Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat?

Moderators: infinite11285, ken6199, Domejandro, -Sammy-, zimpy27, bwgood77, KingDavid, Dirk, jamaalstar21

How hot is his seat

Not at all
122
58%
Lukewarm
47
22%
Starting to heat up
28
13%
Hot
8
4%
Budenholzer
4
2%
 
Total votes: 209

cjmcallist
Pro Prospect
Posts: 752
And1: 306
Joined: Jul 27, 2018
 

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#41 » by cjmcallist » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:24 pm

Nelson is the problem. Look at the two rosters (Clips and Mavs). The fact that Carlisle’s chess move was to play more of BOBAN MARJANOVIC is telling.

Someone does need to be held accountable, but it’s not Carlisle.
Chuck Everett
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,927
And1: 4,111
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:
   

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#42 » by Chuck Everett » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:24 pm

If Luka wants him out, he will be canned. Simple as that.
User avatar
Woodsanity
RealGM
Posts: 11,057
And1: 4,875
Joined: Mar 30, 2012
 

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#43 » by Woodsanity » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:28 pm

How about for once we blame the dam gm for building trash can teams instead of the coach? :noway: :crazy:

The Mavs team outside of Luka and maybe one or two role players is complete dung water.
twix2500 wrote:If Lebron went to NY and Melo to Miami, Melo would have a trophy and Lebron would not.

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:The more I watch basketball, the more I realize that Kobe, in his absolute prime (2006-2008), was a top 2 player of all-time, only second to Jordan.
Archx
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,146
And1: 3,606
Joined: Feb 09, 2018
   

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#44 » by Archx » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:55 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Archx wrote:I think Mavs have bigger problems with their GM than coach.


Recent reporting out of Dallas is Harlabob might be their biggest issue and I'm guessing most people forgot Dallas even hired him and have no idea how much influence he has gained in the organization.


No clue tbh... But i know Cuban already said coaching change is not an option. I would also like to see a bit different roster before screaming for a coaching change. Donnie on the other hand has made A TON of questionable trades and just recently also pissed off entire Mavs fan base with his comments about Doncic.
ChinaInc
Junior
Posts: 288
And1: 259
Joined: Dec 10, 2020

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#45 » by ChinaInc » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:59 pm

Image
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 64,641
And1: 60,078
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: 403 Minutes in the Bay
   

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#46 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:03 pm

cjmcallist wrote:Nelson is the problem. Look at the two rosters (Clips and Mavs). The fact that Carlisle’s chess move was to play more of BOBAN MARJANOVIC is telling.

Someone does need to be held accountable, but it’s not Carlisle.


Does someone? Or are the Mavs simply ahead of schedule because of Luka's immense talent? Look Donnie had a rough off-season last year. No doubt. Curry for Richardson was a major bust. Drafting Green when Bey was there was a miss. Having to pay to dump Wright after signing him the year before was a bust.

But I'm not prepared to fire a guy whose resume includes:

found Dirk
identified Nash could be a star
pounded the table to draft Giannis but was overruled by his owner
Had been following Luka since he was 13 and was the only GM in the league aggressive enough to go him when other teams messed up.

Finding MVP level players is so much more valuable than a bunch of tiny mistakes. Just so much infinitely more valuable. And Donnie has a lot of hits outside those 4 players. A bunch of them.

Fans want to make a scapegoat out of someone because of the fallacy that making a change is always better. But its not. Dallas fires Donnie they aren't likely to find a better FO guy. If they fire Rick they aren't likely to find a better head coach.

Sometimes nobody's head needs to roll. They are still in the building process only Luka rapidly sped up the time line.
bondom34 wrote:This is stupid and you know this is stupid.
User avatar
Lunartic
Analyst
Posts: 3,301
And1: 4,897
Joined: Nov 28, 2015

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#47 » by Lunartic » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:07 pm

Hopefully very hot and the Bulls sign him. He's a top-3 coach in the NBA.
He has got the talent that Thibs and Pop share, extracting every last ounce of talent out of roleplayers. RC made Monta Ellis and OJ Mayo into a very legit offensive team, he's run some of the most elite offenses in the league every year without any legit offensive stars sans Luka and Dirk's corpse.

