WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [4-0 Suns]

Moderators: infinite11285, ken6199, Domejandro, -Sammy-, zimpy27, bwgood77, KingDavid, Dirk, jamaalstar21

User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 73,686
And1: 42,822
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#921 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:16 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:
Liam_Gallagher wrote:lol the Lakers would've dusted these Nuggets - team is terrible outside of Jokic. It's a shame AD got hurt.


You haven't exactly been Nostradamus-esque with your predictions thus far though:

Liam_Gallagher wrote:I think people are underrating how shook the Suns looked at the end of game 4 as the Lakers were basically scrambling lineups together after the sudden loss of AD. They’ll be more prepared next game without him.

I’ll tell you this right now. Phoenix does NOT want King James in a game 7. I repeat. They DO NOT want The Chosen One in an elimination game with choker Paul on the other end.


So let's maybe stick to facts instead of hypotheticals? And a fact is that we don't know how the Lakers would have done against these Nuggets because LAL couldn't get passed the Suns in the round and (unlike the Lakers) the Nuggets are not a play-in team so they wouldn't have faced them there either.


Yeah, a healthy Lakers team, needed a miracle last second LeBron 3 when the shot clock was almost out to beat a GS team without Klay, Wiseman or Oubre. I know according to the Lakers fans those Warriors injuries don't count, but that same Warriors team that lost by 3 to the Lakers on that last second shot couldn't get by Memphis.
User avatar
homecourtloss
General Manager
Posts: 7,684
And1: 12,311
Joined: Dec 29, 2012

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#922 » by homecourtloss » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:21 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:
Liam_Gallagher wrote:lol the Lakers would've dusted these Nuggets - team is terrible outside of Jokic. It's a shame AD got hurt.


You haven't exactly been Nostradamus-esque with your predictions thus far though:

Liam_Gallagher wrote:I think people are underrating how shook the Suns looked at the end of game 4 as the Lakers were basically scrambling lineups together after the sudden loss of AD. They’ll be more prepared next game without him.

I’ll tell you this right now. Phoenix does NOT want King James in a game 7. I repeat. They DO NOT want The Chosen One in an elimination game with choker Paul on the other end.


So let's maybe stick to facts instead of hypotheticals? And a fact is that we don't know how the Lakers would have done against these Nuggets because LAL couldn't get passed the Suns in the round and (unlike the Lakers) the Nuggets are not a play-in team so they wouldn't have faced them there either.


Yeah, a healthy Lakers team, needed a miracle last second LeBron 3 when the shot clock was almost out to beat a GS team without Klay, Wiseman or Oubre. I know according to the Lakers fans those Warriors injuries don't count, but that same Warriors team that lost by 3 to the Lakers on that last second shot couldn't get by Memphis.


Neither LeBron nor AD have looked like themselves after their returns. There hasn’t been a “healthy Lakers team” since the beginning of the year.
OdomFan wrote:I'd rather have Ray Allen on my team [over Curry].


Hal14 wrote:Not saying I put McHale over Duncan, but the argument can be made.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 73,686
And1: 42,822
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#923 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:23 pm

tsirigoj wrote:
spanishninja wrote:
tsirigoj wrote:Would have been a better series if Nuggets were at full strength (and Suns probably don't make it this far if AD is healthy, let alone LBJ at full strength), but still, these Suns are so impressive to me. CP3 is such a world class leader, they are playing great team ball, team defense, no mega egos (though a lot of trash talkers -- which I kinda like), and are well coached.

I'm impressed by these Suns, and we need to take more seriously the prospect that they can win this whole thing.


one underrated aspect of this was how well this team was put together (same with Utah). Character guys with winning mentality. Guys like Torrey Craig and Cam Payne are making meaningful contributions despite being relatively inexperienced. By the way, can we stop with the "inexperienced" narrative with the Suns, since it clearly doesn't matter when you have a leader like CP3?


CP3 is earning his "Point God" nickname night in and night out. On paper, when the Suns acquired CP3, my thoughts were "treadmill, low seed team, not where you want to end up with CP3's credentials." On paper, the Suns shouldn't be as impressive as they are, but as you said, this team just all works together so well, everyone is bringing out the best from each other.

Also, DeAndre Ayton is making me withdraw the prescription of 'bust' I have given him. I doubt he'll reach that Luka level, but he's really earning back that #1 draft pick respect from me.

Lastly, and this may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm getting more Kobe vibes out of Book than I am Tatum. I see more T-Mac in Tatum than Kobe.


Glad to see Ayton get some credit for a 3rd year player many thought was no good...I know many who have paid attention have given him credit this year, but good to see more.

