Why are people so mad at the Lakers?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

DoctorX
Veteran
And1: 3,510

Re: Why are people so mad at the Lakers? 

Post#81 » by DoctorX » Wed May 5, 2021 2:32 am

donnieme wrote:
DoctorX wrote:
JN61 wrote:
Yes, they can be thankful where they are located. If there weren't Kings and Knicks they would be competing for the worst run franchise in last 10+ years. Heck they already might be 3rd on that list all things considering.

Lebron unfortunately opened up pandora's box for them. Prior to Lebron signing with them stars and superstars wouldn't sign with them because they had a **** roster and didn't believe it was possible to win a title with that type of roster. For example a star player like Lamarcus Aldridge wouldn't sign with them in '16 due to them having a terrible roster.

Lebron signing with the Lakers and then getting AD to force a trade to the Lakers just shows other players that you can easily create a title team with the Lakers. I see other superstar players attempting the Lebron route with the Lakers. They will sign with the Lakers in FA even if the roster is garbage because they know they can get another player to force a trade to the Lakers.

Got news for you. The Lakers have been doing that with free agents since the 60s. Wilt, Kareem and Shaq all left their teams for the location. Lebron wasn't even the first of this generation. Once Magic joined their front office we saw a number of superstars tried to force trades to LA specifically. Paul George, Kawhi and someone else I'm forgetting. Awful GM but GOAT recruiter

First of all don't try to be a smart ass with me. I know the history of the league pretty well. Second of all when Wilt joined the Lakers they didn't have a **** roster. They had West and Baylor who were superstars during their era. Third of all when Shaq joined the Lakers they had Eddie Jones, Ceballos(Granted they would trade Cedric later on),Van Exel, Elden Campbell who were all above average players and borderline all-stars. I'll give you Kareem since he was traded to the Lakers who didn't have a good roster when he joined at the time.

Historically superstar players don't sign with teams that have crappy lottery type of rosters. It doesn't happen. The league has changed now that players can easily force trades to whatever locations they want but no one was going to come to the Lakers alone. Lebron was really the first player to ever do that. Yes you mention Kawhi wanted to go there but it was contingent on him having PG with him or some other superstar. He wasn't going to go there alone and sacrifice a year with lottery talent like Lebron did. Lebron pretty much set up the blue print for other players to follow when it comes to signing with the Lakers which is even if they can't get you help immediately just stick it out and someone will eventually force a trade to get there.
JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#82 » by JazzyPhinz » Wed May 5, 2021 2:58 am

Wallace_Wallace wrote:
lamscott wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:
Absolutely. Besides San Diego, most places in SoCal aren't that enjoyable besides food. Hotels are more expensive and small compare to other cities. But then again, players can live wherever they want to; I'm sure Brentwood or Beverly Hills is heavily protected by police and securities from every community.

Where did you go my guy? You absolutely wrong, but I want to hear this.

I mainly go there visit my relatives. I'm Chinese, we mainly stay at around Monterey Park, Alhambra, San Gabriel. I've also went to downtown LA, Little Tokyo. Theme parks are way to packed for me (1 hour wait for a decent ride/venue).

Beach wise, I went to Venice beach, Long beach, Redondo beach (bomb seafood place in the pier), and Malibu beach. La Jolla and Coronado beach are nice, so I do like San Diego, one of my favorite cities to visit.

The food is really good, that's a good reason to visit California. I don't see myself living there though.

Only broke ppl would hate socal tbh. I love it out here. Been here over a decade. Moved from the east coast. I don't ever plan to go back.
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,172

Post#83 » by donnieme » Wed May 5, 2021 3:13 am

DoctorX wrote:
donnieme wrote:
DoctorX wrote:
Lebron unfortunately opened up pandora's box for them. Prior to Lebron signing with them stars and superstars wouldn't sign with them because they had a **** roster and didn't believe it was possible to win a title with that type of roster. For example a star player like Lamarcus Aldridge wouldn't sign with them in '16 due to them having a terrible roster.