If he's fired, every single team would be making offers within hours
User avatar
Effigy
RealGM
Posts: 12,142
And1: 9,341
Joined: Nov 27, 2001
     

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#48 » by Effigy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:16 pm

Go ahead and fire him and see what life is like with Jason Kidd as your coach.
Ayt
RealGM
Posts: 53,244
And1: 8,404
Joined: Jun 27, 2005

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#49 » by Ayt » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:33 pm

In which seasons did they underperform expectations? Dallas tends to always be better than I expect them to be.
ayyayyron
Senior
Posts: 592
And1: 543
Joined: Oct 29, 2020
 

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#50 » by ayyayyron » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:35 pm

like Kristaps Porzingis: ice cold
NBA fan first, Nets fan second, Grayson Allen hater third
cjmcallist
Pro Prospect
Posts: 752
And1: 306
Joined: Jul 27, 2018
 

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#51 » by cjmcallist » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:40 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:Nelson is the problem. Look at the two rosters (Clips and Mavs). The fact that Carlisle’s chess move was to play more of BOBAN MARJANOVIC is telling.

Someone does need to be held accountable, but it’s not Carlisle.


Does someone? Or are the Mavs simply ahead of schedule because of Luka's immense talent? Look Donnie had a rough off-season last year. No doubt. Curry for Richardson was a major bust. Drafting Green when Bey was there was a miss. Having to pay to dump Wright after signing him the year before was a bust.

But I'm not prepared to fire a guy whose resume includes:

found Dirk
identified Nash could be a star
pounded the table to draft Giannis but was overruled by his owner
Had been following Luka since he was 13 and was the only GM in the league aggressive enough to go him when other teams messed up.

Finding MVP level players is so much more valuable than a bunch of tiny mistakes. Just so much infinitely more valuable. And Donnie has a lot of hits outside those 4 players. A bunch of them.

Fans want to make a scapegoat out of someone because of the fallacy that making a change is always better. But its not. Dallas fires Donnie they aren't likely to find a better FO guy. If they fire Rick they aren't likely to find a better head coach.

Sometimes nobody's head needs to roll. They are still in the building process only Luka rapidly sped up the time line.

This is a good point, and valid POV. And - to be clear - I don’t think he’s a horrible GM.

If I’m Cuban, my perspective would be more about the future. I’m not sure Nelson has demonstrated the ability to build a team for the last decade or so. Drafting MVPs is great, but that’s not where they are at right now.

Maybe to your point, they need to bring someone else in to build the rest of the team now. Keep Donnie to draft an MVP every 20 years (only slight sarcasm there).
Statlanta
Head Coach
Posts: 6,953
And1: 4,882
Joined: Mar 06, 2016
 

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#52 » by Statlanta » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:43 pm

It’s ice cold. KP and Josh Richardson have the 1st ticket out of Dallas
The 2010's will be known for NBA collusion just as the 2000's were known for MLB doping.
Glorifying either is glorifying anti-competition.
dirkforpres
RealGM
Posts: 10,384
And1: 5,210
Joined: Sep 13, 2005
   

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#53 » by dirkforpres » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:59 pm

Not nearly as hot as it should be. The Boban gameplan was actually embarrassing to watch. This has-been coach is nothing without great assistants. Can’t wait till he retires or Mark actually sacks up and fires his stupid ass
FIRE RICK CARLISLE
reamily
Junior
Posts: 329
And1: 48
Joined: Feb 01, 2020

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#54 » by reamily » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:02 pm

HotRocks34 wrote:Not hot, and should not be hot

Dude can coach. Front office needs to get better players.

And to be fair to the GM, he didn't know both Porzingis and Powell would have season-altering injuries last year (that diminished both this year).

