In the Last 20 Years, Which Champion Would Lose to '21 Bucks?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

In the Last 20 Years, Which Champion Would Lose to '21 Bucks?

'03 Spurs
2%
'04 Pistons
5%
'06 Heat
20%
'07 Spurs
2%
'11 Mavs
15%
'19 Raptors
20%
Nobody
35%

Total votes: 322

bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Re: In the Last 20 Years, Which Champion Would Lose to '21 Bucks? 

Post#141 » by bon » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:50 pm

crows2 wrote:
bon wrote:Maybe 06 Heat because they don't have anyone to matchup defensively.

Who the hell is voting the Raptors though? They already shut them down. It's literally the only team on that list where you don't have to imagine a scenario of them beating the Bucks :lol:

Yep, because Giannis and Middleton were exactly the same players as they were 2 years ago, with no improvement whatsoever. And Holiday wasn't an upgrade over Bledsoe at all.

Giannis improved sure but not to the point where he would average 30+ a game against that Raptors team. Same with Middleton. Miami showed you can still limit Giannis offensively if you have the right personnel/scheme but they just couldn't score the ball themselves. Holiday is a fine upgrade but it's not like he was great offensively in the Finals.
LegendOfSalmons
Senior
And1: 1,202

Post#142 » by LegendOfSalmons » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:51 pm

crows2 wrote:
Lunartic wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:if we struggled with the hawks and suns then what did the 2019 raptors do with the 2019 bucks. our 2021 team is better than our 2019 team and our 2019 team lost in 6 games with a miniscule 4 point margin separating a 6 game series. that series was as close!! alot closer than our series with the hawks and suns were.

nobody is "wrecking" anybody with this two teams. it would be a good series and could go either way

It's a fact that the Bucks struggled to beat the Hawks, the Nets sans Harden/Irving and struggled against the Suns. The Raptors beat the Embiid/Simmons/Butler Sixers as well as the 60 win Giannis Bucks and then played the Curry Warriors. The Raptors unquestionably had one of the most difficult paths to the title in modern history.
The Bucks had a very fortuitous path to victory.

If those teams were to matchup, the Raps would end the Bucks in 5 maybe 6

Alternatively, the Raptors got taken to 6 by an inferior Bucks team. What makes you think they'd handle a stronger Bucks team more easily than they did 2 years ago?

That's an easy answer. Raptors would have home court against this "stronger" Bucks team. In case you didn't notice I quoted stronger because I don't actually believe this Bucks team is better than 2019. They had difficulty dispatching easier teams this year compared to the much tougher East in 2019. I think it would still likely go to 6 games mainly due to improvements by Giannis and Middleton. Let's also not forget the Raptors were coming off a gruelling series with Philly in the previous round and almost beat the Bucks and should have beat them in game 1 in Milwaukee. I also don't think this 2021 version would have beaten Philadelphia.
LegendOfSalmons
Senior
And1: 1,202

Post#143 » by LegendOfSalmons » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:56 pm

crows2 wrote:
LegendOfSalmons wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:Why does 03 Spurs have 3%? I’d back the Bucks everyday of the week. I must be missing something

Talk about an easier finals. Also this isn’t peak Manu as well as young baby Parker and OLD DRob.

03 Spurs
04 Pistons
11 Mavs
06 Heat

Lol Raptors at 25+ %. That team was great no doubt about it.

Bucks are favorites to me in these matchups.

It's mainly Bucks fans voting Raptors trying to convince themselves that their 2021 version is better than their 2019 version. The telling stat is that a large majority feel they wouldn't beat any past champions.

I'm not sure you understand what a majority is, but in this poll the majority of people have voted that they would beat a past champion.

I do understand. Majority perhaps wasn't the right word to use in this case, but you obviously knew what I was getting at. Of the poll options Nobody is heavily favoured compared to the other options.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,962

Post#144 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:01 pm

LegendOfSalmons wrote:
crows2 wrote:
Lunartic wrote:
It's a fact that the Bucks struggled to beat the Hawks, the Nets sans Harden/Irving and struggled against the Suns. The Raptors beat the Embiid/Simmons/Butler Sixers as well as the 60 win Giannis Bucks and then played the Curry Warriors. The Raptors unquestionably had one of the most difficult paths to the title in modern history.

