Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed

Moderators: jamaalstar21, -Sammy-, infinite11285, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid

User avatar
hyper316
RealGM
Posts: 10,249
And1: 5,034
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
   

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#141 » by hyper316 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:11 pm

Pinkyring wrote:Shroeder would want to go to Washington why?


100 million reason
jkvonny
Sophomore
Posts: 185
And1: 116
Joined: Jun 04, 2021
       

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#142 » by jkvonny » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:12 pm

mademan wrote:Wiz should take it and run as fast as they can. LOLakers tho. Does their FO not believe in spacing?

If I was the Wizards I'd fleece the hell out of the Lakers.
LOL

Wiz would be the winners here.
donnieme
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,589
And1: 5,385
Joined: Feb 27, 2012

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#143 » by donnieme » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:19 pm

It doesn't even make sense. Wizards only do this if they're ready to blow it up in which case Beal would be the hot commodity. However Wizards are likely still high on Westbrook after the 2nd half of the season and aren't ready to quit on he and Beal as a duo. This is like thinking the Suns would help the Lakers do a sign and trade. Whoever invented this rumour didn't vet its plausibility.
User avatar
Egg Nog
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,645
And1: 6,795
Joined: Oct 27, 2007
Location: Vancouver

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#144 » by Egg Nog » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:52 pm

If LeBron can win a title playing with in spite of Westbrook it might be the toughest road to a championship ever, regardless of who they play.
SF_Warriors
Head Coach
Posts: 7,030
And1: 3,485
Joined: Jul 12, 2012

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#145 » by SF_Warriors » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:56 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
IgorK wrote:
thebigbird wrote:Why does Rob Pelinka think he’s building a team for 1981 and not 2021? Dude has refused to sign shooters for three years now when everyone knows how great LeBron is with spacing.


Did you watch the Finals? The team with exterior finesse & shooting got beat by a team that trotted out a huge lineup and dominated inside. Lakers bullied teams inside on their way to 2020 title, too.


That's a little disengenious. The Bucks played with 4 shooters on the floor at all times so they didn't lack spacing at all. The reason they dominated inside was not because they are bucking modern trends, they could do it because they had Giannis. Westbrook is not Giannis and his lack of shooting ability as a perimeter player creates challenges for building an offense around him.


Did they play with four shooters at all times though? Tucker averaged 31mpg in the Finals and he attempted one three a game. He is most certainly not a shooter. But what they did have that allowed them to play big was a three point shooting center who can also score inside and wasnt a liability on defense. Those type of guys are still VERY hard to come by even in this era.
User avatar
Harry Garris
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,728
And1: 6,907
Joined: Jul 12, 2017
     

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#146 » by Harry Garris » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:28 pm

SF_Warriors wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:
IgorK wrote:
Did you watch the Finals? The team with exterior finesse & shooting got beat by a team that trotted out a huge lineup and dominated inside. Lakers bullied teams inside on their way to 2020 title, too.


That's a little disengenious. The Bucks played with 4 shooters on the floor at all times so they didn't lack spacing at all. The reason they dominated inside was not because they are bucking modern trends, they could do it because they had Giannis. Westbrook is not Giannis and his lack of shooting ability as a perimeter player creates challenges for building an offense around him.


Did they play with four shooters at all times though? Tucker averaged 31mpg in the Finals and he attempted one three a game. He is most certainly not a shooter. But what they did have that allowed them to play big was a three point shooting center who can also score inside and wasnt a liability on defense. Those type of guys are still VERY hard to come by even in this era.


PJ Tucker counts as a shooter because the Suns guarded him as if he was one. The point of having shooters is not necessarily for them to take a ton of shots, it's to space the floor. The Suns guarded Tucker even when he was just standing in the corner so he was doing his job as a floor spacer even without taking a shot.
Image
Klayforspicy
Head Coach
Posts: 6,146
And1: 6,382
Joined: Nov 05, 2016

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#147 » by Klayforspicy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:36 pm

LakersLegacy wrote:Not THT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He’s going to be soooooooo great

lol Laker fans
User avatar
FreeThrowLine
Pro Prospect
Posts: 851
And1: 1,484
Joined: Jun 12, 2020

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#148 » by FreeThrowLine » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:51 pm

Hopefully this doesn’t happen, even as someone that dislikes Westbrook, I can see that he’s more valuable than those 3 guys
Ugalde
Analyst
Posts: 3,020
And1: 1,998
Joined: Jul 20, 2010
Location: Schenectady, NY
       

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#149 » by Ugalde » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:53 pm

the lakers are going to win this one and everyone who thinks they aren’t are going to look wack
politics
bandwagon NBA fan...sorry
jpengland
Head Coach
Posts: 6,723
And1: 5,779
Joined: Jan 22, 2014
   

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#150 » by jpengland » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:56 pm

Very strange move from the Lakers.

