Better duo - Jokic+Murray or Jokic+Mpj

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

?

Jokic+Murray now and long term
28%
Jokic+Murray now but Jokic+Mpj long term
33%
Jokic+Mpj now and long term
38%
Jokic+Mpj now but Jokic+Murray long term
2%

Total votes: 58

GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,759

Better duo - Jokic+Murray or Jokic+Mpj 

Post#1 » by GSP » Wed May 12, 2021 1:28 am

Jokic and Mpj just combined for 60, 17, 7 on .723ts and have been clicking since Jamal went down

which duo would you rather have?
Pistol_Pete
Senior
And1: 500

Re: Better duo - Jokic+Murray or Jokic+Mpj 

Post#2 » by Pistol_Pete » Wed May 12, 2021 1:32 am

Definitely Murray and Joker. Years of play together, plus they actually mesh. MPJ is mostly a one on one guy. Still raw, takes a lot of ill advised shots, but he’ll get there. The reason this discussion is even taking place is because of Murrays inconsistent play this year, and MPJ’s rise in his absence.
:(
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,175

Post#3 » by dygaction » Wed May 12, 2021 1:34 am

The three of them are a scary combo. MPJ compliment these two perfectly with historic efficiency potential.
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,336

Post#4 » by _qubik » Wed May 12, 2021 1:56 am

Its a Wing league, MPJ is already a great offensive player, that can get his shot over pretty much any defender, because he has a nice touch and is pretty tall.

MPJ is a better scorer than Murray, Jokic the best passer between them, and a team can have only so much bad defenders. Murray should be the odd man out. He of course have a lot of value, they should seek for a player in the mould of Jrue Holiday, Jimmy Butler, that can contribute both ends of the floor, and get his shot sometimes
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#5 » by djsunyc » Wed May 12, 2021 2:02 am

murray had some grown man playoff games.
Mogspan
Senior
And1: 1,105

Post#6 » by Mogspan » Wed May 12, 2021 2:06 am

Meant to vote Jokić + MPJ now and long-term instead of for the top option
Also, something that might surprise people. I think when it comes to athleticism, agility, physical attributes and skill I rate LeBron only in the top 50.
RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,259

Post#7 » by RRFB » Wed May 12, 2021 2:28 am

It’s easy to forget how much chemistry Jokic and Murray have. They might run the most potent two-man in the game in the league, and it’s playoff tested.

Jokic and MPJ aren’t on that level yet as a duo, but it’s not a stretch to say they could get there.
Golden Knight
Analyst
And1: 4,965

Post#8 » by Golden Knight » Wed May 12, 2021 3:18 am

RRFB wrote:It’s easy to forget how much chemistry Jokic and Murray have. They might run the most potent two-man in the game in the league, and it’s playoff tested.

Jokic and MPJ aren’t on that level yet as a duo, but it’s not a stretch to say they could get there.

Yeah sometimes it's crazy to see the chemistry and how much Jokic trust Murray, it feels like they've been playing together since they were kids.
Young gun 6
Analyst
And1: 6,008

Post#9 » by Young gun 6 » Wed May 12, 2021 4:19 am

Both combo's are bad defensively but Jokic + MPJ is borderline unplayable at times with their defense.

I rate all 3 really highly. Might even have Jokic as the best player in the league right now but god when you watch them on defense Jokic and MPJ really need to be combining for 50+ on 60-65% TS to be competitive at times with how many points they leak on the defensive end.

Although people are pointing to the MPJ and Jokic offense as carrying them through this period without Murray, it's actually the elite defense of AG that's been the difference in my opinion.

Denver are 18-5 (.783) with AG playing and 27-19 (.587) without him. That also incorporates a lot of games where AG has played and Murray, Barton, Millsap etc haven't.
Lala870
Starter
And1: 1,455

Post#10 » by Lala870 » Wed May 12, 2021 4:36 am

Wiggins/KAT easily

Wait a minute....wrong thread
Al Harrington is my inspiration for weed entrepreneurship!
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,720

Post#11 » by TinmanZBoy » Wed May 12, 2021 4:40 am

with Murray, Jokic is unguardable in dissecting any team's defense..
the three together are very good offense, almost perfect fit...
but on defense, a big meh...
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,790

Post#12 » by Michael Jordan » Wed May 12, 2021 4:43 am

Murray + Jokic took out the Clippers in the playoffs so its hard to say MPJ + Jokic just off a regular season stretch.

