Giannis just made a lot of these nba stars look pathetic

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

C3H6N6O6
Analyst
And1: 3,898

Re: Giannis just made a lot of these nba stars look pathetic 

Post#381 » by C3H6N6O6 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:00 pm

WeSkrongDen wrote:
C3H6N6O6 wrote:
thelead wrote:That is an opinion. Please get a dictionary to learn the difference between facts and opinions.

Fact in that sentence is that LeBron was the only all-star on a team that beat a 73-win Warriors team. Irving and Love weren't all-stars.

What are you talking about lol

Irving and Love weren't all-stars in 2016. Don't go into details why that happened please because the whole premise of this thread is to ignore details.
WeSkrongDen
Junior
And1: 184

Post#382 » by WeSkrongDen » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:01 pm

MostValQuitter wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
WeSkrongDen wrote:
It was pretty good. Kyrie was filthy when healthy. His only flaw is durability but he is a legit number 2. Outplayed Curry, the MVP of the league. Thompson was also very good. And Lebron intended to form a super team, it just so happened Love wasn't as good as conventional wisdom.

No championship team is bad, but it wasnt a superteam.

How is Love, Irving, and Lebron not a superteam?

I guess because Love was somewhat disappointing. He was actually really good in a lot of playoff series, the Warriors were just a really bad matchup for him. But he ate up a lot of those Eastern conference teams and his regular seasons numbers were good too.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#383 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:01 pm

First off, the Bucks beat the Lakers even if the Lakers are healthy.

Secondly, all of the Nets big 3 are mentally and physically fragile players, that aren't getting any younger. We will see if they ever are on the court together in the playoffs.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#384 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:01 pm

Reminds me a lot of the Spurs in terms of talent distribution. No, Jrue and Middleton are not top 10 players, but they are really good and the team has ancillary pieces that fit perfectly.

Giannis = Duncan
Middleton = Manu
Holiday = Parker

I think Holiday > Parker and Manu > Middleton, but it is a really good team and I bet they win at least one more in the next five years.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
mulamutti
Pro Prospect
And1: 775

Post#385 » by mulamutti » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:02 pm

Bornstellar wrote:
shi-woo wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:
This is only the end of the discussion if you don't actually look at context or want to present a disingenuous argument

Magic/Kareem - both top 50 players
Larry/McHale - both top 50 players
Jordan/Pippen - both top 50 players
Kobe/Shaq - both top 50 players
Robinson/Duncan - both top 50 players
Wade/Shaq - both top 50 players
Kobe/Gasol - both top 50 players

Why is is that LeBron is the only player who gets crucified for playing with other top tier talent? Wade was a shell of himself by 2013 and Bosh was never a top 10 player to begin with

Because all of those guys became team mates through organic means, not by collusion and intentional team building to break the competative balance of the league?

None of those guys are viewed as mercenaries for hire. Journeyman used to be a term used for borderline scrubs and roleplayers, now it's used for arguable the best player in the game. :roll: :roll:

Teams had to give stuff up to get Shaq to MIA. Gasol to LA. KG to BOS. Teams had to draft and make great trades to for nucleus's like Bird/McHale and Jordan/Pippen.

They didn't sit down and form those teams over a class of wine and dinner 3 years before hand

And why do you think a player wanting to dictate his own future is somehow bad but a GM doing the same thing is good? Really trying to understand the real thinking behind this. Again, why is a player taking his destiny in his own hands bad but you all love when a GM does it?

A GM's job is to form a team within the rules of the NBA salary cap etc. A player's job is to play for the contract he signs. Not sign a contract and then force trades. A player can freely sign wherever he wants when he is a free agent. I don't think collusion should be allowed as a player. Because it disrupts the intent of the NBA rules which hopes for parity and not for all the superstars to just join big market teams and beat everyone else for eternity. Do you prefer a championship like the one Giannis just had, or one where a superstar just calls up his buddies, joins any host team where its possible to arrange the collusion, and then takes a easier path to victory (easier, not easy). In addition, the team has very limited identity, or identity for a very short period of time. The lakers from last year wsa formed in one off season, and had no identity and yet won the championship.

