Pippen Writing Memoir, Tells His Side of Story

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,131

Re: Pippen Writing Memoir, Tells His Side of Story 

Post#21 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:38 pm

slightly better prime iguodala. Thats a really good basketball player. Ive never found someone who thinks any less of him.
asas
Pro Prospect
And1: 588

Post#22 » by asas » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:39 pm

Obviously Last Dance is created to make Jordan look amazing. There still are bad moments because you can't just hide how Jordan really acted but overall it was a positive for him. Pippen's story will be interesting but it will have the same exact problem.

They all are petty and jealous and can't be trusted.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,906

Post#23 » by The Explorer » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:41 pm

FreeThrowLine wrote:Having said all that, the first thing that came to mind in all honesty is that Pippen is trying to cash in on the success of the Last Dance documentary and figured now would be a good time to make some money

Why would he need the cash though? He had a comfortable gig at ESPN jump, not sure if he left that.
He got divorced a couple years ago I believe, and his son died recently. Not sure if those things would trigger a cash/publicity grab like this. He doesn't strike me as out for publicity, though he does seem petty.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,171

Post#24 » by ItsDanger » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:42 pm

I don't think he ever got his due recognition. Was that media driven? Maybe.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Freighttrain
Analyst
And1: 7,080

Post#25 » by Freighttrain » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:43 pm

So the truth will probably be somewhere in the middle.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,706

Post#26 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:46 pm

FreeThrowLine wrote:I loved Pippen the basketball player, but he’s shown over the years that he’s holding on to so much jealousy that he can’t move past.

He’s within his rights to give his side but there are some things which don’t require further explanation that showed how mentally weak Pippen could be in certain situations.

I’m not saying he needs to kiss the ground Jordan walks on, but there’s no doubt in my mind that Scottie starting his career anywhere else doesn’t have the success, fame or reputation that he ended up with

I strongly disagree. Sure he doesn't win 6 titles, but he'd have been the second best wing in the nba and he'd be much more respected as an offensive player and potentially defensive player had he had his own team to run.
KodiakBear
Sixth Man
And1: 2,042

Post#27 » by KodiakBear » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:46 pm

Don't get the backlash to this. Yes this book will be from his perspective and you can take that for what it is just as The Last Dance was from MJ's perspective and you can take that for what it is.

Always interesting to hear legends of the game give their side of things. Surprised he hasn't written a memoir before. There are a lot of players far less proven in the game who have written memoirs.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#28 » by GYK » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:47 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:slightly better prime iguodala. Thats a really good basketball player. Ive never found someone who thinks any less of him.

I think he was clearly better than Iggy, who was the most underrated player in his era(should have way more All Defensive teams and at the least the 2017 6MOTY). But yea either we vastly underrate 07-10 Iggy or 90-98 Pippen.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,029

Post#29 » by JN61 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:47 pm

Pippen always struck me as a self made victim. Don't have any interest in this.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#30 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:48 pm

ArtMorte wrote:I hope for Pippen's sake that the book keeps disputes with Jordan's side of the story / The Last Dance to a minimum, because in the wider public's eyes he can only lose a tit-for-tat with MJ.

To be fair the general public haven't read a book since high school or college. They're not going to read this either. Pippen however is going to get a nice pay check and that's really what this is about.
spacemonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,661

Post#31 » by spacemonkey » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:49 pm

I'll read it. I hope it's better written than Ray Allen's. The juicy stories will carry a lot of water, but man nothing could save Ray Ray's book, that was just really boring.

The book Playing for Keeps while ostensibly about MJ has a lot of Pippen stories.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#32 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:51 pm

The Explorer wrote:
FreeThrowLine wrote:Having said all that, the first thing that came to mind in all honesty is that Pippen is trying to cash in on the success of the Last Dance documentary and figured now would be a good time to make some money

Why would he need the cash though? He had a comfortable gig at ESPN jump, not sure if he left that.
He got divorced a couple years ago I believe, and his son died recently. Not sure if those things would trigger a cash/publicity grab like this. He doesn't strike me as out for publicity, though he does seem petty.