Lebron signing with the Lakers and then getting AD to force a trade to the Lakers just shows other players that you can easily create a title team with the Lakers. I see other superstar players attempting the Lebron route with the Lakers. They will sign with the Lakers in FA even if the roster is garbage because they know they can get another player to force a trade to the Lakers.

Got news for you. The Lakers have been doing that with free agents since the 60s. Wilt, Kareem and Shaq all left their teams for the location. Lebron wasn't even the first of this generation. Once Magic joined their front office we saw a number of superstars tried to force trades to LA specifically. Paul George, Kawhi and someone else I'm forgetting. Awful GM but GOAT recruiter

First of all don't try to be a smart ass with me. I know the history of the league pretty well. Second of all when Wilt joined the Lakers they didn't have a **** roster. They had West and Baylor who were superstars during their era. Third of all when Shaq joined the Lakers they had Eddie Jones, Ceballos(Granted they would trade Cedric later on),Van Exel, Elden Campbell who were all above average players and borderline all-stars. I'll give you Kareem since he was traded to the Lakers who didn't have a good roster when he joined at the time.

Historically superstar players don't sign with teams that have crappy lottery type of rosters. It doesn't happen. The league has changed now that players can easily force trades to whatever locations they want but no one was going to come to the Lakers alone. Lebron was really the first player to ever do that. Yes you mention Kawhi wanted to go there but it was contingent on him having PG with him or some other superstar. He wasn't going to go there alone and sacrifice a year with lottery talent like Lebron did. Lebron pretty much set up the blue print for other players to follow when it comes to signing with the Lakers which is even if they can't get you help immediately just stick it out and someone will eventually force a trade to get there.

Doesnt take much to make you feel condescended to, does it? Relax, that wasn't the intention. Anyway Kawhi hadn't yet formulated that plan to have PG join him when he was burning bridges on the Spurs. As for Shaq the Lakers might have been promising but they weren't yet contenders and it was no sure thing. Kobe wasn't yet Kobe. Wilt also went there for location as well as to form a superteam. By his own words he also came to LA to bang white women. Mods please dont strike me, Wilt actually said that

edit by the way and AD wasn't yet part of Klutch when Lebron joined the Lakers. He made the leap before it was sure anyone else would join. Lakers have always been/will always be a premier destination for the extra stuff as well as competition.
Gabe Ball
Junior
And1: 131

Post#84 » by Gabe Ball » Wed May 5, 2021 3:26 am

I wouldn't so much attach a name to that hate but more so a process, which could just as easily be applied to any other big market team. If it wasn't L.A., then the next big market would repeat the same process of picking up good, already built players and essentially gaining a major advantage.

The problem is making games less enjoyable knowing your small market team barely stands a chance since it's developing its core youth. In this case, it's the Lakers, and that name may change in the future, but the process is still the same regardless of the team name, and that's where the hate really comes from.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,373

Post#85 » by Raps in 4 » Wed May 5, 2021 3:38 am

DaPessimist wrote:Same reason people don't like the Celtics, or the Yankees, or the Patriots.

I don't hate the Celtics or Patriots the same way I hate the Lakers. I hate them because Boston is a division rival. I've also traditionally hated a lot of their players (in terms of personality) and envy their success. But I respect them.

The Yankees I hate as division rivals but also because, like the Lakers, they rely on their location and payroll to get a leg up on other teams (although, ironically, it's harder for a big market team to dominate in the salary cap-less MLB than in the NBA).

I hate the Lakers purely for how they undermine competition in the NBA. They haven't had to go through the struggles other teams go through to reach success. They bypass the entire process of team-building and just go to contender status overnight because they are located in LA. It doesn't matter if the Lakers are well managed or poorly managed because the best players will always want to play there.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,285

Post#86 » by Jedi32 » Wed May 5, 2021 4:46 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
FrobeBryant wrote:Can’t ask haters why they hate. It’s like asking cows why they moo. They just do cause their own team sucks and so does their city. Its just LA envy, that’s why there’s a “Beat LA” chant at every visiting arena.