None of this discussion diminishes the basketball quality of Lebron, durant or other serial colluders. it just points out that their superteam championship is less than a championship earned by all aspects of the franchise, scouting, coaching, player development, GM making smart trades and moves, and then winning a championship.
MostValQuitter
Junior
And1: 218

Post#386 » by MostValQuitter » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:03 pm

C3H6N6O6 wrote:
MostValQuitter wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
No championship team is bad, but it wasnt a superteam.

How can a team with one all-star be a superteam?

Both Kevin Love and Irving were allstars the previous year to Lebron joining what is this nonsense.

In fact they had multiple allstars to their name Kevin Love in 2011, 2012, 2014 and Irving in 2013 and 2014 before Lebron joined in 2014-2015.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,833

Post#387 » by nikster » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:03 pm

Stannis wrote:I know Giannis had a much better team than Lebron's Cavs 1.0.

But a lot of that has to do with Giannis putting in more years with the team and committing early. LeBron kinda checked out his final two years and had a fear of commitment, which left the Cavs FO making pretty bad moves.

Not to mention, LeBron choked in his first year with the Mavs and failed in his final year as well.

I still don't blame LeBron leaving though. The damage was already done. Cavs Front Office was making bad moves and they didn't want to give up JJ Hickson in a Amare package. Plus, you add in the Delonte West sleeping with his mother stuff...

But he shouldn't have joined DWade who already had a ring. Chicago would have been a nice destination but maybe he didn't want to try to hard to follow Jordan's footsteps? Maybe the Knicks who Amar'e actually did ok with. But I still don't think they can't it done. Amare's body was a ticking timebomb.

Giannis has only one more year then LeBron's oroignal cavs stint. LeBron had 5 or 6 years as one of the best players in the league, Giannis 3 or 4
WeSkrongDen
Junior

Post#388 » by WeSkrongDen » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:03 pm

C3H6N6O6 wrote:
WeSkrongDen wrote:
C3H6N6O6 wrote:Fact in that sentence is that LeBron was the only all-star on a team that beat a 73-win Warriors team. Irving and Love weren't all-stars.

What are you talking about lol

Irving and Love weren't all-stars in 2016. Don't go into details why that happened please because the whole premise of this thread is to ignore details.

You realize Kyrie has injured and missed a large chunk of the first half right? That has nothing to do with the caliber of player he was or how well he played in the post season. If you miss a bunch of games before the all star and then they ease you back in when you come back, you're not going to be an all star.
C3H6N6O6
Analyst

Post#389 » by C3H6N6O6 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:05 pm

MostValQuitter wrote:
C3H6N6O6 wrote:
MostValQuitter wrote:

Both Kevin Love and Irving were allstars the previous year to Lebron joining what is this nonsense.

they weren't in the year they won. That is a fact. Do details only matter when its LeBron and not when it is Giannis?
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#390 » by Pharmcat » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:05 pm

thelead wrote:
C3H6N6O6 wrote:
thelead wrote:I just said he hasn't been an all-star since 2013 not that he was a scrub. I was just stating a fact that he hasn't been an all-star in nearly a decade now.

If you just want to state facts and don't want to go into details then LeBron's 2016 ring is the greatest of all time as he was the only all-star on his team that season.
Don't try to come up with a reason behind it. It is a fact. No details matter. Only facts.

That is an opinion. Please get a dictionary to learn the difference between facts and opinions.

He beat a 73 win team, who else has beat a 73 win team ?
WeSkrongDen
Junior

Post#391 » by WeSkrongDen » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:06 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Reminds me a lot of the Spurs in terms of talent distribution. No, Jrue and Middleton are not top 10 players, but they are really good and the team has ancillary pieces that fit perfectly.

Giannis = Duncan
Middleton = Manu
Holiday = Parker

I think Holiday > Parker and Manu > Middleton, but it is a really good team and I bet they win at least one more in the next five years.

Holiday is not even close to Manu. Like not even in the same ball park as a player.
WeSkrongDen
Junior

Post#392 » by WeSkrongDen » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:07 pm

C3H6N6O6 wrote:
MostValQuitter wrote:
C3H6N6O6 wrote:How can a team with one all-star be a superteam?

they weren't in the year they won. That is a fact. Do details only matter when its LeBron and not when it is Giannis?