Yes they need guard help. No they don't need Westbrook barrelling into the lane.

If the Wizards can do it and only overpay Schroeder on a two year deal, it's worth it. Kuzma may figure it out and THT is nowhere near the player the Lakers think he is, but a solid prospect.
User avatar
LikeABosh
RealGM
Posts: 17,494
And1: 7,205
Joined: Jun 15, 2011
     

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#151 » by LikeABosh » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:57 pm

jkvonny wrote:
mademan wrote:Wiz should take it and run as fast as they can. LOLakers tho. Does their FO not believe in spacing?

If I was the Wizards I'd fleece the hell out of the Lakers.
LOL

Wiz would be the winners here.


Wait, paying Schroeder a max contract makes you a winner?
LakersLegacy
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,935
And1: 2,609
Joined: Apr 27, 2015
   

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#152 » by LakersLegacy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:02 pm

thebigbird wrote:Why does Rob Pelinka think he’s building a team for 1981 and not 2021? Dude has refused to sign shooters for three years now when everyone knows how great LeBron is with spacing.


When we had Danny Green and Rondo the Lakers won a title. And a defensive glass cleaner like Dwight.

Let’s get a shooter like Danny Green (statistically the best ever at corner 3s) and spread the floor. With AD, Bron and THT as the slashers
60odbye Kobe
mademan
RealGM
Posts: 22,327
And1: 20,515
Joined: Feb 18, 2010

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#153 » by mademan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:03 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:
That's a little disengenious. The Bucks played with 4 shooters on the floor at all times so they didn't lack spacing at all. The reason they dominated inside was not because they are bucking modern trends, they could do it because they had Giannis. Westbrook is not Giannis and his lack of shooting ability as a perimeter player creates challenges for building an offense around him.


Did they play with four shooters at all times though? Tucker averaged 31mpg in the Finals and he attempted one three a game. He is most certainly not a shooter. But what they did have that allowed them to play big was a three point shooting center who can also score inside and wasnt a liability on defense. Those type of guys are still VERY hard to come by even in this era.


PJ Tucker counts as a shooter because the Suns guarded him as if he was one. The point of having shooters is not necessarily for them to take a ton of shots, it's to space the floor. The Suns guarded Tucker even when he was just standing in the corner so he was doing his job as a floor spacer even without taking a shot.


Which is a Suns coaching problem. The Nets looked like a competent even bordering on great defensive team because they conceded open looks to Tucker and Holiday to protect the paint. Even with Giannis putting up 40 and 50 point games, Monty Williams never once said "let's see if Tucker can hurt us from 3". Poor strategy
Bergmaniac
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,616
And1: 6,930
Joined: Jan 08, 2010
 

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#154 » by Bergmaniac » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:05 pm

LakersLegacy wrote:
thebigbird wrote:Why does Rob Pelinka think he’s building a team for 1981 and not 2021? Dude has refused to sign shooters for three years now when everyone knows how great LeBron is with spacing.


When we had Danny Green and Rondo the Lakers won a title. And a defensive glass cleaner like Dwight.

Let’s get a shooter like Danny Green (statistically the best ever at corner 3s) and spread the floor. With AD, Bron and THT as the slashers

What statistics show that Danny Green is the best ever at corner 3s?
donnieme
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,589
And1: 5,385
Joined: Feb 27, 2012

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#155 » by donnieme » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:11 pm

mademan wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
Did they play with four shooters at all times though? Tucker averaged 31mpg in the Finals and he attempted one three a game. He is most certainly not a shooter. But what they did have that allowed them to play big was a three point shooting center who can also score inside and wasnt a liability on defense. Those type of guys are still VERY hard to come by even in this era.


PJ Tucker counts as a shooter because the Suns guarded him as if he was one. The point of having shooters is not necessarily for them to take a ton of shots, it's to space the floor. The Suns guarded Tucker even when he was just standing in the corner so he was doing his job as a floor spacer even without taking a shot.


