Will Steph Curry legacy be tarnished if he doesn't win Finals MVP before his career is over?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

LouisLitt
Sixth Man
And1: 3,120

Re: Will Steph Curry legacy be tarnished if he doesn't win Finals MVP before his career is over? 

Post#101 » by LouisLitt » Wed May 12, 2021 1:47 pm

It depends on how good you think he is.

If you think he's a top 10 player of all-time, then yes.

But if you don't (like me), no. Not really surprised he hasn't won one.
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Re: Will Steph Curry legacy be tarnished if he doesn't win Finals MVP before his career is over? 

Post#102 » by Pg81 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:51 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:How do his overall Finals numbers compare?

26.5 ppg
5.7 reb
6.3 apg
42%ish fg
39%ish 3fg
92%ish ft

From there, things can get swallowed up in the vacuum. For example...

Curry:
26.8 ppg
8.0 reb
9.4 ast
44/39/90 splits
- a "failure" because he didn't win Finals MVP

Player B:
26.0 ppg
9.7 reb
2.0 ast
42/37/98 splits
- a historic performance of one man carrying his team to a title.

Did you just post Dirk's stats there? You are aware that Dirk had far less talent to work with right? Also missing just 1 FT over the course of 6 games in a series which will decide how most casual fans will view you, "choker" or "winner", for the rest of your career. Furthermore this series was his last shot. Never mind the torn tendon in his hand, the bum elbow and the sinus infection.
I do think that Curry should have won FMVP but I also think that Dirk's performance was more amazing everything else considered.
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#103 » by righterwriter » Wed May 12, 2021 1:53 pm

LouisLitt wrote:It depends on how good you think he is.

I'm a big Curry fan, but he's probably not top-10 best all-time unless he goes on a roll winning championships to end his career. He's neck and neck with Bird, but he'd need more to get past Kobe and Duncan.

Here's to hoping they Warriors get Minnesota's pick this year and can deal it with Wiseman for a stud veteran to help get them over the top. Or maybe if Klay can return to form, they can go for one last ride.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Post#104 » by AbeVigodaLive » Wed May 12, 2021 2:53 pm

Pg81 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:How do his overall Finals numbers compare?

26.5 ppg
5.7 reb
6.3 apg
42%ish fg
39%ish 3fg
92%ish ft

From there, things can get swallowed up in the vacuum. For example...

Curry:
26.8 ppg
8.0 reb
9.4 ast
44/39/90 splits
- a "failure" because he didn't win Finals MVP

Player B:
26.0 ppg
9.7 reb
2.0 ast
42/37/98 splits
- a historic performance of one man carrying his team to a title.

Did you just post Dirk's stats there? You are aware that Dirk had far less talent to work with right? Also missing just 1 FT over the course of 6 games in a series which will decide how most casual fans will view you, "choker" or "winner", for the rest of your career. Furthermore this series was his last shot. Never mind the torn tendon in his hand, the bum elbow and the sinus infection.
I do think that Curry should have won FMVP but I also think that Dirk's performance was more amazing everything else considered.

I wasn't discrediting Nowitzki's Finals...

Of course there are contextual things we have to consider for this award given to players after 4 - 7 games. That's my point.
TaylorTRoom
Pro Prospect
And1: 541

Post#106 » by TaylorTRoom » Wed May 12, 2021 3:13 pm

I’m not a huge Curry fan, but I have no problem with him in the top 10 all time. He is the greatest shooter the game has ever seen. Plus, he has great leadership skills (amazing mix of confidence and humility). Part of what makes him so great is his “gravity”, which makes it easier for teammates to excel and win a FMVP.

To me, greatness measures how easy it is to build a championship team around a certain player. Put Curry on a team and it gets easy to find pieces that fit for a championship squad.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#107 » by Ballerhogger » Wed May 12, 2021 3:15 pm

I mean it might look kinda bad when comparing him to MJ or Kareem or Lebron .
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,685

Post#108 » by Calvin Klein » Wed May 12, 2021 3:17 pm

Only for people who hate on him. Those who appreciate basketball as a whole and understand context know that Curry is an all time great not matters what happens. He's already up there.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#109 » by Galloisdaman » Wed May 12, 2021 3:30 pm

Doesn't matter at all. Sometimes writers like to give it to a guy that is not the best player or biggest name.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#110 » by Galloisdaman » Wed May 12, 2021 3:31 pm

righterwriter wrote:

I'm a big Curry fan, but he's probably not top-10 best all-time unless he goes on a roll winning championships to end his career. He's neck and neck with Bird, but he'd need more to get past Kobe and Duncan.

