Fictional basketball: Where would Greg Popovich be if he got Ron Mercer instead of Tim Duncan in 1997

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Re: Fictional basketball: Where would Greg Popovich be if he got Ron Mercer instead of Tim Duncan in 1997 

Post#81 » by Big J » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:40 pm

TheRealKaboom wrote:Fired. The way he's treated sideline reporters throughout his career is gross. Can only imagine how he treats subordinates, co-workers, and family members. He's an awful person.

Seriously? Reporters who ask idiotic questions deserve to get roasted. Pop is a great dude. He's very pro social justice. He's spoken out numerous times in favor of some important causes.
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Re: Fictional basketball: Where would Greg Popovich be if he got Ron Mercer instead of Tim Duncan in 1997 

Post#82 » by TheRealKaboom » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:15 pm

Big J wrote:
TheRealKaboom wrote:Fired. The way he's treated sideline reporters throughout his career is gross. Can only imagine how he treats subordinates, co-workers, and family members. He's an awful person.

Seriously? Reporters who ask idiotic questions deserve to get roasted. Pop is a great dude. He's very pro social justice. He's spoken out numerous times in favor of some important causes.

We've all spoken out on important causes. But most of us would never publicly embarrass other human beings on a global scale, which is what Popovich loved to do. He relished treating people like trash who were just doing their jobs.

There's a reason he was fired so many times from so many jobs.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,975

Post#83 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:30 pm

Big J wrote:

You can be both. I've heard stories of incredible generosity, including him picking up a stranded family on the side of the road, taking them to a dealership and buying them a new car, and paying off a secretary's mortgage as a retirement gift. He's also done a ton of really good and necessary volunteer work with the San Antonio food bank, in addition to all the aforementioned speaking out he's done in favor of SJ issues, something I support 110 percent.

I've also heard stories of almost unbelievable pettiness, including freaking out over a video coordinator (Will Hardy, now a full assistant) who couldn't get the equipment to work in a meeting, throwing the remote against the wall so it shattered into a million pieces and berating him for 10 minutes in front of the entire staff. In addition to any number of instances I've personally seen him be an abject dick to media for no other reason than because he could.

Yeah, a 22-year-old intern from the local TV station asked you a dumb question. So the F what? Grow up and blow it off in a professional manner like almost every other coach in the league would instead of making him feel like crap in a room full of people.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,148

Post#84 » by Capn'O » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:47 pm

So here's a question. Why Ron Mercer and not Mercer AND Billups? Or at least Billups, who Boston picked with their own draft selection? Or maybe, as a team with a great drafting acumen, they pick McGrady.

It's one of those questions you never get an answer to. He put the team in the tank, did get Duncan, and then presided over a front office that was able to get Parker and Ginobili on the cheap in the draft. He groomed great players with a personality fit that was perfect. He did pretty well without Duncan in 16-17. Since Kawhi left, they haven't had a ton of talent and Pop has gotten long in the tooth.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Big J
General Manager

Post#85 » by Big J » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:54 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Big J wrote:

You can be both. I've heard stories of incredible generosity, including him picking up a stranded family on the side of the road, taking them to a dealership and buying them a new car, and paying off a secretary's mortgage as a retirement gift. He's also done a ton of really good and necessary volunteer work with the San Antonio food bank, in addition to all the aforementioned speaking out he's done in favor of SJ issues, something I support 110 percent.

I've also heard stories of almost unbelievable pettiness, including freaking out over a video coordinator (Will Hardy, now a full assistant) who couldn't get the equipment to work in a meeting, throwing the remote against the wall so it shattered into a million pieces and berating him for 10 minutes in front of the entire staff. In addition to any number of instances I've personally seen him be an abject dick to media for no other reason than because he could.

Yeah, a 22-year-old intern from the local TV station asked you a dumb question. So the F what? Grow up and blow it off in a professional manner like almost every other coach in the league would instead of making him feel like crap in a room full of people.

He’s never done anything illegal/homophobic/racist/sexist from what I’ve seen, so technically he’s within his rights to go off on people. I’d suggest that people be less sensitive if they feel like crap about a few words.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#86 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:56 am

Big J wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Big J wrote:

He’s never done anything illegal/homophobic/racist/sexist from what I’ve seen, so technically he’s within his rights to go off on people. I’d suggest that people be less sensitive if they feel like crap about a few words.

This is a horsesht attitude. If you're going to give somebody credit for the exceedingly low bar of not being homophobic/racist/sexist, it shouldn't be that much of a stretch to expect somebody to behave professionally in a professional environment. Fortunately we're coming around on this as a society and this will be less and less tolerated as we move forward.
Big J
General Manager

Post#87 » by Big J » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:29 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Big J wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

This is a horsesht attitude. If you're going to give somebody credit for the exceedingly low bar of not being homophobic/racist/sexist, it shouldn't be that much of a stretch to expect somebody to behave professionally in a professional environment. Fortunately we're coming around on this as a society and this will be less and less tolerated as we move forward.

