(Serious) NBA Games Are On Too Late

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,620

Re: (Serious) NBA Games Are On Too Late 

Post#61 » by nomansland » Wed May 12, 2021 1:59 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
Sofia wrote:So start games in Pacific time at 5pm local time?

Not everyone can leave work halfway through the day to go to the game.

Yeah, but not everyone on the East Coast can stay up until midnight or 1am watching a game. Its a double edge sword where somebody is getting screwed.

I would think its easier to deal with a 5pm start time on the WC than it is to deal with a 10pm start time on the EC. Asking people on the WC to leave work a hour early if they want to go to a game seems more do-able than asking people on the EC to stay awake until 1am watching their team.

"Hey boss Imma cut out an hour early (hour and a half if there's traffic) 42 times this year because the NBA games start then. You're cool with that right?"

That's ridiculous.
bballfan1three3
Senior
And1: 763

Post#62 » by bballfan1three3 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:04 pm

JN61 wrote:I never understood when you want to make the game more global but still insist starting games 7pm EST. There could easily be 3pm and 5pm starting time games almost every day. Meaning teams would play handful of earlier than 7pm games per season.

THANK YOU

Play a couple games at 3 pm, try to expand the market. Get some Euros to watch or something
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,135

Post#63 » by heatwillbeback » Wed May 12, 2021 2:16 pm

7/9:30 is the best compromise IMO.

There is no way to make east Coast and West Coast completely happy. If catering to one subset, cater to the home crowd and market. So later is the best result.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,899

Post#64 » by Sofia » Wed May 12, 2021 2:19 pm

LivingLegend wrote:

Yeah, but not everyone on the East Coast can stay up until midnight or 1am watching a game. Its a double edge sword where somebody is getting screwed.

I would think its easier to deal with a 5pm start time on the WC than it is to deal with a 10pm start time on the EC. Asking people on the WC to leave work a hour early if they want to go to a game seems more do-able than asking people on the EC to stay awake until 1am watching their team.

So screw the west coast over in favour of the east coast for when their team has to occasionally travel to west coast? That’s what, 8 games a year for each east coast team?
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,204

Post#65 » by Mamba81p » Wed May 12, 2021 2:23 pm

joeschmo wrote:Simple solution, unify all time zones.

You're welcome

or at least keep only 2 time zones, central and mountain. 1 time zone might be too difficult
cursedsportsfan
Rookie
And1: 1,448

Post#66 » by cursedsportsfan » Wed May 12, 2021 2:25 pm

nomansland wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

"Hey boss Imma cut out an hour early (hour and a half if there's traffic) 42 times this year because the NBA games start then. You're cool with that right?"

That's ridiculous.

I had a coworker that tried to pull this but for soccer. Tried that crap once and he didn't again. I'll save my leaving work early for important things like my health, wife and son.

You have to wonder what kind of responsibilities some of the people itt have. Can't be much.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,530

Post#67 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:58 pm

nomansland wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

That's ridiculous.

This only would apply to national tv games. Not every single game.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,620

Post#68 » by nomansland » Wed May 12, 2021 3:58 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
nomansland wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

That's ridiculous.

Unless it were the Nuggets in the finals for the first time I'd never ask my boss that. Actually I'm the boss and I wouldn't do it myself.
bballfan1three3
Senior
And1: 763

Post#69 » by bballfan1three3 » Wed May 12, 2021 4:10 pm

nomansland wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
nomansland wrote:

That's ridiculous.

Unless it were the Nuggets in the finals for the first time I'd never ask my boss that. Actually I'm the boss and I wouldn't do it myself.

weak go watch bball
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#70 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 12, 2021 4:18 pm

nomansland wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
nomansland wrote:

That's ridiculous.

I feel like most of us could come in an hour early and leave an hour early. I certainly have that flexibility anytime I want it. And given you have NBA tickets...odds are even better you have flexibility. I mean NBA tickets are EXPENSIVE! If you're spending hundreds of dollars for a night out leaving an hour early seems fair.
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,400

Post#71 » by magee » Wed May 12, 2021 4:19 pm

Two words: League Pass.

Seriously, think of the last thing you spend $200 on, and that hasn't served you for an entire sports season. You can even fast forward through games and commercials after they are over.
alebaba
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,387

Post#72 » by alebaba » Wed May 12, 2021 4:59 pm

East coast ppl complaining, lmao....I don't see us whining when games start when were still at work.
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,410

Post#73 » by And1+2 » Wed May 12, 2021 5:02 pm

I used to live in the Atlantic timezone. That was lots of fun..
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#74 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 12, 2021 5:05 pm

alebaba wrote:East coast ppl complaining, lmao....I don't see us whining when games start when were still at work.

There are less of you...if you're putting on a nationally televised game over 70% of the country lives in central or eastern time zones.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,090

Post#75 » by Lockdown504090 » Wed May 12, 2021 5:10 pm

bballfan1three3 wrote:
JN61 wrote:I never understood when you want to make the game more global but still insist starting games 7pm EST. There could easily be 3pm and 5pm starting time games almost every day. Meaning teams would play handful of earlier than 7pm games per season.

THANK YOU

Play a couple games at 3 pm, try to expand the market. Get some Euros to watch or something

ratings are based on us viewership. ratings determines tv deals, a big part of their income, as archaic as that is. personally, I think they should be recording every game in 4k 60fps themselves, then sell the rights to cover and broadcast to local networks. it would probably be far more money for the league.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,834

Post#76 » by Beethoven » Wed May 12, 2021 5:16 pm

Im on Pacific coast, and still, I cannot stay up to watch a whole Laker home game when they start at 7 or 730pm. I can't do it anymore.
Also these days the games dont really start at that time there are always court delays and the game actually starts maybe 720 or 750pm.
It be the sweet spot to start the game exactly at 630PM. Most LA people who go to watch the game dont really come in for the 1st quarter anyways.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
d00lttle
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,349

Post#77 » by d00lttle » Wed May 12, 2021 5:20 pm

Does OP also want to play the games outdoor on assfault?
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#78 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 12, 2021 5:28 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:
bballfan1three3 wrote:

THANK YOU

ratings are based on us viewership. ratings determines tv deals, a big part of their income, as archaic as that is. personally, I think they should be recording every game in 4k 60fps themselves, then sell the rights to cover and broadcast to local networks. it would probably be far more money for the league.

You don't think ESPN would welcome a game at 2 pm over their worthless on air personalities? I feel like this could just put more games on national tv and open the sport up the the European markets more. Or TNT can't air shawshank one less time?
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,135

Post#79 » by heatwillbeback » Wed May 12, 2021 5:30 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:
bballfan1three3 wrote:THANK YOU

You don't think ESPN would welcome a game at 2 pm over their worthless on air personalities? I feel like this could just put more games on national tv and open the sport up the the European markets more. Or TNT can't air shawshank one less time?

During the pandemic when people were at home and was feasible and they did early in the bubble.

But people work and there wouldn’t enough eyes during mid day games.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,728

Post#80 » by Nate505 » Wed May 12, 2021 5:33 pm

Mamba81p wrote:The US needs to reduce the number of time zones IMO

Dear Mr. President. There are too many time zones. Please eliminate 3.

P.S. I am NOT a crackpot!

Return to The General Board