Alternatively, the Raptors got taken to 6 by an inferior Bucks team. What makes you think they'd handle a stronger Bucks team more easily than they did 2 years ago?

That's an easy answer. Raptors would have home court against this "stronger" Bucks team. In case you didn't notice I quoted stronger because I don't actually believe this Bucks team is better than 2019. They had difficulty dispatching easier teams this year compared to the much tougher East in 2019. I think it would still likely go to 6 games mainly due to improvements by Giannis and Middleton. Let's also not forget the Raptors were coming off a gruelling series with Philly in the previous round and almost beat the Bucks and should have beat them in game 1 in Milwaukee. I also don't think this 2021 version would have beaten Philadelphia.

we didnt struggle with anything but adjustments. maybe played with our food early in series would be a better way to put it

--we utterly dominated the heat.
--we were headed to a 2-2 series with brooklyn when kyrie went down but other than a nuclear performance from durant we plowed them 4 out of the last 5 games. and thats as we should have considering the injury situation they had.
--i wont deny we **** up game one against the hawks but after that won 4 out of 5 including total domination the last 2 with giannis out.
--we also backdoor swept the suns after we made some defensive adjustments.

if were guilty of anything its slow adjustments. but once those adjustments were made, in every series we played..... we dominated
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#145 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:07 pm

Lunartic wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Lunartic wrote:The 2019 Raps would wreck the Bucks. They just struggled against the Atlanta Hawks and the Booker Suns.

Kawhi and Co. would beat them in 5.

if we struggled with the hawks and suns then what did the 2019 raptors do with the 2019 bucks. our 2021 team is better than our 2019 team and our 2019 team lost in 6 games with a miniscule 4 point margin separating a 6 game series. that series was as close!! alot closer than our series with the hawks and suns were.

nobody is "wrecking" anybody with this two teams. it would be a good series and could go either way

take away our annoying slow starts and all those teams got their ass kicked. take away the first 2 games of all those series and we went 12-2 when it mattered.

bottom line we did this year what the raps did to us in 2019. the idea you think theres some difference in the quality of these wins is moronic
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,283

Post#146 » by Lunartic » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:09 pm

LegendOfSalmons wrote:
crows2 wrote:
Lunartic wrote:

I agree - other than winning the title this year by playing injured teams or inferior opponents due to injuries, I don't see this bucks team as significantly better than their previous iteration.

Is there any reason to believe that the 2019 Bucks wouldn't have had a similar result in this season's playoffs? Which team is stopping them? The Durant only Nets? The Abysmal almost didn't make the playoffs Heat? The Booker Suns? Chucky Mouse Hawks?

Let's see how the Bucks do this coming season/playoffs - if they are who posters say they are, they should repeat.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant

Post#147 » by Lunartic » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:10 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Lunartic wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:if we struggled with the hawks and suns then what did the 2019 raptors do with the 2019 bucks. our 2021 team is better than our 2019 team and our 2019 team lost in 6 games with a miniscule 4 point margin separating a 6 game series. that series was as close!! alot closer than our series with the hawks and suns were.

take away our annoying slow starts and all those teams got their ass utterly kicked.

we did this year what the raps did to us in 2019. the idea you think theres some difference is moronic

Except the Raps played healthy teams in the East and the Bucks played injured teams. That Sixers team alone would have taken out this years Bucks team.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#148 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:12 pm

Lunartic wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Lunartic wrote:

take away our annoying slow starts and all those teams got their ass utterly kicked.

we did this year what the raps did to us in 2019. the idea you think theres some difference is moronic

Except the Raps played healthy teams in the East and the Bucks played injured teams. That Sixers team alone would have taken out this years Bucks team.

not only were the bucks not healthy either but considering the ass kicking we delivered whats it matter. youre a hater not a basketball mind
Lunartic
Lead Assistant

Post#149 » by Lunartic » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:16 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Lunartic wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:

not only were the bucks not healthy either but considering the ass kicking we delivered whats it matter. youre a hater not a basketball mind

Who wasn't healthy on the Bucks? Giannis clearly wasn't impeded by his injury, he just put up an ATG performance. DiVincenzo? That pales in comparison to injuries to Trae Young, James Harden, Kyrie Irving.