He was good but isnt perfect, he made josh richardson a starter an afterthought he also dint give enoughleash to luka to do better decisions on the court ( like what phil did to kobe and mj)
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 15,620
And1: 6,889
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#55 » by queridiculo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:04 pm

The Mavericks should definitely fire Carlisle.
phanman
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,716
And1: 5,675
Joined: Mar 18, 2016

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#56 » by phanman » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:26 pm

RC has always been a top notch coach for me. That Boban strategy was a hail mary but the team had limited options with every other big in KP, Powell and Kleber struggling.

The Richardson for Curry swap was a straight disaster considering how much of a difference Seth has made for Philly all year and Richardson buried on the bench.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 44,273
And1: 13,205
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Cali
   

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#57 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:45 pm

matt6715 wrote:Donnie Nelson needs to go before Carlisle. This is a GM/roster issue, not a coaching issue


Seriously, what was he thinking in 2018 trading the rights the #5 pick for some Euro?
Hey: With what's going on in the world, my fuse is shorter than it used to be, and it's leading my lose my cool and then go on self-imposed breaks from things (such as RealGM). Please try to keep it civil, and I'll be looking to do the same.
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 63,361
And1: 57,982
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: Let's Stop and Get A Hot Dog
 

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#58 » by Capn'O » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:48 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:Shouldn't we just ask Luka Doncic this question?

That guy has more say (all the say) in Carlisle's future. At least for right now, if Doncic wants Carlisle to stay, he stays. If he wants him out, he's out.


So, your answer would be Lukawarm?
BAF Clippers
PG: SGA Conley Chiozza
SG: KCP Melton Bacon
SF: Middleton THT
PF: DFS Bjelica Toliver
C: Vuc Nurkic Holmes

RIP Mags :beer:
"Greatness wasn't worth anything if you couldn't share it."-Kobe
KhalilS
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,559
And1: 983
Joined: Aug 20, 2020

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#59 » by KhalilS » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:51 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
matt6715 wrote:Donnie Nelson needs to go before Carlisle. This is a GM/roster issue, not a coaching issue


Seriously, what was he thinking in 2018 trading the rights the #5 pick for some Euro?


Your sarcasm actually hit the nail on the head, he pulls great rabbits out of his hat (Dirk & Luka are the obvious, but trading for Chandler, Marion and Kidd was brilliant, picking undrafted DFS, getting THJ, who proved to be a very useful player, as a supposed poison pill in the KP trade, the the KP trade itself was brilliant, Josh Howard was a great find), OTOH, we tend to remember failures and take successes as a given, like the KP max contract before setting a foot on the court, signing Barnes, drafting Green when the world and his mother were screaming Siddiq Bey, and giving Dampier that contract back in the day, etc...
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 44,273
And1: 13,205
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Cali
   

Re: Just how hot is Rick Carlisle's seat? 

Post#60 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:59 pm

KhalilS wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
matt6715 wrote:Donnie Nelson needs to go before Carlisle. This is a GM/roster issue, not a coaching issue


Seriously, what was he thinking in 2018 trading the rights the #5 pick for some Euro?


Your sarcasm actually hit the nail on the head, he pulls great rabbits out of his hat (Dirk & Luka are the obvious, but trading for Chandler, Marion and Kidd was brilliant, picking undrafted DFS, getting THJ, who proved to be a very useful player, as a supposed poison pill in the KP trade, the the KP trade itself was brilliant, Josh Howard was a great find), OTOH, we tend to remember failures and take successes as a given, like the KP max contract before setting a foot on the court, signing Barnes, drafting Green when the world and his mother were screaming Siddiq Bey, and giving Dampier that contract back in the day, etc...


Oh he's had his misses, I'm just tripping on the idea Nelson would be on the hot seat specifically for not yet building a championship team for a player he traded up to draft 3 years ago. Tough to please.
Hey: With what's going on in the world, my fuse is shorter than it used to be, and it's leading my lose my cool and then go on self-imposed breaks from things (such as RealGM). Please try to keep it civil, and I'll be looking to do the same.

Return to The General Board