So you still dislike the Play-In, eh?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,304

Re: So you still dislike the Play-In, eh? 

Post#61 » by NoStatsGuy » Wed May 12, 2021 10:29 am

Raps in 4 wrote:It's pointless. The NBA already allows 16 teams into the playoffs, which is more than half the teams in the league. They didn't need wild card spots.

its great for the competetive integrity!

teams lose steam at the end of the regular season or started rly bad.

this way you make sure get the 8 teams, that are deserving and in the best form to compete.
im bout dat action boss
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,035

Post#62 » by queridiculo » Wed May 12, 2021 11:44 am

clyde21 wrote:terrible idea, there are way better ways to make the regular season more competitive than letting 70% of the teams make the POs.

The same number of teams make the playoffs?
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#63 » by Da ThRONe » Wed May 12, 2021 11:45 am

SuppaSlick wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:Yeah it's dumb and make the regular season even more meaningless. And extends the playoffs for 0 reason.

Make the playoffs 6 teams from each division, 1rst round 5 game series.

So less basketball is the solution to the NBA wanting to make more money? :banghead:

You can make a logically argument that this is very much the case. I made it over decade ago. When there's a level of over saturation it decreases interest. Most people are casual fans and casual fans tend to only pay attention to the marquee matchups. It hard to have marquee match ups under the current 82 game season for various reasons.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,943

Post#64 » by p0peye » Wed May 12, 2021 1:55 pm

I root for lottery to decide top 5 picks (not only 4), it would reduce incentive for tanking even further.
Memories
Veteran
And1: 4,822

Post#65 » by Memories » Wed May 12, 2021 1:59 pm

Yes I do. The play-in in its current format is very stupid and unnecessary.

What they should do is do it like the MLB and just have a one game playoff between the 8th vs 9th seed. That would be exciting and the rules for it wouldn't be so damn convoluted like this play-in.
Memories wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Memories wrote:So still not at all over yet.

Nah it’s over 121 to 107

Clippers go on a 15-0 run right after this, and eventually win the game. :lol:
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,530

Post#66 » by Rapcity_11 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:22 pm

Memories wrote:Yes I do. The play-in in its current format is very stupid and unnecessary.

What they should do is do it like the MLB and just have a one game playoff between the 8th vs 9th seed. That would be exciting and the rules for it wouldn't be so damn convoluted like this play-in.

How is 7 vs 8 for the #7 seed, and the winner of 9 vs 10 against the loser of 7 vs 8 for the #8 seed "so damn convoluted"? It's incredibly simple, and properly rewards the higher seeds in each game.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,528

Post#67 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:34 pm

Great idea, has worked out perfectly

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Isocleas2
Veteran
And1: 500

Post#68 » by Isocleas2 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:39 pm

I thought I'd dislike it but turns out it was a great idea. Keeping things interesting with less outright tanking and 4 more fanbases get some playoff excitement, even if only for a game or 2.
danvato
Rookie
And1: 1,041

Post#69 » by danvato » Wed May 12, 2021 3:56 pm

i'm convinced the only 'fans' that hate this are the same 'fans' that want their team to lose games so they can get a better draft pick.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,726

Post#70 » by HotelVitale » Wed May 12, 2021 4:05 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Memories wrote:Yes I do. The play-in in its current format is very stupid and unnecessary.

How is 7 vs 8 for the #7 seed, and the winner of 9 vs 10 against the loser of 7 vs 8 for the #8 seed "so damn convoluted"? It's incredibly simple, and properly rewards the higher seeds in each game.

Yeah, it’s pretty darn simple, and you can tell that was the point. Have a couple of high stakes games that give people clear rewards for being the higher seeds. It’s meaningful and has changed how teams strategize, but the actual tournament will be short and over quickly. Don’t think it’s taking up too much time or is a complex idea.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#71 » by Ballerhogger » Wed May 12, 2021 4:07 pm

yes i still think standard 8 top teams should be the only teams to go playoffs.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,127

Post#72 » by clyde21 » Wed May 12, 2021 5:54 pm

queridiculo wrote:
clyde21 wrote:terrible idea, there are way better ways to make the regular season more competitive than letting 70% of the teams make the POs.

lol, the "play ins" are essentially just an extension of the POs, it's win or go home, regardless of what u call them.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#73 » by nate33 » Wed May 12, 2021 6:25 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:Yeah it's dumb and make the regular season even more meaningless. And extends the playoffs for 0 reason.

