Minnesota had the worst record in the league 3 weeks ago

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Did Minnesota make a mistake not tanking?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 148

rand
Starter
And1: 3,159

Minnesota had the worst record in the league 3 weeks ago 

Post#1 » by rand » Tue May 11, 2021 12:20 pm

The Wolves are currently tied with Orlando for the league's 5th worst record at 21-47. They were 7-29 at the All-Star break. On April 16, before they beat Miami that night, they still had the league's worst record at 14-42. They've gone 7-5 since and they look good, not like your run-of-the-mill late season spurt by a bottom feeder. The combination of Russell, Edwards and Towns looks like a winner, particularly since Edwards stands to improve in the next few seasons.

What's really too bad is they didn't choose to lose just a few more games in this back half of the season. That's all they needed to do and could have done it while still getting plenty of minutes to Russell, Edwards and Towns. Instead they picked up some nice wins and maybe that helps carry over momentum into next season, but the momentum would probably have been built and carried over even if they lost 3 extra games because Towns and Rubio were rested. What's really key is that the Russell-Edwards-Towns trio got playing time to build chemistry and that could have been provided without all of these lottery odds killing wins.

Minnesota has 4 games left, vs Detroit tonight and then Denver, Boston and Dallas. One more win and they'll break the tie with Orlando and "rise" to the 25th worst record in the league, which is very likely where they're going to finish in the standings. The number of lottery balls they're going to lose will drop them from having a 40.17% chance of drawing a Top-3 pick (and of course thus keeping their pick at all) to having a 27.61% chance.

Edwards, Russell, Towns and...Cade? Mobley? Suggs? Green? Proportionately speaking, Minnesota has voluntarily decreased their odds of this happening by 1/3. In reality we'll never know whether the lost odds made a difference but the decision making just baffles me. Why wouldn't you take every percent chance you could get of making this happen when it costs you nothing? I hope they win more of their remaining games after they beat Detroit tonight and then defy the odds to keep their pick. It would be poetic justice.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,330

Re: Minnesota had the worst record in the league 3 weeks ago 

Post#2 » by iLLmatic860 » Tue May 11, 2021 12:23 pm

Kat wasting his career there. The longer he's there. People will consider him a loser
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,418

Post#3 » by Mavrelous » Tue May 11, 2021 12:24 pm

They are terribly run organization, even the Kings are better managed than them, but they are much better than their record because of injuries and coaching, I expect to have close to 50% record next year even without their pick.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,888

Post#4 » by Sofia » Tue May 11, 2021 12:25 pm

Can’t even fail properly.
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Post#5 » by AbeVigodaLive » Tue May 11, 2021 12:30 pm

Weird situation in Minnesota. But a few variables to add context...

1. Even if they went 14 - 58... the Wolves were most likely to lose the pick anyway. (60% chance of losing the pick no matter what) So at the very worst, now it could be 70% chance to lose this year's pick.
2. The Wolves have built around the draft for many years... and it's led to them being the worst team in the league. Ever.
3. The Wolves have notoriously intentionally tanked... soft-tanked... subtle tanked... and just sucked balls year after year after year. It didn't get them anywhere. When trying to lose... NOBODY has ever done it better. I've posted the ridiculous stats and stories about it here before.
4. The Wolves don't lose the pick forever. They either get/lose the pick this season... or next.
5. Back to losing... Minnesota is not like any other franchise. Why? Because no other culture has as rich of a history of losing as Minnesota. Just check the stats or record books for proof. It's the WORST organization. Ever. They've tried everything, except winning. Maybe creating a culture/identity/priority where winning is important will have far-reaching impact?
6. The Wolves have Towns (#1), Edwards (#1) and Russell (#2)... along with a bust at #6 (Culver). If that's not good enough... let's deliberately lose just for a chance for the same folks to make more poor draft choices and wait around for a few more losing seasons to see if they pan out?