Nah, it's just people hating that everything is rigged in Lakers' favor because the league profits the most if the Lakers and Lebron/Kobe win. But unfairly privileged people very often really try hard not to see that their privilege is unfair, they really believe it's justified, so it's not expected from Lakers fans to feel the way you feel.

:waaa: :waaa: :waaa:
Jedi32
Head Coach

Post#87 » by Jedi32 » Wed May 5, 2021 4:53 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
DaPessimist wrote:Same reason people don't like the Celtics, or the Yankees, or the Patriots.

I don't hate the Celtics or Patriots the same way I hate the Lakers. I hate them because Boston is a division rival. I've also traditionally hated a lot of their players (in terms of personality) and envy their success. But I respect them.

The Yankees I hate as division rivals but also because, like the Lakers, they rely on their location and payroll to get a leg up on other teams (although, ironically, it's harder for a big market team to dominate in the salary cap-less MLB than in the NBA).

I hate the Lakers purely for how they undermine competition in the NBA. They haven't had to go through the struggles other teams go through to reach success. They bypass the entire process of team-building and just go to contender status overnight because they are located in LA. It doesn't matter if the Lakers are well managed or poorly managed because the best players will always want to play there.

This lie is old and tired. When the Lakers were poorly ran no good players wanted to come here. Just off the top of my head I remember Aldridge and melo not wanting to come in their prime because we weren't run properly. Fact is once the Lakers cleaned house , got rid of some bad contracts and drafted some good young tradeable talent they were able to make moves to get where they are. Being in Los Angeles doesn't hurt the Lakers, but it's a flat out lie to keep saying the Lakers can be run like trash and still attract talent. The FO has done a good job of running this team since mitch and jims departure.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#88 » by Raps in 4 » Wed May 5, 2021 4:56 pm

Jedi32 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

This lie is old and tired. When the Lakers were poorly ran no good players wanted to come here. Just off the top of my head I remember Aldridge and melo not wanting to come in their prime because we weren't run properly. Fact is once the Lakers cleaned house , got rid of some bad contracts and drafted some good young tradeable talent they were able to make moves to get where they are. Being in Los Angeles doesn't hurt the Lakers, but it's a flat out lie to keep saying the Lakers can be run like trash and still attract talent. The FO has done a good job of running this team since mitch and jims departure.

The Lakers were a collection of middling prospects when Lebron signed with them. There were at least a dozen better run teams where Lebron would have been a better fit, but he chose LA because it's LA. His wife wanted to live there and he wanted to film a movie. The team was nowhere near competitive when he arrived.
Jedi32
Head Coach

Post#89 » by Jedi32 » Wed May 5, 2021 6:32 pm

Just because you thought there were better fits elsewhere for LeBron, doesn't mean he felt the same.
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,284

Post#90 » by ciueli » Wed May 5, 2021 6:56 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
Attractive cities don't need to rebuild. Sooner or later a star will want to go there. It's why the Nets and Clippers had no problems giving away all their picks.

Small markets have to grow their own food. Big markets just go to the grocery store and pick what they want.

To be fair, LA is effectively an overgrown dump at this point. But if you’re rich enough I suppose there’s still plenty of appeal to the city.

The weather is perfect year-round and every famous person lives there. Sure most of the city is a dump, but the rich live in their secluded bubble.

Half the year it's too hot, they have horrendous smog problems because it virtually never rains, and now they have severe issues with wildfires. Oh, and earthquakes. It's not perfect.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,188

Post#91 » by levon » Wed May 5, 2021 7:06 pm

I love how nobody extends the Lebron bull to his return to Cleveland. When Lebron went back, he left the team he won two rings with to play with an undersized scoring PG who had injury concerns, and a Wiggins that he had no interest in playing with. There were better fits for Lebron then too, but he went back to live there and deliver for his community. But nobody talks about Cleveland getting an unfair advantage after Dan Gilbert threw a hissy fit and they lucked into multiple #1 picks and picked the bust of the millenium.

