OT: Lionel Messi leaving Barcelona (Update: Signs with PSG)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

HabsAndDubs
Senior
And1: 489

Re: OT: Lionel Messi leaving Barcelona 

Post#41 » by HabsAndDubs » Thu Aug 5, 2021 9:35 pm

azcatz11 wrote:I’m not a soccer fan but any chance he comes to MLS if a team offers him a ridiculous contract?

The contract that was just voided was supposed to be a 10 year deal where it would be like, 2 years in Barcelona, two more in the MLS (probably Miami), then 6 years in a “non playing role”, and if some other team does sign him, he’ll probably want the same. Don’t expect Messi to play in the MLS next year, but I’m almost certain that we can expect him to come over here for a few years when he’s not quite in that top tier of players in Europe anymore. He’ll follow the footsteps of Imbrahimovic, or Schweinstager or Drogba.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#42 » by BadWolf » Thu Aug 5, 2021 9:40 pm

HabsAndDubs wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:I’m not a soccer fan but any chance he comes to MLS if a team offers him a ridiculous contract?

The contract that was just voided was supposed to be a 10 year deal where it would be like, 2 years in Barcelona, two more in the MLS (probably Miami), then 6 years in a “non playing role”, and if some other team does sign him, he’ll probably want the same. Don’t expect Messi to play in the MLS next year, but I’m almost certain that we can expect him to come over here for a few years when he’s not quite in that top tier of players in Europe anymore. He’ll follow the footsteps of Imbrahimovic, or Schweinstager or Drogba.

No idea why, but yeah, that was the plan.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,991

Post#43 » by Wallace_Wallace » Thu Aug 5, 2021 9:41 pm

It’d be cool to watch him go to Juventus. Messi and Ronaldo would be so box office I might fly to Italy to watch them play once
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,451

Post#44 » by Slim Charlez » Thu Aug 5, 2021 9:41 pm

[instagram][/instagram]
gst8 wrote:
Slim Charlez wrote:that's what happens when you pay so much money for guys like Griezmann and Coutinho. Barcelona are in for a long barren spell considering their financial struggles and their current roster.

A big part of those financial struggles were due to paying Leo Messi though. It’s still Barcelona. They’ll sell off a couple of players, reset, and buy a new crop. They won’t be down long.

Messi brought them a **** ton of money in endorsements though, which is why they didn't sell him last season when they could've gotten a nice 100 million euros from Man City, the guy was earning a fortune in wages which he offset with the endorsements money he brought into the club. The problem with them selling players is that most of the team is on outrageously high wages which other clubs won't come near. The really shot themselves in the foot the last few years.
SecondTake
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Re: OT: Messi leaving Barcelona 

Post#45 » by SecondTake » Thu Aug 5, 2021 9:44 pm

John Murdoch wrote:
clyde21 wrote:what a legendary run. GOAT player by far.

Fixed
Ronaldo is substantially better. And btw it's been against the rules to change people's quotes

Sent from my SM-G950W using RealGM mobile app
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,705

Post#46 » by Yallbecrazy » Thu Aug 5, 2021 9:46 pm

Messi to Scun thorpe United

The team name is censored on here without the space.
alevirfe
Starter
And1: 1,683

Post#47 » by alevirfe » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:08 pm

SecondTake wrote:
John Murdoch wrote:

Fixed
Ronaldo is substantially better. And btw it's been against the rules to change people's quotes

how so? the stats don't back that up
mintsa wrote: Yeah….the “new car smell” is starting to wear off with Scottie.

bongmarley wrote:I thought he was supposed to be an elite defender. He is horrible. On the perimeter he gets blown by everytime Its really bad
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,257

Post#48 » by heezyo2o » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:15 pm

I don't follow the sport. Is Messi still at the top of his game?
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#49 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:17 pm

kickball player right?

That's pretty off topic. :P
DFolks
Veteran
And1: 208

Post#50 » by DFolks » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:25 pm

Any chance Messi signs with a Bundesliga team? Lewandowski, Muller, and Messi would be a lethal front court with Bayern Munich..
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,316

Post#51 » by TheHartBreakKid » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:46 pm

heezyo2o wrote:I don't follow the sport. Is Messi still at the top of his game?

He is still the best player in the world. He is most likely going to get his 7th Ballon d'Or later this year (think of it as the soccer version of the MVP)
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#52 » by Pharmcat » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:49 pm

SecondTake wrote:
John Murdoch wrote:

Fixed

How is penaldo better than him :lol:
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager

Post#53 » by TheHartBreakKid » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:54 pm

Pharmcat wrote:
SecondTake wrote:
John Murdoch wrote:
Fixed

How is penaldo better than him :lol:

Not just better, but substantially better :lol:
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,957

Post#54 » by Shock Defeat » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:55 pm

PSG and Man City are the only clubs I can see going for it. Those clubs have unlimited money it seems. If I were Man City I would do it. They have the potential of surpassing Man Utd as a brand. In the last decade man city has dominated man utd and this move would put them on the global map even greater.
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,227

Post#55 » by Tracymcgoaty » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:55 pm

Either PSG or City. City of Barcelona is going to burn if this doesn't get resolved by 31 august.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,227

Post#56 » by Tracymcgoaty » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:55 pm

TheHartBreakKid wrote:
heezyo2o wrote:I don't follow the sport. Is Messi still at the top of his game?

He is still the best player in the world. He is most likely going to get his 7th Ballon d'Or later this year (think of it as the soccer version of the MVP)

THE GOAT!
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
Anti Chalmers
Analyst
And1: 2,858

Post#57 » by Anti Chalmers » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:25 pm

This is truly shocking. Never thought he would play on another team.
LAvision
Sixth Man
And1: 4,248

Post#58 » by LAvision » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:29 pm

Already in talks with PSG. This is wild.
twyzted
Sixth Man
And1: 2,182

Post#59 » by twyzted » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:30 pm

Sgt Major wrote:He's a prick. Del Piero, Nedved, Trezeguet, Camoranesi and Buffon stayed in Juventus even when the club was sent to Seria B, yet Messi is looking for more money than the club heavily hit by Covid can give him, the same club that basically paid his therapy when he was a kid and saved his career.

I'm not surprised, never liked the guy.

He accepted lower wages they simply cant sign him because of there financial situation. I doubt he could be signed even if he got paid 10k per month.

Barca few days ago said that only 15% of there financial situation was because of covid rest is on previous president.
Pennebaker wrote:Jordan lacks LeBron's mental toughness.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager

Post#60 » by TheHartBreakKid » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:32 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:PSG and Man City are the only clubs I can see going for it. Those clubs have unlimited money it seems. If I were Man City I would do it. They have the potential of surpassing Man Utd as a brand. In the last decade man city has dominated man utd and this move would put them on the global map even greater.

City just signed Grealish for close to 120mil. I know they have nearly unlimited bank, but could they actually afford Messi's wages?
I'm genuinely asking. Neymar Mbappe Messi would arguably be the GOAT front line.

Return to The General Board