Just win games. No organization in the NBA needs to prioritize winning more than Minnesota. "Meaningless" late-season games or not. Just try to win. Literally 29 other teams have done it better...
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#6 » by jwise44 » Tue May 11, 2021 12:33 pm

[list=][/list]I don’t know why for the other teams but I’m hoping the lottery lands 1. houston 2. Minny 3. Detroit 4. Orlando 5. Cleveland

But I know we’ll get the 5th and give it to okc

I just want us and minny to keep our picks
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,963

Post#7 » by Optms » Tue May 11, 2021 12:36 pm

Minnesota has been perpetually tanking since KG was traded back in 2007.

Draft picks aren't the problem. The consistent culture of losing has ensured them no success. Anthony Edwards won't be anything special either. And it won't be his fault entirely.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,386

Post#8 » by cupcakesnake » Tue May 11, 2021 12:50 pm

Advising Minnesota, of all teams, that they should prioritize losing and building through the draft is hilarious. OP think about who you're talking to! This advice would be standard for pretty much any other franchise.

The bad move was already made (giving up a way too lightly protected pick in the Russell-Wiggins trade. Still don't understand how they couldn't have gotten this pick top 8 protected or at least top 5).

We never expected to be in last place for much of the season. I didn't see playoffs, like some Minne fans were hoping, but no one predicted we'd be without Towns and Russell (and Beasley) for half the season. We were forced into tank-level losing by injuries. Now our best players are finally back and we're winning some games. If we continued the tank, and generated all sorts of feelings (and media) about how Russell/Towns/Edwards couldn't win anyways, we'd be going into next season feeling pretty miserable, even if we kept our pick (because being so obviously bad, that would just mean we'd lose a high pick in next years draft).

Our Rubio/Edwards/Naz+whoever was available lineups was who we were for a big chunk of the season, when we looked to be crusing for the last lineup. You can't expect us to keep losing at that rate when 3 injured starters come back and play well. Especially not when Orlando, Houston, and OKC went into mega tank mode after the deadline. The Wolves have pulled off some absolutely wildly clutch tank jobs in the past, so I thought they might again. But you can't really expect us to outtank the teams I mentioned after we get all our starters back, and to do all for a pick we were mathematically likely to lose no matter what.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,942

Post#9 » by Klomp » Tue May 11, 2021 2:06 pm

Some are critical of this winning down the stretch because of the pick owed, but I think they're forgetting the new lottery system. Moving from 1st to 6th odds only drops Minnesota's chance at a top-three pick from 40.2% to 27.6%. Two years ago, that drop would be from 64.2% to 18.3%. Very different situation now.

And yes, giving Golden State a lower pick is huge. In sixth slot, only 10.1% chance of giving No. 4 now, 8.1% of No. 6, and 52.2% it's lower than sixth.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,201

Post#10 » by brutalitops » Tue May 11, 2021 2:16 pm

Building a winning culture>>>Adding another talent

Sure we smashed the Magic by 30 points who are not trying, But We'll get better playing an almost full strength side bar probably our best and most consistent player this season in Beasley with having Edwards learn to play basketball and having D'lo and KAT actually play together

We had some close losses to NOLA Memphis and Miami who are playing HARD for a play-in spot, Not upset we showed absolute fight (Refs took KAT out of the Heat game and we just gave up too much fouls against Nola)

We've had two generally dissapointing games, both with KAT out. Rather go hard and hope a ball lands in place then suck, stagger KAT/Dlo/Edwards figure out how to play together and push it back another year

OR we can go and tank and pick up another talented player coming into the most turnover prone team in the league where it literally takes a generational talents in Garnett/KAT to blossom around consistent turmoil
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#11 » by jpatrick » Tue May 11, 2021 2:26 pm

What Klomp said is the important factor. Going from two to six only changed MN’s odds of keeping the keep from 40% to 27%. Neither case likely. While that’s not nothing, it’s worth giving up 13% to try and get player buy-in going into the offseason.

Under the old system, yeah, you tank off you’re the Wolves.
HabsAndDubs
Senior
And1: 489

Post#12 » by HabsAndDubs » Tue May 11, 2021 2:26 pm

What’s their record with KAT/DLo/Edwards healthy?

