Brad or Danny?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Re: Brad or Danny? 

Post#61 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon May 31, 2021 7:05 am

If the opening night starting lineup next season is:
-- Robert Williams
-- Jayson Tatum
-- Jaylen Brown
-- Aaron Nesmith or Romeo Langford
-- Marcus Smart

then there is an excellent chance retaining Ainge and Stevens will have very much been the right things to do.

Note that all the guys I named were drafted by Ainge. Note that they are all good defenders and all fit a modern switching defense.

And a willingness to have a super-expensive veteran bench would speak well of both Stevens' coaching choices and Ainge's non-interference.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
scottyno
Junior
And1: 542

Post#62 » by scottyno » Mon May 31, 2021 7:46 am

soxfan2003 wrote:
scottyno wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Read my post again and take Hayward out of all of it.

Read my post again. And they mismanaged Kyrie Irving and the entire situation.

They traded IT after making him play through an injury he should not have been playing through. I said this the entire year and your fanbase accused me of playing doctor. That injury is dealt with on a proactive basis in other sports for good reason, it's bad management.

Kemba Walker and his contract is a mistake and that's bad management.

As for covid... every team got covid, notably almost the entire the Raptors entire starting lineup so that's no excuse.

And then out of all things, they used the trade exception on Fournier, trading away Thies, leaving what is really a hole at centre.

Saying it is all just real bad luck is just playing the victim and a refusal to admit consistent mistakes.

Not sure how exactly they mismanaged the Kyrie situation. The trade made all the sense in the world, even if they knew he was nuts, because they got him for so little relatively speaking. Then he missed the playoffs his first year (bad luck), and even if they suspected he was leaving after the next year it didn't make much sense to trade him because they were trying to win.

They didn't "make" IT do anything, he wanted to play, he wanted to not have surgery, and then they traded him in a smart trade, no idea how you think the Cs handled that wrong. Smart management would have been what, forcing him to sit out the playoffs, forcing him to have surgery, and then what, pray he comes back healthy and then pay him to stay?

Kemba and his contract was not bad management at all, at the time it made perfect sense unless you had the hindsight to know that both Jaylen and Jayson would develop into elite scorers pretty much immediately after the signing (especially in Brown's case a big pleasant surprise) and that Kemba would all of a sudden go from a guy that never got hurt to someone who would not only miss a lot of games but also not be healthy in either playoffs.

Saying that every team got covid as much as the Cs did is a joke, they looked great to start the year and then all of a sudden half their team got covid, including their superstar, and it took him 2 months to get back to himself. Then they traded for a player to fill their biggest need, and immediately after having 2 great games he gets covid and it takes him weeks to get back to himself, if he even did at all this yera.

Also not sure how you think swapping Theis for Fournier was a mistake, you think if this current roster swaps out Fournier for Theis they'd be doing any better? They went for both the higher upside move now and for the future, because there was 0 chance they were keeping Theis, and a decent chance they keep Fournier, and the highest possible upside of this team this year didn't have Theis playing much anyway.

So yes, I'd say that having at least 1 of your top 3 players not healthy for every single year of the last 5 is pretty unlucky.

Fournier was a move I wouldn't have made unless I was hoping to trade/buyout Brown/Smart/Walker this off-season. If you were trying to have a reasonably good playoff run to boost the value of some players, Fournier made some sense but I never saw him as a long term answer given the Celtics shouldn't be signing any older average players to big deals right now. Letting Theis go...correct decision but Fournier was only correct move if Celtics were willing to shake up the roster and trade players like Brown/Smart.

Fans understandably criticicize MN for offering the max to Wiggins a year early but the Kemba contract was much worse IMO. Wiggins when he signed his deal probably had around a 20% chance of living up to it. Kemba has less than a 1% chance of living up to his deal.

Smallish guards often struggle in the post season and if you are given out a max deal to a small PG that will be 30+ for a few years of the deal, the upside has to be very good. It just wasn't with Kemba.

What was the odds of Kemba outperforming a max deal? I really think it was zero. So the Celtics were taking massive risk for little reward.

Fournier is 28, not exactly old, and he was really the perfect fit for a team that was running out guys like Ojeleye, Grant Williams, and Nesmith long before he was ready, at the 3 and 4 slots. They had 0 bench scoring, and actually had a pretty decent upside roster this year if they'd actually managed to get their top 7 guys to play even one single game together this year. They also got him for nothing. He also makes a lot of sense to keep going forward because it gives them a lot of potential roster flexibility and gives them a skill that they're lacking right now.