**** off with this market persecution bs

"he wanted to make movies" they all live in LA every summer and filming for Space Jam lasted like two months

god forbid Lebron, a billionaire when his Nike contract finishes, moves his family where they want to go, and moves his sons to the basketball Mecca

do you realize how weak and entitled you all sound?
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,376

Post#92 » by phanman » Wed May 5, 2021 7:15 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:

They literally missed the playoffs from the 2013-14 season until last season 2019-20. 6 straight years with win totals: 27, 21, 17, 26, 35 and 37 changing coaches, GMs and essentially ownership with Jeanie taking over. I mean they haven't missed the playoffs more than 6x combined in their entire history dating all the way back to when they were in Minneapolis in 1948.

I get that people don't like how they built their team but lets not act like they didn't give up a King's Ransom to the Pelicans in exchange for AD. 2x former #2 picks in Lonzo (who is about to get paid), Ingram (who was maxed), Hart (key rotation player) and 3 FRPs.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,716

Post#93 » by Jadoogar » Wed May 5, 2021 8:35 pm

ciueli wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:
To be fair, LA is effectively an overgrown dump at this point. But if you’re rich enough I suppose there’s still plenty of appeal to the city.

The weather is perfect year-round and every famous person lives there. Sure most of the city is a dump, but the rich live in their secluded bubble.

Half the year it's too hot, they have horrendous smog problems because it virtually never rains, and now they have severe issues with wildfires. Oh, and earthquakes. It's not perfect.

No one said it's perfect. I've also hate LA whenever i've visited. Point is, players view it as a destination. Hollywood, weather, beaches.
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,285

Post#94 » by FreeSpiritNY » Wed May 5, 2021 8:58 pm

It’s simple with all the talent on their roster and almost the same players from last season regardless of injuries you shouldn’t complain after your a bottom seed and might not make the playoffs. You that ish before the season starts. Lebron will never take accountability unless his team wins I really hate the guy
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,284

Post#95 » by ciueli » Wed May 5, 2021 9:42 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
ciueli wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

No one said it's perfect. I've also hate LA whenever i've visited. Point is, players view it as a destination. Hollywood, weather, beaches.

That's literally exactly what the poster I quoted said.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,716

Post#96 » by Jadoogar » Wed May 5, 2021 9:48 pm

ciueli wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
ciueli wrote:

That's literally exactly what the poster I quoted said.

what city has perfect weather? clearly players prefer the heat to the cold.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#97 » by Raps in 4 » Thu May 6, 2021 2:18 am

ciueli wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:

All big cities have a smog problem and the heat is vastly preferred by 99% of human beings over the cold. Spend a year in Canada and LA will seem like heaven on earth.

~25 C year-round with limited seasonal variation, no rain, no storms, and low humidity. That's as close to perfect weather as you can get.
Jedi32
Head Coach

Post#98 » by Jedi32 » Thu May 6, 2021 2:34 am

levon wrote:I love how nobody extends the Lebron bull to his return to Cleveland. When Lebron went back, he left the team he won two rings with to play with an undersized scoring PG who had injury concerns, and a Wiggins that he had no interest in playing with. There were better fits for Lebron then too, but he went back to live there and deliver for his community. But nobody talks about Cleveland getting an unfair advantage after Dan Gilbert threw a hissy fit and they lucked into multiple #1 picks and picked the bust of the millenium.

**** off with this market persecution bs

"he wanted to make movies" they all live in LA every summer and filming for Space Jam lasted like two months

god forbid Lebron, a billionaire when his Nike contract finishes, moves his family where they want to go, and moves his sons to the basketball Mecca

do you realize how weak and entitled you all sound?

/thread

Return to The General Board