He's been our most impressive 3rd year player, particularly given where he was on defense coming in, that we've had in years. I know Booker looked good, and had the 70 pt game, but he was getting all the looks given the team was awful, played no defense and Ayton has far higher expectations set on him with a much better supporting cast and being that #1 pick in a year Doncic, who will likely be a top 10 player of all time when it's all said and done...likely more like top 7...perhaps even better. Better on offense but not defense, but more pts per 36, more efficient, more assists, more rebounds, better from 3, far better from 2...so he's on a very high trajectory....so no one will live up to that kind of talent in any draft.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 73,686
And1: 42,822
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#924 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:25 pm

homecourtloss wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:
You haven't exactly been Nostradamus-esque with your predictions thus far though:



So let's maybe stick to facts instead of hypotheticals? And a fact is that we don't know how the Lakers would have done against these Nuggets because LAL couldn't get passed the Suns in the round and (unlike the Lakers) the Nuggets are not a play-in team so they wouldn't have faced them there either.


Yeah, a healthy Lakers team, needed a miracle last second LeBron 3 when the shot clock was almost out to beat a GS team without Klay, Wiseman or Oubre. I know according to the Lakers fans those Warriors injuries don't count, but that same Warriors team that lost by 3 to the Lakers on that last second shot couldn't get by Memphis.


Neither LeBron nor AD have looked like themselves after their returns. There hasn’t been a “healthy Lakers team” since the beginning of the year.


LeBron looked a lot better than people have said. He was making some crazy dunks. Both looked a lot better than Paul through 3 games. I think LeBron is just getting too old and likely never looks as good as he used to again. AD has never done much in the playoffs as a #1 guy.
ChinaInc
Junior
Posts: 288
And1: 259
Joined: Dec 10, 2020

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#925 » by ChinaInc » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:18 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Yeah, a healthy Lakers team, needed a miracle last second LeBron 3 when the shot clock was almost out to beat a GS team without Klay, Wiseman or Oubre. I know according to the Lakers fans those Warriors injuries don't count, but that same Warriors team that lost by 3 to the Lakers on that last second shot couldn't get by Memphis.


Neither LeBron nor AD have looked like themselves after their returns. There hasn’t been a “healthy Lakers team” since the beginning of the year.


LeBron looked a lot better than people have said. He was making some crazy dunks. Both looked a lot better than Paul through 3 games. I think LeBron is just getting too old and likely never looks as good as he used to again. AD has never done much in the playoffs as a #1 guy.


Hot take warning but he's always been the number one guy since joining the Lakers. Without him the Lakers were a borderline lottery team
Hans1984
Junior
Posts: 345
And1: 117
Joined: Mar 08, 2019

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#926 » by Hans1984 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:44 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Hans1984 wrote:Another boring blowout. This years playoffs are freaking AWFUL!


Clippers series have been good. Won 3 games in Dallas while Dallas won 3 there and nearly beat Utah in Utah.


True. Clippers-Mavs series was one of the few exceptions.
Cubbies2120
Rookie
Posts: 1,215
And1: 1,719
Joined: Apr 20, 2012
Location: MD
       

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#927 » by Cubbies2120 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:51 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Glad to see Ayton get some credit for a 3rd year player many thought was no good...I know many who have paid attention have given him credit this year, but good to see more.


I don't know if it's that people thought he was no good, but moreso that Luka and Trae make that draft pick look worse than it was.

Ayton is a very solid player, and if Luka and Trae weren't around, you wouldn't be hearing crap like that.
When they start projecting & attacking you instead of your argument, you've won 8-)
spanishninja
Analyst
Posts: 3,066
And1: 2,070
Joined: Jan 07, 2014
 

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#928 » by spanishninja » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:32 pm

ChinaInc wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:
Neither LeBron nor AD have looked like themselves after their returns. There hasn’t been a “healthy Lakers team” since the beginning of the year.


LeBron looked a lot better than people have said. He was making some crazy dunks. Both looked a lot better than Paul through 3 games. I think LeBron is just getting too old and likely never looks as good as he used to again. AD has never done much in the playoffs as a #1 guy.


Hot take warning but he's always been the number one guy since joining the Lakers. Without him the Lakers were a borderline lottery team


I really hope the Lakers' demise, coupled with the Jazz and Suns doing great, will shift the teambuilding philosophy away from superteams. Surely GMs will be more careful about putting all their eggs in 2-3 baskets with injuries being such a factor this year.
insomniac00
Sophomore
Posts: 125
And1: 135
Joined: Apr 24, 2015
   

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#929 » by insomniac00 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:45 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
insomniac00 wrote:
PlatinumState wrote:
Youre the first person I've seen thats not a fan of the Valley jerseys


I actually agree with him. The 90s sunburst jerseys were the best. The Valley ones aren't ugly, but they don't look like the Suns. The team's colors are purple and orange, but the current braintrust is obsessed with black.

When they show shots of the Suns crowd you see tons of people wearing the 90s stuff despite those being several iterations ago. It's what fans really want.