Wiggins when he signed his extension was coming off a year where he actually sucked, and not surprisingly he continued to not be any good. He was never good and they had no reason to extend him when they did, that's why people criticize it. Kemba was coming off 3 straight all star seasons and an All-NBA 3rd team while playing 79+ games for 4 straight years. There was plenty of reason to think he'd still be first 3 years Kemba, we even saw that last year in Boston until he got hurt, and he was also fine in the playoffs until he got hurt again. They also weren't taking a massive risk on giving him a max deal because they were going to lose that salary slot anyway once the Jays extensions kicked in, and their options for a max guy were pretty limited.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#63 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon May 31, 2021 10:11 am

The return on the Nets trade wound up being Tatum, Brown, Irving (who didn't stay), Langford and a bust.

Note: IT, who was part of what was traded for Irving, was acquired for a pick, which I think was the pick the Cs got for eating some salary in the Nets TPE. Ironically, they got that pick from Cleveland. But Crowder was also in that package, and he arrived in a different deal.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,425

Post#64 » by MrPerfect1 » Mon May 31, 2021 10:24 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Doranku wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
2018 they went to the ECF....but hey who needs accuracy. 2019 he disappointed with kyrie. Disappointed this year. That’s the only 2 years of his entire tenure they disappointed. Losing to the heat was a letdown but no one expected them to be in the ECF to start the year. How is making it to the ECF a letdown?

You’ve created an entire narrative. Stevens for his career in Boston has overachieved more than not. He’s had a horrible season this year and if he has another one like this next season? then yes it’s something to consider.

I mean, when they made the ECF last year, they beat a 76ers team without Simmons and a Raptors team that's in the lottery this year to get there. Not a letdown, but not exactly overachieving either. The Celtics have progressively gotten worse since making the ECF in 2018 and taking Bron to game 7. Two easy series in the bubble last year doesn't change that.

Until Boston unloads Jaylen, they're nothing but a treadmill team. You can't be a contending team in the NBA when your best two players are ball-dominant perimeter players who can't pass.

Def not a treadmill team when your best player is 23 and other best player is 24 and still improving. Raptors are a lottery team this year- they weren’t last year. Don’t talk to me about this year when your referencing last season. The Celtics last season before the year started were not projected to make an ECF appearance.m

Your hate permeates through your entire post. Your not even accurate- if u wanted to discredit a Celtics ECF run you should have used 2018 as an example when the Celtics beat a young bucks team, a young Philly team and then Lost to lebrons worst finals team ever who also got taken to 7 by the pacers in round 1.

The raptors were a very good team last year and well coached. Stevens took over a rebuild and missed the playoffs 1 year. In fact you could argue they should have lost more early on and decided to make the playoffs too early.

They are a treadmill team as constructed currently. They lack a true, top end superstar that makes teammates better (Giannis, Luka, Lebron, etc). Furthermore, players who can do that show that gift early on, it isn't something that you gradually learn.

Without a significant roster change, BOS is clearly below the MIL/PHI/NJ tier and is on the ATL/MIA/BOS tier.

If you project as 4th-6th Best in your Conference that is treadmill territory.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#65 » by reload141 » Mon May 31, 2021 10:34 am

MrPerfect1 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Doranku wrote:
I mean, when they made the ECF last year, they beat a 76ers team without Simmons and a Raptors team that's in the lottery this year to get there. Not a letdown, but not exactly overachieving either. The Celtics have progressively gotten worse since making the ECF in 2018 and taking Bron to game 7. Two easy series in the bubble last year doesn't change that.

Until Boston unloads Jaylen, they're nothing but a treadmill team. You can't be a contending team in the NBA when your best two players are ball-dominant perimeter players who can't pass.

Def not a treadmill team when your best player is 23 and other best player is 24 and still improving. Raptors are a lottery team this year- they weren’t last year. Don’t talk to me about this year when your referencing last season. The Celtics last season before the year started were not projected to make an ECF appearance.m

Your hate permeates through your entire post. Your not even accurate- if u wanted to discredit a Celtics ECF run you should have used 2018 as an example when the Celtics beat a young bucks team, a young Philly team and then Lost to lebrons worst finals team ever who also got taken to 7 by the pacers in round 1.