I'm not a "hater" - I was rooting for the Bucks to win all playoffs long.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#150 » by jpengland » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:21 pm

Lunartic wrote:
LegendOfSalmons wrote:
crows2 wrote:

I agree - other than winning the title this year by playing injured teams or inferior opponents due to injuries, I don't see this bucks team as significantly better than their previous iteration.

Is there any reason to believe that the 2019 Bucks wouldn't have had a similar result in this season's playoffs? Which team is stopping them? The Durant only Nets? The Abysmal almost didn't make the playoffs Heat? The Booker Suns? Chucky Mouse Hawks?

Let's see how the Bucks do this coming season/playoffs - if they are who posters say they are, they should repeat.

10 teams have repeated.

Is anybody saying this Bucks team is a top 10 team of all time?
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#151 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:23 pm

Lunartic wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Lunartic wrote:

Who wasn't healthy on the Bucks? Giannis clearly wasn't impeded by his injury, he just put up an ATG performance. DiVincenzo? That pales in comparison to injuries to Trae Young, James Harden, Kyrie Irving.

of course ddv. hes our x factor to shut down guys like kyrie and trae and losing him forced all sorts of whack non ideal defensive assignments in literally every series to try and overcome it. we scored at will. we didnt need his offense. the only thing we struggled with was pick and roll coverage and ddv is a stud at defending that ish. losing him was a MASSIVE loss

bottom line....

demolished the heat 4 straight by massive margins but lose ddv
smacked the nets 4 out of 5 to close the series
smacked the hawks 4 out of 5 to close the series including the last 2 without giannis
demolished the suns 4 straight to close the finals

to say we somehow struggled when we did the exact same thing the raps did to our inferior 2019 team is just plain ignorant. of course youre a hater. what youre suggesting doesnt make a lick of sense
Lunartic
Lead Assistant

Post#152 » by Lunartic » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:49 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Lunartic wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:not only were the bucks not healthy either but considering the ass kicking we delivered whats it matter. youre a hater not a basketball mind

of course ddv. hes our x factor to shut down guys like kyrie and trae and losing him forced all sorts of whack non ideal defensive assignments in literally every series to try and overcome it. we scored at will. we didnt need his offense. the only thing we struggled with was pick and roll coverage and ddv is a stud at defending that ish. losing him was a MASSIVE loss

bottom line....

smacked the hawks 4 out of 5 to close the series including the last 2 without giannis

to say we somehow struggled when we did the exact same thing the raps did to our inferior 2019 team is just plain ignorant. of course youre a hater. what youre suggesting doesnt make a lick of sense

Losing DiVincenzo is not anywhere near comparable to losing Harden/Irving/Trae, regardless how much of a nice role player he is.

My point is, the Raptors beat healthy great teams including the Bucks. The 2021 Bucks beat injured teams. Trying to compare those two teams doesn't make sense if your only evidence is "but they smacked dem!"

Again what's with the "u just a hater" nonsense that people spout. It's so immature.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#153 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:54 pm

Lunartic wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Lunartic wrote:

bottom line....

Losing DiVincenzo is not anywhere near comparable to losing Harden/Irving/Trae, regardless how much of a nice role player he is.

My point is, the Raptors beat healthy great teams including the Bucks. The 2021 Bucks beat injured teams. Trying to compare those two teams doesn't make sense if your only evidence is "but they smacked dem!"