Which is a Suns coaching problem. The Nets looked like a competent even bordering on great defensive team because they conceded open looks to Tucker and Holiday to protect the paint. Even with Giannis putting up 40 and 50 point games, Monty Williams never once said "let's see if Tucker can hurt us from 3". Poor strategy

He actually did just that in game 5. Even from spliced up highlights you can still see numerous possessions where Tucker is left wide open in the corner.
User avatar
Edrees
RealGM
Posts: 13,908
And1: 8,609
Joined: May 12, 2009
Contact:
         

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#156 » by Edrees » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:16 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
kbitboc wrote:
Edrees wrote:
That doesn't answer the question. If they get bigs who are bad at spacing (which you suggested) their spacing will get worse. if you think spacing is important for Lebron the Lakers need to get bigs who are good at 3 pt shooting and jump shooting, NOT Dwight.

Seems like you have contradicted yourself and and don't know how to admit you are wrong.


If the Lakers really need shooting, then they should go after Marc Gasol.

Image


I agree that Lakers need shooting, I only disagree with the idea that the Lakers need Dwight Howard as it kills our spacing when he's out there. Marc Gasol is a good fit and didn't play nearly enough.
User avatar
Grumpy Heat Fan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,613
And1: 3,347
Joined: Dec 09, 2011
Location: Miami, Florida
     

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#157 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:35 pm

"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
JB2
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,359
And1: 4,832
Joined: Mar 10, 2009

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#158 » by JB2 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:19 pm

jpengland wrote:Very strange move from the Lakers.

Yes they need guard help. No they don't need Westbrook barrelling into the lane.

If the Wizards can do it and only overpay Schroeder on a two year deal, it's worth it. Kuzma may figure it out and THT is nowhere near the player the Lakers think he is, but a solid prospect.


As someone who's watched damn near every Lakers game, I think your suggestion is well received in terms of needing more shooting but all the barreling in the paint, as you called it, is also a huge need for LA. LeBron is declining. It's obvious. Still has speed? Yea. Can jump? Yup. Insane strength? Of course. But his ability to blow by guys to get into the paint and draw all kinds of attention leading to easy dunks, open 3's, kick outs, etc is greatly diminished. Adding Westbrook would make life so much easier on AD and I think once he and LeBron figure out how to play off of each other, it could be stellar. It could also backfire.. like any big addition could.. but I think these guys all wants rings and sacrifices would be made all around.

As fare as shooting. It's not like 15 guys on your roster have to be elite shooters. Just surround those 3 with a few snipers and your good. KCP and Gasol can shoot. Caruso is sketchy from 3 but he seems like he's working on it. Bring back Kief and Ben McLemore. Sign Melo and Ellington to minimums and then use the mMLE on a guy who can knock down 3's at a consistent clip.
User avatar
Grumpy Heat Fan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,613
And1: 3,347
Joined: Dec 09, 2011
Location: Miami, Florida
     

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#159 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:24 pm

I will laugh my ass off when lebron calls for the ball and westbrook waves him off and points for him to go stand in a corner like WB used to do to Kevin Durant on the Thunder.

And who is going to be the 3rd option, the 3rd banana?

Westbrook? LOLOL i would love to see the fighting for the ball between westbrook and lebron on the court.

So is Anthony Davis going to go from franchise player to 3rd option and be turned into Kevin Love and Chris Bosh???


or is Lebron going to sit back and watch Westbrook or AD win the accolades and have it be their team instead?


i hope this trade goes through. Westbrook will NOT be manipulated by Lebron. He is going to get his stats and touches, and lebron can decide how far he wants to escalate the situation lmao.
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
User avatar
LikeABosh
RealGM
Posts: 17,494
And1: 7,205
Joined: Jun 15, 2011
     

Re: Framework of Kuzma, THT and Schroeder for Westbrook being discussed 

Post#160 » by LikeABosh » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:26 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:
LakersLegacy wrote:
thebigbird wrote:Why does Rob Pelinka think he’s building a team for 1981 and not 2021? Dude has refused to sign shooters for three years now when everyone knows how great LeBron is with spacing.


When we had Danny Green and Rondo the Lakers won a title. And a defensive glass cleaner like Dwight.

Let’s get a shooter like Danny Green (statistically the best ever at corner 3s) and spread the floor. With AD, Bron and THT as the slashers

What statistics show that Danny Green is the best ever at corner 3s?


If I had to guess, corner 3 pt percentage

Return to The General Board