Should the Nba get rid of espn?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Should the Nba eliminate espn

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 183

DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,474

Re: Should the Nba get rid of espn? 

Post#61 » by DaPessimist » Fri Jul 9, 2021 2:35 am

ESPN is probably paying them an extreme premium for the games they have now. I doubt Turner is interested in matching that offer.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,133

Post#62 » by HomoSapien » Fri Jul 9, 2021 2:46 am

If ESPN is out, then so is ABC since they're sister networks. It'd be a dream to have NBC and TNT going back to sharing duties. I wonder if Netflix would consider getting into live sports.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,165

Post#63 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri Jul 9, 2021 3:11 am

I stream and espn app is much smoother than nba and tnt. Soo keep ESPN.
Jay_Sizzle
Senior
And1: 526

Post#64 » by Jay_Sizzle » Fri Jul 9, 2021 3:12 am

Between Rachel Nichols and Mark Jackson. Absolutely! Embarrassing for the NBA.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#65 » by clyde21 » Fri Jul 9, 2021 3:19 am

HomoSapien wrote:If ESPN is out, then so is ABC since they're sister networks. It'd be a dream to have NBC and TNT going back to sharing duties. I wonder if Netflix would consider getting into live sports.

NBA should televise their own games, and NBA media should be handled independently the same way news media is now handled WAYYYYYYYYYY better independently than those **** cesspool networks like CNN/MSNBC/Fox etc

that's the way we moving hopefully eventually.
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,370

Post#66 » by The Box Office » Fri Jul 9, 2021 3:21 am

ESPN is f'ckin abysmal. NBC used to air tripleheaders on weekends. ESPN rarely does it. NBC and TNT would be a dream even though Marv Albert retired.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#67 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Jul 9, 2021 3:21 am

Just start their own network. Put an app on ROKU, Firesticks and Apple TV. They can create original programming (movies, scripted shows, reality shows, talk shows) lease content (movies like Hoosiers, Space Jam, Blue chips) and can provide wall to wall coverage of the league all year around. They already have NBA TV they just need more and better ancillary content people would be willing to subscribe to. If they want to give you the option to pay for a limited game pass for just your favorite team for a more expensive tier than they can. I’m surprised they haven’t already. Between sponsors and subs they’d more than make up for loss of the networks
Baz
Rookie
And1: 1,564

Post#68 » by Baz » Fri Jul 9, 2021 3:36 am

I don't mind the ESPN/ABC finals presentation. I like Mike Breen. I like the graphics and scoreboards. I feel the intensity of the game more than I do watching TNT.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#69 » by Marty McFly » Fri Jul 9, 2021 3:38 am

DeBrick wrote:I'd like to see NBC get it, their NHL coverage was impressive

I want that roundball rock jingle back... :cry:

Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 1,907

Post#70 » by Trey24 » Fri Jul 9, 2021 3:39 am

jfs1000d wrote:
Trey24 wrote:NBA needs Disney for China so I doubt that they will part ways. With that being said, ESPN is the CNN of sports networks at this point. Agenda matters more than the actual sports

What does that mean? What agenda?

Espn has an issue because it is too much talking heads and opinion. Not enough story telling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watch any ESPN show for 10 minutes. If you don't see the agenda-based "journalism", then that must be nice. Unfortunately, it is tough for me to watch ESPN outside of the actual live sports (and I change the channel for halftime and skip pregame because there is no substance).
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#71 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Jul 9, 2021 3:39 am

It would be interesting if a new outlet attempted to bring on the NBA such as Vice, FX, OWN, TvOne, or the USA network.

Is Netflix interested?
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#72 » by Marty McFly » Fri Jul 9, 2021 3:41 am

BenoUdrihFTL wrote:
TurinTurambar wrote:
DeBrick wrote:I'd like to see NBC get it, their NHL coverage was impressive

I, like I'm sure many others here, grew up with the NBA on NBC.

We deserve to have John Tesh's theme back.

It makes everything better.