Again what's with the "u just a hater" nonsense that people spout. It's so immature.

losing one of the top defensive guards in the league whose direct matchup would have been harden/irving/trae somehow isnt a comparable loss to actually losing harden/irving/trae.

thats the way a fanboy thinks man. you cant take ddv off and then replace him with patc and a washed pj and not expect a **** show at times and thats exactly what we saw. the game is played on both sides and basically the ONLY thing we really struggled with this postseason was pnr defense and depth. the idea ddv wasnt a massive loss as it relates to both of those is something you need to work on understanding
Lunartic
Lead Assistant

Post#154 » by Lunartic » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:23 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Lunartic wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:

bottom line....

losing one of the top defensive guards in the league whose direct matchup would have been harden/irving/trae somehow isnt a comparable loss to actually losing harden/irving/trae.

Errr, try re-reading what you just wrote. There is no conceivable universe in which losing DiVincenzo is equal to Harden,Irving or Young. Replace him with any of those players and the Bucks would be called a superteam and would likely three-peat.

Holiday
Harden
Middleton
Giannis
Lopez

Is in the running for the GOAT team.

You won't find a single poster on here that wouldn't make that trade every day
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,453

Post#155 » by jkvonny » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:41 pm

bon wrote:Maybe 06 Heat because they don't have anyone to matchup defensively.

Who the hell is voting the Raptors though? They already shut them down. It's literally the only team on that list where you don't have to imagine a scenario of them beating the Bucks :lol:

I'd imagine a handful of Buck fans. Upset about that 2019 ECF.

Hell, it may even be a few of my fellow Spurs fans still butthurt about Kawhi and his uncle forcing a trade out of San Antonio. To a bigger market. Toronto. Or LA
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,936

Post#156 » by Effigy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:18 pm

LegendOfSalmons wrote:
crows2 wrote:
Lunartic wrote:

I don't agree that the East was tougher in 2019 than in 2021. I think it's a lot better now. Also you want to talk about beating easy teams? Toronto got to play Orlando in the first round. I know they were only the 7th seed but my god, that may be the worst playoff team I have ever seen. (Detroit at least had an injured Blake as an excuse) And Toronto still lost a game to them somehow. Milwaukee on the other hand played the Heat in the first round. You know, the defending Eastern conference champions that beat them and Boston last year? And the Bucks SWEPT that team. And that Philly team was nothing special at all. They won 51 games, a full 9 games worse than the Bucks did that year and somehow got a third seed (because the East was hot garbage) In the West, Philly wouldn't have even had home court advantage in the first round with that record. They had the same problems then that they have now, which is that their best 2 players can't play together, and Simmons can't shoot. And yeah, the Bucks are much better now than they were then. Giannis is better. Middleton is MUCH better. They have Holliday now who was big for them in the playoffs.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#157 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:22 pm

Lunartic wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Lunartic wrote:

Errr, try re-reading what you just wrote. There is no conceivable universe in which losing DiVincenzo is equal to Harden,Irving or Young. Replace him with any of those players and the Bucks would be called a superteam and would likely three-peat.

Holiday
Harden
Middleton
Giannis
Lopez

Is in the running for the GOAT team.

You won't find a single poster on here that wouldn't make that trade every day

the point was that we lost the guy who was supposed to guard these supposed goats and you were calling it no big deal.

anyway. never mind. the original point was to discuss your claim that the 2019 raptors would wreck this years bucks. thats dumb. i never should have responded in the first place. your the type thats discsards massive evidence to counter your opinion and focus on a comment or two that could be debateable or taken out of context. waste of anybodys time with you. you should work on that
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,451

Post#158 » by Slim Charlez » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:58 pm

Optms wrote:The 2003 Spurs. Maybe 2007 Spurs too but unlikely.

03 maybe, 07 no chance in hell.
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach

Post#159 » by Slim Charlez » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:00 pm

the 09 and 10 lakers were pretty meh, that wouldve been my choices.
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach

Post#160 » by Slim Charlez » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:03 pm

TheRealKaboom wrote:2004 Pistons. They beat a hobbled Lakers team and were never heard from again.

EDIT: Except on GB.

they made like 10 straight ecf and made the final literally a year after winning it.

Return to The General Board