Should the Nba get rid of espn?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Should the Nba eliminate espn

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 183

jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Re: Should the Nba get rid of espn? 

Post#41 » by jfs1000d » Thu Jul 8, 2021 9:48 pm

Trey24 wrote:NBA needs Disney for China so I doubt that they will part ways. With that being said, ESPN is the CNN of sports networks at this point. Agenda matters more than the actual sports

What does that mean? What agenda?

Espn has an issue because it is too much talking heads and opinion. Not enough story telling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#42 » by jfs1000d » Thu Jul 8, 2021 9:49 pm

DeBrick wrote:I'd like to see NBC get it, their NHL coverage was impressive

And nobody watched.

ZombieKilla
Rookie
And1: 1,085

Post#43 » by ZombieKilla » Thu Jul 8, 2021 9:49 pm

Remember when MTV played music 24/7?
And then at some point the entire network went all in on the trashy conflict-reality show garbage that it is today.
Same thing happened with ESPN & live sports.
It's just idiots screaming onscreen and people backstabbing each other offscreen these days.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,393

Post#44 » by phanman » Thu Jul 8, 2021 9:57 pm

This reddit thread was pretty damn interesting, considering I also timed it myself watching the game.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/ogbc5j/espnabcs_game_1_halftime_coverage_was_752_ads/

TLDR: ESPN halftime show was 75% ads -> 4mins of coverage out of 16mins allowed
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#45 » by HMFFL » Thu Jul 8, 2021 10:06 pm

zeebneeb wrote:Absolutely. ESPN is riding on its own legacy, instead of being the best. When a league has to address scandal on the network that covers them, you know the wheels are already turning.

Everything about ESPN is terrible. Horrible presentation, camera angles, commentary is lackluster, halftime show is brutal, interviews while the game is going on is the absolute worst, the list is endless.

Athletic competition is all about how its presented, and ESPN is horrendous. I also loathe how they quite the crowd at times ruining the atmosphere of the actual game.
I completely agree with you.

Just now, I watched ESPN heads saying how College Athletes being paid will mean the athletes will spend more money on drugs, women, and cars.

No mention about investing for their future or anything positive.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Post#46 » by SkyHookFTW » Thu Jul 8, 2021 10:15 pm

dan-man wrote:
Currygoat wrote:Their contract is up soon and ESPN has been making the league look bad. Adam silver looked frustrated when he had to address the Rachel Nicholes situation. I think a change is needed. TNT and FOX needs to secure the nba when the television deal expires

Fox - definitely the organization you want spearheading a progressive, "Black Lives Matter" focused agenda..... not
Fox doesn't get political with their sports coverage, and they do a damn good job at any sport they cover.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,423

Post#47 » by Mavrelous » Thu Jul 8, 2021 10:19 pm

Currygoat wrote:Their contract is up soon and ESPN has been making the league look bad. Adam silver looked frustrated when he had to address the Rachel Nicholes situation. I think a change is needed. TNT and FOX needs to secure the nba when the television deal expires

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#48 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Jul 8, 2021 11:03 pm

miamiheat319 wrote:In a perfect world where TV deals don't exist, how well would an NBA streaming service work?

$10-15/month for:

- every game every night regardless of market (no blackouts)
- historic playoff games and iconic regular season games (Kobe 81, etc.)
- documentaries like The Last Dance and other 30 for 30 style programs
- ESPN-esque talking heads shows because some people still enjoy those
- other misc (dunk contests, international games if they could get the rights)

I don't watch as much basketball as I used to but a few years ago I probably would've pulled the trigger on something like that. Would never work now with the logistics of TV deals and market blah blah blah but idk I think it could pull some serious money in for the league.

It'd probably cost more like $30-40 per month but that kinda streaming service is the dream.
cornchip
Pro Prospect
And1: 518

Post#49 » by cornchip » Thu Jul 8, 2021 11:31 pm

Streaming games isn't as easy as it sounds. League Pass still has some issues and they use regional TV crews.