Bulls/Sonics Gm1 was not only the GOAT NBA on NBC intro but the greatest intro to anything in human history

god damn I miss the 90's.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
EH15
General Manager
And1: 6,934

Post#73 » by EH15 » Fri Jul 9, 2021 3:41 am

They zoomed into fans' faces like a dozen times each broadcast. At halftime Jay Williams said he was sick of the Bucks lack of defensive adjustments. In the conference finals last week they were experimenting with new camera angles. I honestly don't think ESPN's quality has ever been lower. I'd like to say this is rock bottom, but I honestly don't know anymore.
Knightfall
Rookie
And1: 1,030

Post#74 » by Knightfall » Fri Jul 9, 2021 3:44 am

babyjax13 wrote:I can see Disney+ adding an "ESPN" tab and have the NBA as their first live sports option. The first streaming service to do that is going to make a ton of money.

With the bundle they have ESPN+ where live sports are played. But I can see what you're saying in wonder why they dont already have it. I'm guessing cause it is a different package.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#75 » by Lalouie » Fri Jul 9, 2021 6:23 am

HotRocks34 wrote:Yes. Please.

That would be a huge improvement.

Forget about Taylor/Nichols stuff. I recall Nichols trying to tell viewers, with like a month left in the season (I think it was) and Embiid having already missed like 19 games how the MVP race wasn't over yet (she was stanning for Embiid, I think). She was basically dissing Jokic stans (and doing so in a foolish way, IMO).

I'd rather watch The Starters on a loop than watch the ESPN 'talent' talk about the NBA. Get people who know more about the subject, at least when it comes to hosts.

tv's coverage and analysis of the nba is a half step better than a rucker's tournament cable broadcast. as a comparison, and why not, football is so much more sophisticated on just competance alone. either the former nba players are hard to listen to or people like zack lowe are hard to watch. like, if breen/jackson/jvg is the nba's front line,,,jackson and jvg literally act like immature fanboys - they should be separated. basically the nfl has got it's S*** together and the nba does not.

i mean top to bottom the nba broadcasts have to be trashed if simply because it's HORRIBLE as is.

it's really quite embarassing to see this level of immaturity on the part of the,,,,,"media"
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#76 » by JN61 » Fri Jul 9, 2021 8:22 am

skones wrote:Can you imagine the Lebron backlash?

Is he talking about LeChina?
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#77 » by JN61 » Fri Jul 9, 2021 8:24 am

miamiheat319 wrote:In a perfect world where TV deals don't exist, how well would an NBA streaming service work?

$10-15/month for:

- every game every night regardless of market (no blackouts)
- historic playoff games and iconic regular season games (Kobe 81, etc.)
- documentaries like The Last Dance and other 30 for 30 style programs
- ESPN-esque talking heads shows because some people still enjoy those
- other misc (dunk contests, international games if they could get the rights)

I don't watch as much basketball as I used to but a few years ago I probably would've pulled the trigger on something like that. Would never work now with the logistics of TV deals and market blah blah blah but idk I think it could pull some serious money in for the league.

It already exists. Costs 30-35$ though.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,463

Post#78 » by KGtabake » Fri Jul 9, 2021 8:27 am

Get Zach Lowe out of there(woj too) and get rid of them.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#79 » by skones » Fri Jul 9, 2021 8:33 am

JN61 wrote:
Is he talking about LeChina?

Yen ovah everythang
aj174
Senior
And1: 898

Post#80 » by aj174 » Fri Jul 9, 2021 9:22 am

zeebneeb wrote:Absolutely. ESPN is riding on its own legacy, instead of being the best. When a league has to address scandal on the network that covers them, you know the wheels are already turning.

Everything about ESPN is terrible. Horrible presentation, camera angles, commentary is lackluster, halftime show is brutal, interviews while the game is going on is the absolute worst, the list is endless.

Athletic competition is all about how its presented, and ESPN is horrendous. I also loathe how they quite the crowd at times ruining the atmosphere of the actual game.

Their camera angles yes! Why the F are they showing these weird camera angles, as if they're experimenting, in the nba finals??

Their presentation sucks. The only good thing is the graphic of their score ticker, with the gold logos of PHX and MIL. Mike Breen is the only good commentator. JVG is okay but complains too much and doesn't give us insight like his brother did. And don't even get me started on Mark Jackson. They just sound miserable, are they even having fun?? And their half time show is 75% ads

Compare to TNT. Their half time show speaks for itself. They just have a good time, genuine laughs and good content. Even if it's not Xs and Os, it's entertaining. The TNT commentary is much better too, I'd take Miller and even Cwebb over mark Jackson and the gloom and doom Crew of ESPN any day.

Give it back to NBC, or even Fox. Time for nba to move on from ESPN

Return to The General Board