No point tanking with a young core to maybe get a lottery pick which they might lose anyways, when you can see this season’s last 20 games as an extended training camp for next year. I think with all their guys healthy, they can contend for the playoffs next year, so if I was them, I’d much rather see what my best players can do together instead of having them watch you lose 15 in a row just so you maybe get a player who maybe might be good down the line.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,716

Post#13 » by basketballRob » Tue May 11, 2021 2:31 pm

They have 2 number 1 picks and a number 2, they should be learning how to win.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Factorq
Sophomore
And1: 333

Post#14 » by Factorq » Tue May 11, 2021 2:50 pm

Minnesota should have definitely continued tanking. It's worked out wonderfully for them the last 15 years.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,516

Post#15 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 11, 2021 3:05 pm

IF they're healthy they really should be seeing how good/bad this group is together. That's just common sense imo. It's not like most teams who are healthy early and then switch into tank mode. They've been hurt. So it's time to test this out.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,201

Post#16 » by brutalitops » Tue May 11, 2021 3:07 pm

HabsAndDubs wrote:What’s their record with KAT/DLo/Edwards healthy?

No point tanking with a young core to maybe get a lottery pick which they might lose anyways, when you can see this season’s last 20 games as an extended training camp for next year. I think with all their guys healthy, they can contend for the playoffs next year, so if I was them, I’d much rather see what my best players can do together instead of having them watch you lose 15 in a row just so you maybe get a player who maybe might be good down the line.

9-7

Only real blowout loss was against the clippers in the middle of their red hot form and a minutes Restriction on D'lo and clearly holding him back

2 wins against the kings, One blowout to the magic who are in full tank mode.

We turn into a top 10 offense but a bottom 3 defense with KAT/Russell. I think Edwards/McDaniels and figuring out another wing defender which isnt Okogie really helps. KAT/Russell alone are going to give you 60-80 PPG. Edwards is a bonus its trying to find another player who can defend like Okogie but hit the 3 ball over 20% unlike Okogie
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,859

Post#17 » by BK_2020 » Tue May 11, 2021 3:10 pm

I think Okogie will figure it out soon and at least become Marcus Smart-level shooter from the three. He's always shot well from the FT line including 403 attempts in college which is the most reliable indicator of whether someone has a shot or not.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,942

Post#18 » by Klomp » Tue May 11, 2021 3:10 pm

Read on Twitter

The extended training camp is arguably more important for this group because of the midseason coaching change. 11-9 might not seem impressive, but it gets them into the play-in at least. Plus, they've been doing this without the team's next best player after those three (Beasley).
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
HabsAndDubs
Senior
And1: 489

Post#19 » by HabsAndDubs » Tue May 11, 2021 3:18 pm

brutalitops wrote:

9-7

Only real blowout loss was against the clippers in the middle of their red hot form and a minutes Restriction on D'lo and clearly holding him back

2 wins against the kings, One blowout to the magic who are in full tank mode.

We turn into a top 10 offense but a bottom 3 defense with KAT/Russell. I think Edwards/McDaniels and figuring out another wing defender which isnt Okogie really helps. KAT/Russell alone are going to give you 60-80 PPG. Edwards is a bonus its trying to find another player who can defend like Okogie but hit the 3 ball over 20% unlike Okogie

Yeah, having watching DLo last season with the warriors, he’s one of the worst defenders in the league, so it’ll be important to get some better wing defenders. But they’re still a ~.500 team when they’re all healthy, and that’s not even with Beasley, who’s another very good piece. Add in Anthony Edwards a year better, and filling out the roster with guys who are actually gonna help you win makes these guys a play in team at worst.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Post#20 » by AbeVigodaLive » Tue May 11, 2021 3:31 pm

BK_2020 wrote:I think Okogie will figure it out soon and at least become Marcus Smart-level shooter from the three. He's always shot well from the FT line including 403 attempts in college which is the most reliable indicator of whether someone has a shot or not.

He's played in 191 games as a pro. His three point percentage is actually trending down...

27.9%
26.6%
26.0%

Return to The General Board