The raptors were a very good team last year and well coached. Stevens took over a rebuild and missed the playoffs 1 year. In fact you could argue they should have lost more early on and decided to make the playoffs too early.

They are a treadmill team as constructed currently. They lack a true, top end superstar that makes teammates better (Giannis, Luka, Lebron, etc). Furthermore, players who can do that show that gift early on, it isn't something that you gradually learn.

Without a significant roster change, BOS is clearly below the MIL/PHI/NJ tier and is on the ATL/MIA/BOS tier.

Nuh.

I agree some roster changes need to happen but if they actually had a healthy roster this year and instead of playing a total of 179 minutes combined with our top 4 players.

It would be a different team...

I think some minor tweaks and legit bench help would do wonders for this team. Tatum is approaching top superstar talent and Brown took a significant step this season.

Again, some changes but not too much.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#66 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon May 31, 2021 12:19 pm

MrPerfect1 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Doranku wrote:

Here’s the thing about this place- reactionary to the extreme. Last year milwaukee loses “blow it up” “giannis ain’t built for the playoffs” philly ; “better trade 1 of embiid or Simmons ” “they don’t fit together” etc etc. now that may not be you personally but your take is absolutely another reactionary hyperbolic sensationalized take to the Celtics having a very bad season.

Tatum is a bonafide superstar. He’s a 2 way wing (whose defense did slip this year to be fair) He does make people better-not like Luka or lebron No, not at that level but he does raise his teams ceiling but the guy’s he’s been asked to make better this year suck. Grant Williams, nesmith a rookie, romeo Langford etc.

The Celtics team was decimated by injury and covid and to be 100% Danny ainge did a terrible job this season. Tatum is going to be an mvp caliber player. Jaylen will get better also and if needed can be traded for an upgrade. They have all of their draft picks even if they aren’t great picks that matters.

Celtics are not in treadmill territory yet- not when your best player is improving, 2nd best player is improving. Treadmill means there’s absolutely no moves that can be made to improve your team and your stuck in place. When you have a trade asset like brown if need be your not a treadmill.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#67 » by JediMasterRevan » Mon May 31, 2021 12:39 pm

I am all in on the fire Ainge train.

I am losing faith in Brad very quickly, but if a new GM can bring him the size and length he has been begging for then I am willing to give him another season or 2.

But Danny has done a terrible job.
Lost Hayward for nothing
Lost Irving for nothing
Lost Horford for nothing
Made some super questionable draft choices.
Made some questionable trades
Signed Kemba to save face from the Kyrie walking

This all over the last only, 3 years.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#68 » by The_Hater » Mon May 31, 2021 12:51 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Vampirate wrote:Blah, blah, blah.

I'm a Raptor fan so i'm obviously not a homer, but all these Fire Ainge, Fire Steven threads are ignoring one simple fact.

The Celtics have just been super unlucky for a while now.

Kyrie, Gordon, Walker and Horford. All players that have for one thing or another contributed to the Celtics to where they are now.

Kyrie is just weird and did his own thing and left. No GM can account for that. Gordon was constantly injured and left. Horford was a glue guy but was getting old. And Walker injured himself before the season began and all his value relies on scoring. The fact that he's a over 30 6'0 PG that's probably still recovering and all his value is scoring and you see where he's at.

The simple fact is though, firing Ainge now is not going to do anything because the Celtic's immediate future relies on how Kemba does going forwards. Atm no GM is touching that contract with a 12 foot pole, so switching GM's is not going to do anything. If Kemba has a bounce back year and gets his value back up then the Celtics can get out of the position they are now.

Sometimes teams are just super unlucky, it happens.

Except beyond Hayward, none of that is luck. It's bad management. We supposed to chalk Kawhi leaving up to luck? Or Bosh when he said he said he would stay? They knew what they were getting into and handled it badly.

Anyway.... There have been lots of stars and all-stars traded recently and none of them cost a Brown or a Tatum, so forget that excuse.

And as for holding onto the the ECFs as something, it was purely seeding luck that they didn't face James in the 2nd round. They weren't even 2nd best in their conference when they got to the ECF the first two times. And if you want to argue this, I'll start calling them the Bills of basketball then. Your pick.

I think the Celtics have had far more bad luck then bad management the past 5 years.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#69 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon May 31, 2021 12:52 pm

itrsteve wrote:How many of these do we need?