We'll see how this duo performs in the first round against Mavs/Blazers.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,198

Post#13 » by CodeBreaker » Wed May 12, 2021 7:07 am

Murray + Jokic is playoff tested. Let's see MPJ + Jokic first
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,685

Post#14 » by Up-And-Coming » Wed May 12, 2021 7:46 am

MPJ/Jokic probably for the future but Murray is a playoff performer. The Nuggets desperately need defense though but a Murray/MPJ/Jokic trio is great offensively.

Idk, if you were the Bucks and Nuggets would you do a Jrue Holiday for Jamal Murray swap???
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,406

Post#15 » by Mavrelous » Wed May 12, 2021 11:09 am

MPJ is an off the ball player mainly, Murray is the one you go to when you're and need to create off the dribble, for the PO, it's Murray all the way, but there's no reason all 3 should fit perfectly together.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,175

Post#16 » by donnieme » Wed May 12, 2021 11:21 am

Jokic and Murray is a legit matchup headache. You go smallball because Murray is abusing your center then Jokic starts abusing the small center so you go big to match Jokic and Murray goes back to abusing him. Clippers contained Murray for the first couple games but had to ease up to go double Jokic who was completely destroying Harrell then Murray went off. In the playoffs they had this thing where very few teams ever felt comfortable in the matchup.

Against the Lakers the issue of having a guy like Marc Gasol frustrating Jokic would be reduced if Murray was healthy and in playoff form
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#17 » by FinnTheHuman » Wed May 12, 2021 11:55 am

It’s weird. Most of the time, the best offense is Jokic post ups, not Jokic/Murray pick n roll, because Murray is not as efficient as Jokic is on-ball. So most of the time the Nuggets run Murray/Jokic PnR, it’s not their best play, but they do it to implement some variety.

We’ve seen Nuggets offense working better now just by doing everything through Jokic on-ball with some Campazzo on-ball sprinkled on top of that, but will that be better come playoff time, or will the Nuggets miss that option of just giving Murray the ball and sending him Jokic to set the pick? I believe they actually won’t miss it in the PO all that much because of the emergence of MPJ, but I might be wrong.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,381

Post#18 » by cupcakesnake » Wed May 12, 2021 12:04 pm

Young gun 6 wrote:Both combo's are bad defensively but Jokic + MPJ is borderline unplayable at times with their defense.

I get this in theory, but I think I've watched every Denver game since Murray went down and the MPJ/Joker combo has been fine on defense. Maybe we give credit to Gordon joining the team at that time, but "borderline unplayable" doesn't seem feel based on reality/results or watching.

Jokic straight up looks pretty good at defense this year. He's not a rim protector because he can't jump. But he's quicker this year and stays extremely active with his hands and feet on the backline. You'll always want a little more on defense from the center position, but Jokic works pretty hard to not be a liability and it works. MPJ is a mixed bag but clearly has taken a mini-leap, both in terms of understanding Malone's defensive schemes/rotations, and his physical confidence. MPJ is an explosive help defender in some settings. I still would grade him out as neutral or a slight negative, but "unplayable" he is not.

In the 365 minutes that MPJ and Jokic play without Gordon, they have a net rating of -9.67 and a horrible defensive rating of 125.48. Strangely, when all 3 (Murray) were healthy before the Gordon trade, that trio survived fine. Swap Millsap in with MPJ/Jokic (small sample size), and they are obliterating opponents (+53.15net in games where are 3 have played) and not letting people score (87 defensive rating). The more I look at different combos the more complicated the puzzle becomes, but I don't think there's strong evidence that Jokic/MPJ are unplayable on defense. Denver probably needs to balance them with another defender in the frontcourt most of the time, but they're well equipped to do that with Millsap and Green on the bench. They could use another defensive wing, but that's true of every team.

Addressing OP:
Murray/Jokic (+6.39 netrtg) have outplayed MPJ/Jokic (+1.09). All 3 of them together (+14.89) have been ridiculous, which is one of the reasons the Murray injury suckkkkkks. MPJ gives Denver more size, (no one is touching his pull up jumper when he elevates) but Murray is the much smarter player. They both look good in the 2-man game with Jokic, but Murray makes it feel more 3-dimensional because he can make a wider variety of reads off screens. Murray can also weaponize Joker as a finisher with superior passing. But physically, MPJ is extremely overwhelming for defenses as both a pull up shooter, and as a cutter next to Jokic. As weapons for Jokic, Murray is like a katana, and MPJ is like some sort of giant pole axe.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast

Return to The General Board