We'll see how Amazon does with the NFL in 2022 but that's still one game a week.

As far as ESPN/ABC goes, I wouldn't drop them completely but I wish Turner/CBS would take the Finals. The NCAA March Madness coverage is sublime on CBS.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#50 » by Dominator83 » Thu Jul 8, 2021 11:37 pm

Harry Garris wrote:I guess so but I bet that no matter what media company covers the NBA people are going to have a problem with how they're doing it.

Yea kind of like how fans complain about every coaches rotations
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#51 » by GYK » Thu Jul 8, 2021 11:39 pm

This is problem with 24/7 “news” network
Also the problem with monopolies, no other game in town they don’t have to compete with anyone to actually have to have good content
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#52 » by LofJ » Thu Jul 8, 2021 11:40 pm

I love the poll results, I hope the NBA feels the same way.
jaymo123
Starter
And1: 763

Post#53 » by jaymo123 » Thu Jul 8, 2021 11:41 pm

The NBA is not going to part ways with ESPN/Disney unless ESPN/Disney parts ways with them. I could see the NBA requesting better analysts and reporters. If I was ESPN, I would replace everybody on the countdown show.
illuminati666
Analyst
And1: 4,561

Post#54 » by illuminati666 » Thu Jul 8, 2021 11:50 pm

bstein14 wrote:Downside of getting rid of them is that then ESPN has much less interest is covering the NBA. 24 hour sports network you want them to have shows like The Jump. I think it would be great to see a 3rd network take some of the games but the NBA needs ESPN just like ESPN needs the NBA.

Perhaps YouTube or Facebook start broadcasting live games as TV is moving to Apps anyways.

Agree eliminating them completely is probably a bad call, but def bringing in a 3rd network won't be. Youtube and Facebook is def going to have a much bigger role in live sports moving forward, which is good for tech progression but mark my words will be bad for product quality. Youtube has all the money and no real competition... if we go in that direction I don't see things becoming better before they get worse.
VancouverRaps
Head Coach
And1: 12,852

Post#55 » by VancouverRaps » Thu Jul 8, 2021 11:58 pm

The true basketball fans seem tired of ESPN, but it's not going to happen. They're great for drawing in casual fans with their clickbait talk show clips.
We the Champs
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,905

Post#56 » by whatisacenter » Fri Jul 9, 2021 12:15 am

If it would Mark Jackson and JVG off the air I am game.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#57 » by Ballerhogger » Fri Jul 9, 2021 12:21 am

If they can get back with TNT sure but that’s unlikely
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#58 » by Michael Lucky » Fri Jul 9, 2021 12:23 am

Well with ESPN they also have to then dump ABC and Disney, so it's not that easy revenue wise. TNT sure as hell can't compete with Disney in terms of contractual money. Might be time to divest into amazon, i guess, and hope amazon decides to buy out some cable companies...
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#59 » by Dominator83 » Fri Jul 9, 2021 12:25 am

jfs1000d wrote:
DeBrick wrote:I'd like to see NBC get it, their NHL coverage was impressive

And nobody watched.

Doesn't mean the coverage wasn't good. Combine the NBA product with NBC coverage........
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,451

Post#60 » by Slim Charlez » Fri Jul 9, 2021 1:02 am

bstein14 wrote:Downside of getting rid of them is that then ESPN has much less interest is covering the NBA. 24 hour sports network you want them to have shows like The Jump. I think it would be great to see a 3rd network take some of the games but the NBA needs ESPN just like ESPN needs the NBA.

Perhaps YouTube or Facebook start broadcasting live games as TV is moving to Apps anyways.

TVs been dead, shows like the jump are easily replaceable and with everything moving online not many people are checking for sportscenter to check for their favorite teams coverage, should've dumped ESPN a long time ago, TNT's coverage has been way better for more than a decade now

Return to The General Board