More.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
The_Hater

Post#70 » by The_Hater » Mon May 31, 2021 12:59 pm

MrPerfect1 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Doranku wrote:

They’re clearly better then a treadmill team. They made the ECF in 2020. 2021 was a disaster for them. Injuries. Covid. Poor depth. That last part is underrated because it didn’t allow them to win enough games through all the missed games. Jaylen then missed the playoffs which leads to the inevitable 1st round loss.

But they’re still young where it counts with Tatum, Brown and R.Williams. If they hadn’t had so much team success early in their careers, people would be viewing that as an up and coming core. But because they went backwards for one season perceptions are different. As for not having a top tier player, Tatum was already top 15 at age 22/23. He could easily make that statement look foolish as soon as next season. He keeps getting better from where I sit.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,336

Post#71 » by _qubik » Mon May 31, 2021 2:19 pm

Bolth, if its a problem better change it all, Danny isnt a great GM for me, I have the title or bust line of thinking, and Stevens got the team to deep playoff appearances, but he couldnt make the team take the extra step
at87on
Rookie
And1: 348

Post#72 » by at87on » Mon May 31, 2021 2:30 pm

Danny Ainge is the Warriors of the GMing.
He innovated the GM game, but now all teams are doing the same.
He doesn't have the same advantage he had in his first 3-4 years.
Now he's just a middle of pack GM living off the press of his first few years.
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,336

Post#73 » by _qubik » Mon May 31, 2021 2:32 pm

The_Hater wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

They’re clearly better then a treadmill team. They made the ECF in 2020. 2021 was a disaster for them. Injuries. Covid. Poor depth. That last part is underrated because it didn’t allow them to win enough games through all the missed games. Jaylen then missed the playoffs which leads to the inevitable 1st round loss.

But they’re still young where it counts with Tatum, Brown and R.Williams. If they hadn’t had so much team success early in their careers, people would be viewing that as an up and coming core. But because they went backwards for one season perceptions are different. As for not having a top tier player, Tatum was already top 15 at age 22/23. He could easily make that statement look foolish as soon as next season. He keeps getting better from where I sit.

The team got weaker year after year, Tatum and Brown arent prospects, they are great players already, you expect more from a team with 3 all stars.

The team at one point was starring Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, Tatum and Brown, with picks to spare. Now after Tatum and Brown the Cs have a small dominant, injury prone overpaid guy on Kemba and not much more. Smart is a great role player and Robert Williams is a nice rotational piece.

I cant be happy seeing my team regressing, my team was on the finals last year and got swept in the first round now, they were severely dragged down by covid and injury issues.

The Cs should drastically change this roster, Tatum should be the only untouchable piece, he is great, on both ends, but he isnt a great isolation scorer, Brown is in his 5th season, and isnt the best complementary piece alongside Tatum. Kemba even healthy wouldnt be a very good feat, he demands a lots of shot, and isnt the best table setter. Brown should be packed with anything needed to bring a bigger star to play with Tatum, and Kemba unloaded if possible, though ai wouldnt bet my money on that.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,013

Post#74 » by R-DAWG » Mon May 31, 2021 3:22 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Neither axed. How many teams have been in 3 conference finals the last 4 years?

Name them for me please.

Golden State

Before that Cleveland and Miami and the Lakers.

This season should be a carve out for Boston. Between the short offseason (all teams that made it to the conference finals in the bubble had down years) and Tatum getting Covid plus Brown missing the playoffs no need to overreact.

Having said that, it might be time to start thinking about the best way to re-tool the roster around Brown and TAtum. The biggest question being is Brown a good enough #2 option on a contender, or does he need to be the #3.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#75 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon May 31, 2021 3:49 pm

_qubik wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:

The team got weaker year after year, Tatum and Brown arent prospects, they are great players already, you expect more from a team with 3 all stars.

The team at one point was starring Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, Tatum and Brown, with picks to spare. Now after Tatum and Brown the Cs have a small dominant, injury prone overpaid guy on Kemba and not much more. Smart is a great role player and Robert Williams is a nice rotational piece.

I cant be happy seeing my team regressing, my team was on the finals last year and got swept in the first round now, they were severely dragged down by covid and injury issues.

The Cs should drastically change this roster, Tatum should be the only untouchable piece, he is great, on both ends, but he isnt a great isolation scorer, Brown is in his 5th season, and isnt the best complementary piece alongside Tatum. Kemba even healthy wouldnt be a very good feat, he demands a lots of shot, and isnt the best table setter. Brown should be packed with anything needed to bring a bigger star to play with Tatum, and Kemba unloaded if possible, though ai wouldnt bet my money on that.