Kyrie missed most of the first half of the season lol. He was coming off knee surgery.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,779

Post#393 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:09 pm

MostValQuitter wrote:
C3H6N6O6 wrote:
MostValQuitter wrote:

Dude, if Love is part of your big 3, you are not a superteam, whats the matter Love was successful statpadder in Minny, he was bar none by far most overrated player at that time. Irving was the only Lebron teammate reminiscent of star, it was just LeBron, immature Irving and a bunch of role players.
C3H6N6O6
Analyst

Post#394 » by C3H6N6O6 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:10 pm

WeSkrongDen wrote:
C3H6N6O6 wrote:
MostValQuitter wrote:

Kyrie missed most of the first half of the season lol. He was coming off knee surgery.

Why does that detail matter but not the injuries during the playoffs this year to stars?
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,333

Post#395 » by Scalabrine » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:11 pm

Soulyss wrote:
GIMME_DATT wrote:he won without a super team

Don't see it everyday

Yeah he didn't have two other all-stars on his... er... wait a minute... It wasn't a super-team sure.. but it wasn't a bunch of scrubs either.

Congrats to Bucks and Buck Fans! What a wonderful year for you and your team.

Neither Middleton or Holiday made the All-Star team this year. The last team to win it all with only one All-Star on their team was Dirks Mavs 10 years ago.
Go Knicks!
twyzted
Sixth Man
And1: 2,182

Post#396 » by twyzted » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:11 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
giannis and 1 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Yeah a super team is a collection of top players on a team. Superteam word was invented wen Durant joined GSW and they had 5 guys that were top tier (Curry, Klay, Iggy, KD, Green).

Superteam has become synonymous with any team now with 3 or more great all-star level players on the same team.

Your confusing the act of a player joining a superteam to one being built by FO. Bucks are a superteam but Giannis didn't join one to form it.

Only superteams in the league this season were Bucks and Brooklyn. Sixers or Lakers would have been if they traded for Lowry. Problem is Nets and Lakers were unhealthy. Bucks were only healthy superteam in the playoffs. Though losing DDV hurt for sure, it didn't impact their 3 all star level players.

wasn’t that word invented when lebron went to miami?

No it wasn't, it used to be called a Big 3 back then, even when LeBron went to Cavs in 14 it was big 3. It was name from Boston putting together Garnett, Pierce and Ray.

It's just a term that seems to have negative connotations, which is wrong IMO. The actual negative part people have issue with is all-star level players joining to form one in FA or forcing a trade. Somehow the concept of superteam has got mixed with the bad feelings of that aspect. That's what Giannis commented on at end game presser. He didn't join a superteam, he stayed and trusted the FO to build one with him. That is harder because you don't have championship building in your control. I do wonder if Giannis stays a Buck if they don't get Jrue though, so there are some semantics to it.

This article is from 2011

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/576201-the-miami-heat-and-nba-super-teams-are-they-bad-for-the-league
Pennebaker wrote:Jordan lacks LeBron's mental toughness.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#397 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:13 pm

WeSkrongDen wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Reminds me a lot of the Spurs in terms of talent distribution. No, Jrue and Middleton are not top 10 players, but they are really good and the team has ancillary pieces that fit perfectly.

Giannis = Duncan
Middleton = Manu
Holiday = Parker

Holiday is not even close to Manu. Like not even in the same ball park as a player.

I didn't compare Holiday and Manu, I compared Holiday and Parker.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,646

Post#398 » by thelead » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:13 pm

C3H6N6O6 wrote:
MostValQuitter wrote:

You're being dense. 'All-stars the year prior' is not the same as 'all-star 8 years ago' and you know it. This is the problem with every argument today. People are too obtuse to understand nuance.
WeSkrongDen
Junior

Post#399 » by WeSkrongDen » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:14 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
MostValQuitter wrote:

Dude, if Love is part of your big 3, you are not a superteam, whats the matter Love was successful statpadder in Minny, he was bar none by far most overrated player at that time. Irving was the only Lebron teammate reminiscent of star, it was just LeBron, immature Irving and a bunch of role players.

Immature Irving was a certified beast. And LeGM was the one who wanted Love lol. He wanted another super team.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,779

Post#400 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:16 pm

WeSkrongDen wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
MostValQuitter wrote:

Immature Irving was a certified beast. And LeGM was the one who wanted Love lol. He wanted another super team.

Team was in win mode and had 2 first overall pick selections who werent part of the timeline. I would argue they could have gotten someone much better than ultimate empty stat Guy that was Love, maybe then it would have been a super team, but hey, it worked out for them, not a super team tho.

Return to The General Board