I liked those, but I think they are overrated due to those being the Barkley/KJ years and success. I prefer the vintage purple ones. And the white ones. There are a few others...some more recent white ones..I do like the purple ones this year too. Seems like they are wearing the black ones a lot lately, but perhaps they are bringing us luck.


My only issue with vintage purple is they look too much like the Knicks. If they're the ones I think you're talking about.
User avatar
iamworthy
RealGM
Posts: 19,637
And1: 7,936
Joined: Jul 20, 2007
Location: Ring City!!!
   

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#930 » by iamworthy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:46 pm

spanishninja wrote:
ChinaInc wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
LeBron looked a lot better than people have said. He was making some crazy dunks. Both looked a lot better than Paul through 3 games. I think LeBron is just getting too old and likely never looks as good as he used to again. AD has never done much in the playoffs as a #1 guy.


Hot take warning but he's always been the number one guy since joining the Lakers. Without him the Lakers were a borderline lottery team


I really hope the Lakers' demise, coupled with the Jazz and Suns doing great, will shift the teambuilding philosophy away from superteams. Surely GMs will be more careful about putting all their eggs in 2-3 baskets with injuries being such a factor this year.


Nah,

1. This season Is an outlier due to the shortened off-season.
2. Lakers acquiring LeBron James and AD has already paid off with the championship last year. How many franchises have zero championships? If teams have the opportunity to get one they should do whatever they feel is best to get one.

Baxter Holmes wrote an article as couple days ago explaining the impact of this season

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31592404/data-shows-nba-injuries-condensed-season%3fplatform=amp
Image
Jedi32
Head Coach
Posts: 6,512
And1: 5,521
Joined: Oct 30, 2014
Location: Showtime Era
 

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#931 » by Jedi32 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:46 pm

homecourtloss wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:
You haven't exactly been Nostradamus-esque with your predictions thus far though:



So let's maybe stick to facts instead of hypotheticals? And a fact is that we don't know how the Lakers would have done against these Nuggets because LAL couldn't get passed the Suns in the round and (unlike the Lakers) the Nuggets are not a play-in team so they wouldn't have faced them there either.


Yeah, a healthy Lakers team, needed a miracle last second LeBron 3 when the shot clock was almost out to beat a GS team without Klay, Wiseman or Oubre. I know according to the Lakers fans those Warriors injuries don't count, but that same Warriors team that lost by 3 to the Lakers on that last second shot couldn't get by Memphis.


Neither LeBron nor AD have looked like themselves after their returns. There hasn’t been a “healthy Lakers team” since the beginning of the year.

Folks don't like facts around here they like narratives.
HotRocks34
RealGM
Posts: 10,866
And1: 11,492
Joined: Jun 23, 2007

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#932 » by HotRocks34 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:10 pm

Super, super impressed with the Suns.

They may even be able to get to the Finals and give the Nets a run.

As far as I know, they're the healthiest team left. If they can keep that up, who knows?
User avatar
darmani
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,325
And1: 1,695
Joined: Dec 20, 2018
 

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#933 » by darmani » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:50 pm

Read on Twitter
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
spanishninja
Analyst
Posts: 3,066
And1: 2,070
Joined: Jan 07, 2014
 

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#934 » by spanishninja » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:53 pm

darmani wrote:
Read on Twitter


yeah. nobody gave a **** about us when Dragic AND Bledsoe were injured the same season we were 1 win away from making the playoffs in 2013-2014, or last season when Ayton was suspended 25 games and we were again 1 win away from making the playoffs.

Let's not even talk about SSOL years with various injuries and suspensions during the playoffs.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,246
And1: 4,551
Joined: Dec 20, 2006
     

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#935 » by jcsunsfan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:55 pm

homecourtloss wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:
You haven't exactly been Nostradamus-esque with your predictions thus far though:



So let's maybe stick to facts instead of hypotheticals? And a fact is that we don't know how the Lakers would have done against these Nuggets because LAL couldn't get passed the Suns in the round and (unlike the Lakers) the Nuggets are not a play-in team so they wouldn't have faced them there either.


Yeah, a healthy Lakers team, needed a miracle last second LeBron 3 when the shot clock was almost out to beat a GS team without Klay, Wiseman or Oubre. I know according to the Lakers fans those Warriors injuries don't count, but that same Warriors team that lost by 3 to the Lakers on that last second shot couldn't get by Memphis.


Neither LeBron nor AD have looked like themselves after their returns. There hasn’t been a “healthy Lakers team” since the beginning of the year.

Age and decline is a chronic condition. It doesn't go away. Sometimes you can overcome it for a little while if you get like four months of rest in the middle of the year.

The Blazers would have been great too if Oden and Brandon Roy had been healthy. Better put an asterisk on the rest of the league for those years.