I don’t think the Celtics grossly regressed this year bc of lack of talent. I think they got ravaged by covid and injury and a lack of depth which can be fixed. I also disagree that Tatum isn’t great in iso situations- he wasn’t this year last year he was really good.

Celtics will be fine next year. Tatum is an absolute stud. Not too worried about it

Drastically change the roster in terms of bench players and depth? Sure. Hayward left for more money and still didn’t stay healthy, horford left for money and has been horrible since. Celtics dodged a bullet there.
The_Hater

Post#76 » by The_Hater » Mon May 31, 2021 5:23 pm

_qubik wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:

It did get weaker, that’s a big reason why they won less games this season. But I outlined the 2 major reasons they’re not a treadmill team and why this shouldn’t be the chief focus. They have a young core where the needle is still pointing up and a huge 2021 depth problem that is easily fixable. Needing to find Tatum or Brown level player would be a big problem, upgrading the bench for 2022 isn’t a big problem.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by MrPerfect1 » Mon May 31, 2021 11:01 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Tatum is a bonafide superstar.

Tatum isn't a Superstar. Here is the list of current Superstars:

Giannis
Lebron
Durant
Embiid
Harden
Curry
Kawhi (probably-an argument could be made against just like with AD)
AD (probably-Could be a tier below due to unreliability)

***Tatum is definitely not in this tier. He is more in the Mitchell/Zion/Morant/Young/Butler tier.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#78 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon May 31, 2021 11:37 pm

MrPerfect1 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

Giannis
Lebron
Durant
Embiid
Harden
Curry

***Tatum is definitely not in this tier. He is more in the Mitchell/Zion/Morant/Young/Butler tier.

News flash champ.....curry 33 KD 33 in sept lebron 37 in December harden 31. Easily take Tatum over morant young and Mitchell. Not even think twice. tbh.

In 2 years as most of your list ages out Tatum will be a top 6-7 guy. W jokic giannis embiid Luka Zion Tatum. Tatum is a stud. 90 points in the last 2 games of a playoff series. Killed it since the all star break. All nba last season.

Superstar. 2x. Superstar. Glad he’s a Celtic. Super clap clap star.
Tai
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,240

Post#79 » by Tai » Mon May 31, 2021 11:43 pm

I'm not for firing him just yet, but this is definitely more on Danny than Brad. Not saying Brad is scot free, but we need a stronger bench next season; sorry, having to trot out Semi AND Grant Williams at the same time in the playoffs hasn't been fun. Fournier (assuming he'd be off the bench next season) is a good start if he re-signs, which I'm for.

Also, as much as I like Kemba as a UConn fan on top of being a Celtics fan and would want nothing more than for him to figure it out here, it's looking like it's just not meant to be. So I'd trade him out to free up his money. I wouldn't be AGAINST a 3rd guy like him, but at this point we're probably better off just building a more well rounded supporting cast around Tatum and Brown.
smartyz456 wrote:oh i am a laker fan for life

i'm just gonna be a warrior fan until lebron leaves the lakers

true laker fans don't root for lebron

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1728641
MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by MrPerfect1 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 12:04 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

Giannis
Lebron
Durant
Embiid
Harden
Curry

News flash champ.....curry 33 KD 33 in sept lebron 37 in December harden 31. Easily take Tatum over morant young and Mitchell. Not even think twice. tbh.

In 2 years as most of your list ages out Tatum will be a top 6-7 guy. W jokic giannis embiid Luka Zion Tatum. Tatum is a stud. 90 points in the last 2 games of a playoff series. Killed it since the all star break. All nba last season.

Superstar. 2x. Superstar. Glad he’s a Celtic. Super clap clap star.

Tatum is a pretty good player, just like Mitchell is pretty good.

Here are 2 players from this year:

Mystery Player A: 30.8% USG, 57.6% TS, 35.8 Mins/Game, 26.6/7.4/4.3

Mystery Player B: 25% USG, 58.8 TS%, 33.4 Mins/Game, 20.4/6/5.4

These stats are pretty much a toss up:

Player A scores more and rebounds a little more but also plays more minutes and is less efficient .

Player B is the superior playmaker and shooter but has the lower usage rate.

Return to The General Board