I dunno.

Yeah, it's true that it makes it easier to squeak into the playoffs despite a terrible regular season record. But on the other hand, it makes a top 6 seed much more valuable than the 7/8 seed, so the regular season is even more important from that perspective. Teams are really motivated to with 47-50 games, rather than just coast in with 43 wins. I think, at worst, the two factors cancel each other out. But I honestly think it has inspired even harder regular season play on the whole because the price you pay for falling from the #6 to #7 seed is potentially massive.

One other good thing about the Play-In is it allows a pretty good team that suffered a significant injury early in the year to still have a chance to put together a late run and get back into it. Consider the Wizards. They started 6-17 because Westbrook was playing hurt and then they got decimated with Covid. Thanks to the Play-In, they never punted on the season and instead regrouped to go 26-20 over the rest of the season. Another scenario that almost came to pass: what if the Lakers had lost 2 more games while Lebron and AD were out? They'd be out of the playoff race without the Play-In Tournament, and nobody would want that. Early injuries would have deprived the world an opportunity to watch two of the top 10 players in the sport compete for a title.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,061

Post#74 » by tidho » Wed May 12, 2021 6:43 pm

SuppaSlick wrote:

So less basketball is the solution to the NBA wanting to make more money? :banghead:

If the 'problem' this was intended to solve was revenue generation then i don't think there's a case against it.

If its somehow actually about competitiveness, integrity, or even increasing meaning to games late in the season then there's a debate. The real problem is if a legitimately good 7th seed ends up missing the playoffs because they lose two games in favor of a team they had a 7 or 8 game lead on in the standings...then the regular season becomes less meaningful. Worse, if that 7th seen then wins the lottery because of flattened odds, for instance the LAL this year - just ugh.
danvato
Rookie
And1: 1,041

Post#75 » by danvato » Wed May 12, 2021 6:49 pm

clyde21 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:

lol, the "play ins" are essentially just an extension of the POs, it's win or go home, regardless of what u call them.

you're crying over 3 extra games in each conference, acting like there is some huge injustice being done for "earned" regular season performance.

lol indeed.
The Master
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,493

Post#76 » by The Master » Wed May 12, 2021 6:54 pm

Incredibly dumb, imagine 39-30 team (Lakers) playing one elimination game against 33-36 team (Spurs, if they beat Memphis) to make playoffs if Steph gets hot, and that's a possibility here. But it's all about $$$ these days.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,514

Post#77 » by nomansland » Wed May 12, 2021 6:56 pm

Let's see what happens.

Introducing a little more competition at the end of the season doesn't hurt anything. This is not unlike the wildcard playoffs in the NFL.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,127

Post#78 » by clyde21 » Wed May 12, 2021 7:30 pm

danvato wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:

you're crying over 3 extra games in each conference, acting like there is some huge injustice being done for "earned" regular season performance.

lol indeed.

lol wth are u talking about
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,882

Post#79 » by Effigy » Wed May 12, 2021 7:54 pm

Yeah, I think overall I like it. For the most part, it's pointless. I mean, it doesn't matter who the 9 or 10 seed is, they aren't winning a title even if they squeak into the playoffs as an 8 seed. So we're mostly just having a tournament to see who gets to get steamrolled in the first round (The Lakers are the obvious exception here, but they aren't going to be the 9 or 10 seed, they'd be locked into the playoffs in a normal year)

However it seemingly is causing teams to tank less which is nice. I'm very tired of watching teams just give up an mail it in in the last 25 games. So if it helps that, I'm all for it. And if my suckass team gets knocked out of the playoffs then they deserve it.
cornchip
Pro Prospect
And1: 509

Post#80 » by cornchip » Wed May 12, 2021 7:59 pm

The Master wrote:Incredibly dumb, imagine 39-30 team (Lakers) playing one elimination game against 33-36 team (Spurs, if they beat Memphis) to make playoffs if Steph gets hot, and that's a possibility here. But it's all about $$$ these days.

Am I the only one that would love to see this?

Rivalry game, Lakers implosion possibility, Spurs returning to a big time national game, Pop vs. Lebron...

Some pretty good storylines heading into a decisive game.

Return to The General Board