Pretty well known Pippen was absolutely horrible with money...at one point if I'm remembering correctly the guy had a private plane. he never had that kind of money which is why he's had financial problem after financial problem.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#33 » by GYK » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:52 pm

Sidekick is very demeaning. Alpha talk is ridiculous especially when you think about the people who bring it up. Like so are you the alpha amongst your not as cool peers? King of the cubicle? No it doesn’t work like that human interaction is far more nuanced?
I don’t need the book because unless it’s scandalous I don’t think it’ll be very interesting but all for Pippen fighting the sidekick talk. Or whatever else the media painted him as(personally hate when they show his rookie season playing with Oakley as to why he needed to get tougher).
tsirigoj
Rookie
And1: 637

Post#34 » by tsirigoj » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:52 pm

I ain't mad. Not taking anything away from Jordan's greatness, but Scottie was a HUGE reason why the lore of Michael Jordan is so legendary. Without Scottie, Jordan isn't Jordan. It's time to pay the man the respect he deserves.
tsirigoj
Rookie
And1: 637

Post#35 » by tsirigoj » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:53 pm

spacemonkey wrote:I'll read it. I hope it's better written than Ray Allen's. The juicy stories will carry a lot of water, but man nothing could save Ray Ray's book, that was just really boring.

The book Playing for Keeps while ostensibly about MJ has a lot of Pippen stories.

Shaquille O'Neal's "Shaq Talks Back" is the best NBA autobiography I've read hahaha
magicman1978
Analyst
And1: 2,078

Post#36 » by magicman1978 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:54 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
FreeThrowLine wrote:I loved Pippen the basketball player, but he’s shown over the years that he’s holding on to so much jealousy that he can’t move past.

He’s within his rights to give his side but there are some things which don’t require further explanation that showed how mentally weak Pippen could be in certain situations.

I’m not saying he needs to kiss the ground Jordan walks on, but there’s no doubt in my mind that Scottie starting his career anywhere else doesn’t have the success, fame or reputation that he ended up with

I strongly disagree. Sure he doesn't win 6 titles, but he'd have been the second best wing in the nba and he'd be much more respected as an offensive player and potentially defensive player had he had his own team to run.

Or he could have been disrespected because of his poor offensive showing in the playoffs. There's a reason those poor showings don't get brought up much when people talk about him.
Lakers LeBron
Senior
And1: 1,679

Post#37 » by Lakers LeBron » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:01 pm

magicman1978 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Or he could have been disrespected because of his poor offensive showing in the playoffs. There's a reason those poor showings don't get brought up much when people talk about him.

But Pippen's poor offensive showings are brought up endlessly while Jordan's bad games are completely ignored. For example, Last Dance did not mention the time Jordan shot 3-18 against the Knicks while the Bulls were down 0-2 in the series in 93 while Pippen played the game of his life to save the Bulls season. It just said that the Bulls went to Chicago and Jordan led them to victory.

The reason Jordan's poor showings are not brought up is because Jordan is is treated as this flawless legendary figure and people just don't believe that he often had bad games and relied heavily on his teammates during the title runs.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,963

Post#38 » by Phreak50 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:05 pm

If he did his own voiceover for the audio book I'd buy it.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,802

Post#39 » by G35 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:05 pm

This is why it is so difficult to find the perfect #2 because that guy has to have the following:
- Lead the team when the #1 is injured/off the court (see 1994)
- subjugate your statistical goals for the #1 guy/benefit of the team
- Lower your ego for whatever the #1 guy wants to do on the court

This is why Scottie got so mad in that playoff game vs the Knicks when Phil drew up that last shot for Kukoc, he was thinking, "Finally I get to have the last shot and be the man." That may sound petty and it is, but it is a natural human desire and it was taken away from him.

This is the same thing Kobe went through with Shaq and I'm sure a few teammates of Lebron.....
I'm so tired of the typical......
magicman1978
Analyst
And1: 2,078

Post#40 » by magicman1978 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:06 pm

Lakers LeBron wrote:
magicman1978 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

But Pippen's poor offensive showings are brought up endlessly

By who? I'm steering away from the Jordan discussion, because that's not the point here. My point is that people tend to pick players apart based on their playoff performances, but those tend to get overlooked if you win championships.

Return to The General Board