettes permanently over the strain smokers put on our medical system and ICUs.

We never justified crushing human rights over deaths from second hand smoke.

Almost everyone in here has lost all sense of priority, proportionality, and rationality.

Maybe if cigarette smoke destroys health systems like what’s happening in India right now, then we should ban smoking.

Return to The General Board