Are you sure about that? Did you see the man who was running our country for the past 4 years? Pop looks like a saint compared to him.
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Post#88 » by TheRealKaboom » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:29 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Big J wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

Agreed: horrible, horrible attitude. It's like arguing that just because he never murdered anyone he has the right to treat people around him like garbage.

He's the garbage. The only good thing is that the real trash, Popovich, will be thrown out and discarded soon.
Big J
General Manager

Post#89 » by Big J » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:54 pm

TheRealKaboom wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Big J wrote:

Agreed: horrible, horrible attitude. It's like arguing that just because he never murdered anyone he has the right to treat people around him like garbage.

He's the garbage. The only good thing is that the real trash, Popovich, will be thrown out and discarded soon.

By calling another human being trash aren’t you just as bad as him?
TheShow2021
Junior
And1: 532

Post#90 » by TheShow2021 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:55 pm

Watch tape when Pop started coaching and take a look how bad their offensive system was.

Duncan and Admiral carried him while he was a new, bad coach and then he evolved into a good coach.

But he's still the most overrated coach in NBA history, despite being a good coach.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,081

Post#91 » by sisibilio » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:57 pm

Coaching in the Budweiser league
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
DoctorX
Veteran
And1: 3,510

Post#92 » by DoctorX » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:51 pm

TheShow2021 wrote:Watch tape when Pop started coaching and take a look how bad their offensive system was.

Duncan and Admiral carried him while he was a new, bad coach and then he evolved into a good coach.

But he's still the most overrated coach in NBA history, despite being a good coach.

Agreed. The Spurs ran the offense 4 man down from the lockout season of '99 until '04. The offense was have Duncan post up on the block and throw the ball to Duncan and just get the hell out of the way.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,679

Post#93 » by G R E Y » Sat Aug 7, 2021 10:29 am

lol
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,679

Post#94 » by G R E Y » Sat Aug 7, 2021 10:55 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Big J wrote:

I've also heard stories of almost unbelievable pettiness, including freaking out over a video coordinator (Will Hardy, now a full assistant) who couldn't get the equipment to work in a meeting, throwing the remote against the wall so it shattered into a million pieces and berating him for 10 minutes in front of the entire staff.In addition to any number of instances I've personally seen him be an abject dick to media for no other reason than because he could.

Curious if you have a follow up anecdote about how they worked through it? I happen to have it on good authority that Pop also works to make things right, in this case with those who work or worked there. Will as you know was with the Spurs for 10 years starting as an intern through video coordinator to player development, second bench, first bench, etc. This is one instance in a continuum that when isolated leaves a spotlight impression without everything else that came after. That's not to excuse it. Pop knows how he is. But also because of that, works with people to get to the other side of it. That should get some space and consideration, too, as it's not all one way or another. There are many instances besides going berserk or being super generous (buying an intern a new car) in between that make up the totality. But these sorts of outbursts without follow up can distort an impression.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#95 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Aug 7, 2021 5:19 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Big J wrote:

I've also heard stories of almost unbelievable pettiness, including freaking out over a video coordinator (Will Hardy, now a full assistant) who couldn't get the equipment to work in a meeting, throwing the remote against the wall so it shattered into a million pieces and berating him for 10 minutes in front of the entire staff.In addition to any number of instances I've personally seen him be an abject dick to media for no other reason than because he could.

Curious if you have a follow up anecdote about how they worked through it? I happen to have it on good authority that Pop also works to make things right, in this case with those who work or worked there. Will as you know was with the Spurs for 10 years starting as an intern through video coordinator to player development, second bench, first bench, etc. This is one instance in a continuum that when isolated leaves a spotlight impression without everything else that came after. That's not to excuse it. Pop knows how he is. But also because of that, works with people to get to the other side of it. That should get some space and consideration, too, as it's not all one way or another. There are many instances besides going berserk or being super generous (buying an intern a new car) in between that make up the totality. But these sorts of outbursts without follow up can distort an impression.

Which is why I lead with several examples of his generosity, to be sure I wasn't being unfair or one-sided. In the case of young Hardy, I do not have any idea what became of this incident. The fact that Popovich has continued to promote and groom him into being a potential future head coach, as well as all the interpersonal moments that have undoubtedly taken place along the way, have very probably made up for it 1,000,000 times over. The person who relayed that story indicated Popovich is great 80 percent of the time, and the other 20 you just have to figure out how to deal with. That's just their opinion, but it rings true with how rarely you hear anybody who's been with the organization say anything negative. I would say without hesitation that he is generally beloved within their ranks.

As somebody who was not with the organization, and did not have those opportunities to build a personal relationship or experience life-changing bonding moments like winning a championship, or even just going through an NBA season together, I will always have a different perspective. I have a ton of respect for him overall, but that respect is significantly diminished with the way I personally saw him treat people. Granted, they were mostly all reporters, who are the equivalent of gum on the bottom of a shoe to many coaches/athletes. And even then, he was about as good as it got when he felt like it, easily one of the most intelligent and insightful people I've ever run into. But in too many other instances he was about as unfair, unprofessional and unnecessary as anybody I ever dealt with in 20 years as a sportswriter.

Return to The General Board