OT: Lionel Messi leaving Barcelona (Update: Signs with PSG)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

twyzted
Sixth Man
And1: 2,182

Re: OT: Lionel Messi leaving Barcelona 

Post#61 » by twyzted » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:39 pm

siFy wrote:
macNcheese3 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:I’m not a soccer fan but any chance he comes to MLS if a team offers him a ridiculous contract?

I think hes got too much left in the tank to come to the MLS, currently.

You guys don't know how was his next contract with Barcelona to try to scam the system?. The two first seasons of the contract he was going to play for Barcelona and after that he was going to play in USA with Barcelona still paying him. He left because Messi has to pay the taxes of all the contract in Spain and for La Liga and tax authorities that's illegal. Well and first of all because Barcelona has a lot of millions of debt and they can't sign him in La Liga until they have the accounts healthy again

He is a washed player since like 2-3 years ago

102 games 91 goals 47 assists for the last 3 season is insane not even close to washed and will win ballon dor.
Pennebaker wrote:Jordan lacks LeBron's mental toughness.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,190

Re: OT: Messi leaving Barcelona 

Post#62 » by skones » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:45 pm

SecondTake wrote:
John Murdoch wrote:
clyde21 wrote:what a legendary run. GOAT player by far.

Fixed
Ronaldo is substantially better. And btw it's been against the rules to change people's quotes

Sent from my SM-G950W using RealGM mobile app

gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,140

Post#63 » by gp2015 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:47 pm

Slim Charlez wrote:that's what happens when you pay so much money for guys like Griezmann and Coutinho. Barcelona are in for a long barren spell considering their financial struggles and their current roster.

And Dembele.

What a massive waste of money for all those guys who are either overpaid or injury prone.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
twyzted
Sixth Man

Post#64 » by twyzted » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:51 pm

TheHartBreakKid wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:PSG and Man City are the only clubs I can see going for it. Those clubs have unlimited money it seems. If I were Man City I would do it. They have the potential of surpassing Man Utd as a brand. In the last decade man city has dominated man utd and this move would put them on the global map even greater.

City just signed Grealish for close to 120mil. I know they have nearly unlimited bank, but could they actually afford Messi's wages?
I'm genuinely asking. Neymar Mbappe Messi would arguably be the GOAT front line.

They could easily cover his wages but would break financial fair play rules not that those rules are upheld.
The owner of city is a prince in abu dhabi who have pilles of money.

I would guess Psg since on that picture is all psg player outside of messi and was posted 2 days ago
gp2015
RealGM

Post#65 » by gp2015 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:54 pm

twyzted wrote:
TheHartBreakKid wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:PSG and Man City are the only clubs I can see going for it. Those clubs have unlimited money it seems. If I were Man City I would do it. They have the potential of surpassing Man Utd as a brand. In the last decade man city has dominated man utd and this move would put them on the global map even greater.

City just signed Grealish for close to 120mil. I know they have nearly unlimited bank, but could they actually afford Messi's wages?
I'm genuinely asking. Neymar Mbappe Messi would arguably be the GOAT front line.

They could easily cover his wages but would break financial fair play rules not that those rules are upheld.

I would guess Psg since on that picture is all psg player outside of messi and was posted 2 days ago

He seems to be close to Neymar and there are other guys on PSG that are from Argentina as well (Di Maria, Paredes).

I don't think he has anything left to win and he'll want to play with his friends.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
twyzted
Sixth Man

Post#66 » by twyzted » Fri Aug 6, 2021 12:10 am

gp2015 wrote:
twyzted wrote:
TheHartBreakKid wrote:

He seems to be close to Neymar and there are other guys on PSG that are from Argentina as well (Di Maria, Paredes).

I don't think he has anything left to win and he'll want to play with his friends.

Well there seems to be negotiations going on with psg already so i think Psg is the likely destination.
Also ligue1 would be smart to allow him to sign because it will improve the profile of the league considerably.
gp2015
RealGM

Post#67 » by gp2015 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 12:17 am

twyzted wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
twyzted wrote:

Well there seems to be negotiations going on with psg already so i think Psg is the likely destination.
Also ligue1 would be smart to allow him to sign because it will improve the profile of the league considerably.

The problem is PSG is already known as the powerhouse that throws money at the biggest names in soccer while all the other teams fight for the scraps. That won't change much with the signing of Messi, it will just increase PSG's gap over the others.