Good grief Laker fans are annoying. EVERY YEAR teams have to deal with injuries. It is how the league works.
insomniac00
Sophomore
Posts: 125
And1: 135
Joined: Apr 24, 2015
   

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#936 » by insomniac00 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:09 pm

spanishninja wrote:
darmani wrote:
Read on Twitter


yeah. nobody gave a **** about us when Dragic AND Bledsoe were injured the same season we were 1 win away from making the playoffs in 2013-2014, or last season when Ayton was suspended 25 games and we were again 1 win away from making the playoffs.

Let's not even talk about SSOL years with various injuries and suspensions during the playoffs.


And like you said, it goes way further back than that. Amare suspension. Nash bloody nose. Joe Johnson breaking his face.

When the Suns are good, the basektball gods tend to reach for their dynamite.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
Posts: 37,301
And1: 11,851
Joined: Jul 01, 2010

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [1-0] 

Post#937 » by ibraheim718 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:21 pm

Sharkboy242 wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
Sharkboy242 wrote:Lol except Morris has been by far the worst player in this series thus far.


Doesn't matter. Morris got them in this position and he was starting before he got hurt because he's better than Campazzo or Rivers. Let him find a rhythm with the starters. He wouldn't have to press to score either.

He's supposed to better than Rivers/Campazzo, too bad reality overrides theory. Morris was god awful his first playoff stint, and was decent in the bubble. Its no one but his own fault that he doesn't inspire enough confidence to be a starter. His defense is definitively bad. Like MPJ, if his shot isn't falling he brings very little to the table.


His defense is statistically on par with Campazzo and offensively much better than Campazzo. Malone probably thinks two things.. one that starting Morris weakens his bench and that two the starting back court of Rivers and Campazzo has been performing well and he doesn't want to rock the boat which isn't true. The starting 5 of Rivers/Facu/MPJ/Gordon/Jokic had a net rating of -9.1 during the regular season.. they're giving up more points than they score per 100 possessions.

To think Morris' only value is scoring is ignorant. His value is the ability to run the high pnr two man game with Jokic better than anyone on the team as evident by the end of games 5 and 6 against Portland of which he played the whole 4th quarter in both because Malone couldn't afford to bench him.

Every advanced statistical metric shows Morris performs better than every guard on the Nuggets roster sans Murray in the playoffs or regular season and that's with the current slump included.
collidingNeurons
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,753
And1: 703
Joined: Jul 02, 2004

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#938 » by collidingNeurons » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:39 am

when does the lakers talk in this thread constitute derailment? it becoming more prevalent than the topic of the thread and tiresome
pj0tr
Junior
Posts: 394
And1: 309
Joined: Jul 25, 2012
   

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#939 » by pj0tr » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:59 pm

collidingNeurons wrote:when does the lakers talk in this thread constitute derailment? it becoming more prevalent than the topic of the thread and tiresome


Because the media narrative is that the Lakers lost due to injury (while they conveniently mention CP3's injury as a small side note in the first 4 games of that series)...

They're still pushing that narrative, and of course the Lakers, with their large fanbase, eat that up and puff their chest out about it.

People just don't want to accept the Suns are a good team, and the series could've been just as different had CP3 never been hurt.

The Suns were rolling in Game 1 on offense before CP3 got hurt, and if you re-watch their games, especially 1-3 on offense, they changed most of their offense and the stuff they ran in the regular season, because of that.

With a healthy CP3 on offense, they've ran almost all of the stuff against Denver that they ran in the regular season for 90% of the games (they actually changed their offense to more isolation stuff in the later part of the season, probably to prepare them for the playoffs).
Fo-Real
Head Coach
Posts: 7,473
And1: 3,673
Joined: Mar 21, 2009
     

Re: WC | Rd. 2| (2) Suns vs (3) Nuggets [2-0 Suns] 

Post#940 » by Fo-Real » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:17 pm

pj0tr wrote:
collidingNeurons wrote:when does the lakers talk in this thread constitute derailment? it becoming more prevalent than the topic of the thread and tiresome


Because the media narrative is that the Lakers lost due to injury (while they conveniently mention CP3's injury as a small side note in the first 4 games of that series)...

They're still pushing that narrative, and of course the Lakers, with their large fanbase, eat that up and puff their chest out about it.

People just don't want to accept the Suns are a good team, and the series could've been just as different had CP3 never been hurt.

The Suns were rolling in Game 1 on offense before CP3 got hurt, and if you re-watch their games, especially 1-3 on offense, they changed most of their offense and the stuff they ran in the regular season, because of that.

With a healthy CP3 on offense, they've ran almost all of the stuff against Denver that they ran in the regular season for 90% of the games (they actually changed their offense to more isolation stuff in the later part of the season, probably to prepare them for the playoffs).


Also Cam Johnson is still battling a hand injury (Shooting hand). This is why his shooting is ass sometimes!

Return to The General Board