Monty Williams - GOAT Person

Moderators: jamaalstar21, -Sammy-, infinite11285, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid

othawhitemeat
Starter
Posts: 2,251
And1: 606
Joined: May 14, 2004

Monty Williams - GOAT Person 

Post#1 » by othawhitemeat » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:13 pm

Hey all, Bulls fan (I know we aren't very good). I'm just saying this in general to preface how much I love the NBA, but if Monty Williams was a supervisor, coach, anything of mine, I would run through a brick wall for that dude. There are so many great stories of him, but saw he visited the Bucks locker room to say congrats in defeat. Great dude.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/suns-head-coach-monty-williams-050525241.html
User avatar
Harry Garris
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,728
And1: 6,907
Joined: Jul 12, 2017
     

Re: Monty Williams - GOAT Person 

Post#2 » by Harry Garris » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:17 pm

He's spoken about how his wife tragically passing in a car accident helped him gain a lot of perspective and place as much value as he does on people. Going through a traumatic experience like that can either shape a person or cause them to fall apart. Monty Williams is the best possible example of how to make it through tragedy and out the other side
Image
User avatar
GSWFan1994
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,258
And1: 1,675
Joined: Oct 31, 2006
 

Re: Monty Williams - GOAT Person 

Post#3 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:25 pm

KodiakBear
Senior
Posts: 552
And1: 702
Joined: Sep 23, 2020
   

Re: Monty Williams - GOAT Person 

Post#4 » by KodiakBear » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:27 pm

I'm not religious, but he is the type of religious person I respect. Unlike you know Mark Jackson.
User avatar
Broke_Pippen
Junior
Posts: 301
And1: 183
Joined: Jul 28, 2010
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL
     

Re: Monty Williams - GOAT Person 

Post#5 » by Broke_Pippen » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:47 pm

Monty is an excellent human being. Sad what happened to him and his family and I hope he gets a championship soon.
Darain wrote:Dude is like 6-10, 6-12 at the most

But he is definitely not 7 foot
JN61
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,790
And1: 4,592
Joined: Jan 07, 2018
 

Re: Monty Williams - GOAT Person 

Post#6 » by JN61 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:50 pm

KodiakBear wrote:I'm not religious, but he is the type of religious person I respect. Unlike you know Mark Jackson.

As some people might say: Amen to that.
User avatar
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,945
And1: 2,843
Joined: Jan 31, 2015
Location: The Sonoran
         

Re: Monty Williams - GOAT Person 

Post#7 » by saintEscaton » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:29 pm

Great guy, great coach. We will be back! This too shall pass!
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

Image
User avatar
Edrees
RealGM
Posts: 13,908
And1: 8,609
Joined: May 12, 2009
Contact:
         

Re: Monty Williams - GOAT Person 

Post#8 » by Edrees » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:30 pm

What a total class act
User avatar
Lunartic
Analyst
Posts: 3,535
And1: 5,198
Joined: Nov 28, 2015

Re: Monty Williams - GOAT Person 

Post#9 » by Lunartic » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:51 pm

It's a nice show of sportsmanship but can we stop with the over the top congratulating a grown man for doing something players and coaches have done all the time?

"omg he's like the greatest person ever!"
"he's truly a saint "
"goat human being!"
etc

Stop it. It's so infantile. Congratulating the winning team for their win and giving them props is nice but it doesn't determine whether he's a good person or not. Just like star players walking off the court and not shaking hands doesn't determine if they are a bad person.
rtiff68
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,640
And1: 2,016
Joined: May 25, 2019

Re: Monty Williams - GOAT Person 

Post#10 » by rtiff68 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:53 pm

Lunartic wrote:It's a nice show of sportsmanship but can we stop with the over the top congratulating a grown man for doing something players and coaches have done all the time?

"omg he's like the greatest person ever!"
"he's truly a saint "
"goat human being!"
etc

Stop it. It's so infantile. Congratulating the winning team for their win and giving them props is nice but it doesn't determine whether he's a good person or not. Just like star players walking off the court and not shaking hands doesn't determine if they are a bad person.


It’s not just that action, it’s everything he’s gone through and how he’s come through it.

I went through a divorce with no kids and it kicked my ass…still is kicking my ass, really.

I can’t imagine losing someone like that in a violent accident like that with a handful of young kids and presenting himself the way he does.
Bird4Three
Senior
Posts: 685
And1: 978
Joined: Dec 23, 2008
         

Re: Monty Williams - GOAT Person 

Post#11 » by Bird4Three » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:14 pm

It’s kinda funny, I met Monty during his rookie season with the Knicks. I asked him for an autograph, and handed him a card and a Sharpie. I forgot to take the cap off the Sharpie, and he kinda made a grunt and said “Man, you couldn’t take the cap off?”….I always thought of him as a jerk after that interaction, but just goes to show you can’t judge someone on a single fleeting moment many years ago. Unless he’s still a jerk when the cameras aren’t on him.
User avatar
pavementplmokn
Junior
Posts: 250
And1: 134
Joined: Oct 28, 2010
Location: Chicago

Re: Monty Williams - GOAT Person 

Post#12 » by pavementplmokn » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:44 pm

Bird4Three wrote:It’s kinda funny, I met Monty during his rookie season with the Knicks. I asked him for an autograph, and handed him a card and a Sharpie. I forgot to take the cap off the Sharpie, and he kinda made a grunt and said “Man, you couldn’t take the cap off?”….I always thought of him as a jerk after that interaction, but just goes to show you can’t judge someone on a single fleeting moment many years ago. Unless he’s still a jerk when the cameras aren’t on him.


Funny enough, if I remember his story well enough, that fits perfectly with his own description of his path.

I believe it wasn't until mid-playing career or so that he began to re-focus on God and his wife and kind of became the man that everyone respects so much today.

By his own admission, he was struggling with some selfishness and arrogance during his college and early NBA career.

Return to The General Board