The overall quality of the other teams need to be improved.
twyzted
Sixth Man

Post#68 » by twyzted » Fri Aug 6, 2021 12:17 am

I saw a report that barca cant register any of the new signings depay, aguero etc because of their financial situation. And no they are not in this because of Messi or covid, the last president was an idiot over spending on signings and wages. While Messi was on ridiculous wages he brought a lot of money into the club.
twyzted
Sixth Man

Post#69 » by twyzted » Fri Aug 6, 2021 12:22 am

gp2015 wrote:
twyzted wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

The problem is PSG is already known as the powerhouse that throws money at the biggest names in soccer while all the other teams fight for the scraps. That won't change much with the signing of Messi.

I think that Messi will bring in a lot more audience in terms of tv viewing plus every stadium will sell out when Psg comes to visit. Messi has so much more apeal then neymar and mbappe. So if he plays there for a few years teams will get more money and the league will benefit.
gp2015
RealGM

Post#70 » by gp2015 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 12:27 am

twyzted wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
twyzted wrote:

The problem is PSG is already known as the powerhouse that throws money at the biggest names in soccer while all the other teams fight for the scraps. That won't change much with the signing of Messi.

I think that Messi will bring in a lot more audience in terms of tv viewing plus every stadium will sell out when Psg comes to visit. Messi has so much more apeal then neymar and mbappe. So if he plays there for a few years teams will get more money and the league will benefit.

Perhaps but I think PSG already have two of the 4 most famous football players in the world in Neymar and Mbappe and the overall view of Ligue 1 hasn't changed too much since they were acquired.

Once there is more competition in the league, people will be more interested in tuning in. Until then, it will just be PSG steam rolling over the entire league.

Perhaps Messi will be the catalyst.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#71 » by Pharmcat » Fri Aug 6, 2021 12:35 am

gp2015 wrote:
twyzted wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

Perhaps but I think PSG already have two of the 4 most famous football players in the world in Neymar and Mbappe and the overall view of Ligue 1 hasn't changed too much since they were acquired.

Once there is more competition in the league, people will be more interested in tuning in. Until then, it will just be PSG steam rolling over the entire league.

Messi on psg is just insane. No one in Ligue 1 would stand any chance. Club football really needs a better fair play rule
gp2015
RealGM

Post#72 » by gp2015 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 12:39 am

Pharmcat wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
twyzted wrote:

Messi on psg is just insane. No one in Ligue 1 would stand any chance. Club football really needs a better fair play rule

Perhaps it will get so bad (with Messi) that the League will have to step in and do something about the lack of competition.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#73 » by Marty McFly » Fri Aug 6, 2021 12:47 am

only comparable to mike retiring in '98...
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,975

Post#74 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 12:51 am

Money Talks , same way Brooklyn surpass Knicks with the exception Knicks didn’t dominated **** compared to Man United
twyzted
Sixth Man

Post#75 » by twyzted » Fri Aug 6, 2021 1:50 am

gp2015 wrote:
twyzted wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

Thing is Messi is on another level in terms of how famous he is Jordan, muhammad ali, Maradona, Pele, Cr7 level famous. Nike even didnt mind losing Neymar to puma. He and mbappe with all respect to them are not even close to as liked as Messi.

The only time ive seen someone talking badly about Messi is on this site.

Ofcourse i might be wrong and ligue1 does not gain anything from this.
twyzted
Sixth Man

Post#76 » by twyzted » Fri Aug 6, 2021 1:57 am

Pharmcat wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
twyzted wrote:

Football absolutly needs better fair play rules. I like how they do it in germany were the clubs are owned by the fans. Well most of them outside of Rb leipzig and hoffenheim who are hated by other clubs fanbases.

I hate this rich guy buys club pumps money into it to win titles.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#77 » by andyhop » Fri Aug 6, 2021 2:10 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:I’m not a soccer fan but any chance he comes to MLS if a team offers him a ridiculous contract?

No MLS team can offer the type of money that a club like PSG (Paris) or Manchester City will throw at him. He still might come over (States) in a few years. But he's still very good. Even at age 34.

PSG will likely sign him to a massive deal.

Given City own a MLS club they could certainly pay him if they wanted to.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
jerok
Junior
And1: 588

Post#78 » by jerok » Fri Aug 6, 2021 2:38 am

peja_the_legend wrote:He'll go to PSG and Mbappe will still complain about the team not being strong enough for the CL.

he should lay low for a while for missing that penalty
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,234

Post#79 » by Tracymcgoaty » Fri Aug 6, 2021 2:52 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:kickball player right?

That's pretty off topic. :P

Football. US should change it to handball instead. Or egg catching.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,539

Post#80 » by Kalela » Fri Aug 6, 2021 2:54 am

He is coming to Arsenal. 8-)
Fire Mazzulla

Return to The General Board