Here's to hoping they Warriors get Minnesota's pick this year and can deal it with Wiseman for a stud veteran to help get them over the top. Or maybe if Klay can return to form, they can go for one last ride.

Curry is a great player but I do not view Curry (nor Kobe) as good as Larry Bird.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,687

Post#111 » by Pointgod » Wed May 12, 2021 3:35 pm

Let’s be honest Steph should have won the finals MVP. With all due respect the only reason Iguodala won it is the consequence of letting the media vote for these awards.
HabsAndDubs
Senior
And1: 489

Post#112 » by HabsAndDubs » Wed May 12, 2021 3:42 pm

No, only babies think this. No one honestly thinks that the warriors would’ve sniffed anything close to a dynasty without Steph. I think it was a good gesture to give it to Iguodala, and KD’s two MVPs were well deserved, but Steph will be remembered as the straw that stirred the drink, and outside of forums and First Take, I doubt this will matter much. Still the best PG of all time, anything he does between now and when he retires is icing.
turnaroundJ
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,341

Post#113 » by turnaroundJ » Wed May 12, 2021 3:52 pm

if they win game 7 in 2016 we'd be looking at steph a lot differently. even if they lost the next few years. i honestly thought there was a time he could go for top 10 status. back then they really seemed "lightyears ahead". that 2016 team probably could've won a few other years too. steph with 4-5 titles and 2-3 fmvps is top 10-12 material. but there are so many factors to winning and it is what it is.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#114 » by Ballerhogger » Wed May 12, 2021 3:53 pm

Is curry top 15 if he never wins fmvp?
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,699

Post#115 » by stormi » Wed May 12, 2021 4:07 pm

Not really, but losing one as the focal point of his team to a role player because he held Lebron to 35 ppg says more than it should
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#116 » by righterwriter » Wed May 12, 2021 5:39 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
righterwriter wrote:

Curry is a great player but I do not view Curry (nor Kobe) as good as Larry Bird.

Technically Curry was better. Curry had a bigger impact on basketball as a whole with the way he played. He also is the greatest shooter ever. They've both won the same amount of rings. Curry will likely have two scoring titles and Bird never had one. Larry had three MVPs versus Curry's two, so that should figure in. I think its close. Curry can definitively jump ahead if he keeps playing at an elite level for a few more years.
MindState
Veteran
And1: 3,467

Post#117 » by MindState » Wed May 12, 2021 5:49 pm

If he has a tarnished reputation, and hes not that good, why do teams guard him like this?
NeoWarriors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,321

Post#118 » by NeoWarriors » Wed May 12, 2021 6:27 pm

MindState wrote:Image

If he has a tarnished reputation, and hes not that good, why do teams guard him like this?
FORM A ****ING WALL!!!

Sent from my Golden State Warriors Protoast Elite toaster using RealGM mobile app
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#119 » by a8bil » Wed May 12, 2021 6:28 pm

MindState wrote:Image

That's a great photo to post...the casual fan of other teams don't get a chance to see how defenses focus on Curry, but GSW fans get regular break downs that show just how focused other defenses are on stopping steph. It is funny the number of times during a game where Curry runs through traffic off ball only to have 2-3 defenders follow him while leaving their own man unguarded with a free path to a dunk.

More hilarious is the play that Dray and Juan Toscano Anderson have been running where Curry runs by them on the perimeter for what looks like a handoff to Curry, but they fake it and are often left with a free lane to the hoop as the defenders all follow Curry. I really is crazy to watch day in and day out.

I don't know how to embed video, but this link will show the play

https://streamable.com/myumpk
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,818

Post#120 » by Marrrcuss » Wed May 12, 2021 6:42 pm

We can make our decisions now. He will never play in another finals unless he goes to LA, and no, i dont want him to.

Return to The General Board